Kuch putting right armlock - 2021 3M Open

It just looks... so awkward...  Every shot in golf has the hands ahead.  I can see using the feel of the right hand swinging the putter.. but this is, like, hands behind the ball.  I understand sometimes you need a new feel but this is like nothing else in golf.  He looks contorted in an uncomfortable way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Rogue White 130 MSI 60X

Mizuno 15* 3w Ventus Blue 70X

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19* 3 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X

PING G425 Crossover 4i Tour 85S

Cobra King Pro MB 5-GW X100

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54*

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58*

Edel EAS 4.0

Bridgestone Tour B XS

7 minutes ago, daviegolf1991 said:

looks so uncomfortable, could imagine the arm and back being very sore after putting like that all day. I don't get some of these pros, you play golf for a living, how hard is it to just keep it simple. I agree, all these anchoring methods need to stop.  

Part of playing golf at a high level is also recognizing when something isn't working as well as it could be and improving. If "keeping it simple" isn't yielding tournament success then you try something else. 

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage Proto 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti V2 17* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist TS21* Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0 // Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

2 hours ago, BD57 said:

Seems the gripe about anything but "old school putting" always comes down to "appearance," a/k/a "it doesn't look right."

Funny thing . . . . the same folks don't agitate for outlawing graphite shafts, 460cc driver heads, perimeter weighting, etc. - or, for that matter, putter designs which maximize MOI.

None of which existed in the "good old days."

For the purists, why aren't you advocating for outlawing graphite shafts, driver heads no bigger than the old persimmons, and putters no more complicated than the old bullseye / 8802 / Billy Casper-type mallet?

If armlock was so much better, why'd Xander abandon it so quickly - especially after spouting off like he did that it should be banned because it's soooooooo superior?

"Oops" . . . I guess it wasn't "superior" for Xander . . . . 

armlock doesn't "lock" the club in place.  At most, it provides a tactile checkpoint / reminder to the player using it - "If you let your wrists break down, the grip will come off your forearm."

But that's all - armlock doesn't "keep the grip there," the player has to do that with his wrists.

No different than any other player whose putting method 'keys' on not letting the wrists break down.

Fine to go ahead and arm lock I’m just saying this looks like an absurd way to putt. But he’s a savage golfer and I’m just a random guy so what do I know

• Like 1

I used to belly and arm lock before it was even a thing 10-12 years ago. It’s so much easier to hit your lines with both once you get the hang of it.

So the issue is the speed. It was way harder to feel distances and put touch on the roll. 
To each their own. I now see red stakes and  play it that way. I also know you can ground and move lose impediments. 
It’s rules fellas and when basketball was first invented with Apple baskets the ball had to be removed by a guy on a ladder every score.  
rules change to improve the games. So until the rules change we obey.

KISS is what comes to mind. I have enough to worry about in life!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB
- TI M3 - 10.5 w/ Haz Black or Tour Issued Matrix Black Tie S+
- TI SLDR Mini 16* w/ Tp6HD tipped/butted S+
- Tour Issued m1 5w w/ Diamana D+ 75s
-  Tour Issue m2 5hl w/ Proto 80x  /  GAPR 3hi 80s 

-  MPh5 4-5, MP25 6-p w/CTapers 120s
- Tour Issue Cleveland CG12 52-58 r300 shafts (I must be old)
- Putters = Testing Everything and Anything to try and improve.

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it!

On 7/21/2021 at 6:58 PM, BD57 said:

Seems the gripe about anything but "old school putting" always comes down to "appearance," a/k/a "it doesn't look right."

Funny thing . . . . the same folks don't agitate for outlawing graphite shafts, 460cc driver heads, perimeter weighting, etc. - or, for that matter, putter designs which maximize MOI.

For the purists, why aren't you advocating for outlawing graphite shafts, driver heads no bigger than the old persimmons, and putters no more complicated than the old bullseye / 8802 / Billy Casper-type mallet?

If armlock was so much better, why'd Xander abandon it so quickly - especially after spouting off like he did that it should be banned because it's soooooooo superior?

armlock doesn't "lock" the club in place.  At most, it provides a tactile checkpoint / reminder to the player using it - "If you let your wrists break down, the grip will come off your forearm."

But that's all - armlock doesn't "keep the grip there," the player has to do that with his wrists.

No different than any other player whose putting method 'keys' on not letting the wrists break down.

Couldn’t agree more 👍

Kuchar has been doing this for a couple months.  At least. Forget which tournament it was mentioned in.   But before the Pga I’m sure.  But great pics Greg , best look at it Ive seen. 

Edited by bladehunter

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Nothing about this looks comfortable. The last place I want to be standing over a putt that I need to make is in a position of discomfort.

Srixon ZX7 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW KBS Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/[email protected] & 61/[email protected] Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Ricky Johnson 506 Wide Body No. 2 Raw LA Golf TPZ One35 Black
Titleist Pro V1x #13

Take a look at the stats none of these guys are amazing putters, not in the top 30 in putting....none of these guys are putting lights out and taking the tour by storm...did you see how bad that Zalatoris putt was?!?! He was arm-locking, if he didn't have that want I don't think he would be where he is now.....Once the green reading books are banned, don't know how Byrson will cope with 3ft putts 

Edited by skee

WITB
Driver: TBD: Currently TM TI M4-Fujikura Motore X F3 6s (tipped 1")
3Wood:TM M6 3 wood Project X Hzrdus Red 75 6.5 (tipped 1")
Hybrid: TM TI Gapr Hi iRod 85tx
4 iron: TM TI Gapr Lo Aldila Green TX 105
Irons: 5-pw Tour Issue TM Tour Preferred MC 2014 KBS Tour V X
Wedges:Tour Issue TM Hi-Toe 50-54-60* KBS 610
Putter:TM Ardmore 3 w Accra FX 300 
Ball: Bridgeston Tour Xs or Vice Pro plus

On 7/22/2021 at 12:58 AM, BD57 said:

From my perspective it's nothing to do with being a purist. It's simply that golf has taken a very strange approach to anchoring. Armlock is more than a "tactile checkpoint" the clues in the name , now I'm OK with that but if you are going to allow armlock then allow belly anchoring, etc. Maybe that would work for Xander, maybe not, but either you are going to insist on players controlling the putter with your hands or you aren't, otherwise it all becomes an arbitrary judgement on what should be allowed. They stick a limit on the maximum length of a driver, why not do so with a putter too and make it say 37 inches to suit tall guys and then you can putt however you want, job done.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:22 PM, Pleasedwith3putts said:

From my perspective it's nothing to do with being a purist. It's simply that golf has taken a very strange approach to anchoring. Armlock is more than a "tactile checkpoint" the clues in the name , now I'm OK with that but if you are going to allow armlock then allow belly anchoring, etc. Maybe that would work for Xander, maybe not, but either you are going to insist on players controlling the putter with your hands or you aren't, otherwise it all becomes an arbitrary judgement on what should be allowed. They stick a limit on the maximum length of a driver, why not do so with a putter too and make it say 37 inches to suit tall guys and then you can putt however you want, job done.

Have you actually tried it?

I have and don't use now because it's not all sweetness & light.  As much as you take hands out of the stroke to "do it right," it can make distance control complicated.

And, ultimately, you DO control the putter with your hands.  If you don't, the shaft comes off the arm & all the same issues which come from the hands misbehaving are in play.

12 hours ago, BD57 said:

Have you actually tried it?

I have and don't use now because it's not all sweetness & light.  As much as you take hands out of the stroke to "do it right," it can make distance control complicated.

And, ultimately, you DO control the putter with your hands.  If you don't, the shaft comes off the arm & all the same issues which come from the hands misbehaving are in play.

Stock response of not all sweetness and light applies to all  methods, most of the tour chose not to use any of the methods now banned which tells you something. I tried the armlock on the putting green at a demo day and with the right set up and grip you've got to be pretty poor to allow the wrists break down. Makes zero sense allowing it and not say belly putting, you aren't controlling the putter fully by placing a long grip with a flat side against the inside of your forearm (which is not flexible!), you can try to dress it up however you want.

Man this is even LOOKING uncomfortable! Hope it helps his game but wow, it is looking weird

Full WITB thread

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz 3 15*

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1