Sunglasses - do you use them on the course ?

Comments

• ProStrykerProStryker Zombie Hunter Members Posts: 476 ✭✭
    I always wear sunglasses on the course. I would prefer not to, but I am just sensitive to really bright light. I have light colored eyes, so I don’t seem to tolerate it as well. If I don’t wear them on the course when it’s sunny out, I end up with a bad headache that night, and my eyes hurt from eye strain. I have worn both polarized and non-polarized, and the polarized ones seems to feel better on my eyes, I guess from the glare reduction. Same with driving, if the sun is out, I have to wear them driving too. I have several different brands, I am currently liking Costa Del Mar’s, and Wiley X’s.
    Ping G400, 9* GD ADDi 6
    Callaway Rogue 15*, GD ADDi 6
    Ping G410 hybrid, 19*, Tour 85
    Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-GW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
    Titleist SM7 56 / 60
    Taylormade Spider X
    Titleist ProV1
  • CELTICCELTIC Members Posts: 244 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

Just have to say, you’ve got to be foolish to not wear good sunglasses at all times while playing. You only get one pair of eyes and you’ve got to protect them. I didn’t start wearing sunglasses early enough and now I’ve got issues with halos at night. Totally avoidable if I had started wearing them early on.

This is interesting to me. I'm adamant about protecting my skin, due to some skin cancer issues. My dermatologist never mentioned my eyes and you're absolutely correct about the protection factor. Now I feel a little foolish for never realizing this. I did some googling and YES, sunglasses are in my future. Maybe the sunglasses will look cooler than the bucket hat image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Driver - TaylorMade M2
    3 Wood - Mizuno JPX
    Irons 4 - PW - Calloway Apex CF16
    48, 52, 56, 58 Vokey. 10,12,14,12
    Putter - Odyssey O-works 7s
  • ronnbeeronnbee Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭
    prescription sun glasses--best thing I ever did--love them
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,283 ✭✭
    Baitkiller wrote:

Almost always have the MJs on. Many people here will recommend the Oakley glasses for golf. I have tried them and they are very nice. I am on the water every day and as such wear the Maui Jims. Some find the glass lenses heavy but after decades of use I don't notice it. For golf specific I would probably try the Oakleys if you like the designs. Just be careful, there are more fake Oakleys than real ones out there.
    Oh man yes we do have a lot of fake Oakleys and MJs in this area too.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX
    CELTIC wrote:

Socrates wrote:

Just have to say, you’ve got to be foolish to not wear good sunglasses at all times while playing. You only get one pair of eyes and you’ve got to protect them. I didn’t start wearing sunglasses early enough and now I’ve got issues with halos at night. Totally avoidable if I had started wearing them early on.

This is interesting to me. I'm adamant about protecting my skin, due to some skin cancer issues. My dermatologist never mentioned my eyes and you're absolutely correct about the protection factor. Now I feel a little foolish for never realizing this. I did some googling and YES, sunglasses are in my future. Maybe the sunglasses will look cooler than the bucket hat image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

I catch a lot of flak from the Mrs about the bucket hat but none about the sunglasses.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • MarcellusWMarcellusW Members Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Several years ago I stopped wearing polarized lenses after reading an article in Golf Digest or Golf Magazine.

I always wear prescription sunglasses when I play. Polarized lenses cut down on glare. But, there was an article in one of the magazines that said non-polarized lenses were better, because the polarized lenses flatten things out and make it harder to read the breaks on the green. I was never able to confirm that, and the 3 optometrists I asked about this all looked at me like . . . whatever dude.

I did notice that my depth perception improved substantially with non polarized lenses. Beforehand, I was always looking for my ball 50 yards ahead or behind. It was a significant problem that got a lot better. Regarding breaks on the green, I think any glasses affect that. I also try to buy frames that don't need extra curvature in the lenses.
  • MooMoo Members Posts: 320 ✭✭
    MarcellusW wrote:

Several years ago I stopped wearing polarized lenses after reading an article in Golf Digest or Golf Magazine.

I always wear prescription sunglasses when I play. Polarized lenses cut down on glare. But, there was an article in one of the magazines that said non-polarized lenses were better, because the polarized lenses flatten things out and make it harder to read the breaks on the green. I was never able to confirm that, and the 3 optometrists I asked about this all looked at me like . . . whatever dude.

I did notice that my depth perception improved substantially with non polarized lenses. Beforehand, I was always looking for my ball 50 yards ahead or behind. It was a significant problem that got a lot better. Regarding breaks on the green, I think any glasses affect that. I also try to buy frames that don't need extra curvature in the lenses.

I'm certain it's a personal preference, but I have both polarized and non-polarized glasses in the exact same frames (same lens curvature exactly). I putt far better with the non-polarized pair. I used to flip up the polarized pair when I was putting, as I found it more difficult to find the correct line. I'm sure many people have the exact opposite experience.
    Driver Number One: Titleist 910 D2 with Diamana White
    Driver Number Two: Titleist 910 D3 with RIP Alpha
    Mizuno MP 54 P-4
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Epic 5 wood with Rogue Black
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • 118811118811 Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Living on Oahu I always wear sunglasses...till I hit or putt.

Have never been able to get comfortable over the ball in them!

Aloha
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,207 ✭✭
    Smith Photochromic/polarized, Sundog polarized and another cheaper pair ($20-$30) called Maxx sold at golf shops. Great optics for the money.
  • dosailedosaile dosaile ClubWRX Posts: 820 ClubWRX
    Big fan of Smith chromapop lenses for golf.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    When I do wear sunglasses, prescription lenses are life changers. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • kasparaitiskasparaitis Members Posts: 96 ✭✭

I wear sunglasses whenever I'm outside, rain, overcast whatever. Since I've had LASIK I have to, my eyes are super sensitive to the sun now. I have a few pairs of gascans with prism lenses.

^^ I'm in the same boat, less the LASIK. I'm wearing *script sunglasses, but in general have sensitive eyes, so I wear mine the minute I step outside.
    J715 B5 9.5° - Fujikura XLR8 Pro 60 TX
    SYB FC-714 15° - AD DI7s
    Miura Giken 20° hybrid - MCH 80s
    Miura PP9003-SN 5 - GW - Veylix Alpina 873
    Miura 1957 K-Grind - 55° | 59°

PRGR Red 9.5° / J33R 8.5°
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14° - AD DI7s
    Tourstage z101 3 - PW - Satin PX5.5
    HiBore 19° hybrid - Matrix Ozik Altus
    Royal Collection DB forged raw - 48° | 52° | 59°

Yamada Emperor-55
    Hiro Matsumoto
  • NCLancerNCLancer from Northern New York to The Triangle Members Posts: 195 ✭✭

When I do wear sunglasses, prescription lenses are life changers. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

This I totally agree with. With my slight distance prescription in a pair of photochromatic sunglasses the ball pops and I can follow it easily. I couldn't play at all in my regular glasses (no-line bifocals). The ground/ball seemed as though they were moving...not a comfortable feeling. YMMV.
  • N8dogg2669N8dogg2669 ClubWRX Posts: 99 ✭✭
    I can't play golf without sunglasses, **** I can't go outside without sunglasses. My eyes just can't handle it. I have multiple pairs of Oakley Sliver sunglasses with polarized lenses. I never really had an issue with reading greens with the polarized, but I recently switched to Electric Knoxville sunglasses with the Rose lenses. It's amazing. The depth and ability to see grain is really nice. Couldn't believe what I was missing out on.
  • 8overpar8overpar Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    I'll be the oddball and say I went with Wiley X Climate Control in an amber polarized lens. For a very long time I went with Oakley M frames (Duval style) until I tried a polarized lens once for driving. The frames I have include a removable seal that keeps dust out and blocks more light. They also help out a bunch in the winter.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 915F 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 716CB - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52/08 (F) - KBS Tour-S
    Scratch                   56/06 - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60/04 (L) - TT Wedge flex
    CNC SS Xenon Element
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I have the older (radar?) Oakley with a one-piece vented G30 Iridium lens and have been wearing them on the golf course for years.
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
  • taouilmtaouilm Members Posts: 15
    Don't hate playing with sunglasses but don't do it often.
  • Jay ZGJay ZG Members Posts: 183 ✭✭
    I can't imagine doing anything outside without a good pair of sunglasses. Then again I live at 8,000 feet (high altitude = high UV intensity) in a place that gets a lot of sun.
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    Oakley Half Jackets 2.0 XL G30 polarized. Love them.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • EBGEBG Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    I played my first round in sunglasses yesterday, simply because I forgot my hat. However.. I loved it! I just had my Ray Bans, which weren't all that bad, but I'd like something that sits a bit tighter and don't move around when I swing. I'm thinking of getting the Oakley Crossrange.

Should I go polarized? Has anyone noticed any difference when it comes reading greens, looking down at the ball etc., comparing polarized and non-polarized lenses?

Thanks!
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Kuro Kage Tour Issue
    Titleist TS3 15* Aldila Rogue M-ax low
    Titleist TS2 19* Aldila Rogue M-ax low
    Nike VR Pro 4-PW
    Nike Engage 52sq, 55sq, 58ds
    Nike The Oven 006 / 001
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    Yes.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • Drainey15Drainey15 Members Posts: 36
    I only wear sunglasses on the back of my hat so everybody knows I’m a big deal.
  • wacky wombatwacky wombat Members Posts: 106
    Started wearing Oakley's Golf PRIZM line last year, and now I never go on a course without them, even when it rains.

While they protect your eyes, they also do an incredible job at making your ball more conspicuous when you're in the rough (by darkening the grass, and enhancing the color of the ball); makes the ball much easier to find. The lenses also display many of the contours in a green you can't see with the naked eye.

I highly recommend them.

Here's a sample link to a pair: https://www.oakley.com/en/men/sunglasses/performance-lifestyle/targetline/product/W0OO9397?variant=888392332349
  • Dash BoogieDash Boogie Hole in Three Members Posts: 127 ✭✭
    This thread has convinced me to keep sunglasses in my bag!

Driver: Ping G400 Max, UST Mamiya ATTAS Coool 6S
    Fairway: Ping G25 4 wood, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7S
    Irons: Taylormade P790, Mitsubishi OTI 105 S
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 4, 56 and 60
    Putter: SeeMore DB4X

• sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭
    yes, but I buy cheap because I break them often. Typically buy those Maxx HD ones for $19.95 from the counter tops at the pro shops.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    sdandrea wrote:

yes, but I buy cheap because I break them often. Typically buy those Maxx HD ones for $19.95 from the counter tops at the pro shops.

The cheap ones will do more damage to your eyes, because your eyes are dilated while wearing glasses, and the cheap lenses will not block all the bad stuff. Just FYI.

I have light blue/grn eyes and when the eye doc commented about how little sun damage my eyes have I told her what sunglasses I wear. Her comment was anything that wraps around to prevent scatter from coming in, with quality lenses is what people should be wearing. But then fashion is more important to some.
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,207 ✭✭
    wrmiller wrote:

sdandrea wrote:

The cheap ones will do more damage to your eyes, because your eyes are dilated while wearing glasses, and the cheap lenses will not block all the bad stuff. Just FYI.

I have light blue/grn eyes and when the eye doc commented about how little sun damage my eyes have I told her what sunglasses I wear. Her comment was anything that wraps around to prevent scatter from coming in, with quality lenses is what people should be wearing. But then fashion is more important to some.

Agree with wrapping around providing best protection. However there are many less expensive like Maxx that also provide 100% uv protection. Surprisingly I've been told many optometrist can test your sunglasses for uv protection, which is something I learned recently.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭
    wrmiller wrote:

sdandrea wrote:

Yes, Thanks! These are rated pretty high on the UV protection. It's funny this thread just caught my attention, because one of my D Maxx sunglasses broke today and I just ordered another set of wraparounds. They are still $19.95!
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • ef131313ef131313 Members Posts: 99
    My research indicated green lens were better for green reading and brown lens for tracking balls in flight. Since I mainly golf solo I went for brown and have been satisfied. As for polarized I vote yes because my vision is more important than my golf game. Please don’t take away my WRX membership for saying that
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,413 ✭✭
    i've started wearing them more and more -- i got a really bad eye infection last year getting some pollen in my eye. tear ducts got blocked in my right eye - crazy painful. started wearing them since, especially if it's windy.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* / DRIVER SHAFT TBD
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"