Is Francesco Molinari done?

Lennon MccartneyLennon Mccartney Members Posts: 394 ✭✭

As a great fan of Italian golf, I worry that Francesco will now fall down the same path so many have after a brutal collapse/choke against Tiger...The water balls on 12 and 15 remind me of Greg Norman in 96...it is truly difficult to ever bounce back in a major again after this.. i could see him doing well in regular tour stops like Wentworth or exhibition/charity events like the Ryder cup....but I feel as though Francesco's intimidation factor is now gone and the "francesco effect" is no longer alive...i only bring this up because there are not many great Italian golfers to root for ...As an Italian-American i was rooting for Francesco to pull it out on Sunday...Faldo's career was never the same after Tiger showed him what the future of golf would look like in 97' and I fear Francesco will go down the same path...#TDO

Comments

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭

this thread can't be serious. no, he's not done. out of the entirety of the tournament, he took (imo) one bad swing; on 12.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• KillerPenguinKillerPenguin Members Posts: 577 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 3:48pm #5

Beatle (see what I did there?), I don't think you have any reason to worry. Francesco's already had the opportunity to go toe to toe with Tiger and win. Will he be as dominant as Tiger was from 2000-2004, no, but no one will ever be like that. No one who follows golf would be surprised if he picked up a major this year, and I don't think he's prone to dumb mistakes like Norman. He's also way more talented than Faldo (I see Faldo as kinda the inverse of John Daly - he made the absolute most of his talent), and I'm sure he'll be back in the major winner's circle in the next 24 months.

Post edited by KillerPenguin on
  • dropkickeddropkicked TorontoMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭

Scar tissue, in golf is a real thing and it builds as time goes on... I like franky, as I've got a lot of Pisan's who are lifelong friends, some family.. But he just gained some this weekend.. but I only think it will affect his game when he pairs with Tiger. Those thoughts will haunt Franky, for many years.

• md1mmd1m Members Posts: 791 ✭✭

Now that we've had the "what's wrong with X" post about a world class player, he's guaranteed to bounce back from his two bad holes (sheesh). Wondering when we were going to get this post.

Clubs are fluid
  • dmac4gdmac4g Members Posts: 1,259 ✭✭

Done with breakfast.......maybe. Done as a world class player, not so much.

• toctoc Members Posts: 2,773 ✭✭

He'll be fine, but I don't think there was ever really a francesco effect.

Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,260 ✭✭

Why do people jump on a pro for literally ONE bad tourney/round/swing. 12 is a much harder hole than people give credit to and he also had to go first. If anything I'd say Finau could be more affected by #12 going forward than Franceso.

He is absolutely not done winning. His swing is incredibly repeatable and his putting has improved dramatically. Just a blip that he will overcome.

WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,912 ✭✭

@gioguy21 said:
    this thread can't be serious. no, he's not done. out of the entirety of the tournament, he took (imo) one bad swing; on 12.

To be fair. Many said spieth was done with the same bad swing on 12. Some are still saying it in another threAd.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭

Guess anyone who has a let down these days are considered done.

• NJpatbeeNJpatbee Members Posts: 1,502 ✭✭

Francesco will be fine although I do believe playing the back 9 on Sunday at Augusta was the prime factor in his unforced errors. Tiger played a smarter back 9 but I doubt Fancesco was or is now intimidated by him. That being said, Tiger from 1997 to 2008 would intimidate any golfer.

• RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,690 ✭✭

Yup, sure enough Molinari will no longer be able to break par, and may very well end up in a permanent fetal position. He's been destroyed as golfer and human being.

I suspect he will be just fine.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,716 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 17, 2019 4:53pm #16

OP - he's a real nowhere man!

That's a Beatles joke, btw. Why the wringing of hands? The guy is an incredible talent, just don't see where this is coming from.

Ya know it's gonna be ........ alright!

Post edited by Hawkeye77 on
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 768 ✭✭

I don't know when this trend started on here. Everytime something happens you get a "is _______ done" thread.

