Describe your first set of clubs, year purchased and price you paid.

GoletaGolfer

2 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

1993 ish. Ping Zing knockoffs called Tour Model Z, probably made from recycled bicycle parts, $199 I think. I made so many trips to the golf shop’s used club bin, buying & trying other’s junk. Founders Club metalwoods, Cubic Balance grooveless driver, Tiger Shark Great White oversized putter. First real set of irons were Yonex Super ADX with carbon weave in the cavity, they looked really cool. First real driver wasn’t a driver at all (Callaway The Deuce 2W with steel shaft).

I had a Deuce... I LOVED THAT CLUB!

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

• 6 months later...

Wilson staff D, 3w, 5w and 2-9 irons with PW. Bought at Old Hickory Golf Club from Harold Eller, pro. Irons were $199 for set and woods were $149. I was sophomore in high school with money I’d made caddying. I used them to play high school and college golf. 
purchased in 1969 and had them until 1996. Laminated woods. Irons with red heel insert. I loved them!

Outside of my hand-me-down kids clubs (given to me by the golf course pro), a set of Karsten I clubs. ZZ lite shafts, Green dot.  

I lived in a small town and the next town over had a garage sale listed in the classifieds, with golf clubs. My mom said "you need some adult clubs if you are going to play" as I was 13.  We went over there, saw the clubs, and felt the price was reasonable at $75.  I knew Ping was a good club, and they were great for me.  I sold them in college as I wasn't playing, but I am sure they would be fine even today. 

I did have to replace the shafts as they were rusted out inside due to previously living about 100 meters from a salt-water estuary. I didn't realize that until a head flew off at the range one day, and then another.  

Ram complete set from kmart!  Paid about $120 for the irons and a dozen Top Flites.  The irons weren't too bad but the driver and 3 wood had shafts that were super soft.

I bought them the day after a nine hole work scramble.  I had never golfed before that but did manage to hit two pure shots in nine holes and I was hooked. 

There is nothing like the feeling of a purely struck iron, it must release feel good brain chemicals because it is addicting.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

I'd have to guess it was in the 50s when I told my folks I wanted to learn to play golf. One Saturday we went down to the local Montgomery Ward store (remember them?) and purchased a starter set of J.C. Higgins golf clubs. It had a 3W, 3-5-7-9 irons and a putter. Don't remember the amount, but I guess it was about $30. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bekgolf said:

Ram complete set from kmart!  Paid about $120 for the irons and a dozen Top Flites.  The irons weren't too bad but the driver and 3 wood had shafts that were super soft.

I bought them the day after a nine hole work scramble.  I had never golfed before that but did manage to hit two pure shots in nine holes and I was hooked. 

There is nothing like the feeling of a purely struck iron, it must release feel good brain chemicals because it is addicting.

K mart was a great store back in the 80s

Give or take 2008. I was 54 years old. My Banker called on a Monday and said we had a tee time this Friday.  I looked at my wife and we immediately drove from Sedona to Phoenix, 2 hour drive, to a Dicks Sporting Goods. Bought a box set of Slazenger.  D, 3W, 3i then every other iron through wedge sand,  putter and bag.  Bought some wiffle balls and golf shoes at the same time. I practiced in the garden of our bed and breakfast till Friday.  I broke the 3W and the face clean off the 3 iron after a few months.  They were replaced by a set of  Ping G10s.  18 months later I was a 2 handicap.

My first set of golf clubs I built myself. They were Golfsmith Tour Model IV irons, and I shafted them with TT Dynamic shafts in regular flex and GP Tour Wrap grips. I built them in the winter of 1990-91, and I'm still playing them today. I remember buying three or four clubs a month and assembling them , and by the time the 1991 season began I had a nice, shiny set of irons, 1-PW. All together they cost me somewhere around $160 for all the components. Since then I've lost the 1 and 2 irons, and I've gone to hybrids for my longer clubs, but those irons are still doing the job.

golfsmith-tour-model-iv-pw-sw_1_50197a20d130348187647b436ccf6cba.jpg

Edited by Robert L.
  • Like 3

On 3/26/2021 at 12:23 AM, GoletaGolfer said:

My first purchase of clubs was in 1980. I was 19 years old and a buddy sold me a set of Wilson Staff irons 3-9 and D,3,4 woods and a putter.

Bag and pull cart were included also.

Did not realize for years that Wilson blades were the worst beginner's clubs I could buy, and the regular shafted woods were way to whippy for a strong 19 year old.

PW and sand wedge probably would have come in handy! 🙂

Eighty bucks.

How do you and others remember this?  I have had so many sets of clubs in just the past year I don’t know what I started the year with let alone 20+ years ago.

• Like 2

Parents bought me a set of Cobra SSi 3-PW my junior year of high school. 2002-2003. 

I graduated to these from a set of Ping Zing 2 I borrowed from my uncle. 

Think they were $699 or $799.

About a year later I got a Cobra 380ss driver. Man I miss that thing...JK its in the garage. maybe i'll give it a whirl next round. 

CP

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

It was 1979 and I was “fitted” with a custom set of Gorman Golf Top Kicks at Gorman Golf in Southfield Michigan by Stan Sabot, the owner. The set was a Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 wood 3-PW and hand ground SW. 

Gorman Golf had an indoor hitting bay they used for fitting….Needless to say Stan was ahead of his time. 
Wish I had of kept the set. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

My very first set of irons were a used set of Primo III. They were a Ping knock-off iron. I was 14. They were given to me by my father. The woods were McGregor persimmon woods. Man those heads were so small.

My first set of self purchased clubs were Nicklaus VCG irons, summer of 2000. I also bought Jack Nicklaus signature wedges. Those were matched with Taylormade Firesole driver/3 wood/rescue woods. Then my putter was a Carbite Golf DD. I still have the Jack Nicklaus signature SW and LW, and the putter. You’d never believe the wedges and putter were 21 years old. I don’t use them anymore. The putter was in the bag till 2 years ago.

2005. My dad bought me a set of box set of ram clubs from k mart. Think the whole set was about $150 bucks brand new. 

I remember my 8 iron breaking off at the hosel on the range, the golf bag unraveling and I had to duct tape it back together. I didn’t know this set wouldn’t last long and my early club hoing began.

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

The year was 1975. First set was a Northwestern 7 piece set from K Mart. 39.99 price tag. Bought by myself from working in the bean fields of central Illinois. Dad bought me a 1 3 & 4 wood from a classmate of mine Golden Bears later that year. Added pieces like the 4 , 6, and 8 iron to fill gaps the next summer. I was 16 and playing a ton of tennis. As the years went buy golf became my favorite.

Edited by NoTalentLefty

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Freshman year of college.  Bought from a buddy. 
red vinyl Hogan bag.  2 pocket. 
Wilson custom starter set. D, 3w laminated maple. 
3,5,7,9 iron and a heel shafted blade putter.  $50, cash. 

I picked up a punch dot faced Northwestern SW at Kmart a few weeks later to complete the set. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

4 hours ago, Robert L. said:

My first set of golf clubs I built myself. They were Golfsmith Tour Model IV irons, and I shafted them with TT Dynamic shafts in regular flex and GP Tour Wrap grips. I built them in the winter of 1990-91, and I'm still playing them today. I remember buying three or four clubs a month and assembling them , and by the time the 1991 season began I had a nice, shiny set of irons, 1-PW. All together they cost me somewhere around $160 for all the components. Since then I've lost the 1 and 2 irons, and I've gone to hybrids for my longer clubs, but those irons are still doing the job.

golfsmith-tour-model-iv-pw-sw_1_50197a20d130348187647b436ccf6cba.jpg

After my starter set I did the same.  1~LW Tour Model II’s from Golfsmith.  Me and 2 of my buddies all put a set together. I did buy a brand new Ping Anser 3 putter.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Wilson Blue Ridge, 1973 from J.C Penney. Probably around $100 for the full set.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

My dad has a cracking first set story. In 1965, he was getting into golf as 17 year old joiner. He did a job on a doctor's house who he knew, doctor was ready for retirement and use to play golf. Found out my dad my starting and getting keen he just gave him everything he had as he said 'well I'm never going to use them'. 

So he got paid and got a top class set of Wilson x31 blades, ray cook putter, full set of woods (Macgregor I think), trolley and a blue Dunlop trolley bag....was still using them in the early 90s.....for free

Decided that I wanted to start learning to play golf at 61 in 2007 because I was about to get Social Security and thought maybe I could afford it then. Got a box set of Wilson Tour Rx from Sports Authority and have hooked since. $269 on sale. 

1975. Used set of MacGregor cf4000 black faced forged irons,3-pw,along with MacGregor Persimmon MT driver,3 & 5 wood. Bought in excellent shape from client that won a new set of clubs. Price $75.00. Just took up game. Bought over 50 sets of irons since(4 over last 12 months)and except for my current set of g410 with steelfiber95 the Macs are the only set I still have.

Edited by hardten
  • Like 1

My first set of clubs were new the summer of 1962. I was eight years old. They were a Jackie Pung signature set with a Driver, 3 wood, and 3, 5, 7, 9 irons and a putter. They were free! My dad bought them for me. When I was about 11-12, my dad gave me his full set of MacGregor MT Tourneys, 1, 2, 3, 4 woods and irons 2-PW, and he bought new. I was instructed to NOT tell my mother! LOL We had a locker at the golf course.

Edited by Rochester

Funny as hell this topic came up on here, I was just thinking about this last night.

My grandfather bought me a set of MacGregor ladies clubs, steel shafts.  Cut them down.  This had to be 1992 I was around 7 years old.  Played them until I was about 12.  

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5*

Stealth+ 3W

Stealth+ 5W

Honma TR20V 5-GW

Edel SMS 54/58

Custom Built Putter by Myself

Don't recall exactly but approximately 1991, I took up golf and bought a set of stock Ping woods and irons off the shelf at my LGS.  Used the irons for about eight months before switching to muscle back blades.  Some time later switched out Ping woods for Japanese made Kasco VS Tour D, 3 & 5 woods, which stayed in the bag till 2002/2003ish when MacGregor made a fully-custom set of 2i-LW butter knives, which I still have.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX