Has new gear ever improved you short game?

Mookieb10

I’m a tinkerer and a ho. I don’t test everything at PGASS, instead, I go and buy a 3-4 different iron sets a year along with a couple drivers, shafts, wedges etc. I thought equipment makes a difference on the margins until I hit a G400 Max driver. It’s improved my driving handicap over every club I’d ever used by 3 strokes. I’m in a really happy place from tee to green, around a .5-1.5 handicap. From 20 yards and in I’m getting comfortable with my wedges, sticking with some Jaws Forged wedges and seeing success. But on the greens I’m horrific. Like a 18 handicap. I’ve tried to stick with an Oddessey Ten all year with no luck. I’m worse than ever. I’m resigned to the fact that less*ns may be my best option. Anyone ever have a putter that completely changed their putting or does having the touch of a pedo resign me to battling the flat stick in perpetuity? 

Absolutely.  The PM grind wedges I use now have made me much better around the greens.  My bunker play has improved dramatically, and I have chipped in/lipped out more times the past two seasons than I ever have before.  I've completely changed my strategies on par fives and short par fours to get as close to the green as possible because of them.

• Like 2

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Better grinds and better groves - at least compared to the retail stuff pre-2009 

Wish the industry would move on from S200 shafts, though 

Edited by RCGA

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Correct grinds helped tremendously with the wedges. My putting improved when I found a style that worked for me, generally a mallet/larger blade with a plumber neck. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

If not for the groove rule and availability, I'd still be playing Cleveland 588 RTG's.  I currently play Callaway MD5's and think they're great but I still prefer the 588's.  I guess there's only so much that can be done with a traditional wedge designs.  My favorite putter is still a bronze Scottsdale Anser although I have been putting with a counterbalanced Odyssey Tank 7 this season to see if all of that extra stability offers any measurable advantage.  I like the putter but the jury is still out.  

For the OP, you won't find a lasting solution exclusively in the putter rack.  Putting is a relative strength of my game and has been for most of the 35+ years I've played.  I, however, totally lost my putting 15 or so years ago.  I read Utley's book, the Art of Putting, and decided to fully commit to it.  I got my putter fit to the stroke I was working on and just worked at it.  I'm not saying that Utley is your answer, but I believe that you need to settle on a basic technique, get a putter that fits you and the technique and just grind it out.  Many struggling putters can't break out of it long term because they just keep throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks....putters, grips, posture, stroke, etc.  You see that all the way up to the PGA Tour.  The best putters however all stick to a consistent combination of technique and equipment.  The specifics vary from player to player as there are many ways to get the ball in the hole but they all perfect their own way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is where a putter fitting could really help you, I know some guys would say lessons but if you have an ill fitting putter if the ball isn't rolling well it won't matter. Like for me I found out I need 1-1.5° of loft on my putters, I would never know this without a fitting and just continue with the standard 3° like everyone else. 

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

51 minutes ago, lazyjc4 said:

Absolutely.  The PM grind wedges I use now have made me much better around the greens.  My bunker play has improved dramatically, and I have chipped in/lipped out more times the past two seasons than I ever have before.  I've completely changed my strategies on par fives and short par fours to get as close to the green as possible because of them.

+1 for PM Grind wedges. Don't care about how ugly it looks. If PM works for your game, there's nothing else!!! Should we get a backup set as they will be discontinued??? 

Often, short-game changes have reflected environmental changes in the courses around me, or swing changes.

My first time living in Southwest Oklahoma, all the greens were quite fast. I used a MacGregor putter quite well. When I returned a second time, some of the courses had slower greens, not cut too close in order to help them survive the shock of hot summer heat (like 80 straight days one year of 95* F. temperatures). For these courses, I used a component club round-bar putter which got the ball rolling better with less effort.

image.png.98553f0a85f57acfb3a14cbff9942b19.png

Then there's wedges. Circa 2009, I went across the board from stiff to regular shafts in my clubs. Prior iron set had P, S and L wedges with it. This time, I needed everything above PW. Spent a bit of time sorting through specialty wedges and settled on Cleveland CG14s. Played 50, 54 and 58 for about five years.

Then, I switched over to engage the bounce style for partial wedges. This means using bounce of sole grind to skim club over the turf, not taking much divot, rather than engaging the leading edge and chunking a good divot. The CG14s had a rather sharp leading edge which was not a good mix - too grabby. Solution: I shifted to the MD3 and MD4 wedges from Callaway, with much smoother soles and rounded leading edges. Made it much easier to engage the bounce.

And just this spring, I went from a 54* W-grind to an S-grind with smaller flange in SW. Courses in area were going to heavy sand - less likely to blow away - and the thick flange would hand up in bunker too much.

4 hours ago, MattM97 said:

This is where a putter fitting could really help you, I know some guys would say lessons but if you have an ill fitting putter if the ball isn't rolling well it won't matter. Like for me I found out I need 1-1.5° of loft on my putters, I would never know this without a fitting and just continue with the standard 3° like everyone else. 

