LIV with some big money announcements (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

CCTxGolf

52 minutes ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

If he's been suspended by the PGA Tour I am certain the PGA of America would uphold the suspension. There's absolutely no other reason Phil would not play in the PGA Championship. It's also why he didn't play in the Masters.

That would be a big risk to ban him from the PGA. He's defending champion and honoring a different organization's ban would be collusion and look very corrupt. Not to mention that the Tour doesn't disclose suspensions or their reasons. They could play it up so that the mainstream media would tear them a new one. 

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

29 minutes ago, KizIsTheMan said:

What if Phil joins LIV for a year, plays like absolute crap in all the events while still getting the massive payout, trashes the course set-ups and  calls Norman an awful commissioner and at the turns out to be a PGA Tour plant who destroyed LIV from within. Phil gets the LIV money and Monahan agrees that Phil will get the PIP money as long as he's a living/breathing individual.

As a conspiracy theorist, I am now rooting for this.

• Haha 3

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

55 minutes ago, djmohab2 said:

As a conspiracy theorist, I am now rooting for this.

I'm honestly hoping this is true to an extent. Both Norman and Phil are the type of guys who think they're always right and if I was Jay Monahan I'd try to destroy the beast from within as opposed to suspending/banning players. Both Greg and Phil are gonna disagree on the vision of this eventually and it'll be super messy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KizIsTheMan said:

I'm honestly hoping this is true to an extent. Both Norman and Phil are the type of guys who think they're always right and if I was Jay Monahan I'd try to destroy the beast from within as opposed to suspending/banning players. Both Greg and Phil are gonna disagree on the vision of this eventually and it'll be super messy.

I honestly think Norman, at least, believes in the concept. He wants to prove that his World Golf Tour idea from the 90s that was cannibalized by Finchem can indeed succeed. FIGJAM is so far up his own backside, and who knows if he has gambling debts or whatnot, to get a decent read on what his true motives are.

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5

37 minutes ago, KizIsTheMan said:

Phil is old. Was always weird, and is getting way weirder. Not very interested in him anymore. Sort of yesterday's news (in terms of golf). Only thing keeping him relevant is controversy. He doesn't need to be banned - he'll just lose a lot. Interview that top guys on Tour right now after a round, and they'll talk about the course, their competitors. Listen to anyone talk about their "vision for the future of the Tour", and you are listening to someone no longer in contention, living in their Springsteen Glory Days. 

IMO, I enjoyed watching him in his prime. A genuinely great golfer (that did unbelievable things with wedges). Wish he would have just sailed off into the sunset on the Champions (if he needs the money, which he probably does) with dignity and honor. 

A really sad ending to the career of a really good golfer. But he shot himself in his own foot. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Speculation reigns supreme! So much that some of it will have to be prophetic.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

57 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Phil is old. Was always weird, and is getting way weirder. Not very interested in him anymore. Sort of yesterday's news (in terms of golf). Only thing keeping him relevant is controversy. He doesn't need to be banned - he'll just lose a lot. Interview that top guys on Tour right now after a round, and they'll talk about the course, their competitors. Listen to anyone talk about their "vision for the future of the Tour", and you are listening to someone no longer in contention, living in their Springsteen Glory Days. 

IMO, I enjoyed watching him in his prime. A genuinely great golfer (that did unbelievable things with wedges). Wish he would have just sailed off into the sunset on the Champions (if he needs the money, which he probably does) with dignity and honor. 

A really sad ending to the career of a really good golfer. But he shot himself in his own foot. 

Phil's always been one of my favorites, but he's gone off the deep end the past decade. I don't know if the arthritis medication is f'ing with his head or it's the CBD infused coffee but he straight up reminds me of Adam Scott's character from step-brothers.

He's definitely done some stuff this past decade where he seems like either batsh** crazy or trying too hard to earn brownie points w the press 

Here's a list of some moments that might've been forgotten (non-Saudi edition):

• 2012 Masters: aiming for the grandstands on a par 3
  • 2013 flying cross country before the US Open 
  • 2014 calling out Tom Watson when it could've been private
  • 2014-16: the whole insider trading fiasco
  • 2017: skipping the US Open for a graduation (this seemed like Phil was just trying to be a media darling)
  • 2018: the US Open penalty and the creation of theMatch
  • 2019: Literally starving himself to lose weight

Phil is a caffeinated Californian in his 50s looking to make a quick buck and hopping on any trend to make him seem relavent

• Confused 2

Phil should move abroad and only play other tours (Asian, DP World, Japan, etc). The backlash in the US and US fans hating on him it too big to overcome at his age. From what it sounds like, it is probably going to be his focus since he signed up for all the LIV events. Sounds like from all the backlash all over the internet, majority of people will be happy to see him gone. I'm a Phil fan and he is fun to watch. This has not been a great story too see. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 4:02 PM, djmohab2 said:

Uh, did you not hear what he said to Shipnuck? When was he about anything *but* the money?

Duh, he was totally full of it when he tried to pull one over on us by saying he’s doing it “for everybody else”.

Everybody knows Phil is all about Phil and only Phil. Just ask him, off the record of course

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would love to see the guys who are taking the Saudi money to trash the Saudi regime while they're at it. Just go full Philly Mick and say they don't like taking dirty money but they're beyond the point of making serious money on the PGA Tour. Give the Saudi's a black eye while taking their filthy lucre.  😀

11 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

If he's been suspended by the PGA Tour I am certain the PGA of America would uphold the suspension. There's absolutely no other reason Phil would not play in the PGA Championship. It's also why he didn't play in the Masters.

The PGA Tour does not run the Masters. Nor does the PGA of America. Fred Ridley also stated that Phil told him he would not be playing. Ridley also said Phil was invited just like all prior Masters champions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

Only the most ardent Phil and Norman supporters thought this was about anything but a payday for Phil and Norman.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

11 hours ago, bobfoster said:

That's probably the most unfortunate thing. Phil was a great golfer, maybe an even better entertainer, and was so well liked that people were willing to overlook almost anything he did "wrong". He was always trying to maximize his net worth, was always arrogant, did some sleazy things... and it didn't matter because he would show up to the course with the most charisma of anyone on tour.

This latest series of events won't tarnish his legacy forever, but for the next few years I don't think that many people will be able to look at his career as a whole and really appreciate it in the face of his whole sportswashing effort.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

I keep hearing that the Saudis basically just have unlimited money and can throw practically any amount they want at the tournament purses and player appearance fees. So what's with the ticket prices then? If the money means nothing to them, why not make the events free (or nearly free) to attract as many fans as possible? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fairways4life said:

I keep hearing that the Saudis basically just have unlimited money and can throw practically any amount they want at the tournament purses and player appearance fees. So what's with the ticket prices then? If the money means nothing to them, why not make the events free (or nearly free) to attract as many fans as possible? 

Yes - and weird ... they announce ticket prices before they announce who is actually going to be playing. 

• Like 1

In some ways the success of the LIV to attract bigger stars will be up to us as consumers.

If Callaway gets a lot of push back for being a sponsor of any player that plays in the LIV they will likely have to drop the sponsorship of that player.

I suspect that even for a big star like Phil Callaway may move from a "temporary" suspension of their sponsorship to a full time one.  With today's social media it will not take many posts to the Callaway website or chatter on various golf forums to give concern for many companies.

So unless the pro is willing to lose all or most of their sponsorships they will have second thoughts about joining the LIV.

We will not see the real impact of this until the first ball is teed off in the LIV tournament.

3 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Not smart business decision on LIV. Their company is a start-up and product has not been proven, so charging premium prices not a good move. They need all the viewers they can get for the first events. 

1 hour ago, Golfnuck said:

In some ways the success of the LIV to attract bigger stars will be up to us as consumers.

If Callaway gets a lot of push back for being a sponsor of any player that plays in the LIV they will likely have to drop the sponsorship of that player.

I suspect that even for a big star like Phil Callaway may move from a "temporary" suspension of their sponsorship to a full time one.  With today's social media it will not take many posts to the Callaway website or chatter on various golf forums to give concern for many companies.

So unless the pro is willing to lose all or most of their sponsorships they will have second thoughts about joining the LIV.

We will not see the real impact of this until the first ball is teed off in the LIV tournament.

Not sure the lower ranked players will care honestly and why we will see a number of "who" players in the events to start.   * most those guys get gear, not $$.

The top players for sure will be an issue for.

A standard Tour event for last year, the person who finished last averaged 16K payout.

IF TRUE... LIV says last place gets $120,000.  8 times the payout.  So math wise a "who" player does 2 LIV events and that is equal to last place in 16 PGA tour events, assuming they even qualify for the weekend.  

FUN FACT:  if your "good enough" to make the weekend in 30 PGAT events in one year and you crap out every weekend and finish last at all those events ( ...yes statistically low chance of happening.... )  you would have won $480,000 so pretty good income.... YET you lost your tour card by $516,716.  So over double  😃   

2021 the 125 player was Fancesco Molinari and he won $996,977.  

4 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Each day is a shotgun start too, so it's not an all day event. You at best get half the golf that you would normally get at most events.

Edited by aus10KC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tacklingdummy said:

Not smart business decision on LIV. Their company is a start-up and product has not been proven, so charging premium prices not a good move. They need all the viewers they can get for the first events. 

I'm not sure how this is a BUSINESS when they somehow have to try and recoup millions/ hundreds of millions right off the bat 

1 hour ago, aus10KC said:

Each day is a shotgun start too, so it's not an all day event. You at best get half the golf that you would normally get at most events.

Yes ... I was sort of puzzled as to why they did this.

BTW - does  anyone know where/how/if it gets broadcast? Some cable channel? Streamed?

2 hours ago, CDM said:

Not sure the lower ranked players will care honestly and why we will see a number of "who" players in the events to start.   * most those guys get gear, not $$.

A standard Tour event for last year, the person who finished last averaged 16K payout.

IF TRUE... LIV says last place gets $120,000.  8 times the payout.  So math wise a "who" player does 2 LIV events and that is equal to last place in 16 PGA tour events, assuming they even qualify for the weekend.  

FUN FACT:  if your "good enough" to make the weekend in 30 PGAT events in one year and you crap out every weekend and finish last at all those events ( ...yes statistically low chance of happening.... )  you would have won $480,000 so pretty good income.... YET you lost your tour card by $516,716.  So over double  😃   

Agree that the higher ranked players (those not within the top 125 world ranking) will go just for the extra $$$.  But those players will not generate much sponsorship revenues anyway.

LIV is trying to get the top ranked players and those guys do bring in significant sponsorship revenues and for the top of the top those revenue streams continue long after their prime.

I read somewhere that the pressure to join LIV will come after a few tournaments of no names and the top rank players begin to think they could beat those guys on a bad day.  The potential loss of their sponsorship deals may sway some from joining.

Given today's instant social media reactions, the sponsors will also react quickly.

Edited by Golfnuck
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Golfnuck said:

Agree that the higher ranked players (those not within the top 125 world ranking) will go just for the extra $$$.  But those players will not generate much sponsorship revenues anyway.

LIV is trying to get the top ranked players and those guys do bring in significant sponsorship revenues and for the top of the top those revenue streams continue long after their prime.

I read somewhere that the pressure to join LIV will come after a few tournaments of no names and the top rank players begin to think they could beat those guys on a bad day.  The potential lose of their sponsorship deals may sway some from joining.

Given today's instant social media reactions, the sponsors will also react quickly.

Norman literally said that was the plan. Some guy ranked #350 would win $4 million and then the big names would want in on the action.

“Quite honestly, it doesn’t matter who plays, we’re going to put the event on,” Norman said. “There’s a $4 million first prize. I hope a kid who’s 350th in the world wins. It’ll change his life, his family’s life.

“And then a few of our events will go by and the top players will see someone winning $6 million, $8 million, and say ‘enough is enough, I know I can beat these guys week in week out with my hands tied behind my back’.”

Greg Norman Lays Out Plan To Lure Top Golfers To Saudi Golf League (brobible.com)

Taylormade TP5

Ultimately, as mentioned this one could be up to the fans. A poster also mentioned viewers. Is any network even going to touch this one. And wait for the pay-per-view saga. 
Lots of meat on the bone for GC and it could mean another season on Netflix. 
Ticket prices are staggering. 
Im Joe Six Pack, Senior, with a hip problem. I think I’ll have to pass. 
Unfortunately, like any car wreck, someone’s going to get hurt. I cheered him on at the PGA, but …..

11 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Yes ... I was sort of puzzled as to why they did this.

BTW - does  anyone know where/how/if it gets broadcast? Some cable channel? Streamed?

The latest I read was that it would likely just be streamed. For a fee I'm sure. 

(That is, until Fox inevitably picks up the broadcast rights.)

The shotgun start definitely feels very amateur hour. "Okay, Mickelson and Garrigus, 11B. Are you guys buying any mulligans? Last groups in be sure to bring in the closest to the pin markers. And keep up the pace of play. We have the ladies nine and wine group going out at 4:00." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CDM said:

$480,000 or $996,000 may sound like a lot of money, but that number doesn't factor in taxes, travel expenses, caddie fees, etc (costs of playing pro golf). After the costs are factored in, it is not much. 

• Like 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to DJ and Phil's reception by players at the US Open (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)
  • SheriffBooth locked this topic
  • Gxgolfer unlocked this topic