Billy Horschel and PGA Tour/DP World Tour Hypocrisy

DaddySwagMaster

1 hour ago, ga_pike said:

The question is valid.  Why is a PGA Tour player permitted to play a DP event but not a LIV event?  Yes, there is a partnership between the DP and PGAT but why can't a similar agreement exist between PGAT and LIV?  

On another point, the PGAT doesn't grant exemptions for conflicting events on US/North American soil, so IF the DP World Tour were to hold an event in the US opposite of a PGAT event, then I suspect that they wouldn't grant an exemption.  However, the London event wasn't on US/NA soil so there is a difference and the lack of an exemption is based upon a different criteria (which Monahan has already stated).  

Because LIV has stated they want to surplant the PGA tour. The PGA Tour isn't going to give them the players to do that. While the DP tour is big, its not trying to be bigger or take away from the PGA tour.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kmbean said:

To be fair Billy has a hard enough time putting his Octopus pants on and tying his shoes everyday.  He probably doesn’t even comprehend he is in Germany this week. 

Mr. Monahan, Billy Horshel is on the line for you

Oh jeez, tell him I’m in a meeting

He seems very irritated and says to tell you he’s “really mad you won’t let him play Pumpkin Patch Ridge next week”

Omg, ok, put him through, “hey what’s up billy?”

Hey commish, I want to play Pumpkin Patch next week with DJ and Bryson D

Its just Pumpkin Ridge, Billy, and you can’t play there. I just told you this yesterday

Yeah well, how about if I challenge you to a staring contest and whoever laughs first loses? I win, I play Pumpkin Patch. 

Billy, what the he-, never mind, just go play. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, farmer said:

Just read that any DP members who play in LIV events will be banned from DP events.  Players better like the LIV venues.

Correction @farmer .. initially I saw sanctioned, now I see a ban on 3 or 4 tournaments, and $110k.. I was wrong. 

Edited by woodriff

If your entire intent is to "point out hypocrisy" without really making a point about anything, then you're just a beating of a person and it's no wonder that people don't wanna talk to you in real life and you have to post inane ramblings on the internet for attention.

Edited by One Putter
  • Sad 1

Hypocrisy.  Guilty as charged more than once in my life.  I try to be intellectually honest about it and do better going forward.

There are no virtuous parties in this debate.  But, less righteousness coupled with more humility and honesty would be cleansing.

Edited by shot-savior
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HankScorpio said:

When did LIV actually say that?  We all assume that is the case because GN is heading this but he never actually stated that.  He said that he wanted LIV to give players an option to play elsewhere.  He never said he wanted to take over the PGA unless I missed that statement being released.  If I did, then I apologize because I don't remember him saying that. 

Now, we know this is all bs, but if this goes to court the PGA can't argue on they didn't grant releases beause they made an assumption that LIV was trying to take over.  Where is proof of that they are trying to take over? 

LIV doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of tournaments so how can it be argued they are trying to take over?  The've only had one tournament so far.

If everyone says they are just an exhibition, then why is the PGA scared of an "exhibition?"  Just grant the releases for the "exhibtions" that are not on North American soil.  Instead the PGA suspended all the players that left for LIV.

The DP Tour is taking a more measured approach.  They only said LIV cannot play co-sanctioned events.  They didn't make a decsion on future DP sponsored events.  This would have been the smarter thing to do but Jay and his infinite wisdom decided to go all-in right off the bat thinking players wouldn't leave.  

Agree. Greg is just looking out for the guys. 

Does this look like a guy consumed by a mission to decimate the pga tour and dance in its ashes?

Naaaaah

🤣

F9F76BFB-F14C-4DB7-87F0-9A5484ADC43B.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, seis said:

I am one of the few on this site I think that like to watch Billy Horschel. If you know of him off the course he seems to be kind of a Europhile. He has played overseas more often recently and is a Euro soccer fan. This may explain more than a supposed ulterior motive for playing on the DP Tour this week, that and maybe some appearance money. He seems to be popular with golf fans overseas.

I like Billy but I’m British. I don't understand all the hatred for him, he just seems to say it as he sees it. Obviously I don’t see much of what goes on in the US so I could be missing something.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I'm willing to bet this very topic is covered in the agreement the pga and dp tours have. 

If there were an agreement such as you say between the two tours, what would be the recourse for breaking the agreement?

If DP doesn't go scorched earth and Monahan doesn't like it, what would/could he do?

12 hours ago, DaddySwagMaster said:

Before 10,000 of you jump on me and point out what I already know, that the DP World Tour and the PGA Tour are in bed with each other, and players are free to play events on either Tour as they see fit, but I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy of all of this.  I mean, let's call a spade a spade.  The PGA Tour has a problem with Greg Norman, pure and simple.

We've got a PGA Tour event in Connecticut going on this week, and a DP World Tour event in Germany going on.  So I pulled up the leaderboard for the DP World Tour event and I see this collection of players...

W

So did Billy get a "conflicting event release" from the PGA Tour?  I mean, it's in direct competition to the Travelers Championship going on at the same time.

