2020 Masters Invitational champion is Dustin Johnson!

tiderider
Message added by BAlberstadt,

Watch along with GolfWRX Staff from leader tee off Saturday, Sunday. 

There are 4-5 guys who, when they get it going, are just tough to beat. Dustin, J Thomas, Rory, Brooks, maybe Rahm, maybe Bryson.  Helluva time to be a golf fan. Today, this year, DJ was clearly the best - and it was great to see all the emotion.  But golf is hard, guys get on runs. Can/will he sustain it next year?  It's like there are a bunch of 'almost Tiger' on tour.  Really great, exciting players.  Tough to really emerge from the crowd for a long time.  Maybe, though, this win for DJ will free him up to excel - it certainly sounds like that's what he wants.  Be fun to watch. 

And speaking of Tiger.  Somehow, that 10 followed by 75 birdies in a row, just adds to the legacy.  

• Like 2

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Late to the party because I watched the recording in Australia. Great performance by DJ but Im missed his one small opportunity.

DJ bogeyed 4 and 5 and the lead had shrunk to one. Im teed off first on the par 3 6th. If he had hit a good shot there it would have really applied some pressure and maybe given DJ the "oh no, here we go again" feeling at a major.

As it turns out, Im missed the green in a tough spot and DJ hit a great shot while knowing that Im would be struggling to save par. DJ birdied, Im bogeyed and he cruised from there. A stone cold killer like peak Tiger or Faldo might have taken that small opportunity but it was too much to ask at this stage from Im (showed great heart and touch the way he scrambled for his T2 on the back 9)

• Like 2

I do not know how the majority here felt but I absolutely did not enjoy watching the coverage of this years Masters..

Without the spectators and the noise this was not only unappealing but no amount of great shotmaking and announcer's verbose articulation the the action and history of the event could make up for the lack of a gallery.

I guess the best thing I can say about it is that it was better than nothing but if it is going to be the new "normal" I wouldn't be surprised if everyone involved in the the tv coverage better look for another job..

Sorry for my gloomy remarks in light of more serious problems the whole world is facing but as someone who has faithfully watch all Masters coverage as far back as I can remember I just can't help it..

...I will however congratulate DJ for winning his second major and wish him the best in the future..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

12 hours ago, disco111 said:

Was anyone else disappointed with the pin placement on 16? Back left was always, as far as I can remember, the final round placement and it lent itself to some great moments and a possible turning point in the tournament. 

Not really. The usual position is way too generous, that green needs a rethink.

id have to put an asterisk next to djs name for this one. Not a real Masters imo, too soft. And buggy tracks in the second cut? I was iffy about them holding this tournament, I still think they should have left it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jmvargas said:

I do not know how the majority here felt but I absolutely did not enjoy watching the coverage of this years Masters..

Without the spectators and the noise this was not only unappealing but no amount of great shotmaking and announcer's verbose articulation the the action and history of the event could make up for the lack of a gallery.

I guess the best thing I can say about it is that it was better than nothing but if it is going to be the new "normal" I wouldn't be surprised if everyone involved in the the tv coverage better look for another job..

Sorry for my gloomy remarks in light of more serious problems the whole world is facing but as someone who has faithfully watch all Masters coverage as far back as I can remember I just can't help it..

...I will however congratulate DJ for winning his second major and wish him the best in the future..

I felt the same way. I tried to get into it because I like DJ but just couldn't.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

14 hours ago, PZero said:

2017 Masters thread had 122 pages and there are normally 400+ users in the thread at the peak.

Surprised by the lack of interest.

The leaves aren't going to pick themselves up. Also, it's usually in April when the weather isn't good enough to golf in. But, we could play yesterday. It's a different month. Watch come april.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I felt the lack of fans was an issue in terms of the drama and for that it was missed. But the upside was it put the course on a better display. The beauty of the layout and terrain showed through more. It's the game's Mona Lisa. The only thing that was lacking was firmer greens and if it rains, well what is there to do. As the years pass, the front nine gets better & better.

