Hybrid that doesn't go left.

rockhound100bopd

TEE Pro models have swappable weights, keep the heavy one in the toe and it won't go left. Love my EXS Pro and I've only had it a couple of rounds. Cheaper than the big brands and very hot. 

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

5 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

When hybrids boomed back about 2005, the average ones had a fair amount of offset. The goal was replace long irons with a club that was easy to hit, including square up.

The pro and tour hybrid heads were more likely to have square faces. This helped to limit left misses for those who had good motion through the ball.

Second factor: as with fairway woods, flattening the lie and lowering loft (opening the face slightly) will help prevent left misses

Third factor: ball position. For most golfers, hybrids fly best if you hit down on them like an iron rather than sweep them like a wood. People who sweep hybrids tend to play the ball too far forward, which means the clubhead has closed down - rather than squared up - by impact.

Oddly, this ball position hint came to me from a Chicago area club pro who was also a Titleist rep. At a demo day, he showed me that left misses with a driver could be caused by playing the ball too far forward (the close-down zone).

100% agree with this.  Ball position has been the number 1 contributing factor to most of my misses. Also, shaft kick profile has a lot to do as well. I don't think a simple hybrid change will stop the lefts... good luck. 

8 hours ago, rockhound100bopd said:

Well not everyone is a scratch golfer nor will they ever be.  Certain clubs perform differently for different people, and I have tried a few.  It's not about changing your swing to fit a certain club, bc I could do that, but that defeats the purpose.  The idea is to find a club that fits your swing.

I would also experiment with ball position a tad, this has helped me (I am about a 6 as well, decent but not phenomenal striker).

My older Epic is an adjustable which I can go -2 on to open it up. As mentioned the Mavrik Pro (not standard) is very neutral at address and I have picked one up for my 3. I can work it (which is a fancy way for saying I can draw or fade it but not necessarily on command because I am no pro 🙂 ) and it is quite forgiving.

Titleist makes a good neutral hybrid: people still gaming the 818 all over for example. 

Once you find one you will likely keep it for a long time. I still see Adam's in people's bags 🙂

- b

• Like 1

I quit hybrids for a few years due to the lefts.  Sim 2 Rescue brought me back.

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

4 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

Titleist makes a good neutral hybrid: people still gaming the 818 all over for example.

I stuck with irons over hybrids for years due to the lefts - stock shot was always a draw but I couldn't control it with hybrids.  The 818H1 was the first hybrid I felt 100% comfortable with and I still play a couple.  Also have a couple CLKs, yes fully on team hybrid now.  Either one is a good choice for testing, if you don't like the 818H1 you should be able to flip it without taking a big hit. 

Some hybrids definitely go farther left than others.  I will say that my apex 19 hybrid doesn't go quite as far left as my sim max or steelhead xr hybrids.  So yes, the club does make some difference, however...  It has only been when I have started to understand my swing faults that I have actually got the ball to start going where I want it to.  Understanding exactly what I am doing in my swing has led to better ball striking.  I can't necessarily fix the bad stuff, but knowing I do it and how makes it easier to manipulate. With this knowledge I can work the ball left or right.  Is it perfect? No, nowhere near to be honest, but at least I am not hooking it off the planet every time I use my hybrid. 

Anyway, good luck.  

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

16 hours ago, SUITS said:

818H2 has been good for me, if i pull it its just a dead pull, havent had any draw spin. Its very straight for me with the evenflow blue 85

Currently playing the 818 H2 as well. Only way to hit it left is a bad swing. Clock it open and loft it all the way down and it's actually too much anti-left, which is a statement I would have never thought I would say about a hybrid.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

22 minutes ago, bazinky said:

Currently playing the 818 H2 as well. Only way to hit it left is a bad swing. Clock it open and loft it all the way down and it's actually too much anti-left, which is a statement I would have never thought I would say about a hybrid.

The settings do warrant mentioning. I have set it to the flatter side and lofted up and played it the STD loft flatter both were almost push fade everytime. In the standard lie I have still not had any hook issues like I have with all othe models outside of the original adams pro. 

I have a Cobra F7 3 & 5H that had a tendency to develop a very ugly snap hook in a hurry. 

I replaced the OEM R-flex shaft with a S-flex Tensei Blue and that eliminated the snap hook. I can still have bad shots with the club (like I can any club), but it is much more suited to my swing and much more predictable since the shaft change. 

22 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Mavrik Pro is one of the better anti left hybrids I have played. Sits square to just a hair open. Flight is straight to fade bias, for me that is. I’ve had it in my bag since they were released and haven’t thought about switching. 

Agree 100%. You can order than either 1 or 2 degrees flat as well. They also have a very straight, flat face closer to an iron with little noticeable bulge and roll.

My Taylor Made M6 hybrids liked to go right, so I had to play them with a hard draw stance and swing to keep them straight. I replaced them with Cleveland HB hybrids that like to go left, so with them I can take a more neutral stance and swing and they're well behaved. If you're looking for hybrids that are less likely to go left I'd try M6 or SIMs.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

14 hours ago, MountainKing said:

If hybrids had a left issue, nobody on tour would use them.  I'd suggest lessons and figuring out what you're doing when swinging a hybrid that results in a left shot.

Dumb argument.  First the OEM's custom fit them in ways most people don't have easy access to.  They aren't playing them OTR.  Most/not all hybrids are designed with draw bias, that's a fact. 

Some aren't, so go find those, Ping G 410 or 425 in a flat setting would be a good example. 

Lastly, why should you have to change your swing for one club?  what will it do to the rest of your game?  Some swings work betterwith with hybrids, some better with fairway woods.  My suggestion would be to try a high lofted FW first, try a hybrid with a stouter shaft or a flat setting and neutral weighting like the Ping.  

There is a reason a lot of guys on tour are going to 7 woods or driving irons, and moving away from hybrids.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 8/22/2021 at 11:21 PM, MountainKing said:

If hybrids had a left issue, nobody on tour would use them.  I'd suggest lessons and figuring out what you're doing when swinging a hybrid that results in a left shot.

What about the guys on tour that don’t like hybrids because they go left for them? 

Edited by jomatty

On 8/23/2021 at 5:05 PM, bazinky said:

Me too. Irod 105F5 in the 20 degree and 85F5 in the 17.5 lofted down to 16.5. The stouter and heavier shaft is the biggest anti left change. 

Almost everyone who picks up the 20 degree and has a swing at the range hits a huge block fade/slice with the exception of the super hard turners. 

I'm not sure that most hybrids are draw biased anymore but maybe they are just easier to turn over if your grip is even the slightest bit strong?

I am curious, have any of those who are having issues with over drawing a hybrid tried weakening up your grip a good bit or opening the face a tad at address? And if so what were your results?

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DaveMc82 said:

Me too. Irod 105F5 in the 20 degree and 85F5 in the 17.5 lofted down to 16.5. The stouter and heavier shaft is the biggest anti left change. 

Almost everyone who picks up the 20 degree and has a swing at the range hits a huge block fade/slice with the exception of the super hard turners. 

Good points. I actually think the majority of people playing hybrids are using shafts that are way too light. I prefer to have my hybrid shafts closer to the weight of my irons. I tend to struggle with my tempo and get too quick/jerky with lighter shafts, which usually results in a snipey little hook.  

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

So many condescending replies here, get over yourselves.  Answer the question asked - if you don't have an equipment suggestion then just leave it alone. FFS!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

On 8/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, Cwebb said:

Some head designs definitely have a bias, one way or the other.  Combine this with the wrong shaft and some will end up with a club that really wants to go left

It's never advertised as such, is it? One would think that manufacturers would do so, same as they do with woods and drivers. Or do the reverse ("the anti-left hybrid!"), since for some reason unknown to me the majority of players seem to hit them left. Though I suspect that there are more posts about hitting hybrids left than straight so it just seems that it is an issue. 

Personally I used to hit all woods right - drivers, fairways and hybrids - until I learned that my takeaway was wrong. 

I love hybrids and find a 16o 2 hybrid can easily replace a 3w: near same distance but easier to hit from any lie. For me, fairway woods are on the way out. 

To make a suggestion to the post: Taylormade 2017 m1. It responds very well to the sliding weight that allows it fade or draw bias. I keep it in neutral, as I don'thave an issue with either side. It also is loft adjustable so face will open up a bit if you loft it down. If you don't take my word for it, check out Rick Shiels' vid of it, if i remember correctly in fade setting he couldn't hit it straight or go left, lol! Must be able to find one cheap. 

You could also simply open the face a tad by placing your lead hand half or one thumb width left of where you normally place it (for right handed players).

20210826_072323.jpg

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

5 minutes ago, Jifmoli said:

It's never advertised as such, is it? One would think that manufacturers would do so, same as they do with woods and drivers. Or do the reverse ("the anti-left hybrid!"), since for some reason unknown to me the majority of players seem to hit them left. Though I suspect that there are more posts about hitting hybrids left than straight so it just seems that it is an issue. 

Personally I used to hit all woods right - drivers, fairways and hybrids - until I learned that my takeaway was wrong. 

I love hybrids and find a 16o 2 hybrid can easily replace a 3w: near same distance but easier to hit from any lie. For me, fairway woods are on the way out. 

To make a suggestion to the post: Taylormade 2017 m1. It responds very well to the sliding weight that allows it fade or draw bias. I keep it in neutral, as I don'thave an issue with either side. It also is loft adjustable so face will open up a bit if you loft it down. If you don't take my word for it, check out Rick Shiels' vid of it, if i remember correctly in fade setting he couldn't hit it straight or go left, lol! Must be able to find one cheap. 

You could also simply open the face a tad by placing your lead hand half or one thumb width left of where you normally place it (for right handed players).

20210826_072323.jpg

You have to kind of learn what the industry trends are and then test accordingly with that in mind.  Most of the time a "standard model" hybrid is designed for the majority of average players, who benefit from a head with some draw bias.

In that same brand, the "tour" or "pro" model hybrid, will generally not have that draw bias design and will be intended to be "neutral" or sometimes slightly fade biased

16 hours ago, jomatty said:

What about the guys on tour that don’t like hybrids because they go left for them? 

I suspect they are saying so because hybrids are not cool and are for amateurs and girls or whatever silly thing they think. An ego thing. 

There is a video of TM staffers trying new clubs and McIlroy finds a hybrid in his bag. The others start laughing and Rory jokes that "maybe they think I need it!" Later on he says the thing is money...

No such issues on the LPGA, plenty of hybrids around. 

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

15 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

You have to kind of learn what the industry trends are and then test accordingly with that in mind.  Most of the time a "standard model" hybrid is designed for the majority of average players, who benefit from a head with some draw bias.

In that same brand, the "tour" or "pro" model hybrid, will generally not have that draw bias design and will be intended to be "neutral" or sometimes slightly fade biased

Maybe... That applies for irons for sure but for woods and drivers it is always advertised if it has draw bias.

Hybrid ads mostly talk about easy launch from any lie for those that struggle to hit long irons. Between standard models and player model hybrids the talk is more about workability,  look at address and launch height. I do not see the standard anti-right arguments much. 

I guess I am not convinced, lol! But you may be right, will pay attention to it from now on. 

39 minutes ago, Jifmoli said:

Maybe... That applies for irons for sure but for woods and drivers it is always advertised if it has draw bias.

Hybrid ads mostly talk about easy launch from any lie for those that struggle to hit long irons. Between standard models and player model hybrids the talk is more about workability,  look at address and launch height. I do not see the standard anti-right arguments much. 

I guess I am not convinced, lol! But you may be right, will pay attention to it from now on. 

You also need to pay attention to the lie angles of the hybrids.  Many of them have been designed upright.  For example, if a someone fits into a 6 iron that has a 61* lie angle,... then a 16-21* hybrid that has a 60* lie will likely be too upright, which automatically adds more draw bias into the head, even if the head is not manufactured with "internal weighting" to promote a draw.

Upright = more draw bias

Flat = more neutral or fade bias

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jifmoli said:

I suspect they are saying so because hybrids are not cool and are for amateurs and girls or whatever silly thing they think. An ego thing. 

There is a video of TM staffers trying new clubs and McIlroy finds a hybrid in his bag. The others start laughing and Rory jokes that "maybe they think I need it!" Later on he says the thing is money...

No such issues on the LPGA, plenty of hybrids around. 

I don’t know if it was that same video but there are videos where Rory and DJ specifically say they like the sim max hybrid because it doesn’t go left for them.  Maybe it’s macho posturing, or maybe they have just found that some hybrids go left for them, and it is important to find the right one.  Like Rory, the sim max hybrid has been money for me, while some others have had the occasional big left miss in them (an unusual miss for me).  My game is almost identical to Rory’s so that makes sense…

• Haha 1