Should I sell my driver?

hypergolfhypergolf Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭
I just replace my 909D2 driver which i have used for the past 10 years with 915D3. I am planning to sell it off but the other side of my brain is so emotionally attached to my old big gun that I don't really want to let it go. But I don't really need 2 drivers... Have you guys came across this kind of situation before? Should I sell it or just keep it? Call me weird but I really am having a difficult time letting go...

Comments

• WanLeftyWanLefty Members Posts: 463 ✭✭
    Only 2 drivers? I kid I kid.

Just weigh up if you think it's worth it to sell - I'd say you won't get much for the 909 so I'd just keep it, especially if it was a good performer. That way when the 915 misbehaves you can bench it and put the 909 back in.

Wan
  • Damo75Damo75 Members Posts: 711 ✭✭
    I just bought the TS3. I've had a 905R, 907, 910, 913 and 915.

I've sold all except the 905R - it's never going anywhere.
    Titleist TS3 Even Flow 75X
    Taylor Made M2 Tour 3HL Kuro Kage
    Titleist 718 TMB 3-5 Project X PXi 6.0
    Adams A4 Tour 6-W DG X100
    Cleveland RTX 2 52, 56
    Brodgestone Prototype 60
    Taylor Made Spider Tour Red
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    I would definitely sell it. I hate clutter. I won't buy anything new without getting rid of the old.
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    No just buy an extra golf bag so you have somewhere to put all your spare golf clubs

Sorted, you're welcome

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*
    Titleist AP3/AP2/MB Irons 4- PW
    Titleist SM7 Black 52/58*
    Scotty Cameron California fastback

• MarkAJonesMarkAJones Jonesy Members Posts: 228 ✭✭
    909 is an ace driver. I started back with one, bought off ebay.

No adjustable hosel, no fussy weights. Taught me how to control face and became a real fairway finder.

I love my M1 but when it does have an off day, I hanker after 909....
    Hart Common Golf Club, Westhoughton, United Kingdom

WITB:

Driver:
    TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Stiff 10.5
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 Hybrid #2 Kuro Kage Stiff Set at 15.5
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 Hybrid #3 Kuro Kage Stiff Set at 18
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 Hybrid #4 Kuro Kage Stiff Set at 22.5
    Irons: Ping i200 5 - PW AWT 2.0 Stiff Green dot +1inch
    Wedge 1:
    Ping Glide 50 degree CFS Wedge Flex Green dot +1inch
    Wedge 2:
    Ping Glide 54 degree CFS Wedge Flex Green dot +1.25inch
    Wedge 3:
    Ping Glide 58 degree CFS Wedge Flex Green dot +1.50inch
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Cadence 375g

Gamer Ball: Bridgestone B330RXS
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
    The only clubs I keep on the theory that I might go back and use them again are putters.
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW - Mamiya Recoil 95/110
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    Taylor Made 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,277 ✭✭
    hypergolf wrote:

Should I sell it or just keep it? Call me weird but I really am having a difficult time letting go...

OK, you're weird. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

If it's really a dilemma, and the resale value isn't enough for a dozen balls, then stash it in the back of the garage and let your kids throw it away after the funeral.

(my kids are gonna need a dumpster)
  • slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭
    It’s not like a 909 is going to bring in much cash, keep it around if you feel attached to it. I don’t see any problem there. I’m not a collector at all, I only have one driver at the moment, but I’ll hang onto a club I’ve loved and used for a long time too....just never had that with a driver. I have an old 909 3 wood though that I love. It’s beat to **** so no point selling anyway but I go back to it from time to time just for fun. It always plays well for me.
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    Not worth much, but I would still sell it. If you keep it the first bad day you have with your new driver you will be putting it back in the bag and adding further confusion.
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,191 ✭✭
    I have quite a few drivers in my stash and usually not sell them because of emotional attachments and provide great feel and ballflight (like my r510tp and 983k). I'll only sell it if I absolutely hate it. I sold my R1 and R11s after a few weeks of hitting it and trying to sell off a 10.5d SLDR head off of Craigslist.
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 980 ✭✭
    I usually don't sell them, because resale is lousy on the older drivers. That said, I don't have too many older drivers. My son grabs some, or I just give them away to people who need them. Much more satisfying than making $20.
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,013 ClubWRX
    Keep it. It isn't worth a whole lot... not to say its not a good driver. Just keep it as a backup for when the 915 gets sideways.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS yellow 76 6.0 
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB Nippon Modus 120s  4-P
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,334 ✭✭
    hypergolf wrote:

I just replace my 909D2 driver which i have used for the past 10 years with 915D3. I am planning to sell it off but the other side of my brain is so emotionally attached to my old big gun that I don't really want to let it go. But I don't really need 2 drivers... Have you guys came across this kind of situation before? Should I sell it or just keep it? Call me weird but I really am having a difficult time letting go...

I always keep a winning driver as a backup - in case I change my mind.
    Boyhood, like measles, is one of those complaints which a man should catch young and have done with it, for when it comes in middle life it is apt to be serious. - P. G. Wodehouse
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
  • benclabbenclab golfn702 Members Posts: 1,625 ✭✭
    I say don't sell it. You're not going to get a lot for it, maybe 20 to 40 bucks, so might as well keep it just in case the other one cracks or decides to go array on you.
    TaylorMade M1 8.5* w/ Speeder 661x (testing M5 9* w/ KK60x)
    Titleist 915 Fd 15* and 18* w/ Diamana WB 80x
    TaylorMade PSI tour 3 iron w/ PX 6.5
    TaylorMade MB 4 thru 9 w/ PX 6.5
    Mizuno T7 48*, 52*, and 58* w/ DG
    Odyssey RX VLine Fang or RX #1; 33 inches
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,101 ✭✭
    Trade it in , go to Callawaypreowned .com and I think there

Are others, see what the trade value is and get something else.

Keeps the clutter of old clubs that may not see the light of day again

Down to a very manageable few.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,280 ✭✭
    Since it is not like the 909 is worth alot, just keep it in case you either can't hit the other one as well (bad day or week) and need a change or if you break the main one some how and have to wait for a replacement.
  • SammyShafSammyShaf Members Posts: 288 ✭✭
    I think that it is only putters and fairway woods that people agree to hoarding. I keep an old Rife Aruba that I stamped effectively nuking resale value. I also have an original rocketballz tour 3 wood with a grafalloy blue sitting out. I think part of the fun is having clubs that you had positive experiences with. Worst case scenario if your current bag gets stolen you only have 13 to replace.
    If anything can go right, it might!
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,260 ✭✭
    You could keep it as a back up as it's probably not worth much on the used market. If you sell, you'll get what... $40? Unless you really need the cash or don't have space for the head somewhere, might as well just hang on to it.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• asw7576asw7576 Members Posts: 1,089
    edited Jan 10, 2019 12:11pm #20
    I rather keep the driver for memorabilia items, worth more than $40 .

10 years serving you faithfully ..... so much memory.
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Drivers : Taylormade RBZ S2, JetSpeed, SLDR S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Fairways : Taylormade SLDR S, Callaway X2 Hot[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hybrids : Taylormade RBZ S2, SLDRS S[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Irons : Mizuno JPX 800 HD, Yamaha Inpres X Z Cavity 2013 & Z 2016, Maruman Titus & X1 [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Wedges : Mizuno T4[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Putters : Oddyssey Tank 2 balls, Works 2 fangs[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Shoes : Footjoy DNA[/font]
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,439 ClubWRX
    Give it to your local high school! If not play it on practice days.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    Keep it for a season and if it doesnt see much daylight after the season cut it down (usually to length for 12 year old), throw some lead tape on it to get s/w back up some and give it to a jr or first tee near you.
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 577 ✭✭
    platgof wrote:

Give it to your local high school! If not play it on practice days.

