Anyone still using Ping Eye2 Berylliums?

mywong23 ·  
mywong23mywong23 Members  3WRX Points: 21Posts: 3 Starters

my partners tease me that my clubs belong in a museum....

I've used them since the 1980's. However I have put away the 1 and 3 irons for 5 wood and 4 hybrid.

Still love the brown patina :)

Anyone else who won't switch to new technology?

Posted:

Comments

• Old Tom MorrisOld Tom Morris Members  277WRX Points: 244Handicap: 14Posts: 277 Greens

I never liked the way they looked. The shape was funny and the lack of ferrules turned me off. However, they were and still are an excellent iron that are as good as many models out now. Nothing wrong with gaming that set, not hurting you at all.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bvanlieubvanlieu Members  196WRX Points: 68Posts: 196 Fairways

I gamed my BeCU+ until 2017, mostly original shafts (one snapped at the range and Ping reshafted it for me: go Ping!)

It was 50/50 with the bag appeal between people giving me the high five and others calling them antiques. Didn't bother me one bit, the clubs work. And to me they are art.

• b
    Posted:
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7290WRX Points: 1,355Handicap: 7Posts: 7,290 Titanium Tees

This thread had me perusing Ping BeCu and Beni Eye2 and ISI sets at 2nd Swing, last night when I couldn't sleep. Damm enablers!

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • golfunderpar18golfunderpar18 Members  395WRX Points: 180Posts: 395 Greens

Eye2’s were never produced in nickel. I do own 2 sets of BeNi isi’s though. I own 3 sets of eye 2’s in becu and 1 set in stainless (my first non hand me down set). I also have numerous “extra” eye 2 wedges In both stainless and becu.

ive had a stainless eye 2 lob wedge in my bag since I bought it new in a barrel in 1990. Swapped it out short term over the years but it always returns. I still isi it today and I can’t imagine playing bunker shots without it.

the ping eye 2 iron sets in both stainless and becu are still solid. I’m not currently gaming the sets but wouldn’t be upset to. Great clubs.

Posted:
    Post edited by Buzzkill on
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7290WRX Points: 1,355Handicap: 7Posts: 7,290 Titanium Tees

I admit I was being a bit lazy in my post, not making the distinction. 😉

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers  1650WRX Points: 187Handicap: 5....soon to be 6 I think Posts: 1,650 Platinum Tees

No but they're my dream irons. Used the stainless for best on 2 decades... They were the greatest irons ever made for me. But I'd love a set of BeCu.... Had a look while on lock down as there's a 6-pw in red dot and I'm so tempted but.... Mrs not having it considereding I've got brand new mizunos in my locker

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members  4002WRX Points: 736Posts: 4,002 Titanium Tees

I have a brand new complete set of the BeCu Eye2. Some of the clubs were hit, but the set never got played. The 7 iron still has the sticker on the grip! Good luck finding one like that. And I have the complete set from Driver to Putter (PAL-4).

Sadly, I’m never going to play them or even hit them at home. It all sits in a box packed up.

Posted:
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • dg18dg18 Members  29WRX Points: 56Posts: 29 Bunkers

Yes I still play my set of eye 2 + becu irons.Best rounds of my life with those clubs.

Posted:
  • 14max14max IllinoisMembers  221WRX Points: 79Posts: 221 Fairways

I've always been partial to the steel EYE2s, but the nickel and copper ISIs have made their way into my bag on more than one occasion. The copper EYE2s are pretty special and just seeing them sitting in a bag makes me wax nostalgic...

Posted:

Driver PING G400 SFT (10); Alta CB 55
    Wood PING G400 (15.5); Alta CB 65
    Hybrid PING G400 (22); Alta CB 70
    Irons PING G400 (6-9, W, U); Alta CB
    Wedges PING Glide 3.0 (54, 58); AWT 2.0
    Putter PING Vault Arna (35")

Woods Callaway Big Bertha Warbird (12, 18, 24)
    Irons PING Eye2 (6-9, W, S)
    Putter PING Darby (35")

• BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers  3838WRX Points: 360Posts: 3,838 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • OrangeGravyOrangeGravy WAMembers  1571WRX Points: 372Handicap: $$Posts: 1,571 Platinum Tees

Sold my 1-LW 2+ set last year, wrong lie angle. Still play a steel set of regular Eye 2's

Posted:
  • golfunderpar18golfunderpar18 Members  395WRX Points: 180Posts: 395 Greens

They are one of the best selling irons of all time - so I’d say a lot! At one time I had over 150 sets of ping irons. I’m now down to I think 8 now, but I may be missing some LOL:

• 4 sets of becu eye 2’s with the original square grooves (2 sets brand new)
    • 1 set becu set of zings (brand new)
    • 2 sets of BeNi isi’s (1 set brand new)
    • 1 set of eye 2 stainless which was my first non hand me down set my parents bought me
    • beyond that I have about 40 “extra” sw and lobs in becu and stainless. Most eye 2. Not a fan of the plus models.
    • i also have about 50 various ping putters
    • i also have about 6 sets of ping laminate woods - zings, eye 2’s, as well as various karsten sets
    Posted:
  • NorthandleftNorthandleft Members  15WRX Points: 30Handicap: 10Posts: 15 Bunkers

Have a set of eye 2 be 3-SW that we’re my dads gamers. Wondering what to do with them.

Posted:

F9
    F7 5
    F7H 3-4
    X forged U21
    MP-25 5-PW
    Mizuno S5 52/58
    Scotty Futura 5W

• cgasuckscgasucks Members  2549WRX Points: 438Posts: 2,549 Titanium Tees

The irons of a golf connoisseur.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter
  • Golfer4yearsGolfer4years Members  7WRX Points: 7Posts: 7 Bunkers

I had these in 1-LW with a GBB driver and old Anser putter. These were great to play. Even on an off day, I still was able to hit greens. Sadly, I sold the irons and someone stole the driver and putter.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  4916WRX Points: 764Posts: 4,916 Titanium Tees

I hated the way they looked back in the day. Rented some G400 irons on vacation and loved them. Bought a set when I got home and continue to love them. Thought that would temper my eye. Came across a set of Eye 2 at the local Play It Again store. Still hate the way they look. Still might buy a set and try to get over their looks. Picked up a Eye2 1 and 3 woods at the local Goodwill and need some irons to round out the vintage bag.

Posted:
  • Chelsea's dadChelsea's dad Members  19WRX Points: 25Handicap: 8Posts: 19 Bunkers

Just got a set of BeCu ISI irons this Friday! I’m a lefty, and these had JZ still shafts 1” long - felt terrible. Just restarted with a set of my trusty Nippon Modus Pro 120 only 1/2” over. Gonna be able to hit them today. They do look awesome though

Posted:
  • sirukumasirukuma Members  286WRX Points: 106Posts: 286 Greens

I had that exact same bag in same color. It's been years and I still regret the day I gave it away.....

Posted:
  • Scratch_NathanScratch_Nathan Members  1WRX Points: 67Posts: 1 Starters

When I first saw good players hitting the Eye2 BeCu irons first-hand in the 1980s... the ball flight was like nothing else... the trajectory had a "turbo boost" that didn't look like ballooning... just a rocket booster that allowed the penetrating flight to continue skyward longer than you thought possible. I'm from White Plains, NY and remember seeing Frank Bensel hit them (look him up... he grew up to be a great teacher and multiple PGA Club Professional National Champion who has played in multiple PGA Championships with the big boys)... watching that flight was intoxicating. I had to have them. Of course I could only afford clones first... but I remember the pride I had when I bought my first set of the coppers... I might have slept with them. They remain, in my mind, the greatest iron set of all time. Still own three Eye2 BeCu original square groove sand wedges... which I also believe to be the best "S" of all time. However, I think the new Glide 3.0 Eye2 wedges even improved on them... with the heel grind making them even more versatile than before.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • slantsfloodslantsflood slantsflood Members  810WRX Points: 103Posts: 810 Golden Tee

Tried everything and these still win. Tried different sets of modern tech. Today's clubs have "hotspots" in the club that's too drastic for my swing. One swing it goes 145, the next swing it goes 160.

My old ping eye 2s have no hot spots. And goes the same distance every time. Now, they may not go straight, but that's on me:-)

Posted:
    "Patience without understanding"
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13772WRX Points: 2,622Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,772 Titanium Tees

Love becu wedges in eye 2 and zing 2 and isi ... have an assortment

picked up beni isi wedges this winter in 54.5 and 61, good blend into a pm grind 64*

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 10.6* GD BB 7s
    Ping G400 3w 13.5* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Ping Blueprint 6 - PW UST Recoil 110
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400 onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite torched

• KentendoKentendo Members  39WRX Points: 39Posts: 39 Bunkers

I have always wanted a set of copper Pings. I am loving the pictures of these setups.

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* with Tensei Blue

Callaway XR 15* with UST Proforce V2

Ping I3 O-size 3-SW with JZ Cushin

Vokey SM 58*

Odyssey #7

Srixon Z Star

• GLF4EVRGLF4EVR Members  877WRX Points: 98Posts: 877 Golden Tee

Four years ago realized hybrids did not work for me so went back to long irons. I had a 3 iron, but was looking for a 2. Found a BeCu Eye 2 black on eBay. Including shipping it was just under $20. Put in a Project X psi shaft & had to add some lead tape at the bottom of the cavity. That club will never leave my bag! So I will be going the club. Next winters project will be looking for a full iron set.

Posted:
  • fore leftfore left Members  203WRX Points: 70Handicap: 10Posts: 203 Fairways

I play with a guy in the winter when we're down south, he's been playing the same BeCu set since high school! He's about a 3 hndcp.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tbccgolfertbccgolfer tbccgolfer Members  130WRX Points: 89Handicap: 5Posts: 130 Fairways

My brother still has his original set of BeCu Eye 2s 1-SW matching serial #s and a LW....I’ve tried to pry them away but no luck 🤨

Posted:

Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 Stiff

Callaway Epic 3 15* Hazrdus 6.0

Callaway Epic 5 18* Hazrdus 5.5

Cobra Fly-z Hybrid 19* Matrix 65g Stiff

Titliest H1 Hybrid 23* Tensei Red 60g Regular

Callaway Rogue Pro 5-PW UST Recoil ES 460/F3

Ping Glide 2.0 50*/12 AMT 1* Flat

Callaway PM Grind 54*/14 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 1* Flat

Taylormade TP5x

Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R

• Football55Football55 Members  10WRX Points: 68Posts: 10 Bunkers

I will put the sand wedge in my bag if playing a track that has elevated greens.

Posted:
  • Double DodgerDouble Dodger Members  165WRX Points: 67Posts: 165 Fairways

Truly sorry to hear of your loss. Golf is a wonderful game and it is meant to be spent with friends and family. It is a good thing that you have a connection to your son every time you play even though he is not with us any longer. God bless you.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cyr67cyr67 Members  184WRX Points: 65Posts: 184 Fairways

I have a mint set of BeCu Eye 2+'s, 3-LW. I reshafted them with X100's and regripped them with the GP green Victory grips...how I would have played them BITD. It always amazes me how, performance-wise, these can still hang with my current, modern irons. They were crazy ahead of their time. And they look absolutely ace!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.