2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Describe your first set of clubs, year purchased and price you paid.

GoletaGolfer

I first started playing (aout 50 years ago) when I was a very small 10 year-old using cast away men's mismatched clubs.  I was given the remnants of a set of, I think, Patty Berg irons.  And the set was missing only a few clubs.  When I started high school (1971) I purchased a set of Gene Sarazen clubs; driver, 3-wood, 5, 7, 9, W (it might have been 4,6,8, W, I can't rember)and putter.  I used that set through school and played on the golf team.  I think during my Army stint I purchased a set of used Wilson Staff irons and picked a 3-wood (no sense owning an unhittable, for me, persimmon driver).  Used those clubs during undergrad, law school, and for awhile after.  I'm not sure how I spent on the Sarazen clubs but since it was coming from savings from odd jobs, I do remember it hurt!!

Started off with a borrowed set of Golden Ram Tour Blades and a 3 wood (my roommate's dad was a teaching pro, and they were his old irons).

Got used to the way those blades looked, even if they were hard as hell to hit, so when I went to the local golf shop to buy my own clubs, I ended up with a set of Titleist DCI '96 irons (the first year with U-grooves before they became the 962's).  Think I paid around $500 or $600 for them?

I asked the guy in the shop to set me up with every cavity-back iron with a steel shaft that he had, hit a few shots with each one, and they ended up in either the "yep" pile or the "nope" pile, based on how they felt.  Hit the irons in the "yep" pile again to see which ones I liked the best, and finally whittled it down to the DCI's and some Lynx Black Cat irons.  But because I started with the Golden Rams, I just couldn't get used to the look of the Black Cats, and I pulled the trigger on the DCI's.  Loved those irons, still have them in the garage.  Eventually added a callaway steelhead 3W and a putter and I was off to the races.

Started playing in the early 90s using borrowed Lynx Black Cat.

After about a year on borrowed clubs, someone gave me a new Cougar golf set, complete with bag, driver to putter. 

The first set I ever bought was the Cleveland VAS 792. Got it after Pavin won the US Open, too long ago to recall how much I paid. …then quit the game at the turn of the century since I quit my job that gave me golf club playing rights/privileges. It’s an expensive game without the playing privileges. Lol!

Started  to play the game again in 2010 and got the Adams Idea Tech V3 hybrids and forged irons. Still use them up to now. I do recall I paid close to $900 for the hybrids and irons.

After playing about 30 years I still score in the 90s, from 120s when I started. Another 20 years more probably before I break par. Lol!

I LOVE THIS GAME!

Driver: Paradym

Fairway:  Paradym X / Beres S-05

Hybrids: Honma Beres U06 19 degrees / U05 22 degrees

Irons: Epic Forged Star 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway JAWS MD5 46 / 60

Putter: 2021 Phantom X 5.5

Nice topic!  I started playing in grad school with a set of Tommy Armour 845 knock offs.  Once I got the bug for new sticks, I was SHOCKED at the price of a set of irons. Id go to the shop almost every day to drool over Ping i3s or Callaway X12s, but I was a broke college student that couldn’t afford a $800 set of irons!  One day, however, I noticed a shiny new set of Mizuno True blades on the close out rack for $299 - they even came with your choice of matching wedge (gap, sand, or lob). I was absolutely smitten!  Dropped cash on the table almost immediately, skipped my afternoon classes and went straight to the course. 

Lord, were those clubs hard to hit!!!!

9DACE363-AD2A-4C5B-AD5C-AD8BFA01CEF4.jpeg.254daa2dbadb547e5521155dc857fdde.jpeg

Edited by BCULAW

My first few sets were hand me downs from my dad. I think it went something like '69 Bullet Back  and X31 woods in HS mid 70's. I really didn't play golf seriously, and I don't think they helped my enjoyment of the game much. Those early morning stingers to the hands weren't fun. He wanted them back after a bit, and now that he's passed, I have them again.

I think my next set were some either Hogan or MacGregor, I know I had some Hogan woods and a Mac driver for a while in HS as well.

So long ago, I can't remember.

I think the first clubs I bought myself were Lynx Black Cats, early 90's 

Edited by RainShadow

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

My first set were Spalding irons and my parents got them for me at Canadian Tire Store. I was 10, it was 1976. I have no idea about the price, they were a BD gift.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 3.39.50 PM.png

Edited by kwcsports

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 5:50 AM, Snaphooker12 said:

When I was a freshman in high school 1985 I joined the golf team. I had played a bit of golf but had only used chi chi Rodriguez junior clubs. My friends father  had a golf club shop at his house where he built clubs and took in trades. For $50 I bought a set of Royal golf clubs. It was the first time I ever had hit a 4,6,8,PW in my life. They came with a big heavy leather bag. I bought them with my own money. When I was in the Marines my parents bought me a set of Titleist DTR’s that I played for a long time. My uncle worked at the Acushunet company so we could get those at cost.

Ha Titleist DTRs... my uncle played those for the longest time, probably only switched 5-10 years ago. Play with him every time I'm in Denver - wish I'd have given them a whack now as I'm sure I'll never see them again. Stood for Distance Thru Research. Not much changes huh, at least in the marketing ballgame.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

My first set if irons I bought were a set of Ben Hogan Radial irons.  These were purchased at a local golf store in the summer of 1986 and were used.  I don't remember much about the specs but I assume they were Apex 3 shafts.  I also bought a set of Hogan Laminated woods (1,3 and 5) but from a different store. The first new set I purchased after graduating from college in 1989 was a set of MacGregor Muirfield 20th blades, 1, 3-PW, S300 shafts.  I still have the set today, 1 iron in my office staff bag and irons at by brother's place.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Wilson Jr set in the early 90s I think 2W, 5I, 9I, putter.  Added a driver, 5W, blade 3 iron, SW.  Irons changed to knockoff Tommy Armours (and played Top Flite X Outs) lol.  They were gifts, we couldn't afford much, and I loved playing the game with them.  First set I bought, getting back into golf out of college, was Hogan Apex Edge Pros with Apex 4s, mint from ebay - still sweet as anything and still have them around. 

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

• 2 weeks later...

First set I had as an adolescent boy in 1960's were hand-me-down Kroydon woods and blade irons from 1950's.   Then Dad's hand-me down Dunlop Dow Finsterwald blade irons.  Once more, hand-me-down 1970's Spalding Elite MV-2's muscleback irons that I played from 1970's into the 80's. Loved those musclebacks!  First new clubs I bought in college were 1970's Wilson Johnny Miller laminated woods from Austad's mail order catalogue.  When metal woods came along, I bought from local club maker "Thunderbolt" small headed driver and woods, because who would ever buy those newfangled big oversize woods?!  Original Big Bertha woods changed the game but were out of my price range, I just dreamed of those and 1990s Tommy Armour Silver Scott 845 irons the better players around me were sporting.  At long last in 1990's I bought King Cobra knock-off woods and perimeter weighted irons from local club maker and sported those until 2000's when a buddy insurance agent gave me set of Ping ISI irons that had been underwater in hurricane flood.  Owner had replaced them with insurance settlement and I gained the ISI set.  I added used Ping G5 woods.  Local club fitter said those green Aldila NV-65 shafts in the Ping woods fit my swing speed so well that I should just look around and online for woods/irons with that shaft and buy them. He was right!  I loved those ISI's, 1/2 inch long, with graphite shafts.  Wish I had not sold them, but used the money to buy used Ping G-30 driver and G-30 irons from used club sale rack at Edwin Watts. 

I've enjoyed the journey from early blades to musclebacks to cavity back irons and from laminated wood woods with face inserts screwed into the head (oh, the joy of "hitting it on the screws!") to oversize game improvement woods.   The sweetspot on those blade and muscleback irons was the size of a dime and mishits sent shockwaves up your arms.  But the joy of hitting it flush and sweet was delightful!  Now in my late 60's, I appreciate the forgiveness of cavity back Ping G-30's and spring-face Ping 30 driver, woods, hybrids.  

In and out my bag have been assorted wedges and putters mostly bought at yard sales, rummage sale, or Play It Again Same used sporting goods stores.  One nostalgic club, a 1960s Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge pitching wedge with reminder grip that I wish I had never sold or passed along.  I have yet to replace the feel and confidence I had with a that well used, well-loved, rusty old club!  

• Like 1

My first set was a full set of Pro Select woods/irons back in 2002.  I think they were made and/or imported by some local Canadian company.  I played them for about 2 years before buying a set of MX-23s along with Hogan CFT hybrids and a Callaway C4 driver.  

Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
LAB Golf Mezz-1

First full set: Dad’s 845 cavity 

first serious set: titleist DCI

first set bought: mizuno mix-25, rifle 5.5 paid $250 as a demo set

all downhill from there

Even I laugh about this one. 1982, didn't have much money back then, so the choices were Slim and none for new clubs, and Slim had just left town. No ebay, used clubs were not readily available then either. I digress, but the only new set of irons in my price range was a set of Sounder irons. I believe Gary Player was their pitch man, but I doubt he ever played these irons. Well, needless to say they were far from great, but they were new. I actually still have the PW just for the memories, but like most here I have moved on w/ multiple iron changes. Now that I have been a certified club ho for years, and am able to purchase pretty much want I want/need, I have an obsession w/clubs, both new and used. Probably because my inability to obtain clubs I wanted years ago. Just making up for lost time like most here.

My first set was from Walmart.  John Daly branded, with his lion logo on the bag.  Driver, 3 wood, a couple of hybrids, and 5-PW with putter.  I replaced the putter first and everything else in the set was quickly replaced one at a time.  Not sure what happened to those clubs; dumpster is a real possibility.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

First set was a kids' store brands set from Austad's, driver 5i, 7i, 9i. I had a Taylormade Tour Cleek II that slotted in nicely (that was actually my first club), and then somewhere along the line I picked up a random 3 iron and eventually a Zevo wedge. 

First real set was Ping i3 o-size with Ping Cushin shafts, I'm guessing 2000 on those, I loved them and they were a perfect iron to get more serious. Still not thrilled someone stole them at ORD several years later along with the Tour Cleek mentioned above and an OG Callaway S2H2 3w. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

First set of clubs was a combination gift between my parents and both sets of grandparents, a full set of Wilson HT1000 clubs, driver, 3w, 5w, 3-PW and putter, I think when I was in 6th or 7th grade. I was so excited, back in the 90s oversized metal woods were becoming the norm and I no longer had to have mix and match hand me down persimmons and blades from my dad.

First clubs I bought were in March 96, original Titleist DCI 3-PW and Big Bertha War Bird 11* Driver used from a family friend for $250. Those made me feel legit, ha. Great clubs that lasted me 11 more years and now reside in my dad's bag.

John Daly "wild thing" iron set 4-PW, brand new from a local sports shop, would have been the late 90's, i kept them for years in my garage, cleared it out last year and found them again, god awful fugly, i dont know why you would make golf clubs that bad, dont know what i was thinking

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

On 3/26/2021 at 4:58 PM, lvgolfer962 said:

I ended up with a set of king cobra oversize with steel shafts(1,3,5 wood and 3-pw and a staff bag). I was so disappointed because I had never heard of them and thought they were a cheaper brand.  

Sounds a bit like my story, these were my first irons I bought second hand in 2001:974073783_CLUBS-1995KingCobra.jpg.03cfc6637ba0d5eba1d2c3518f8fd5e1.jpg

Here they are with the rest:

20211213_215630.jpg.c9b86d327995c3d41c569a9b4e1a1d67.jpg

I never had heard of Cobra either but later learned they are a great brand. 

I actually got 2 sets somehow, due to some miscommunication:

2051766585_zGOLF-Clubs1.jpg.a318ff7747aff564fa010efad3ccfb60.jpg

+1 length Titleist 755cb. Too difficult to play for me in the beginning, and probably still would be now, so sold them 😥  Set came with these:

1812099512_Clubs-Driver3w3h_cr.jpg.ac2c7ca5760ad154db8fa537394647b1.jpg

I still have the 3h, great club. Can't  remember what wedges I had with them. I still have the driver head but shaft broke. Who knows, may one day get it reshafted. 

I mainly played with the Cobras as they were easier to hit. Slippery grips though and as I did not use a glove till my second year playing, a few times I had the club flying 😅   I live in the tropics so it gets humid and sweaty here. 

• Like 1

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

Around 1974, 7 piece Northwestern purchased at Canadian Tire, can't imagine they would have been $100

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

1960?. PGA The Custom forged blades. Aluminum shaft 1 3/4" under std length. I still have them. 

PGA Customclub.JPG

• Like 2

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

fall 1970 - had been caddying/playing a few shots with my dad & his cronies  for almost 2 years (every sunday) when we were at sugarcreek golf course(ohio) and they had 15 or so sets of used clubs - bout time for you to have your own set - whatcha like?  only took a second - the pga ryder cup II's with of course the funky aluminum shafts - 3-pw blades plus laminated 1,3,4,5 w for $105 and how i loved them - mothers to hit but enough practice an i was ok with em , high school consolidated and dropped golf but i was already hooked - played thru college and after graduating and before taking the pharmacy boards bought me my 1st set of new clubs - nevada bobs catalog - wanted the wilson x31s but were out of stock - salesman said he would swing me the deal of a lifetime - golden ram tour grinds, yea the clubs the pros play, for the same $295 the x31s listed for - they were just as hard to hit as the pga's - when the 1st forged cavity backs came out - so 1983 i think i had the newest latest and greatest and have been playing forged cavity backs of one manuf or another ever since - thanks ben hogan co for the origional edge 3-e $450

1983. Wilson Staff Blade FG17s and Staff Woods (laminated maple). Purchased from a friend for $100? Went to Nevada Bobs and got myself an Anser 2. This set up got me through college. 

Sold everything but the putter to another newbie in ‘91 for $50

Just recreated the whole set up via the bay for about $75 and played last weekend. Smile still isn’t gone from my face! 

*** Bulls Eye pictured cuz the grip on the Ping was unusable. Also just picked up a pencil bag. Didn’t have stand bags in the early 80s!

BFC2C13A-A56A-43C7-A070-C347079D442B.jpeg

Edited by SteelieD
Typo
  • Like 1

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

1968-Northwestern Herman Keiser set.  Laminated driver and 3 wood.  Half set of irons, forged blades, 3-5-7-9-PW and a steel Cash-In style putter.  Purchased at a local sporting goods store called Gateway Sporting Goods in Kansas City, MO.  $70.00 for the set plus another $15 for a bag.  I got these for me 16th birthday.

Edited by skraly

My dad bought me a complete set of Dunlop clubs in 1988 when I graduated from high school.   It 3-PW, 5W, 3W, and driver.  They were cavity back clubs and metal woods.  I also had an anser style putter.  I have no idea what they cost, but they seemed like a huge improvement over the previous clubs I used which were my dad's mid 1970's set of Northwestern blade irons and some plastic laminated woods.  I played the Dunlop clubs thru college and for about five years after I got my first job.  I replaced woods with some knock off Taylormade woods which were the copper color.  Eventfully I replaced everything with a set of Cobra Gravity back irons and Callaway Big Bertha woods.

I sold the Dunlop irons to a friend's dad who was just getting into golf.  He played those clubs for another five years.  They were a great set of clubs and helped get two people hooked on golf!  Exactly what a starter set of clubs is intended to do.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

First set I bought myself was a 14 club package from the local PIAS Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear or something.  Graphite shafts throughout (eventually snapped the driver in my back swing and was accused of wrapping it around a tree...).  They were maybe $299 cdn around '01/02.

First "real" set of irons I had were built by a friend and were some TA Evo 45 knock offs.  Played them for a few years until I had a set of Wishon 550C/M's made up.

First OEM set was some Titleist 695 CB's a couple of years after they came out. 

• Like 1

A Revolving Door