2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Is it soon time to consider hitting balls on driving ranges as the dominant format to play the game?

Wormkiller

I listened to a podcast called Local Knowledge where they talked about golf in Japan, and how there are literally millions of ‘golfers’ who never even get a chance to play on a course. Instead, they exclusively get their golf fix hitting balls on driving ranges. There is just not enough space for courses and the prices to play real golf is too high.

The same applies to many densely populated Asian countries - China, South Korea, Indonesia, Thailand. Playing actual rounds is an absolute luxury to the overwhelming majority who enjoy the game. For this majority, there only access to the game is through driving ranges. And it’s only getting worse as population and urbanisation increases and climate change increasingly limiting the ability to maintain courses and play outside.

It might even be reasonable to even assume a very high percentage of ‘golfers’ actually rarely play rounds on courses - from a world wide context that is. Not to mention the millions of social golfers who would choose to hit balls with their buds having beers over hacking around on an actual course.

Lately I’ve been putting in solid hours on the range with the aim of getting technically better. I actually find it immensely enjoyable hitting buckets of balls. I don’t know how many can relate. 

I played a round a few days ago and it occurred to me that I might actually get more enjoyment out of the game on the range than on the course. I played ok, it wasn’t the standard of my  play that I was disappointed with, rather it was waiting on the tee for the green to clear, the pressure of making a good shot, the whinging of my playing partner, the time between hitting balls…

So the range has typically been seen as a practice facility to work on your game to take to the course. Is it perhaps time to consider hitting balls on the range as an equal or perhaps even the dominant way to ‘play’ the game?

• Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Wormkiller said:

So the range has typically been seen as a practice facility to work on your game to take to the course. Is it perhaps time to consider hitting balls on the range as an equal or perhaps even the dominant way to ‘play’ the game?

Nearly all players who shoot 72 or better have at one period  in their lives spent thousands of hours on driving ranges and practice greens. If one wants to get good they must learn effective technique and practice same, at the range. If you are a 20 handicap and want to become a 10 then spending time at practice facilities instead of on the golf course is a great idea.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

21 minutes ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

With exception of extraordinarily long waiting times for the group in front of you, what you're describing is the game of golf.

I like hitting range balls too, but it isn't golf.  It's like going to the batting cage set for a 50 mph fastball instead of playing baseball.  I found that my game suffered tremendously when I spent more time on the range than on the course.  Grooving a swing for a perfectly flat lie may be a good starting point, but to really improve at the game you need to play the ball down on a real course...and hole every putt.  Then you start to appreciate how wonderfully complex and difficult this game really is.  

But what if you cant actually take your game to a course?. Hard to relate to for us affluent westerners, but for millions this is the reality.

• Like 2

I spent the last month learning  how to hit my driver off a tee into the net in my  back yard.   A luxury as I also get to work on my lawn and garden between practice swing sessions.

Yesterday was the first day I was able to hit a set of four balls and bounce them off the target in the center of the net.  My can of foot spray, used to mark the face of the club hit, is nearly all gone.

I learned golf decades ago but driver is something I didn't learn way back then.  Chipping and iron shots came back quickly because I hit a ton of iron shots getting to the green.  

Apparently yes, in those particular countries, but that's been the case for a long time.

In the UK, lol, good luck finding a range.  Ireland?  The same. U.S.?  Of course it isn't.  As far as I know plenty of access and play in Australia, but I don't live there.  Canada?  People are out playing golf.  Really no idea across Europe/South America, etc. but seems to be a lot of actual play among golfers.

So in some places I definitely agree - it is the most common way to have access to hit golf balls because people can't play the game, but it isn't playing golf and in terms of geography, probably not the most common form of access.  

• Like 1

I do believe launch monitors have created a game separate from a real golf course. For example the club review web sites feature guys hitting relatively straight 200 yard carry 6-irons and 295 carry driver shots. However, when these same players provide video of them playing on a real golf course, their attempt at 6-iron from 180  comes up 15 yards short of the green , their driver shots are often 250 in the rough, and their 18 hole score is 80-something. So, I believe a 0 index launch monitor handicap may be a 6 index outside on a real golf course.

There are leagues for indoor launch monitor golf played on simulated courses but I don't know if guys have one handicap for indoor launch monitor golf and another for regular golf.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

People in Asia spend all of their time at the range because golf is incredibly expensive there and very few can afford it. Granted it's not necessarily "cheap" in the US, but it is much more affordable than most other countries. To me saying hitting balls on the range is just as good as playing is like saying spending 2 hours in a batting cage is the same as playing a 9 inning baseball game. 

From my perspective if you prefer beating balls at the range maybe you don't actually like golf all that much. What you really enjoy is just hitting things with a stick...

• Like 3

I dont know about "dominant format" but I do understand the question and believe that there is a hybrid form of golf being created. 

To say golf is only played on a course? That depends on one's definition of golf, because I ask, has anyone been to a TopGolf location recently? The wait times are typically obscene, getting reservations usually require a couple days notice as spots fill up. 

The clientele is fairly diverse in skill level and age, but the popularity doesnt seem to be waning. 

As that popularity seems to be increasing however, I sadly also report that 3 driving ranges near me have closed in the last 12-18 months. So I'm not sure ranges will be the replacement for golf, as they seem fewer and far between, but I wouldnt be surprised if more of the "hybrid" type golf gains popularity.

41 minutes ago, Llortamaisey said:

I’m going to side with Allen Iverson on this topic. 

what says he? a side of cheese fries and a betting line on the bucks? lol

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

38 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

People in Asia spend all of their time at the range because golf is incredibly expensive there and very few can afford it. Granted it's not necessarily "cheap" in the US, but it is much more affordable than most other countries.

Places like Japan, Korea, China have millions of millionaires. For example, median cash savings for Japanese households is six figures - the average US household savings is about $12.65. Playing is not that expensive when you consider the overall costs of living, less taxes, etc. It's certainly less expensive than playing where I am in the US.

"Very few can afford it," is kind of old thinking. Many are busy working and saving money, which is a very foreign concept to many now... 🙂

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

"We sitting in here talking about practice.  I mean, listen:  I'm the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice.  Not a game.  Not a game.  We taking about practice, man." - Allen Iverson (abridged).   Classic rant.  

Range time... mostly boring (see practice).  More so if I have to hit off mats.  Rather head to the local goat track and play a solo "practice" round.  Sim golf....boring.   Hitting into a screen 15' away is not golf.  Have to turn on 10' gimme putts because the execution is so wonky.  I'm not of the video game generation.  Top Golf....mildly entertaining.  Something to do in the dead of winter when one has the urge to whack some balls.  Play games.  Beers are too expensive.  

Thankfully, have a plethora of course options to choose from.  Never paying more than $50 to play (weekday senior rates).  Playing weekday mornings, do not have POP issues.  Be prepared to shoot and scoot (mostly) amongst the geriatric set.  Always get around in less than 4 hours.  Forget weekends.  Yeah, golf season is "only" ~ 9 months.  I don't mind the down time.  

I play golf out in the wild.  A key component to the game's appeal.  If it was no longer an option, would move on to my other recreational pursuits.  

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

17 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Places like Japan, Korea, China have millions of millionaires. For example, median cash savings for Japanese households is six figures - the average US household savings is about $12.65. Playing is not that expensive when you consider the overall costs of living, less taxes, etc. It's certainly less expensive than playing where I am in the US.

"Very few can afford it," is kind of old thinking. Many are busy working and saving money, which is a very foreign concept to many now... 🙂

Pretty much.

To say that Japan does not have golf courses because they don't have enough room is false.  They don't have more golf courses for the same reasons any other places don't have them, lack of demand and inability to stay afloat financially because of that.  Japanese golf at a club is an undertaking.  it is an all day event, not just a quick 9 or 18 on a Saturday morning before your wife and kids really get stirring at home.  

Japanese kids go to school 6 days a week too.  There is a fundamentally different family dynamic and work dynamic going on there.  

I worked at a Japanese owned place for several years.  Guys would come over for their tour of duty with us and they would want to play.  They had great swings for the most part from hitting balls at the range but they struggled adjusting to hitting off of real grass and varied lies.  Took them a while to get the hang of that and the impact that different lies have on ball flight.

1 hour ago, Llortamaisey said:

I’m going to side with Allen Iverson on this topic. 

Spit my coffee out reading this, holistically agree.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

I like going to the range, the chipping green, and the putting green almost as much as playing golf. But, time spent  at the range, chipping green, and putting green is not playing golf.  
People might enjoy the range but if they never tee it up on a course, they’re not golfers, they’re rangers. 

• Like 2

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

If your not playing the ball as it lies, your not playing golf, even if you are on a golf course. Hitting balls off of rubber tubes and mats is not golf. Hitting a ball into a screen is not golf. Hitting balls into lighted circles on a range isn't golf. 

Call these pursuits something else, but don't call them golf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

what says he? a side of cheese fries and a betting line on the bucks? lol

or if you prefer it in classic hip hop form:

Edited by rooski
  • Like 3

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

I love hitting balls at the range.  Like truly love it.  I think to get good at anything, you have to enjoy the process.  But not everyone is a masochist.

That said, if you can't apply that to a real course then what's the point?  Golf is played on a golf course.  Throwing footballs through a tire hanging in the backyard doesn't make me a quarterback.

• Like 3

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

12 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I don't know about the range, but I think a lot of what I see on courses week in and week out, the people would be far better served at a place like Top Golf.   The guys who want to do nothing but drink beer all round, the guys who think it's social hour and the entire group has to move from ball to ball....  

^^^^^^^ this. I want to give this 100 likes. 

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Australia (where OP appears to live) has some of the lowest population density of any nations on earth. So he's clearly looking for solutions to problems that in no way apply to him. If you love the driving range, good for you. People who have access to actual golf courses should still get to play them, because ultimately, that is golf. Not Top Golf 

Canada has tons of land , there will be no golf courses in the cities, that i can definitely see....Real estate is too expensive

But like 30 minutes from the cities? Nothing but cows man. Lots of room for courses

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Going to a driving range and calling it "golf" is like shooting on a basketball net in your driveway and calling it basketball.

Can you improve? Sure, but it's not the same thing. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec