7 wood vs. 3 hybrid

jmurdock81

Trying to replace my 210-220 club in my bag right now and thinking of going to a 7 wood from my 3 hybrid.  Anyone have experience with this or pick one over the other?  I could go with another 3 hybrid, but wondering if the 7 wood might be a better fit.  Thoughts?

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55°F , 60°M
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

I want to be able to play the 3 hybrid (21 degrees) but simply can't reliably hit is high enough any more.  I spent quite a bit of time working this off-season to improve my fairway wood game and have gone to the 7w @ 21 degrees.  I'm looking for the same carry distance you describe and can reliably hit the 7w to the same height as the rest of my approach clubs.  Just can't get there with 21 degree hybrid absent immaculate ballstriking...

New configuration, with which I'm quite happy, is 21 deg 7w at 41.5 inches (~215 carry) and 23 deg hybrid at 22 degrees and 39 inches (~200 carry).

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

In my experience, 7 wood is significantly easier to hit than a 3 hybrid.  Love having a 7 wood in my bag, as it is very versatile off the tee and the deck.  3 hybrid was hit and miss, and that included forgiving hybrids like Ping G400.  My 4 hybrid can do most anything that I would have wanted to do with a 3 hybrid, but with much more consistency.  YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Between your club mix and you swing, you need to find the distance crossover between fairways and hybrids. In my case, the 3H and 7W overlapped on pure yardage when hit off a tee.

As for usage, mine tended to be seasonal. From November through March, I carried (when I played) the 3H. It launched lower, and was influenced less by the wind. And, it could get me out of dormant rough OK.

From April through October, I carried the 7W. It launched higher, and blew the all out of thick summer rough quite well. Overall, 7W was easier to hit then the 3H.

I since sold off my old 3H and 4H and now have the 4H shown below.

Since you are a scratch golfer, consider what PGA Tour's Scott Stallings said this in a Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Thanks for the replies everyone.  

I played a 7 wood back when it wasn't cool because my dad had one. Man, that thing was great with a steel shaft. 

I've carried an ancient Nike CPR 21* hybrid for a decade now and really liked it, but I have the same issue as you. I remember how easy that 7 wood was to hit and I plan to go back to one. 

I keep going back and forth, but keep coming back to the 7 wood.  It's just easier.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

16 hours ago, jmurdock81 said:

If you are not going to contribute to the question, then don’t reply.  If there are threads like this once a week, then could you post the link??  My desired outcome is a club that fits into the 210-220 window, which both of these should do.  My swing is pretty decent considering I am at a +0.2.  I merely wanted to know of people’s opinion between the two if they have played them.  

lol okay - lets say google is broken and so is the search function on this website...

If ALL you need is a distance window of 210-220 then there is no difference - pick whichever you hit better.

I bet you need more than just distance, hence me saying it depends on what you want the club to do. So if you need a higher ball flight, go with a 7w. If you need a lower flight get a hybrid.

Or maybe you have some unique parts of your swing; also one of my questions. So some people dont like hybrids because they tend to hook, and/or some people want the larger size of the fairway or more forgiveness. More considerations there.

At the most basic level, a 3h and 7w will have flight and spin differences (lower and higher, respectively) so base your decision off of that to begin with.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Off A similiar handicap to yourself and thinking about this aswell Personally I prefer a 7 Wood but I am also debating a 19/20 degree Utility Iron I play in Ireland so play on alot of windy days aswell. 2 Irons just go to low for me off the fairway. Probably will buy the Utility Iron and see How that goes and if I feel I need the 7 Wood swap it out with the Iron on Calm days and leave the Iron for the windy, Links day.

• Like 1

I also play a 7w versus a 3 hybrid.  Unfortunately, at age 71 mine doesn't go 210, but I still like it. I've never been able to play hybrids. I still carry a four iron and the 7w fits nicely between it and my 5w.

All my buddies play hybrids. One guy carriers four hybrids, but they're not for everyone.

I think you're smart to play the 7w. They're not just for old guys like me anymore. It seems to work pretty well for Dustin Johnson. 

Went through the same dilemma. 

Ordered a 7 wood and will compare on course.

No choice during covid days and closed sims ( upon here in Canada)

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

I carry a 17* 5w and a 18* 3h. The distance for me is almost sport on at about 220, but am I looking to stick the landing, or do I want a runner? I might start carrying a 3i rather than the hybrid, though. I just got the 3i.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I just ordered my fist ever 7 wood. I bought it specifically to go for par 5s in 2. I play for fun, and like being aggressive when I have the opportunity. If I can pull off a great shot I feel more confident the extra height and spin will help hold a green. Just as importantly though, my hope is the 7 wood will limit the downside of leaving a 4 iron short or snap hooking a hybrid off the planet. Like I said, this will be my first 7 wood so it's all one big guess until I get it on the course. Fingers crossed...but we shall see.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

In my experience, 7 wood is significantly easier to hit than a 3 hybrid.  Love having a 7 wood in my bag, as it is very versatile off the tee and the deck.  3 hybrid was hit and miss, and that included forgiving hybrids like Ping G400.  My 4 hybrid can do most anything that I would have wanted to do with a 3 hybrid, but with much more consistency.  YMMV.

