2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bryson - not a rich kid. Sounds like family struggled financially

FakeClubPro

12 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

I live in Vancouver, BC and that is true when the 70's and 80's, but nowadays its all traditional cartons and 4L and 1L jugs.  

I still buy the bags! It's cheaper. 

Not that money matters to me. I am very rich, unlike Bryson

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'll admit to trying to fry bologna many moons ago when I relied on it for cheap meals - for me the smell reminded me of Spam, which my mom used to get occasionally when I was a kid, and never liked it!  But anything creative with food is worth a try! I tend to like my nitrites cold. ?

Frying up some bologna so it looks like a sombrero is a treat!  I like the occasional spam, but have to get the low sodium variety. It’s not cheap FYI- $3+/can puts it over the price of hot dogs, processed turkey or ham or peanut butter. It’s handy though, if we are going on vacation and renting a condo I’ll toss one in the baggage along with some bread so we don’t have to go grocery shopping until after breakfast the next day. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Emthree said:

Realistically, being born in the US and paying off your mortgage puts you in the top 1% of the planet. If you can play junior golf at a competitive level, you’re not poor.

It's funny this comes up today, i read a paper on this yesterday that i found fairly shocking but when i think about it, makes sense. 

Apparently a 35K salary puts you in the top 10% in the world

100K salary makes you one of the dreaded and evil "1 percenters"

So basically a 27yr old in Norcal who lives in a woodshed behind someone else's house and eats noodles every day is in the 1%...haha.

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

5 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I still buy the bags! It's cheaper. 

Not that money matters to me. I am very rich, unlike Bryson

^ Haha you got it, bags are the norm still in Ontario, 4.49 for 4L of milk, versus 2.99 for the 1L carton. 

I ate nothing but pb&j sandwiches and bologna sandwiches as a kid for school lunches..... I never realized it was because we were "not wealthy" lol 

• Like 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

58 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

How come “not rich” is considered poor? Most of us, me included, have no idea what poor is. We were far from rich growing up and far from it now, but we’re not poor. We eat bologna sometimes, also PBJ, rice, beans, etc. We also eat ribs, chicken, steaks, salads and the like. There is a huge range from rich to poor and the overwhelming majority of us live in that range. Being poor is popular on social media so people like to say they are or were poor, all the while having cellphones, internet, cable tv, ac or heat, starbucks, closets full of clothes, sushi, cars, weekends away and all else that is staple of normal, everyday American living. 

I don’t know what it’s like to not have food for my family, not have money has for an old, unreliable car, to have to beg a landlord for extra days to pay rent, to skip meds for myself or child, to have to dumpster dive for clothes, to rely on a food bank for staples. This is poor, most of us have not experienced this and neither did Bryson. Eating bologna isn’t poor. It is economical, but a guy playing golf, traveling to tournaments and living a middle class childhood is not poor. 

Exactly.

People lose sight of what is essentially poor/middle/upper class because they are always looking upward, making them feel a class lower. For example, you might drive a BMW but feel bad about it because you see someone at work driving a Telsa, but the BMW driver doesn't really look at Honda drivers and see themselves as lucky to be a higher class of living (not that they should). 

If you listen to the video its funny, he says "i went to school without lunch money"; you can make a cheap lunch to bring for ~$1.00. A lot of times people forget how cheap/almost free food is in this country (we have overweight homeless people, separate arguement). 

Also, its asinine in a way if you're a head of household and you're choosing between eating and having your child play in a golf tournament. I get trying to help your child chase their dreams, but there's also the side of teaching them about properly caring for your family.  

7 minutes ago, Ironman_32 said:

Exactly.

People lose sight of what is essentially poor/middle/upper class because they are always looking upward, making them feel a class lower. For example, you might drive a BMW but feel bad about it because you see someone at work driving a Telsa, but the BMW driver doesn't really look at Honda drivers and see themselves as lucky to be a higher class of living (not that they should). 

If you listen to the video its funny, he says "i went to school without lunch money"; you can make a cheap lunch to bring for ~$1.00. A lot of times people forget how cheap/almost free food is in this country (we have overweight homeless people, separate arguement). 

Also, its asinine in a way if you're a head of household and you're choosing between eating and having your child play in a golf tournament. I get trying to help your child chase their dreams, but there's also the side of teaching them about properly caring for your family.  

This is kinda referred to in "the big short" where one of the investment groups base their whole strategy on betting on negative events which are undervalued. It's a psychology thing as you say, people always assume things can only get better and never worse.  People always seem to think they are worse off than they are and deserve more, especially in the Americas (including Canada). But the thought never occurs that it could go the other way

You see this all the time. I've managed a lot of people...People making 70K a year always say they work just as hard as people making 90K a year. But if you ask the same person if the guy making 50K works just as hard as them, they say absolutely not...LOL. As you say, no one ever looks "beneath" them. 

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Its like when the wife wants to go for a Sunday drive, she doesn't wanna drive through the ghetto and think about how good we've got it, she wants to drive down the parkway and look at the mansions. ??