MM summarizes my later putter fitting experience that tweaked my Ping Pal nicely.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

New for the sake of new? No. Stumbling across the right fit though can certainly happen but it can be an expensive route to get there. 

In the current market I’ve done well enough buying and selling things to try. In some parts of the bag I know what works, in other parts it’s more a case of I know what doesn’t.

• Like 1

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

Agree with all above on wedges.  Once loft/bounce/grind is dialed in most people will see results seemingly overnight.

As for putters ... I'm in the camp where it is much more an art than a science and you either got it or you don't.  Can a fitting help?  Maybe.  Will lessons help?  Probably.  Will practice help?  Definitely.  Is it possible to find that one magic flatstick that will make all your problems go away?  I guess in theory.  But I truly don't believe most people are poor putters because they can't start it on line.  I think the overwhelming majority of us are just bad at reading greens, both break and speed (and most of us will never acknowledge that either).  The difference between a made putt and a lipout is so damn miniscule.  And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.  If I knew I wouldn't average 32 putts a round.

• Like 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Absolutely not.  In fact, my short game was way better making chipshots using an old wedge with low bounce off carpet against a net in in my basement.  Once I got the hang of it, it was stupid easy chipping with higher bounce wedges.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I did a SAM putter fitting 15years ago and result shocked me that I needed a less forgiving style putter - a regular neck blade! I made the switch and my putting got better right away and ever since I have been a good to very good putter. With out the fitting I am sure  I would have kept moving in the wrong direction - trying more and more 'forgiving' putters as my putting got worse and worse.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I should also note that I have one of those practice mats with line on it. It is great to tune up my putting and practicing hitting the ball straight from 8 feet and 4 feet. Being able to putt the ball straight is a great skill to have! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RobS said:

If not for the groove rule and availability, I'd still be playing Cleveland 588 RTG's.  I currently play Callaway MD5's and think they're great but I still prefer the 588's.  I guess there's only so much that can be done with a traditional wedge designs.  My favorite putter is still a bronze Scottsdale Anser although I have been putting with a counterbalanced Odyssey Tank 7 this season to see if all of that extra stability offers any measurable advantage.  I like the putter but the jury is still out.  

For the OP, you won't find a lasting solution exclusively in the putter rack.  Putting is a relative strength of my game and has been for most of the 35+ years I've played.  I, however, totally lost my putting 15 or so years ago.  I read Utley's book, the Art of Putting, and decided to fully commit to it.  I got my putter fit to the stroke I was working on and just worked at it.  I'm not saying that Utley is your answer, but I believe that you need to settle on a basic technique, get a putter that fits you and the technique and just grind it out.  Many struggling putters can't break out of it long term because they just keep throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks....putters, grips, posture, stroke, etc.  You see that all the way up to the PGA Tour.  The best putters however all stick to a consistent combination of technique and equipment.  The specifics vary from player to player as there are many ways to get the ball in the hole but they all perfect their own way.

+1 for Art of Putting.  I was pretty awful on the greens for a long time and now putting is the strongest part of my game.

It's a must read imo.

• Like 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

2 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I did a SAM putter fitting 15years ago and result shocked me that I needed a less forgiving style putter - a regular neck blade! I made the switch and my putting got better right away and ever since I have been a good to very good putter. With out the fitting I am sure  I would have kept moving in the wrong direction - trying more and more 'forgiving' putters as my putting got worse and worse.  

I was kinda the same, I got back into golf a few years ago, my putting sucked so what do I do? I go down the MOI rabbit hole trying everything and my putting got worse. So I said screw it go the other way and found out I putt best with a simple Anser or Anser 2 style head. More trial and error found a flow neck worked best for me, finally went for a fitting and it was confirmed I putt well with a flow neck blade. But as mentioned above I need little to no loft on my putter and after that everything came together.

Like you if I didn't do that fitting and lessons I'd still probably be chasing the MOI Dragon on the putting green.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

What has helped me- (1) Heavier wedge shafts (2) Getting a putter that fits my stroke and using the “saw” grip. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver - Titleist TSR3

3 Wood - PING G425 LST 

Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons (4-PW): Mizuno Pro 223

Wedges: Mizuno T24 - 50*, 56*

Putter: Cameron '23 Phantom X 5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

No only more practice 

Titleist TSR2 11 w/ 2024 Fujikura Ventus + Blue 6 

TaylorMade Qi10 16.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7

Titleist TSR2 7 wood 21 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8 

PXG 0311X 18 w/ Graphite Design DI 95

PXG Gen 6 DC P's 5-GW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105

PXG SD2 56/60 Raw w/ LA Golf WV 115

Scotty Cameron 009 

Titleist ProV1X

Vessel Player IV

I'd echo the folks saying that wedges have made an impact.  Understanding the courses you play and setting up your wedges with a plan in mind is certainly an advantage.

For me - I play soft fairways and wet / shallow sand frequently.  For the last year - I've been using a Vokey 55/12 D grind bent weak to 56/13 for most shots, while carrying a Vokey 60/6 T grind for the bunkers and occasional tight lies.  I pretty much never play the 60 with a square face.

Taking some time to think about your conditions and preferences can certainly help you tune your equipment to be beneficial in the short game.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I went for a putter fitting/lesson and was given a choice - get a putter that was the best option for my flawed setup and stroke, or change setup and stroke, and work with a putter suited to better fundamentals. I decided on the longer-term solution, and changed grip completely and worked on reducing how much I opened and closed the face. An hour or so in the garage every night during lockdown (nothing better to do…) grooved the new stroke and I no longer fear putts longer than 18”. Lesson was totally the right choice.

9 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Putter fitting really helped me. Down to 33” from 34” and added loft to 4*.

now making all kinds of putts that I was just missing by a little bit before.

Also, ‘19 PM grinds are $$ 

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

1 hour ago, RainShadow said:

Putter fitting really helped me. Down to 33” from 34” and added loft to 4*.

now making all kinds of putts that I was just missing by a little bit before.

Also, ‘19 PM grinds are $$ 

+1 on the putter length. I'm 5'5", and was having inconsistent results with a 34" Odyssey blade (great putter otherwise), so I changed to a 33" Cleveland mallet putter, as I also needed a bit more help with alignment, and it worked a treat.

As for wedges, pick clubs with grinds that suit your conditions and style of play. I play a Cleveland RTX4 X-low 58* lob wedge with 3* of bounce. It's a bit unorthodox, but it is excellent from the tight stuff, and it allows me to play just about any shot I want from round the green, which is especially helpful when the local green keeper doesn't want anyone chipping to within 6ft of the hole 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sociojeje said:

+1 for PM Grind wedges. Don't care about how ugly it looks. If PM works for your game, there's nothing else!!! Should we get a backup set as they will be discontinued??? 

I'm always keeping one eye on the BST and the bay.  The OG wedges are getting harder to find, I've got to snag another 58* while I still can.

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Three purchases have helped my short game tremendously.

1. Switching from a 60 degree LW to a 58 degree. Far more consistent distance on full and half swing shots, can still open it up and flop it.

2. Putter with a front sightline, suits my eye much better.

3. Ball line marker... I can't aim for s*** so this alone has taken a couple strokes off each round.

• Like 1

The PM Grind and now the Hi Toe has significantly improved my game. 

I also think your wedge shafts weighting is very important to get right. I went heavier and I'm seeing much better ball flights and better gaps. 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Titleist TSR3 8* - Ventus Black TR 6X

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* - Ventus Black TR 7X

Callaway UW 19* - Ventus Red 7X

Callaway X Forged UT 20* - LA Golf A 85X

Callaway Apex '21 5-PW - TT ETS 115 X

Titleist SM9 50* & 54* - DG S200

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - KBS Hi Rev 115 S

EVNROLL ER5B - Stability Tour Black

On 10/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, Mookieb10 said:

I’m a tinkerer and a ho. I don’t test everything at PGASS, instead, I go and buy a 3-4 different iron sets a year along with a couple drivers, shafts, wedges etc. I thought equipment makes a difference on the margins until I hit a G400 Max driver. It’s improved my driving handicap over every club I’d ever used by 3 strokes. I’m in a really happy place from tee to green, around a .5-1.5 handicap. From 20 yards and in I’m getting comfortable with my wedges, sticking with some Jaws Forged wedges and seeing success. But on the greens I’m horrific. Like a 18 handicap. I’ve tried to stick with an Oddessey Ten all year with no luck. I’m worse than ever. I’m resigned to the fact that less*ns may be my best option. Anyone ever have a putter that completely changed their putting or does having the touch of a pedo resign me to battling the flat stick in perpetuity? 

I was in a very similar place as you a couple months ago. No putting drill or green reading technique could help me hole more birdie putts or three putt less. Finally decided to try a putter fitting as the rest of my bag was fitted and I saw an immediate improvement the second those fitted clubs were in the bag. I wanted forgiveness, stability, and a sightline to help me start the ball on the right line. I found that with the Ping Sigma 2 Tyne. Now while I was starting the ball on a good line, my distance control was still putrid. Eventually I did some reading and found out that if you're putting on quicker greens, a heavier putter will aid distance control as your stroke won't be as quick. So I added about 10 grams of lead tape to the bottom of my putter, and there was improvement. Added a few more, and even more improvement. Eventually I settled in at around 15 grams added to the bottom of the tynes, and now I'm rolling them better than ever. This is obviously a n=1 example and won't work for everyone, but your story sounded so similar to mine I thought I'd share.

I just ordered a backup Stroke Lab V-Line putter. I have putted great with it since retiring all my wooden putters. As for wedges, I like to have fresh faces every year, it's just really stinkin' expensive.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize