Senior golfers, I'm looking for a forgiving and and easy to launch hybrid and fairway woods.

jjfcpa

Thanks for the reply and I've actually tried the Ping fairways a couple years ago and those bafflers did not do it for me.  I understand the logic behind them, but they had the opposite affect for me.  I'm currently bagging the Mavrik fairways and they just don't seem to work for me.  Oddly, I play the Epic Max driver and love it.  

24 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

Thanks for the reply and I've actually tried the Ping fairways a couple years ago and those bafflers did not do it for me.  I understand the logic behind them, but they had the opposite affect for me.  I'm currently bagging the Mavrik fairways and they just don't seem to work for me.  Oddly, I play the Epic Max driver and love it.  

If by bafflers you mean the turbulators then you’ll be pleased to know Ping removed them from the G425 fairways and hybrids. Still there on the drivers though. 

I'd suggest the Sub70 hybrids  I've got 3 in the bag and they are very easy to hit.  Price is great and they have lots of shaft choices.  Just give them a call and discuss your needs.   forgot to include that I'm a senior golfer also.  

Edited by larryd3

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

I'm a believer in the rails found on the Cobra fairways and hybrids. I have F9 3W and 3H, RadSpeed 7W. All of them (yes, even the 3W, set at 15.5) are great off the deck. I didn't hit previous Ping or Mizuno hybrids as well but ymmv.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

By far the easiest launching fairway woods and hybrids are the older model Ping K15s.  The woods are SFT and the hybrids are fugly.  But they work extremely well.  I've played the driver, since 2010 when they first came out, until recently before I went Ping Max or PXG.  I also played the 16* 3 wood until recently but I get more distance from my TE 16.5* 4 wood.  I also currently play combinations of Ping K15 5 wood, 7 wood, 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 5 hybrid and 6 hybrid.  They are by far the easiest woods and hybrids I've ever hit.  It took me awhile to figure out gaps with my irons as they are all old lofts.  The 6 hybrid is the same loft as my Mizuno JPX800 Pro 7 iron.  Sometimes the 8 iron is the longest iron in my bag.

FWIW - I'm 66 years old and a 9 handicap from the regular mens tees.  No reason to make the game harder then it needs to be. Shot 36 for 9 holes just yesterday the first time I played 9 holes at my new club using all those hybrids.

• Like 3

I think it's all about finding the right shaft.  Playing TS2 fairways and hybrids now after upgrading from 917F2 fairways and 818H1 hybrids.  I upgraded the heads, but kept the Tensei shafts.

I'm a senior, 69, 10 hcap from men's regular tees.  I like the Titleist heads, but it's the Tensei shafts that make them work for me.  My advice is focus on finding the shaft that works for your swing rather than some head suggested by someone who doesn't know anything about your swing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nostatic said:

I'm a believer in the rails found on the Cobra fairways and hybrids. I have F9 3W and 3H, RadSpeed 7W. All of them (yes, even the 3W, set at 15.5) are great off the deck. I didn't hit previous Ping or Mizuno hybrids as well but ymmv.

I can’t agree more than this. Cobra fairway and hybrids are so user friendly nothing compares. You can’t hit them fat. I’ve described these in the past with  “It’s like going bowling and they have the kid-bumpers up.. super duper easy”

Edited by pmang

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60 S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Callaway Jaws Raw 54* & 58*
Odyssey 5K #7 34”

Thanks for the replies fellow senior golfers.  

I always custom order my fairway woods and hybrids based on shaft length and grips.  Older clubs are usually ruled out because by the time I get them customized to my specs I might as well order new.

Some of the ones that I've been considering are the Ping's... don't really want to order them if I have to wait 6 weeks to get them.  

I'm going to visit our local GG and see if they have them in stock with a senior shaft.  I agree that shafts are extremely important and I've always tried to stay with UST Recoils because they just work for me.  Doesn't look like they are available in the Pings.  Disappointed.

I've tried their Alta stock shafts and didn't really care for them.

i agree with Ping being easy to elevate off the deck which is what I struggled with. I think also having a lighter shaft is key as a lot of fairway woods at 43 with 70g shafts seems a little heavy. If you play them shorter at 42 or 42.5 that also makes a huge difference as the stock shafts are often just too long. Don't be afraid to cut them down. Control and confidence is more important than length in fairways. The lie angles also make a huge difference. taylormade fairways are too upright, ping is nice a flat with the flat sole of g410 and 425. best fairways I have ever hit even if not the longest. If you hit down on fairways then the rounder sole ones will work but for me I sweep and the flatter sole pings are best. 

11 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

Thanks for the replies fellow senior golfers.  

I always custom order my fairway woods and hybrids based on shaft length and grips.  Older clubs are usually ruled out because by the time I get them customized to my specs I might as well order new.

Some of the ones that I've been considering are the Ping's... don't really want to order them if I have to wait 6 weeks to get them.  

I'm going to visit our local GG and see if they have them in stock with a senior shaft.  I agree that shafts are extremely important and I've always tried to stay with UST Recoils because they just work for me.  Doesn't look like they are available in the Pings.  Disappointed.

I've tried their Alta stock shafts and didn't really care for them.

I had the same experience with Callaway fwys, they don’t work for me.  Unfortunately anything you order from any OEM is going to take at least 4 weeks.  Ping is 5-6 weeks.  I’m not a Ping fan, but I now have the g425 fwys and hybrids because they launch high and far.  I wish I custom ordered as the stock CB shafts screw up the swing weight making them too light.  I use aftermarket heavier weights AND lead tape.  They’re worth the wait with a custom order shaft.  For stock offerings you can grab off the rack I think the Taylormade offerings are your best bet. 

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

I've had a fair amount of success with the Callaway Epic Flash 5W due to the adjustable hosel, being able to increase the loft. The 3W I couldn't hit worth a darn even with the loft turned up the full 2°. Then I traded it in for the Callaway Mavrik Max 3W. I kill that thing! It's easy to launch, great mid-high, boring ball flight and if you monitor Callaway Pre-owned you can get a great deal on one in excellent condition.

FYI, I'm a senior, too - 73 yo.

Many people struggle with the top end of their bag and are looking for forgiving and easy to launch clubs.

Ironically, fairway woods and hybrids are deigned to be easier to launch than corresponding long irons, but because of their shaft length and lack of loft are sometimes hard to control.

What specifically is your issue?

Are you having trouble getting the ball in the air?

Are you having trajectory issues, fighting a hook or a slice?  

Are you topping the ball? Just getting worm burners?  Fatting it?  

Is it just off the fairway or do you have similar issues off a tee with these clubs?

Do you have similar issues with long irons?  

Is it being caused by a lack of swing speed?   Perhaps some other component of your stance, swing or club delivery to the ball.

Many modern fairway woods and hybrids are being designed to produce low piercing trajectories with low spin to maximize distance and rollout when hit from a tee.  Utility or driving irons even more so.   

Thankfully, manufacturers have been making multiple versions of these clubs with the most forgiving models being larger in size with shallower faces and more distance from front to back to aid in achieving easier launch.  Some are also designed to counteract the most common trajectory issue for amateurs which is a slice.

I also have struggled to find fairway woods and hybrids that will launch easily, especially from the fairway, and provide me a playable trajectory.  

But the cause of my problem is not related to low swing speed.  I have found that many of the more forgiving models of hybrids and fairway woods have shafts that are too light for me and with high torque shafts to help with launch and counteract a slice.  I fight a hook so those kinds of shaft just make it worse.  

My swing and club delivery tends to be steep and in to out.  I tend to deloft all of my clubs at impact.   My ball flight is fairly low and I make large divots.   All of which contribute to really compressing the ball with an iron, but leading to difficulty with fairway woods and hybrids.

I want a club that despite my swing and club delivery I can still hit off the fairway or tee and it will produce high launch, neutral trajectory, good peak height, lots of carry distance and enough spin with a steep enough descent angle so that I can hit and hold a green on a long par 3 or reach a green on my second shot for long par 4s or short par 5s.

I have been fit multiple times which has helped, but I have still been searching. 

What I’ve found that is working for me to increase launch angle, peak height and carry distance is that more loft & more spin often is the best medicine.

My search has resulted in some recent changes in the past year that are working better than anything I’ve had before.

I currently have a Tour Edge XCG7 28 degree 6 hybrid, a Tour Edge C721 25 degree 5 hybrid, a Tour Edge XCG7 21 degree 7 wood and a Taylormade Sim Ti 19 degree 5 wood in the bag.  

Don’t be afraid to try something older.  The XCG7 clubs and the SIM were all bought as new old stock at discount prices.

If you are buying new and custom ordering then you are paying top dollar and ought to be getting fit as well.  Many fitters won’t charge for a fitting if you buy from them.

Best wishes to you in your search.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

Currently, I'm playing a Mavrik Max 3h and 4h and I do pretty good with them.  I do better with the 4h probably because of the loft.  Sometimes, I can really make great contact with the 3h, but more often than not, it's just not solid.  I've resorted to using a 5i in many cases where I probably should be using a 4h.  My iron play has improved to the point where I'm using the hybrids much less than I used to.  

The woods are a completely different situation.  I tried using a 3w for years and finally pulled it from the bag last year.  Just didn't have the swing speed for it.  I determined that I could hit my 3h as far as my 3w when struck well.  

I currently am carrying a 5w (Mavrik) and when I strike it well, it's got pretty good launch and distance, but I struggle hitting it well.  

Thus, I'd like to find some easier to launch hybrids and woods.  

I am using an Epic Max driver with 10.5 loft and senior shaft.  I've really started hitting it really well after a break-in period.  I seldom  mishit it and distance is right where I'd like it to be.  Because my driver distance has improved quite a bit, I don't find that I need the hybrids and woods as much as I used to.  Primarily long par 4's and par 5 holes.  

I think Ping would be a good option, but the shaft choices bother me.  What's the thought on using a regular shaft instead of their soft regular (senior)?  I would have to say my swing speed is probably above average for someone my age.  I don't really know what my swing speed is though.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:41 PM, WilCox said:

I think it's all about finding the right shaft.  Playing TS2 fairways and hybrids now after upgrading from 917F2 fairways and 818H1 hybrids.  I upgraded the heads, but kept the Tensei shafts.

I'm a senior, 69, 10 hcap from men's regular tees.  I like the Titleist heads, but it's the Tensei shafts that make them work for me.  My advice is focus on finding the shaft that works for your swing rather than some head suggested by someone who doesn't know anything about your swing.

I have to say I agree with WilCox here, it's all about finding the right shaft that works with your swing (now).

While the OP's initial post was kinda vague, wanting "easy launching and forgiving fairway and hybrid" - being as the current tech on most of the major manufacturer's offerings is really similar, it seems to me that it's less about what brand/model and more about being fitted with the right shaft based on your average swing.

Which then brings me back to the OP's follow-up, and them professing they use "UST Recoils because they just work for me" ... and wondering if that decision was based on their best shots on the best of swings, or if it was based on their average swings? ... because if it was based on their average swing it seems that they shouldn't need a change.
Unless their current selection is really, really outdated.

Just curious. 🤔

I am going into my 11th season of 4W + 7W. Several studies show that the average golfer hits the 4W more reliably - and sometimes just as far - as a 3W. The shorter shaft helps control and the extra loft helps launch. Initially went with 7W as better distance gap than 5W. Then, I found the 7W was quite a versatile club. Holds greens fairly well, comes out of rough with gusto, useful on longish par 3 holes.

As an individual, you have to find out if higher-lofted fairways or hybrids work best for you. With me, either will work as long as I swing smoothly.

As COVID recedes, more manufacturing is going on in golfdom.  This means used clubs not as scarce as this time last year. See if you can find any Callaway XR Steelhead or Big Bertha V Series fairways. These both have rounded soles and lighter shaft options.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

XXIO for sure

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

I play Ping G400, 5, 7 and 9 woods and carry them 180, 170 and 160.  I do not carry a 4 or 5 iron as a result.  I get great ball height from the 7 and 9 and they stop nicely on the greens.  Much easier for me to hit fairway woods than irons, in fact I carry an additional 4 higher lofted fairway woods as well.

Edited by John76

On 5/27/2021 at 1:27 PM, jjfcpa said:

Are you playing the std Mavrik or the Max version?

I've recently added a Mavrik Max 5w and 9w to the bag, and the 9w especially has been awesome.  I'm a very average swing speed player, and tended to suffer a bit of a fade.  I specifically chose the stiffer of the two standard women's shafts (Helium 5) because I wanted the 1" shorter length, and the ability to increase the weight in the heal to bring swing speed back up to "normal."

The 9w plays anywhere from 160-180yds, depending on if I harness my inner Inbee Park, or put a bit more zip on it.  It is the straightest club in my bag.

Edited by subrew

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter