True Temper Project X LS, IO & U shafts - 2020 Safeway Open

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is not my info but it is really good and I wanted to share.     The Project X IO was released in 2020 with the Project X LS and shares the new True Temper look of a matte brushed c

Posted Images

I know about the LS.  What are the specs on the other 2?

TAYLORMADE SIM MAX 8.0 / VENTUS BLACK 7X
TAYLORMADE SIM TI 3 WOOD 15 / VENTUS BLACK 7X
TAYLORMADE SIM MAX 3H, 4H / HZDRUS SMOKE BLACK 90 6.5
MIURA CB1007 5-PW / ALDILA RIP TOUR 115 X-FLEX SOFT STEPPED ONCE
CLEVELAND ZIP CORE RAW 48, 52, 58 / DGTI BLACK ONYX S400
SCOTTY CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT FLOWBACK 5

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Accra TZ6/M4, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 16*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM DHY, #4, Diamana Thump HY, 105g, X
TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 53/9F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
SCOTTY CAMERON Custom BOS Torched Newport 2 Putter
NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black

this is not my info but it is really good and I wanted to share.

The Project X IO was released in 2020 with the Project X LS and shares the new True Temper look of a matte brushed chrome finish. It is in the same weight range as the discontinued Project X PXi but has a different EI profile. It is lighter and has a low tip to butt stiffness ratio to promote a higher launch. 

Like all of the Project X models, weight increases stiffness. Unlike other shafts in the Project X family, the profile changes with stiffness. The Project X IO has a similar design although to a much smaller degree. But it is there,subtly. One might say the tip of the softer flex models is more active than the tip of the stiffer models. This is not seen in any of the other Project X models.

ProjectXIO-Chart.png

Like the Project X LS, the quality of the Project X IO defines a new level of quality. Radial consistency of the review samples averaged 99.9% with a 0.1% standard deviation. If anyone offers to bill you for Puring or spineing the Project X IO their only purpose is increasing their revenue. The tip to butt ratio indicates a high launch propensity.

ProjectXIO-Range.pngThe consistency of profiles in a set of Project X IO is perfect. Every shaft in the set ascends uniformly in stiffness from tip to butt. The Set Stiffness Range is high. This is a “Flighted” set. I can use that word in True Temper reviews because they have ownership of it in the golf shaft business. Compared to the Project X PXi the set stiffness range is 6% larger The tip to butt ratio difference is dramatically lower.  These are both good things in the weight range of the Project X IO.

The weight range of the Project X IO, 100 to 115 grams, is the sweet spot for the American recreational golfer. I find this range gives me the tool I need to get a synchronized release of elbow and hands while maintaining head rotation control through impact. I don’t expect many to understand what I just said. Experience has taught me that dispersion consistency for the recreational golfer comes from getting the weight of clubs matched to arm strength. 

These are going into my fitting kit. They are a unique mix of weight, flighting and profile that will make the Project X soft butt feel available to the recreational golfing public.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Here is the info on the LS.

The True Temper Project X LS released in 2020 has the look of the original Royal Precision Project X, it is stepless and it has a brushed finish. This is the first steel shaft I can recall from TrueTemper with a brushed finish. Unlike chrome, a brushed finish is matte, dispersing reflections. it is a great looking shaft made to very high quality and consistency standards. Lets take a close look at it and compare the LS version to the Project X. 

The Project X LS is designed for the strong golfer. They are heavy and they are stiff. True Temper’s objective with this design was to produce a shaft for the elite-level golfer, that they see as stronger, more athletic and faster than ever. This is validated by the EI Area stiffness ratings.

ProjectXLS-Chart.png

The quality of the Project X LS is impressive, Radial consistency averaged 99.9% with a standard deviation of 0.1%. It does not get any better than that. If someone suggests puring or aligning these, they are, quite simply, ripping you off. The quality continues in shaft to shaft consistency in the set I checked.

ProjectXLS-Range.pngThe set stiffness range indicates a Flighted set of iron shafts. I can use that word in True Temper reviews because they own the term as it relates to golf iron shafts. My term is set stiffness range, the difference in stiffness between the 3 iron and the wedge shaft in the set. The bigger the range, the more the irons will contribute to high launching long irons and low launching wedges. The Project X LS range is a couple of percentage points higher than the Project X. This can be an important consideration when selecting your set.

Project-X-and-XLS.gifAs you can see in this graphic comparison of the Project X to the Project X LS I do not see much difference in the 6 iron shafts. What I do see is a flighted set of Project X shafts.

I always give my fitting clients a comparison between the Project X and other steel shafts in this weight range. As you can see in the graphics, they uniquely go slightly soft in the butt. Some golfers love that feel some do not. But you will not know until you test the Project X design along side a similar weight and stiffness design that continues stiff into the butt.

It is a good thing to once again have the Flighted Project X available. It was a favorite many years ago when the Project X was in its early years. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

The IO and U look interesting.  Can't wait to give them a try.  I wonder how they compare to the Modus 105

M6 9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

3 hours ago, sbrylant said:

So how would the IO compare to the LZ...besides it being a little lighter?

As a LZ user I'd love to know as well.

Callaway Mavrik Rogue 130 white 60x
Callaway Mini 1.5 Rogue 130 white 70s 
Callaway Mavrik 5w Fujikura Pro 2.0 
Callaway Apex cf19 4-PW Project X LZ
Callaway Jaws MD5 Raw 50S, 54X Vokey WW 58V
Compass Golf Custom Flow neck