This ^^^

I got tired of the back and forth changes. And now days for me it is more about the results instead of having something new and shiny(although the temptation is still there). With equipment prices where they are today, I feel if it is worth making a change I should stick with it. Therefore I have made less changes lately because I would rather stick with what works rather than be tied to the unkown.
    WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • uwhockey14uwhockey14 Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Unless you have to for financial reason's or don't care to collect things, I'd keep it... I don't sell anything, I like having the old stuff to take out to the range, me my buddies usually bring out a old club and part of the game is we have to use it once in the round, we took a Titleist 975D out one day and we all had to hit a tee-shot with it and it was part of the round and had to play the tee shot.... a lot of fun things you can do with old clubs.... I'd say keep it, don't think you will get a ton for it anyways!
    Titleist 913D2/D3 (8.5) Stiff Diamana
    Titleist 906F2 15* Aldila NV Stiff
    Cleveland LDi 21*
    Titleist 681 4-PW (Project X 5.5)
    Mizuno MP T-Series Forged Wedges (56,60)
    Cobra Greg Norman (U-Model) Putter "Boss of the moss"
    Ping Hoofer (Wisconsin Badgers)
    Driver Cover (Black Lab)
    3-Wood Cover (USA knit pom pom)
    Putter Cover (Team USA 2016 Ryder Cup)
  • pierso2pierso2 Shooters Shoot Members Posts: 2,605 ✭✭
    Personally, I'd hold on to it until you know for sure your new purchase is going to stick. That's why I kept all my drivers aside from 3 since 2012! Haha

But seriously, once you commit to a new club and don't mind parting with it, I'd suggest donating it to a local First Tee program instead of trying to trade it in. I've done it in the past and it's really made me smile to think there's some kid out there using my older clubs and hopefully getting hooked on the game. I had a few guys who did that with me when I was just getting into it and couldn't afford anything beyond a dozen golf balls and a few rounds on a caddie's budget.
    Option 1
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
    Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
    Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
    Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
    Adams MB2 GW
    Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
    Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
    Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
    Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
    16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
    Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
    Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
    Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
    Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2
  • homergolfhomergolf Bay Village, OHMembers Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    You will never get as much as it is worth. Keep it. I have the same emotional attachment to my Nike VR Tour driver that has remained with me through at least 3 new drivers, even though I never use it.
    Ping G400, 9, adjusted to 10
    Epic Flash 3-wood, 15
    Rogue 5-wood, 19
    Epic 4 hybrid, 23
    AP3, 5-48*
    SM6 54, 10
    SM6 60, 8
    SC GoLo 3, 33"

...for now
  • buntabunta Members Posts: 567 ✭✭
    I usually unintentionally hoard all my old clubs in closet for a few seasons; Then when i see something new i like, i unload the closet on ebay to fund the new club lol. It doesnt hurt as much that way
    TS3 9.5
    s55 4-PW
    SM6 50/54/58
    TP  Ardmore
  • hypergolfhypergolf Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭
    Can sell it for more than $100 where i live but i have decided to keep it until i am completely comfortable with the new driver. Hesitation to sell is already a sign not to sell. Thanks guys!
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon HertfordshireMembers Posts: 190 ✭✭
    If it was me I'd sell the head only and put the newer adapter on the shaft.

Sometimes when things arent quiet working for you, you can slot the old shaft in and see if that sharpens things up for you

11.5 - Driver - Callaway GBB (animal style) - Speeder 665 R  @ 44.5" [long T]
    15 - Mini Dr - Bertha Mini 1.5 - Motore 70 R @ 42.5" - D2.5 [safe T]
    20 - Fairway - Big Bertha - Kuru Kage Silver 70 R @ 41.5" - D2 [long fairway]
    23.5 - Fairway - F7 - Fujuka Pro 65 S (butt trimmed) @ 40.5 D1.5 [safe fairway]
    27 - Hybrid - Big Bertha OS - Kuru Kage Silver 80 R 38.5" D1.5
    32 & 36 - hybiron / 40 & 45 - cavity back - Adams Idea ('14) - Ping AWT 2.0 R - D3
    50/ 54 / 58 / 64 - wedges - Cleveland CB 2.0 * 2 / Cleveland Smart Sole 3.0 s / Callaway Sure Out
    Odyssey O’Works 2 Ball fang - MAGNA supersoft – Sun Mountain Combo Cart / Bag
    90-95 Driver swing speed (up 10mph from last year)

• NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,177 ✭✭
    10 years with one driver.....Who let you in here. Lol. In all seriousness if it’s working then keep it. I suspect you will see some better results if you change.

Good luck either way.

Hit em straight.
    Mizuno ST190 Diamana X17 70x/ST190G Tensei White 70x
    TBD
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Lowest Setting Tour AD BB 70X
    Rogue 2H Proforce V2 (new one)
    Miura CB2008 Catalyst 100 6.5 SSx1/Miura PP-9003 Steel Fiber i95 stiff 4-G
    Miura Y 49/James Patrick 54/58 or Ping Glide 2.0 50/56/60
    Machine Flow Neck/Toulon Garage San Diego (Current Gamer)

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......