He is the world #7 and reigning champ at The Open....give it a rest.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@gioguy21 said:

To be fair. Many said spieth was done with the same bad swing on 12. Some are still saying it in another threAd.

to be fair-erer...lol molinari isn't a mental case and his game hasn't fallen apart. the man is a robot. talking 2 VERY different people both in games and their mental approaches/personalities.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,640 ✭✭

@Lennon Mccartney said:
    As a great fan of Italian golf, I worry that Francesco will now fall down the same path so many have after a brutal collapse/choke against Tiger...The water balls on 12 and 15 remind me of Greg Norman in 96...it is truly difficult to ever bounce back in a major again after this.. i could see him doing well in regular tour stops like Wentworth or exhibition/charity events like the Ryder cup....but I feel as though Francesco's intimidation factor is now gone and the "francesco effect" is no longer alive...i only bring this up because there are not many great Italian golfers to root for ...As an Italian-American i was rooting for Francesco to pull it out on Sunday...Faldo's career was never the same after Tiger showed him what the future of golf would look like in 97' and I fear Francesco will go down the same path...#TDO

molinari had an "intimidation factor" ? ... seriously?

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭

I can picture it now. The OP is at home listening to the Beatles wearing giant headphones sitting near a picture of a bra-less Yoko Ono, yelling to his significant other.

OP: "Hon, Hon - I'm concerned about Francesco."
    OPSO "Who is that, the guy down the street who drives the Fiat?"
    OP: "No, the guy who went in the water."
    OPSO: "The guy from our swimming club?"
    OP: "From the Masters!"
    OPSO: "No worries, he'll bounce back."

• LambLamb LondonMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭

He will fade away in 2 years - players like him have streaks and vanish. Remember Graeme McDowell? Yeah that's another similar player. Only the likes of Rory, Koepka, Spieth will be around contending for the next 10 years.

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭

he's already overachieved through very hard work...he came through the ranks and knows..this is just golf. Tiger winning might actually make him feel fine with it. he beat Tiger last year head to head and won the Open. If Cantlay or someone had won... he would probably by heading to Bologna, drive to San Luca and skydive down...with his umbrella

Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,101 ✭✭

What a bunch of nonsense , Molinari is to good
    to write off.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • ByeBye Members Posts: 1,311 ✭✭

He has a really strong group of people around him, Dave Alred may not be very well known in golf but, but he is top performance/mental coach.

12 and 15 were more mistakes rather than bad swings.

Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
    Titleist Pro V1
  • J-BladeJ-Blade Members Posts: 747 ✭✭

Dude is the defending Open Champion. He'll be fine for quite a while, I think.

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
    Ping bronze J-Blade putter
    Titleist 910D2 driver,
    TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W
    Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
    Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW
  • Wildwing55Wildwing55 Members Posts: 288 ✭✭

No, Molinari is just getting going. Pars on 12 and 15 would likely have won a green jacket. He's got more tournament wins to go.

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,113 ✭✭

I think he will be ok as he was in the same boat with a lot of other great players who faltered...

That being said pretty much all players have a shelf life and a window where their game is hot enough to win multiple times let alone multiple majors.

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,654 ✭✭

I was actually impressed with how he scratched out the score he did in the final round. Molinari clearly didn't have anything near his "A" game that day, and the fact that that he still had the lead going into the 12th is a testament to how solid he's become. I'll be shocked in Molinari doesn't get one more major before he is done.

Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • seve1972seve1972 Members Posts: 1,049 ✭✭

OP....please do not start another thread....(for 3 years)

• ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,399 ✭✭

Post 1- LOL no he is not done
    Post 5-LOL no he is not way more talented than was Faldo.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • Back9Back9 ClubWRX Posts: 693 ClubWRX

His career-long strength has been consistent, accurate ball striking. One bad swing on 12 and one unfortunate pine cone on 15 are not going to make him lose faith in a skill that he has mastered. Now if his putting (which had been a weakness he has relatively recently improved markedly) had failed him, I could see him wondering in the back of his head whether it will fail him again. He doesn't seem like the type to perseverate over it to the point that he builds it up in his mind to be much more than it is and loses his competitive mental edge.