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'll admit to trying to fry bologna many moons ago when I relied on it for cheap meals - for me the smell reminded me of Spam, which my mom used to get occasionally when I was a kid, and never liked it!  But anything creative with food is worth a try! I tend to like my nitrites cold. ?

I grew up liking fried Spam.  Still love it.  My wife won't touch the stuff.  My parents always got bologna and I hated it.  I swore my kids would never eat it, and thus far have kept that promise! But then again Spam is probably just a step away from bologna!  LOL

Edited by tbowles411
  • Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

3 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

How come “not rich” is considered poor? Most of us, me included, have no idea what poor is. We were far from rich growing up and far from it now, but we’re not poor. We eat bologna sometimes, also PBJ, rice, beans, etc. We also eat ribs, chicken, steaks, salads and the like. There is a huge range from rich to poor and the overwhelming majority of us live in that range. Being poor is popular on social media so people like to say they are or were poor, all the while having cellphones, internet, cable tv, ac or heat, starbucks, closets full of clothes, sushi, cars, weekends away and all else that is staple of normal, everyday American living. 

I don’t know what it’s like to not have food for my family, not have money has for an old, unreliable car, to have to beg a landlord for extra days to pay rent, to skip meds for myself or child, to have to dumpster dive for clothes, to rely on a food bank for staples. This is poor, most of us have not experienced this and neither did Bryson. Eating bologna isn’t poor. It is economical, but a guy playing golf, traveling to tournaments and living a middle class childhood is not poor. 

Maybe surprisingly, but most people in the 1% of the US are a hell of a lot closer to being dirt broke than they are to people like Jeff Bezos, but I digress. 

I think there is a chance that Bryson may have grown up poor, but with his recent concerns about "protecting his brand", the way he made an effort to thank his sponsors in every interview he did, and just the general way he is happy to be called the "Scientist", I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was not fact "poor" growing up, but did eat a bologna sandwich from time to time - who hasn't?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, capking said:

I’ve never seen milk in a bag, I always assumed it was an eastern Canadian thing

Mmm you'll find this exact jug in my fridge lol. 3 of these bags come in a bigger bag, and you load em into this plastic jug and nip the corner off. It's all I ever had at home as kid was bags... just normal to me haha. Blew me away to learn the rest of North America didn't get their milk the same way.

Anyways back to Bryson, I use my milk to mix my protein shakes after I workout ? haha

MILKbro.jpg

Edited by kmay__
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

I've watched the clip a couple of times and my takeaway is that he was thanking his parents for making sacrifices for him.  Maybe his examples weren't satisfactory for some of the GolfWrx crowd, but the guy was just trying to publicly show gratitude for his parents.  Maybe he used some made-up examples because the real ones are too personal...?  It's not like he'd want to say, "Hey Dad, remember that one time you lost your job and Mom had to go bag groceries to make ends meet and she'd get the expired baloney(sic) that they were about to throw out?  Thanks for that" on television.  ?

Taking is comments/examples and making them "relative to" anything else (you, me, the rest of the world) is silly.  His parents made some sort of sacrifice, relative to THEIR situation, and he's grateful for it.  I think that's awesome.

Agreed.  Obviously he didn't grow up in poverty but all  you have to do is look up his parent's careers, his dad's health issues, etc. and where he grew up and he obviously was not a country club kid so to speak.   Not putting any judgement on any of that, just easy to figure out.

Edited by chigolfer1

In the larger context, a lot of parents sacrifice for their kids in all sports, not only golf. Some make it as medalling Olympians and some as a 2020 US Open Champion. A lot of kids do not make it.

I think Bryson should be commended for thanking his parents in his moment of Glory. It wasn't about him - it's about family and team that got him there. Contrast this to 2019 Master's Champion Reed & his family woes, not a lot of love there sadly.

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

12 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

I've watched the clip a couple of times and my takeaway is that he was thanking his parents for making sacrifices for him.  Maybe his examples weren't satisfactory for some of the GolfWrx crowd, but the guy was just trying to publicly show gratitude for his parents.  Maybe he used some made-up examples because the real ones are too personal...?  It's not like he'd want to say, "Hey Dad, remember that one time you lost your job and Mom had to go bag groceries to make ends meet and she'd get the expired baloney(sic) that they were about to throw out?  Thanks for that" on television.  ?

Taking is comments/examples and making them "relative to" anything else (you, me, the rest of the world) is silly.  His parents made some sort of sacrifice, relative to THEIR situation, and he's grateful for it.  I think that's awesome.

I agree, I think parents sacrificing things for these kids is awesome, and something every parent should do. 

The major complaint I have is just the context and you define "sacrifice". 

Context- think of sports like cars, high level you have Telsa, low level you have a used Honda. It's hard to say "my family sacrificed so I can drive a Telsa", that sounds elitist. You could drive a really nice new Honda for 1/20 of the price. Same with golf, its a sport where you just about have to pay to practice/play every time. It's kind of like CEO of XYZ company getting paid bank telling a minimum wage worker than their life is just as rough.  

Sacrifice- I get maybe they traded a vacation so Bryson could play a tournament, but it doesn't sound great when you're talking about a leisure activity when people are actually out there sacrificing food so their kid can get clothes, a winter jacket, or go to a better school.  

I'm not saying that everyone who wants to play pro golf/sports should have their parents basically give away their money so said kid can play through poverty, there's just different levels for everyone. 

9 minutes ago, Ironman_32 said:

I agree, I think parents sacrificing things for these kids is awesome, and something every parent should do. 

The major complaint I have is just the context and you define "sacrifice". 

Context- think of sports like cars, high level you have Telsa, low level you have a used Honda. It's hard to say "my family sacrificed so I can drive a Telsa", that sounds elitist. You could drive a really nice new Honda for 1/20 of the price. Same with golf, its a sport where you just about have to pay to practice/play every time. It's kind of like CEO of XYZ company getting paid bank telling a minimum wage worker than their life is just as rough.  

Sacrifice- I get maybe they traded a vacation so Bryson could play a tournament, but it doesn't sound great when you're talking about a leisure activity when people are actually out there sacrificing food so their kid can get clothes, a winter jacket, or go to a better school.  

I'm not saying that everyone who wants to play pro golf/sports should have their parents basically give away their money so said kid can play through poverty, there's just different levels for everyone. 

I get what you're saying.  I do.  But look at the bolded part.  You're still comparing them relative to someone else.  If they traded a vacation so he could play a tournament, that's still a sacrifice...for THEM.  It has nothing to do with anyone else.

What's the guy supposed to say?  "Mom and Dad, I would thank you for giving up your vacation so that I could play in that tournament, but there are people out there making bigger sacrifices, relative to their own situation, for completely different reasons...therefore your actions are nullified and rendered ineligible for my gratitude."

In summary:  "What's that got to do with the price of tea baloney(sic) in China California?"  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kilo1545 said:

I get what you're saying.  I do.  But look at the bolded part.  You're still comparing them relative to someone else.  If they traded a vacation so he could play a tournament, that's still a sacrifice...for THEM.  It has nothing to do with anyone else.

What's the guy supposed to say?  "Mom and Dad, I would thank you for giving up your vacation so that I could play in that tournament, but there are people out there making bigger sacrifices, relative to their own situation, for completely different reasons...therefore your actions are nullified and rendered ineligible for my gratitude."

In summary:  "What's that got to do with the price of tea baloney(sic) in China California?"  ?

I get your point, and I agree with your point. I'm not trying to compare BAD to others (side note: I actually don't like when people do that myself; ie, if I don't have food and you don't have food or shelter, doesn't automatically make me not hungry). I'm not saying we should individually have to compare everything in our life, ie, its okay for Matt Wolff to be made for coming in second, I don't need him to say in the post round how he just happy to be there/is doing better than a lot of others/thankful he can walk/thankful for food or clothes.

Its kind of like this forum; if everyone on here had to give up golf to save a family member, I'm sure everyone (or most depending on the family member- i kid). Would that be a sacrifice to use- yes. Would it be for me, yes. But if I met someone who had to give up their lifesavings/house to save a loved one, I feel I would be a little more cerebral to think we made the same sacrifice. 

End of the day, its just something athletes say and the media pushes. Too many times listening to Drake Started at the bottom. I re-read the Rich Beem book, Bud, Sweat and Tees a while ago, they talk about how when he won the Kemper Open the TV announcers kept saying he lived in his car, which he never did. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BobMorris said:

I used to play twilight out at El Dorado years and years ago. I fully know of what you speak.

Haha there're some characters there. I figure being a long haired dude covered in tattoos; I'm among them. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

His family did fine financially.  His dad was a sales territory manager and then owned his own business for a few years.  But his dad's health was very poor for years due to diabetes and kidney failure.  It's pretty amazing his dad didn't die from kidney failure and then it was a miracle that he found a perfect match from a friend from high school who gave his dad a new kidney.

Stuff like that can put far more of a burden on a child than any financial hardship.

RH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aenemated said:

Haha there're some characters there. I figure being a long haired dude covered in tattoos; I'm among them. 

My guess is that we're around the same age. I'm sure we've taken a lot of the same hide out of the same courses in the LA area.

2 hours ago, BobMorris said:

My guess is that we're around the same age. I'm sure we've taken a lot of the same hide out of the same courses in the LA area.

Not an LA native but I've lived here for 15 years now. Turning 43 next month. And yeah, probably! Most recent round last week was Skylinks, which I actually quite like!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

9 hours ago, Kilo1545 said:

If everyone in this thread replaced rich/poor with sacrifice we could get back to the point. Whether rich or poor by anyone's standards human beings love to see sacrifice for the greater good so long as we love and admire the recipient.