So I guess Louis Oosthuizen, Sergio Garcia, Pablo Larrazabal, among others currently playing on the LIV Tour are free to play all the DP World Tour events they want?

I honestly don't care if you disagree with me, but this is such blatant hypocrisy.  Just come out and admit that you just hate Greg Norman and be done with it.  This is personal to Monahan and nothing more.

Well ... it's obviously personal to SOMEBODY on the forum.

• Haha 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

20 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It's kind of silly to claim something is hypocrisy when you don't seem to have a clue about how it works in the first place, have no understanding of the actual relationship between the PGA Tour and the DP World Tour, have no clue about how releases are granted and under what circumstances and no point going further.

Just another LIV troll post (now a totally unnecessary thread that is nothing more than a comment that belongs in the LIV thread to begin with) crying for attention and no understanding of basic facts.

Who hates Greg Norman?  He's been an ineffectual blustering, bumbling fool for the past several months, kind of hard to deny that.  I don't know that anyone has suggested any emotional reaction to him that borders on hate.  He just needs to go away but the $$$$$ and his decades of resentment towards the PGA Tour that put him on the road to being rich and successful have bubbled over and he's acting out and in a way that is nothing like the sharp, professional businessman he has appeared to be for many years.  So he's revealed himself to be what he is and it's kind of embarrassing.  

Facts? Who said anything about facts? We're not talking about facts. We're ranting and raving about things we have no clue of ... c'mon man, it's 2022, get on board.

Edited by tatertot
  • Like 2

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

10 minutes ago, farmer said:

Kind of OT, but until LIV, I hadn't thought of Greg Norman for years.  I miss those days.

Yep, it was Greg and Chrissie, then Greg at The Open, then Greg and Chrissie break up, then years go by and Greg was on Feherty, lol, shooting some guns and showing off the ranch, and some weird stuff he put out on social media as part of his cry for attention and relevance (oh, and I forgot way back when he was actually publicly whining that Tiger Woods moved into his neighborhood and seemed to have no interest in visiting Greg's house, which was some serious stupid on his part).

So other than a mini run at The Open before fading away, most of what has been attention getting for him has been on a small scale and barely tabloid worthy and pretty much nothing to do with golf.  I assume the business stuff was going okay, never cared about his golf line or his wine or whatever he was into, but he's probably cashed in now with the Saudi sports washing $$$ - like DJ he won't have to worry about feeding the family.

Sorry Greg, I forgot about the brief but captivating turn announcing for Fox.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Short Pete said:

I believe that Billy Horschel is a dedicated, sometimes opinionated, loyal and reliable in your face guy. He reminds me of my best buddy. It’s easy to dislike guys like him when you don’t know them. But if you have those guys on your team you can count on them. He stayed with his wife and supported her through her addiction, not everybody does that. I‘d rather have him on my side than dudes like Koepka or DJ, who are all about themselves. 

Billy is a character and seems like a good guy. I know what you mean about him reminding you of people lol

You know, it’s interesting, he’s very well known but he’s generally been ranked 30th or worse, much worse at times, in his career. Had a good run in 14-15 but never cracked the top 10

In fact, his win at Memorial got him to #11, his best ever. He dropped to 14 with the MC last week.

• Like 1

I honestly think the PGA had a monopoly on the top golfers and they just can’t see how they can relinquish all that money. Now if it was an entity where money was an issue, it would be simple since the PGA had the most money up to this point due in part to the monopoly. Now that you have a contender with deeper pockets than theirs, all the PGA can do is highlight the negative side of the LIV tour which is the backing of the saudi goverment. The hypocrisy are those calling in no connection to the saudi goverment due to their bad history but we all know our own goverment has ties to the same “blood money” because of our import of crude oil. I think it’s the only angle the PGA can take since they down want to be called out themselves about having a monopoly that no one brings attention to.

• Like 4

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I'd be game for a better understanding of the basic facts.

I'd like to understand, aside from the agreement betwen the PGAT and the then European Tour, how was DJ able to go play in the middle east a few years back?  I genuinely don't know all the circumstances regarding his getting a release to go there and play.  Surely he was exempt into the field of whatever PGAT event(s) he was missing?  Fully understanding that fact alone is not the only bit of evidence that factors into a release.

On the surface it does appear that there was a time when players, rather freely, moved between the Euro/DP Tour and the PGA Tour.  I'd bet if I dug I could find some Asian PGA Tour members given leave to go play Asian Tour or Japan Tour events (where they may not necessarily be PGA members in that section.)

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Agree. Greg is just looking out for the guys. 

Does this look like a guy consumed by a mission to decimate the pga tour and dance in its ashes?

Naaaaah

🤣

F9F76BFB-F14C-4DB7-87F0-9A5484ADC43B.jpeg

Nope, this is GN wanting to decimate the PGAT...get it right.

gn.jpg.7f0696135a4ac01165db107c09d89ab0.jpg

• Like 1

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.