2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

How could anyone be a fan of Patrick Reed?

JermWRX

13 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

As is the case with all of the mysteries of the universe 

The answer to your question is revealed in Rocky movies ; )

Ivan was another one who suffered with having to deal with a domineering wife, never turns out well 😂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. I get that.  Personally I think it’s genius.  Bowing to the think tank , will only lead to let down eventually. They’ll turn on you in a second.   Going ahead and throwing up the middle finger takes  that down .  Caring about Image is fake.  Meaning  Image is manufactured.  I prefer someone to just be themselves.  

that’s the lions share of why he’s hated.  From school to now.  His teammates then didn’t like him because he wasn’t their buddy.  But he dragged them to a National title.  So they hated him more.  The herd hates someone who won’t conform.  

Why not just leave it at he received a ruling that was deemed appropriate by the PGA Tour?  Win!

For someone who just said they don't care about image, you sure seem to be putting in a lot of time defending his. 

Trying to paint a picture that he's a nonconformist who has been maligned and misunderstood is a bit of a stretch.  

Disclaimer: "I don't hate Reed, do not recall ever calling him a chronic cheater and enjoy watching him play golf". 

1 hour ago, oikos1 said:

Why not just leave it at he received a ruling that was deemed appropriate by the PGA Tour?  Win!

For someone who just said they don't care about image, you sure seem to be putting in a lot of time defending his. 

Trying to paint a picture that he's a nonconformist who has been maligned and misunderstood is a bit of a stretch.  

Disclaimer: "I don't hate Reed, do not recall ever calling him a chronic cheater and enjoy watching him play golf". 

I’d say that’s counter image.  But I’m amenable to the idea that counter is image in itself.  So touché.  

@Holy Moses said it correctly. We just love  to debate. It’s boring this time of year , I’ve been laying tile in two rooms , and that’s even worse than boring.  So a good debate in between grout sessions fit  the bill. Lol. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Historically golf has usually been particularly hard on those that cheat.  I'm not going into the specific names of the past, but some of those guys carried a scarlet letter of sorts throughout their careers.  Yet for some reason we witness Reed blatantly cheating (bunker scrape away) and yet there's a whole gaggle willing to defend him. Even someone saying the video was doctored, which the biggest pile of trash yet.  This to me is simply crazy talk and inconsistent of how cheats have been treated in the past. Or have we just reached a new standard of low and embracement of dishonesty in America?

Yes!

Although, let’s be honest..dishonesty (and far worse) has been behind the most prolific empires and fortunes throughout history!

And, of course, dishonesty, particularly in the pursuit of greatness, did not originate in the US.

So, we have guys chasing dreams and wealth in a brutally competitive arena.

Do we really think the is NOT a pro who has never either intentionally broken the rules or not called a penalty on himself when he has inadvertently committed one?

29 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

You mean like Gary player ?  Or Seve ?  😂”a wedge wedge wedge ….. no no….3wood” as he makes for a nice path to the back of the ball in deep rough.  But I digress. 

with this argument I simply have to lean on my own personal experiences .  Several here have had them.  Several more who keep them  private.  I just don’t judge people by the group thinks reactions.  That’s what it boils down to. 

LOL! especially re: Gary Player. The ones you mentioned are only the tip of the iceberg...IMO

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't love the guy, but I can appreciate when he's ballin.

Me watching golf is kinda like me watchign football.  I don't necessarily have a team, but I can appreciate when people are excellent at what they do.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

It's been reported that almost 1 million people in the US identify as Satan worshippers.

After reading this topic, it appears that Patrick Reed is just marginally below Satan, so he could have more fans than people imagine.

Not that there's anything wrong with that . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Reed is pretty interesting to watch on TV anyways. He’s getting old and boring now, but in his earlier career he produced amusement, at least for me. Stoicism isnt a character in a professional golf player that adds extra excitement for me. 

Amateur golf player stoics, on a bad day on the golf course is something else.

Edited by Hankshank

I used to despise Patrick Reed. I still think he's a poor steward of the game and its illustrious traditions.

However, about 5 months ago after he was caught (I say caught because I think it was uniformly acknowledged in the golf community and with highly respected players that he did break the rule intentionally) I got to thinking.... how many other players out on the Tour who we see regularly (or even those we barely ever see on TV) have sold out to one of the big OEM's for big money and have probably cost themselves some performance?

You have to hand it to Reed, he hasn't backed down from his stand that he did nothing wrong, no matter how loud the scrutiny and he's plenty happy to be an outlaw out there and has taken that energy and used it to fuel his playing. He also plays what seems to work best for him and not what he's told to.

I'd be watching his every move if I was playing with Patrick, but then again, now he's got me distracted from my own game and that can't be what I want.

Not a fan, but not a hater. Not really sure what to think. I read in Golf Digest or Golf Magazine (can't remember) that he's friends with Webb Simpson. That should mean something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, putterboy75 said:

I used to despise Patrick Reed. I still think he's a poor steward of the game and its illustrious traditions.

However, about 5 months ago after he was caught (I say caught because I think it was uniformly acknowledged in the golf community and with highly respected players that he did break the rule intentionally) I got to thinking.... how many other players out on the Tour who we see regularly (or even those we barely ever see on TV) have sold out to one of the big OEM's for big money and have probably cost themselves some performance?

You have to hand it to Reed, he hasn't backed down from his stand that he did nothing wrong, no matter how loud the scrutiny and he's plenty happy to be an outlaw out there and has taken that energy and used it to fuel his playing. He also plays what seems to work best for him and not what he's told to.

I'd be watching his every move if I was playing with Patrick, but then again, now he's got me distracted from my own game and that can't be what I want.

Not a fan, but not a hater. Not really sure what to think. I read in Golf Digest or Golf Magazine (can't remember) that he's friends with Webb Simpson. That should mean something.

Here's what people forget.....players are fully aware of the guy holding the camera approx. ten feet or so behind them. I refuse to believe that PReed is that stupid to think the cameraman is not documenting his activities. What ever happen to the long standing unwritten rule of giving the player the benefit of the doubt///??? In the past, as long as I can remember the rule officials would always, always take the players word for it if he said that he was unaware of a rules violation. when did we go to guilty until proven innocent..If we had a camera on every player in a waste bunker it would not surprise if more than PReed did the exact same thing.....JMO

If you re not going to believe PR then don't believe anyone. Obviously there's more than one way to determine what is on the video and if you can't bring yourself to admit that at least then PR is not the problem....IMO

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Here's what people forget.....players are fully aware of the guy holding the camera approx. ten feet or so behind them. I refuse to believe that PReed is that stupid to think the cameraman is not documenting his activities.

That is exactly why he palmed the ball removing it from the rough, he's a magician

8 hours ago, Gsea said:

That is exactly why he palmed the ball removing it from the rough, he's a magician

Obstetrician-magician is the official title.  A hard double major to finish.  

( bonus points for the origin of that term ). 😂

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 11/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, bscinstnct said:

Maybe this whole “gentleman’s game” of honor thing is overrated 

🤣

Like in every other sport, ams are expected to honor the rules but PROS DO ALL THAT THEY CAN TO EVADE THEM!

Hey Brotha, I hope that ya had a nice season and all's well👊

The last nine words of you last sentence in your above post is second only to a quote from a 3-Time Super Bowl MVP & HoF QB(I realize that he's not the originator of the quote🤪) who chirped this quote about another then 3-Time Super Bowl MVP & future HoFer, IF he ever decides to retire....

"If You ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin"

A myriad-USGA Champion and one of the two Classiest Principled and Most Honest AMs that I've ever met, Played with/against and gotten my *ss totally kicked by echoed the same sentiments in his experiences in the Big Dog Tour events. 

And yah, at least two of the names would STUN most of you.

That said, my thoughts and feelings about Patrick(and Justine) have been posted previously. 

Those who do not share them and who think that he's the biggest piece of sh*t💩 to carry a card this century most certainly have that right to their thoughts and opinions, and I have never nor would I ever try to change someone's mind as all that I do is post my experiences if I've had them along with my opinion(s).

That said, I'll tell ya one thing Gents.....

For money and if given the choice, I would ALWAYS take Patrick on my team versus not or even worse, on the opposing team😉

Stay Healthy Brotha👊

With that, I bid you Ladies & Gents adieu🍻

RP

88D123A3-B403-45D9-B202-610A6714853C.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

17 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

Hey Brotha, I hope that ya had a nice season and all's well👊

The last nine words of you last sentence in your above post is second only to a quote from a 3-Time Super Bowl MVP & HoF QB(I realize that he's not the originator of the quote) who chirped this quote about another 3-Time Super Bowl MVP & future HoFer, IF he ever decides to retire....

"If You ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin"

A myriad-USGA Champion and one of the two  Classiest Most Honest AMs that I've ever met, Played with/against and gotten my *ss totally kicked by echoed the same sentiments in his experiences in the Big Dog Tour events. 

And yah, at least two of the names would STUN most of you.

That said, my thoughts and feelings about Patrick(and Justine) have been posted previously. 

Those who do not share them and who think that he's the biggest piece of sh*t💩 to carry a card this century most certainly have that right to their thoughts and opinions, and I have never nor would I ever try to change someone's mind as all that I do is post my experiences if I've had them along with my opinion(s).

That said, I'll tell ya one thing Gents.....

For money and if given the choice, I would ALWAYS take Patrick on my team versus not or even worse, on the opposing team😉

Stay Healthy Brotha👊

With that, I bid you Ladies & Gents adieu🍻

RP

88D123A3-B403-45D9-B202-610A6714853C.jpeg

Richarrrrd! Great to hear from you ; )

Golf must have high standards for honesty with the rules, of course. You got 150 guys out there and nobody really “officiating” in the sense other sports do. It’s a good thing.

But, yeah, I’m thinking if we are talkin pros, with a lotta money on the line, be surprised is there were very many who NEVER at least didn’t call something on themselves when nobody was looking. And we have seen how they ain’t shy about taking all kinds of bs drops, claiming stance interference, changing clubs/tamping down rough. 

Bryson tried to get relief from freakin ants! 🤣 

So, PR, he just pushed it too far with the sand. But hope he keeps his nose clean, doesn’t need to cheat out there.

PR like that kid you know when you were young. Fight dirty, have like strange weapons in his car, but you want to have him around late night if things get outta hand ; )

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"if you can't beat 'em, cheat 'em" ... but why would Patrick cheat if he's already beating 'em?

Whoever said he was getting boring in the posts above is on to something though. He's turning into a typical, poorly dressed, run-of-the-mill PGA Tour player since coming back from being injured, or sick, or whatever happened a few months back. I don't know because I don't care that much to spend valuable time following and monitoring a golfer I've never met / won't ever meet. Obviously based on the 29 pages of responses to this question (27 1/2 of which I skipped due to the aforementioned rationale) others don't feel the same. They should be practicing their short games IMO.

JM2C

• Haha 1

I think if I had to give PR a compliment the thing I do admire about him is the fact that he knows he's disliked by a lot of people but he truly and sincerely doesn't give a crap if you like him or not. A lot of people SAY they don't care  but their lying. PR isn't. I do like to watch his short game though. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Man made a choice between wife and his parents. I don’t know who is right or any of them are right. He may not be anyone’s favorite but damn he’s good.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B