• Like 1

Just now, bladehunter said:

Anybody else beside me gain some respect for DJ after his interviews , especially the one with Amanda on the 18TH green ?  

there’s a little more going on up there than we give him credit for if a guy  can have that much trouble talking about it .  This clearly indicates he is a duck  on the pond with regards to thought.  The guy literally couldn’t speak he was so overcome with joy inside.  .  That’s rare to see.  

Everyone thinks these guys are robotic and don't care.  DJ is another great example of a guy that just keeps it in.  He doesn't get up too much or down.  He just moves on to the next.  That rare show of emotion was cool to see.  The tournament wasn't quite the same, but it was still the Masters.  I'll take solace in that.

• Like 3

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Anybody else beside me gain some respect for DJ after his interviews , especially the one with Amanda on the 18TH green ?  

there’s a little more going on up there than we give him credit for if a guy  can have that much trouble talking about it .  This clearly indicates he is a duck  on the pond with regards to thought.  The guy literally couldn’t speak he was so overcome with joy inside.  .  That’s rare to see.  

Yeah a little

i get the vibe that he is quite well liked by his fellow pros. Well, apart from one, obviously 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

100%.  Would much rather see DJ win it and then talk about it rather than, oh let's say Bruce and his wish-I-was-playing-some-other-sport-golf-is-for-losers schtick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tiderider said:

but he's the first one to say "i don't care" as he rants about not being on anyone's radar enough ... 

I work with many engineers, on a daily basis. Very few are what I'd call "personable". Those that are, have moved up and away from actual engineering into higher positions because they *can* play well with others. 

• Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

11 hours ago, Sean2 said:

If I were in that position, and the media was stayed away from me, I would be grateful. I could go out and chances are I wouldn't be recognized. Which would suit me just fine. 

No face time with media? Good luck with your sponsors.

3 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

As it turns out, Im missed the green in a tough spot and DJ hit a great shot while knowing that Im would be struggling to save par. DJ birdied, Im bogeyed and he cruised from there. A stone cold killer like peak Tiger or Faldo might have taken that small opportunity but it was too much to ask at this stage from Im (showed great heart and touch the way he scrambled for his T2 on the back 9)

I can't wait to watch Im some more. His short game is surgeon-like. Im may end up having a better short game than Mickelson, and he just doesn't miss drives. He is more of a machine than Bryson. 

Edited by Imp

2 hours ago, milesgiles said:

Not really. The usual position is way too generous, that green needs a rethink.

id have to put an asterisk next to djs name for this one. Not a real Masters imo, too soft. And buggy tracks in the second cut? I was iffy about them holding this tournament, I still think they should have left it. 

Agreed on the pin on 16.  Frankly I'd like to see them rethink a bunch of the Sunday pins, or at least mix them up a little bit year to year, rather than just doing the same thing year after year for "tradition" or whatever.

If we're going to start giving asterisks out though, I'd give them for lack of crowds, rather than conditions.  And I should be clear that I don't think we need to give asterisks out...BUT...if we were, hypothetically, I'd go with lack of crowds.  Who knows what DJ does if he's hearing roars from up ahead as Rory makes a charge or Cam hits yet another crazy recovery shot to 3'.  Though if we're going down that road I'd say that Morikawa and BAD get the bigger asterisks as it was the first major for each of them.  No crowds takes the pressure on them from about an 11 down to a 4 or 5, IMO at least.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'll take the contrarian point of view.  I like seeing the course without people because you can really enjoy the architecture.  Nor do I really don't care about galleries. I don't need people cheering to appreciate a golf shot.

The coverage of The Masters via TV, the website and App gets better every year and is unmatched by any sporting event.  Few commercials and 5 different channels of live coverage, what more could you ask for?

Sure, Sunday would have been more exciting if it were more of a horse race but that's not unique to this Masters.

Though I still prefer The Masters in April, mainly because the course is more colorful, higher sun angle and it symbolizes the end of winter and start of golf season for many of us, I still think this was an epic event. One that I enjoyed very much.

hopefully, there will at least be limited fans in april ... we all want this 'thing' to end, but one more shot at viewing augusta, in its prime form, would be nice ... it's not really the tournament, even, that i want to see ... it's the course ... 

Edited by tiderider
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, iBanesto said:

spacer.png

Golf............. it’s not just a distance game

• Like 3

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

16 minutes ago, jmck said:

Agreed on the pin on 16.  Frankly I'd like to see them rethink a bunch of the Sunday pins, or at least mix them up a little bit year to year, rather than just doing the same thing year after year for "tradition" or whatever.

If we're going to start giving asterisks out though, I'd give them for lack of crowds, rather than conditions.  And I should be clear that I don't think we need to give asterisks out...BUT...if we were, hypothetically, I'd go with lack of crowds.  Who knows what DJ does if he's hearing roars from up ahead as Rory makes a charge or Cam hits yet another crazy recovery shot to 3'.  Though if we're going down that road I'd say that Morikawa and BAD get the bigger asterisks as it was the first major for each of them.  No crowds takes the pressure on them from about an 11 down to a 4 or 5, IMO at least.

+1 , does rorys US a open have an asterisk??

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

15 minutes ago, jmck said:

Id go with both. Crowds are a big factor, so is the softness of the greens. Was it second day dj and Rory barely made the front edge of the ninth, which in every single year would have ended up at the bottom of the hill 60 yards away? 7 as well, numerous balls holding up there on the collar.

it was relatively quite hard to make the usual Augusta mistakes this year. Even 15 after laying up, it’s still a small target to a firm green. Took a lot of pressure off the leader, I’ll call it half a major..

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ATLgopher said:

Biggest tool in the game. 

Hope DJ is dominate for a few years in majors so I can hear Bruce cry more

Brooks mentioned again about no coverage ????

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

4 minutes ago, drbonesvt said:

Rory pls figure out “round 1 (insert tournament name ) 

So very uptight to start big events ........pressing knowing that his game is more than enough yet doesn't allow his natural abilities shine......I believe he's working hard but I'd certainly love to know what's going on with his flatstick

31 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Guys, if EVERYONE is playing the same course under the same conditions,  then why is it that DJ was the only one to get to 20 under? Lakers won the NBA title,  Dodgers won the World Series.......Morikawa won the PGA and BAD won the U.S. OPEN .......stop with this silly talk of asterisk and half majors due issues not controlled by the athlete.......lack of crowds,  softer conditions ......whatever the claim , there is no way anyone is taking back the titles from any person(s) above . Your speculation on how and why means someone else might have won only leads to " yeah but" moments 

Accept and move on.......

tenor.gif?itemid=10865461

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Guys, if EVERYONE is playing the same course under the same conditions,  then why is it that DJ was the only one to get to 20 under? Lakers won the NBA title,  Dodgers won the World Series.......Morikawa won the PGA and BAD won the U.S. OPEN .......stop with this silly talk of asterisk and half majors due issues not controlled by the athlete.......lack of crowds,  softer conditions ......whatever the claim , there is no way anyone is taking back the titles from any person(s) above . Your speculation on how and why means someone else might have won only leads to " yeah but" moments 

Accept and move on.......

I’ve made peace with it but I don’t have to accord it the same respect as if it was a normal year in firmer conditions with large crowds.. it’s in the books, and that’s fine, but it wasn’t a major setup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

I’ve made peace with it but I don’t have to accord it the same respect as if it was a normal year in firmer conditions with large crowds.. it’s in the books, and that’s fine, but it wasn’t a major setup.

Plenty of PGA majors, maybe even some Opens and occ US Opens have been at less than challenging locations or conditions. Still majors. 

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 2