+1. 7 wood easier for me to hit consistently well, and it comes closer to the full distance on off-center hits. I can hit a 3 hybrid, but for whatever reason am not nearly as comfortable with it. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

3 hours ago, 1221 said:

Off A similiar handicap to yourself and thinking about this aswell Personally I prefer a 7 Wood but I am also debating a 19/20 degree Utility Iron I play in Ireland so play on alot of windy days aswell. 2 Irons just go to low for me off the fairway. Probably will buy the Utility Iron and see How that goes and if I feel I need the 7 Wood swap it out with the Iron on Calm days and leave the Iron for the windy, Links day.

Based in Ireland too and debating what club between 4 iron and 3 wood. What did you go for?

I would look through your last few rounds, and see when you pulled the 210-220 club. Was it off the tee or coming in to long par 4's/short par 5's? It may be better for off the tee to have a lower running shot from the hybrid, and the opposite for the 7 wood in to greens. 

Taylormade Sim 9* (Aldila Rogue 70x)

Taylormade Sim Ti 14* (Diamana 75 X)

PXG 0317X Gen2 19* (AD-95) 

Titleist 818 H1 22* (Evenflow Blue)

ZX7/Z Forged Mkii 5-PW (Accra 125x)

Taylormade MG4 (DG TI Spinner)

L.A.B B.2

Srixon Z-Star♦

24 minutes ago, CallawayOffCenter said:

I would look through your last few rounds, and see when you pulled the 210-220 club. Was it off the tee or coming in to long par 4's/short par 5's? It may be better for off the tee to have a lower running shot from the hybrid, and the opposite for the 7 wood in to greens. 

Most of the shots will be into par 5s or a long par 3. Will not be hitting off the tee with the exception of one hole depending on where the wind is. Most holes at my home course are going to be driver or 3 wood off the tee. Sounds like with distance being similar, the way to go for me is the 7 wood bc of launch, ease of use, and landing angle

I’m seeing numerous YouTube videos of the same concept, ditching the hybrid for a 7 wood in the 20 degree range. Focus seems to be on the Ping G425. 

Some years ago I had a set with 3,5,7 wood then 5 iron. Don’t remember it being a great or horrible set up. I wouldn’t try it now mostly since I will sometimes use the hybrid I place of a 4 iron as a recovery club to get back in the fairway or I’ll use a hybrid around the green on occasion. Just don’t sense a 7 wood can accomplish the same thing. Maybe I’m wrong, but still. 

• Like 1

The 210-220 spot is the toughest one for me.  Last year I did a TrackMan Showcase Showdown with two 3Hs (both 19*), a 3 Crossover (19*) and a 5W (18* @ 18.75*).

I found that I hit the fairway wood much better overall.  It also happens to be almost perfect for a par 5 I play every week where I have to carry about 210 over a large pond then land the ball on a green that has little depth so it needs to land softly.

With that said, I am tinkering more this year and may replace my 3W and 5W with a 4W @ 16.5 so I can put in a 19* utility iron that I had shafted with a 5 iron shaft.  Basically, I want something I can consistently hit from the tee with some roll out on narrow fairways and a club I can send high into greens.

Edited by NorthStar7
  • Like 1

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

If you decide to go the 7w route, don't underestimate the importance of how it looks at address...

Some higher lofted fairway woods and hybrids look like they have pitching wedge loft and it's pretty easy to let that get into your head which can lead to some pretty predictable compensations during set-up and swing.  Everybody has a different aesthetic they prefer but if you pull a 7w from OEM #1 off the rack and it looks weird, put it back and try another.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

6 hours ago, 1221 said:

seriously recommend trying the ZX utility from srixon if you are a solid ball striker.  Feel and workability is so much better than u500 IMO. Not the most forgiving utility, but I have it with the recoil shaft and it launches fairly high and is approachable for greens.  Really impressed with it and I ended up getting both a 3 & 4.  

• Like 1

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

8 hours ago, justcallmemoses said:

Based in Ireland too and debating what club between 4 iron and 3 wood. What did you go for?

Switching up my bag at the moment and in the same position as you Have a 2 Iron at the moment but just goes to low. For me I would prefer a 7 Wood over A 3 hybrid but that is just personal So it is really just between a driving iron at 19/20 or a 7 Wood at 21 both go similiar distance just the iron I can flight low 7 Wood cannot. I play a few compititons on links courses but my home course is a parkland so will probably buy the driving Iron and see how that works and probably add the 7 Wood soon enough and swap them out.