Golf Channel programming (**MERGED**)

shoot4par

I applaud golf channel for attempting to include more amateur and college golf programming on their network (thought this should've happened 5 years ago), the network programming still feels stale.  You can listen to morning drive for 2-3 hours or maybe pick up an interesting nugget from Hall or Como but for those that don't find that entertaining what would you want to see? 

Edited by 1t2golf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

A show or segment dedicated to golf equipment with trackman, flightscope, or whatever launch monitor with all the numbers.  Benefits the major OEMs by giving they way more exposure as well as boosting ratings for GC.  Don't know if it's feasible for them, but it sure would make things a lot more lively and interesting. 

Unfortunately, the eyeballs of most viewers will roll back into their heads within minutes and they'll be snoring on the sofa as the remote drops to the floor.

The formula for commercial success and ratings in sports programming targeting males is directly proportional to the SW/S ratio -- Shapely Women per Segment.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

16 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Unfortunately, the eyeballs of most viewers will roll back into their heads within minutes and they'll be snoring on the sofa as the remote drops to the floor.

The formula for commercial success and ratings in sports programming targeting males is directly proportional to the SW/S ratio -- Shapely Women per Segment.

I guess the show would only appeal to Wxer's or nerds.  Anna Whitely, Cara Banks, Amanda Balionis, hell even Paige Mackenzie and company would be a lot more appealing to most of the male golfer population I suppose. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

17 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I dunno... Do the OEMs really want a show that proves that this year's clubs are the same as last year's? Do the OEMs really want a show that proves that Kirkland wedges spin like Vokey or that Kirkland balls spin more than ProV1s? Do the OEMs really want a show that shows that on a launch monitor, all the new 2021 drivers hit the ball the exact same distance?

Seems like they wouldn't be in favor of a "The Emporer's New Clothes" segment, and might stop advertising on a network that exposes all of their marketing lies 😉

Good point.  We believe in the marketing lies and STILL buy golf equipment every year.  Why wouldn't the golf normies? 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Good point.  We believe in the marketing lies and STILL buy golf equipment every year.  Why wouldn't the golf normies? 

It's kinda true. The show would probably highlight a lack of innovation in equipment but you could highlight things like direct force or garage brands like xenon, Tyson lamb, etc. Talk about and test the obscure fringe stuff. I'd find the apples to apples launch monitor thing somewhat enjoyable but you best have a gorgeous co-host for ratings. I don't tune in that often but the programming can be a little rough when you can't watch live golf. 

Edited by shoot4par

[I reread what I had quoted and realized I mis-read, but I wanted to keep my reply.]

Wasn't that what Michael Breed was doing?  Now he is sponsored by Titleist/FJ and golf pride so you only got that slant when it came to equipment but I think you are going to have some real trouble finding someone capable (basically a pga professional) that is not sponsored by an equipment OEM.  If you do find someone who isn't then GC would have to put up a fair amount of money to offset the fact that the person is not sponsored and is leaving some cash on the table due to that.

I think a show with individual everyday golfer swing breakdowns would be well-received if you presented it in manner that could be used by a multitude of people.  Something along the lines of, "Coming up after the break we are going to break down Jim's swing who has been fighting coming over the top.  Stay tuned and we'll show you some drills to help get you into the right slot to fend of weak slices."

10 hours ago, shoot4par said:

... you could highlight things like direct force or garage brands like xenon, Tyson lamb, etc. Talk about and test the obscure fringe stuff. 

I like that idea.  There is some really good stuff being put out by small brands and boutique type places.  Lots of accessory companies out there now.

Seamus, North Coast, Bluegrass Fairway, Coobs Golf, etc.

Would love more behind the scenes stuff that you see from social media. For example, the Taylormade youtube stuff is great. Foreplay golf guys behind the scenes with the pga guys is great. TXG is great. Basically, YouTube golf media much better than anything on TV minus the tournaments. 

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Agree on more amateur golf footage.  Enjoy it every time.  The D1 mens championship was incredible.  Heck, I'd watch the NAIA tourney!

Regarding equipment comparisons, setup Iron Byron and start indexing clubs and balls through with trackman data.  Keep it moving with data comparisons and brief commentary.  Everyone's fair game.  Yes, that includes you Titleist and Callaway (balls): no more talk, just raw data.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I’d love to see replays or highlights of prior years tournaments on the Tuesday and/or Wednesday. Like this week we could see the 1996 Tom Watson highlights or one of the Tiger wins, any notable or exciting event from prior years. They used to do this often and occasionally still randomly toss one in as a “Golf’s Greatest Rounds”. I’d love it if this was a regular piece of programming every week. 

• Thanks 1

I think it would be cool to see a segment that goes more in depth on a tour player's training regiment. See what their actual day to day is like on non-tournament days. How much time they spend on each aspect of the game, and how that might change throughout the season/off season. Fitness included.

It's fun to see their tips and such while playing a practice round or hitting some balls on the range -- but I would love to see what it's like when they are really working on something. I think we can all relate to the struggle when something is off about your game and you're trying to fix/improve it. Or conversely how they stay in the zone when they are playing well.

Edited by Blaiser

3 hours ago, Bob Cat said:

Agree on more amateur golf footage.  Enjoy it every time.  The D1 mens championship was incredible.  Heck, I'd watch the NAIA tourney!

Not a huge fan of the men or women's NCAA stuff.  I guess there's no way around it at the highest college level, but it seems like the coaches are a lot more involved than they should be.  Towards the end of match play events, when there are only a couple of matches left on the course, there appear to be two or three coaches on every hole giving advice, pushing the push carts, holding sun umbrellas over the players, holding the flag stick, raking the bunkers, etc. Counting the two competitors and their posses, there may be over 7-8 people on the green when there should basically just be two.  The involvement/intervention of the coaching entourages is a major distraction for me and IMO takes away from the competition.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jdl said:

Yes! 

BRING BACK BIG BREAK!

To me it was my single favorite show on golf channel.

I think doing one now would be really cool. Golf is in such a cool place and there are so many opportunities for interesting groups. You could do one with college grads who didn't get status I mean you could even do a youtuber/ golf influencer version where they compete for a few PGA or LPGA starts. 

It was really fun to watch people from all walks of life compete on an equal playing field. Especially loved when they had people who this was their "last shot" at playing pro before needing to settle down for their families sake.

Really good show with a lot of people to root for. 

• Like 2

I have no use for basically any studio shows.  I want to watch golfers play golf!  LPGA, Korn Ferry, Amateurs, College...all of it.  European, Asian, any of it!  Just show golfers golfing. 

Speaking of shapely women - with all the you tubers and IG people...seems like an obvious show would be to have a group of popular youtubers/IGers (men and women) play the tour course for the week and film it.  They could talk about the course and it would show what amateurs shoot on a course in tour conditions.  They could do the Korn Ferry/LPGA courses too.  Seems like this could be paid for by endorsements too.  And there is no way the youtubers/IG people wouldn't be more than happy to be on camera.

I also would definitely watch reruns of old final rounds from the tournament that are exciting/interesting.

Golfers using old technology is always fun.  I feel like I've seen it before - golfers using hickory clubs and whatnot - but seriously show it all the time!  Especially at courses where we have history/video of Nicklaus/Watson using persimmons.  I know these guys don't want to mess up their swings (and I don't want them to either) but it feels like there has to be a way to show this every week especially on well-known holes.  

• Like 2

1. Find Peter Kessler 2.0 and give him a show.

2. Fewer European Tour events where the average temperature is in the high 40s.  The British Open in July is a novelty until you realize that all of northern Europe can be quite chilly during the late Spring and early Summer.   

3. More events that team up Terry Gannon and Nick Faldo.  For whatever reason, the chemistry between the two is very good.  BTW, is Terry Gannon a better golf broadcaster than Jim Nantz?  I think so.

4. More range sessions showing the golfers as they warm up.  In particular, I would love to see a shot tracer positioned DTL of say, Justin Thomas, as he goes through the bag.  It would be a split screen with JT and the tracer on one side, and on the other side, the stats for the club being used.  In depth real-time swing analysis by BC, DD, NB, or even hiring Peter Kostis would be a plus.

5. For range sessions, get a director who actually is paying attention.  Is it me?  Or does it appear that TGC purposely shows the range sessions for Justin Rose with that ball hanging from the lanyard training aid, but then cuts away mid-swing or doesn't bother one way or the other to insure that the full swing in the frame.  Unfortunately, the range sessions are usually treated like background pictures for the talking heads at TGC who usually are talking about a subject completely unrelated to the pictures.

6. Playing lessons on the PGA course of the week.  Get a pro and play the course for the Tour stop that week.  The playing lessons show must be one of the relatively cheapest to produce.  Just do more of them at locations that are timely. 

7. Hire Phil Mickelson to do whatever he wants in front of the camera.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

Not a huge fan of the men or women's NCAA stuff.  I guess there's no way around it at the highest college level, but it seems like the coaches are a lot more involved than they should be.  Towards the end of match play events, when there are only a couple of matches left on the course, there appear to be two or three coaches on every hole giving advice, pushing the push carts, holding sun umbrellas over the players, holding the flag stick, raking the bunkers, etc. Counting the two competitors and their posses, there may be over 7-8 people on the green when there should basically just be two.  The involvement/intervention of the coaching entourages is a major distraction for me and IMO takes away from the competition.  

I skipped the men’s event this week. After that tourney they showed a few weeks ago and watching the women a couple weeks ago, the over coaching/committee approach took its toll, lol. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blaiser said:

I think it would be cool to see a segment that goes more in depth on a tour player's training regiment. See what their actual day to day is like on non-tournament days. How much time they spend on each aspect of the game, and how that might change throughout the season/off season. Fitness included.

It's fun to see their tips and such while playing a practice round or hitting some balls on the range -- but I would love to see what it's like when they are really working on something. I think we can all relate to the struggle when something is off about your game and you're trying to fix/improve it. Or conversely how they stay in the zone when they are playing well.

Dude on golf pass does this, Don Saladino? I think thats his name. Its not different players regiments but rather a golf workout show. Big Break was fun, especially when it was Ams. 

Edited by shoot4par
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

I’d love to see replays or highlights of prior years tournaments on the Tuesday and/or Wednesday. Like this week we could see the 1996 Tom Watson highlights or one of the Tiger wins, any notable or exciting event from prior years. They used to do this often and occasionally still randomly toss one in as a “Golf’s Greatest Rounds”. I’d love it if this was a regular piece of programming every week. 

Agree. I knew I couldn’t be the only one who watched stuff like that on YouTube to Match The event going at the time.  Kind of gets you familiar with the course etc too for the week. 

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 hours ago, Go_Blue! said:

Would love more behind the scenes stuff that you see from social media. For example, the Taylormade youtube stuff is great. Foreplay golf guys behind the scenes with the pga guys is great. TXG is great. Basically, YouTube golf media much better than anything on TV minus the tournaments. 

Came here to say this. Tons of great golf content on youtube.. Good Good, GM Golf, Zac Radford, the fore play guys, spitting chiclets. It's all great.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

7 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Bring back Big Break.

A series where they follow different pros each week for the full week of a tournament. A complete look into their week from the moment they arrive in town until the time they depart. A full week looking into the life of a touring pro. All tours.

Paige Spiranac gets her own show. Don't care what it is. 

One hour shows that are instruction sessions where it's just a back and forth between golf coach and the student. Vary the level of the golfers from absolute beginner to touring pros.

Shows on the mental aspect of golf. Again, cover everyone from the beginner to touring pros.

Ha!

They should have a show where Paige pulls up as the cart girl on some guys playing a round and show them all immediately suck their guts in and pull out their money. 

Ratings bonanza ; )

• 1t2golf changed the title to Golf Channel programming (**MERGED**)