Anyone else own blades even though you’re “not good enough” to play them?

TiScape

A few years ago when the MP18s came out and I was single, there was a demo set on ebay for $600. I figured if nothing else I'd make a cool display or something if they didn't work out. Mid way through winter, I'm like, "Screw it, I'll build some monsters with Project X 6.5 in them and see if I can hit them." I by no means believe these are the best iron for me and my next ones will be something along the JPX Tour or MMC line, but these things have been very good to me. Given, I came from maybe the worst iron Mizuno has made in the MP25s, but I've been stunned by the forgiveness. I was actually pretty set on hunting a set of JPX Tours over the winter but ended up sticking with these for at least another year. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My KZG 7 iron is deadly! Wow, I am killing greens. Prefect launch, minimal run out, just sweet. I am so happy I went this route, these clubs are incredible.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

IMOP toe shot is as bad in GI shovels as it is Blades - or if I’m not warmed up hitting thin.   None of which is fixable via club tech 

guilty as charged 

• Like 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

19 minutes ago, drbonesvt said:

IMOP toe shot is as bad in GI shovels as it is Blades - or if I’m not warmed up hitting thin.   None of which is fixable via club tech 

guilty as charged 

There are times I get a little lazy with my 9i and that b**** goes straight out off the toe. My next shot is off the next fairway slightly further than I was the first time. 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

• 3 months later...

I am making the change from my Acer XV Tour blades to Titleist 990B's which are a small cb but supposedly play more like a blade. I hit my Acer's good but I have always had problems with short irons. However, I recently bought a DCI LW and was surprised how light it felt and how easy it was to get the clubface square. It turns out the hosel is much longer than the Acer plus not near as much weight on the toe so that makes it feel lighter. It has convinced me that I need to try some old school irons so I ordered a set of 990B's. Even though I am a 12 hc. (estimated) I am poor with my short irons on anything less than full swings especially with pitches and I rarely get up and down. On the contrary I hit my mid and long irons pretty straight. I will only be playing the 5 iron to P so I think I can handle it, after all the old 5 iron is more or less a strong 6 iron by today's players irons standard. Wish me luck.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I am about to put my blades back in the bag. I like the split cavity, but they aren't as enjoyable. A little less frustrating to some degree, but not enough to prefer them 

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

When I'm feeling froggy and it's the right kind of course, I'll take out my Ping i500s and play MP-18s, MP-33s, or Whitlam Blades.

But that's happening less and less. 

WITB:

Driver: PXG Gen 5 0311 XF 
3 Wood: PXG Gen 4 0341X 

7 Wood: Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850 3H 

Irons: Ping i525 5-PW, Mizuno MP-H5 3 iron

Wedges: TM MG2 52*, Mizuno T7 56*
Putter: SC GoLo Select murdered out custom welded neck
Ball: Snell MTB Black

I’ve got a set of 990 and MP-37 that I will hit at the range occasionally.  Quickly reminds me that my ball striking always needs improvement.  

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I just picked up a set of 714 MB from a member here and I am glad I did... was more of a drunk purchase but man, I really do love playing these things.  They are nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be, pretty forgiving for a blade actually.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

About time the USGA and R&A banned these new fangled  cavity backed GI and SGI irons and maybe metal headed drivers and fairway woods for that matter.

When I first had a go at golf in the 1960's all irons were blade types and handicaps and varying skill levels probably just as good and varied but it was a bit more of a level playing field and a handicap was more to do with your skill level than being disguised by the type of club design.

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:53 AM, Forged4ever said:

Things came together for me that week, I stuck some irons, made some putts and beat a future National USGA Champion in the semis and closed out the then Oakmont Club Champ in the finals for the Victory. I'll never forget that everyone, from my Club Pro, Father, Bro and Best Bud, to that USGA Champion that I beat and finally Maddie, even though I told her that she was partly responsible for the switch,😂😂thought that I was bat sh*t crazy for takin the 68's outa the bag, however I was swingin arguably the best that I had in my life(+2.8), and while I considered that first dream a fluke, I took that second dream as gospel, lol. Pete always said that I was his most hard headed student, rivaling his younger Bro, cuz when something worked, I rode that b*stard 6' deep into the ground and didn't change/switch till it quit working, lolol. 

Good story, inspirational.  I especially like anyone that's bat sh*t crazy at times when others least expect it.  It's a hard road best traveled by hard-headed people when they think they know best while everyone around us thinks we're nutso.  Have a great day.

Side note, thanks to CAD, most blades today are easier to hit than blades of years past.   If you question your ball-striking skill, you're either bat sh*t crazy or wise beyond your years as you pass on by 620 MBs. 😛

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Throughout the 1950's and 60's muscle back blade designs were the only irons available, and lots of great shots were played with them from beginner to Tour pro skill level.  The cavity back irons available during the 1970's, 80's 90's were fine , and the perimeter weighting is helpful for most players. But in the most recent 20 years iron heads have become so over sized that I believe it's counter productive. 

So, I think what matters most is head size. When the head size becomes to large it is more difficult to square at impact, especially from less than idea lies. Several  years ago Mizuno introduced an over sized head muscle back design (MP5) , but I think players found it hard to strike consistently solid shots with such a large head.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 3/11/2021 at 4:37 PM, Tre4ISU said:

A few years ago when the MP18s came out and I was single, there was a demo set on ebay for $600. I figured if nothing else I'd make a cool display or something if they didn't work out. Mid way through winter, I'm like, "Screw it, I'll build some monsters with Project X 6.5 in them and see if I can hit them." I by no means believe these are the best iron for me and my next ones will be something along the JPX Tour or MMC line, but these things have been very good to me. Given, I came from maybe the worst iron Mizuno has made in the MP25s, but I've been stunned by the forgiveness. I was actually pretty set on hunting a set of JPX Tours over the winter but ended up sticking with these for at least another year. 

" Screw it, I'll build some monsters", thats a great line.

21 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Throughout the 1950's and 60's muscle back blade designs were the only irons available, and lots of great shots were played with them from beginner to Tour pro skill level.  The cavity back irons available during the 1970's, 80's 90's were fine , and the perimeter weighting is helpful for most players. But in the most recent 20 years iron heads have become so over sized that I believe it's counter productive. 

So, I think what matters most is head size. When the head size becomes to large it is more difficult to square at impact, especially from less than idea lies. Several  years ago Mizuno introduced an over sized head muscle back design (MP5) , but I think players found it hard to strike consistently solid shots with such a large head.

That's a good observation, I can't hit the larger clubs.

I'll add something else I found out recently. If one has a handsy takeaway the modern clubs with a lot of weight on the toe and less in the hosel feel very heavy compared to the older ones. I did not know this until I bought a DCI LW and it feels much lighter than my Acer Tours even though is is 35 grams heaver at the same length. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I WAS good enough at one point and used Mizuno MP30's from 2003(still play them for now). These days, getting older and not playing as much as I used to(no more league play), they are tough to play. I still have some great rounds with them but they are to unforgiving for me now. More miss hits and not as much length. So I'm moving on to the Ping G425 irons(if they ever come in).

Me of old - Good enough to play blades

Me of today - Not so much

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Driver, 3W, 5W - Aldila Rogue White 130 shafts

Ping G425 3 Crossover Iron - Aldila Rogue Black 95TS shaft

Ping G425 4-PW, UW Green Dot, Power Spec, AWT 2.0 S shafts

Vokey 56 degree 14F Sand Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Labs Tuttle Mallet putter

They do tend to be harder to hit the older and less you play. I say who cares what you play as I see many golfers using SGI irons and well at least they are out doing something besides sitting at home doing nothing. Sometime I think maybe they were hand me down clubs and don't know any better

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip