2021 Players Championship (1st major of the year)

KRAMER1997

So so pumped for JT to win! I felt awful yesterday and spent most of the afternoon flat out but by the time I went to bed, I was feeling an awful lot better in myself watching JT get the W.

It was a pure ball striking clinic. His driver had been the club that was letting him down so far this season and he seemed to cure that ill over the weekend. Adding that to his laser beam irons and even with a cold cold putter he was golden. On the front 9, it seemed like one of those days but the bogey on 8 seemed to spur him into action. Delighted to see it!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Glad that I wasn’t the only one that thought that Steve Sands interview was scrapping the barrel. Just awful. This week, Sky Sports had Tom Abbott doing post round interviews and he was terrible, but in those 3 or 4 questions, Steve Sands made Abbott look like David Frost.

• Haha 2

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

9 hours ago, luke1333 said:

Why does Bryson not hit driver on 18 and cut the corner? Even if he ends up in rough past pine straw no big deal that close to green right??? JT and Westie took a much more aggressive line

Because if you saw the graphic they showed for him (and almost everybody else) that showed his historical scoring on 16, 17 and 18 in relation to par, he was under par for both 16 and 17 and +7 on 18.  And that has primarily been driven by him hitting driver.  So he's taking bogey out of play now with iron off the tee and over time that +7 number will start to come down.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I felt like this tournament has the pros on edge more so then others. Anyone else feel that way?  I watched Bryson top a tee shot, followed by West wood slice his drive and meanwhile on 17 some guy literally shanked his tee shot with a wedge!  Few minutes before JT missed a 2.5 footer.  Lots of nerves running out there.  

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Just now, bbfifas said:

I felt like this tournament has the pros on edge more so then others. Anyone else feel that way?  I watched Bryson top a tee shot, followed by West wood slice his drive and meanwhile on 17 some guy literally shanked his tee shot with a wedge!  Few minutes before JT missed a 2.5 footer.  Lots of nerves running out there.  

Poor Brendan Todd (aka “some guy”).

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

3 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Poor Brendan Todd (aka “some guy”).

Hahah Didn't see who it was, just panned the coverage over and saw a shank almost take out the TV guy. 

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

1 minute ago, bbfifas said:

Hahah Didn't see who it was, just panned the coverage over and saw a shank almost take out the TV guy. 

Haha, no worries! It was so bad that you wouldn’t want to go and watch it again.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

4 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

I read this AM that BDC claimed he cracked his 4-iron on that shot after taking the drop after topping his drive into the water, which was why it went into the junk to the right.

Funny, as someone who is one of the more vocal players out there, I can’t remember hearing him saying anything about it when he was on the course yesterday. 

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

3 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Glad that I wasn’t the only one that thought that Steve Sands interview was scrapping the barrel. Just awful. This week, Sky Sports had Tom Abbott doing post round interviews and he was terrible, but in those 3 or 4 questions, Steve Sands made Abbott look like David Frost.

Sky are another lot who are terrible for trying to crank up the drama or emotion where there is none. 'Super Sunday' for the football; all the pundits dressed like they're going to a chav wedding, hours of pre game show like it's an 80s FA cup final, only to see it's Wolves vs Southampton, mid table drudgery with absolutely nothing riding on the result.

1 minute ago, Amps said:

Sky are another lot who are terrible for trying to crank up the drama or emotion where there is none. 'Super Sunday' for the football; all the pundits dressed like they're going to a chav wedding, hours of pre game show like it's an 80s FA cup final, only to see it's Wolves vs Southampton, mid table drudgery with absolutely nothing riding on the result.

Got to have something on the TV to justify those adverts in between.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

46 minutes ago, bbfifas said:

Meh, I think it's just more the fact that unlike most courses, being a typical Florida course, a small miss puts you in water rather than just a bad position.  Put this tournament on a typical course they play and it wouldn't be so bad.  Also stimping greens over 13 has something to do with missed putts. 

Remember just because Paul Azinger says it 300 times an hour doesn't make it true.  After another one of his "biggest tournament their is" comments, I actually said to my wife "NBC is paying the PGA tour to air this, and not the other way around, right?"  

1 hour ago, tsecor said:

Congrats to JT.....he was the only guy who played like a champion down the stretch....Westwood choked. Bryson once again was bombing it 350 then hitting his wdges and irons short all day....JT was a stud down the stretch....thats wat you like to see.  

On what basis did Westwood choke? I could see the argument if he was making bogeys all over the place but he came back in one under. Yeah he three putted 17 but he left himself in a similar spot to Thomas did in two and you saw how much that putt meant to JT as well as the difficulty of it, so I am not looking at his performance yesterday as a choke.

• Like 4

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

1 minute ago, MattyO1984 said:

On what basis did Westwood choke? I could see the argument if he was making bogeys all over the place but he came back in one under. Yeah he three putted 17 but he left himself in a similar spot to Thomas did in two and you saw how much that putt meant to JT as well as the difficulty of it, so I am not looking at his performance yesterday as a choke.

I think LW lost his Legs because of his very fit and attractive GF.....if you know what I mean😏😏😉😉

3 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Haha, no worries! It was so bad that you wouldn’t want to go and watch it again.

Gonna put a hurting on Down Under Board sales! 🤣

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

7 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Had a nice lead over JT, bogeys 17...was in the sand all day, shanking shots off the hosel.....hooking shots into the woods and when the pressure was OFF, he drains a meaningless birdie on 18......not a good day for Westwood. 

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

the avg score on sunday for the top ten leaders from saturday was probably in the n'hood of -2 ... he's the only one that didn't shoot under par in the final round ... the way he lost his swing on some holes/drives indicates it was sheer pressure ... can't miss that far right like he did on some of his drives ... and the 2nd on 16 was horrible ... i don't know that he 'choked', but he sure as heck didn't step up ... 

Edited by tiderider
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tiderider said:

the avg score on sunday for the top ten leaders from saturday was probably in the n'hood of -2 ... he's the only one that didn't shoot under par in the final round ... the way he lost his swing on some holes/drives indicates it was sheer pressure ... can't miss that far right like he did on some of his drives ... and the 2nd on 16 was horrible ... 

His driving was off all day I totally agree but inspite of that he hung in and around the lead. If he blown up then I would completely agree with you but he came back in 35, that’s hardly the blow out that I would associate with choking.

• Like 3

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

16 hours ago, gvogel said:

It would have been much better to ask JT a couple questions about the round.  "Was there a turning point out there for you?"  "What does it mean to you to set a weekend record at the Players?"  "Can you take us through your drive snap hook on 18?"  "Or the drive snap hook on 16?"

Fixed that for ya. hysterical2.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

4 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

One of the worst aspects of this forum is how so many deem a player who was in contention and didn't shoot lights-out in the final round to have "choked". It is very distasteful and very wrong. Use that term on someone like Doug Ghim yesterday if you must, who clearly was not up to the task of being in one of the late groups yesterday, but not someone who battled all day. I simply don't understand the mindset that makes so many here claim that all the time.

the LEADER of the tournament had a 3 shot lead.....hit it into the woods and sand all day....shanked em off the hosel like a 20 hdcp player.... missed short putts.....the list goes on and on....he should have won but he succumbed to the pressure like 99% of people do....

sorry you dont like it but we all have our opinions and thats what makes for good discussions.....its not wrong, you just dont like it....and thats ok too. 

Edited by tsecor

14 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

One of the worst aspects of this forum is how so many deem a player who was in contention and didn't shoot lights-out in the final round to have "choked". It is very distasteful and very wrong. Use that term on someone like Doug Ghim yesterday if you must, who clearly was not up to the task of being in one of the late groups yesterday, but not someone who battled all day. I simply don't understand the mindset that makes so many here claim that all the time.

Totally agree, and i would actually go the other way and say how well i thought Westwood did, he clearly didn't have his best stuff but somehow got round even par for the day, the guy is 48 next month, probably doesn't practice as hard as the likes of JT and Bryson nowadays and basically took 2 of the best players in the world right to the wire in 2 weeks, actually beating Bryson this week

Thought he was great all week

Edited by Superbrit
  • Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

So Lee Westwood choked by shooting even par?  My god this place has turned into a complete s-h-i-t--hole 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Congrats to JT. 

No way that Brian Harmon is actually 5’7, right?

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Tour Ad Di 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 

Titleist U500 3iron

TaylorMade P7MC 4-Pw Nippon 120 

50° Titleist Vokey SM8

54° Titleist Vokey SM8

60° Titleist Vokey SM8

TaylorMade Spider SR

TP5x /Pro V1