***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Are there ANY free agents that use PXG?

2»

Comments

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX  1393WRX Points: 387Handicap: 6.5 and trendingPosts: 1,393 ClubWRX

I'm always surprised that people play or buy certain clubs because of who plays them or who doesn't. I just don't get it, who cares. I play PXG's and love them, was first drawn to them buy the looks. TO ME they are the best looking iron out and play even better. But I will say again, that's TO ME. Don't care what others think about them just like I don't care what's in the bags of the people I play with.

All of the OEM's make good clubs so just pick what appeals to you and play them. None are significantly better or worse than the others, just different.

Posted:

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | Mitsubishi Tensei Red Regular
    3 WD -        Taylor Made M6 14* | Atmos Orange Stiff 
    HYBRIDS-  Adams Pro A12 2/3/4 | UST VTS Silver Stiff
    IRONS -      PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    GRIPS -      JumboMax XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
    PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
    BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
    BALLS -      Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leftycabeleftycabe IowaClubWRX  173WRX Points: 137Handicap: GolfPosts: 173 ClubWRX

You missed the point of the entire thread. It is not about playing something because someone else does. It is a simple discussion about whether or not tour professionals play them out of contract. That’s a typical indicator of preference and perceived value/quality.

That’s great that you like your clubs, but the thread isn’t about whether or not people like PXG as a brand or their clubs.

Posted:
  • mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members  864WRX Points: 311Handicap: 4.2Posts: 864 Golden Tee

I’m not certain, but Perez was just at my home track here in MN and it was a SIM w VENTUS Black.....

again, not trying to be a hater here. My PXG hybrid is one of the longest standing clubs in my bag. But, from a guy who follows gear usage on tour, I haven’t seen anyone excel with PXG. Admittedly, tons of LPGA players have done really well with them.

They’re very solid golf clubs. I don’t think they’re superior. And, to the point of this thread, I can’t think of any FAs using PXG.

Posted:
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9677WRX Points: 610Posts: 9,677 Titanium Tees

FYi. Titleist is doing more than "some play" they have led the Driver count all but just a couple weeks for the past year. And actually have swept all categories in one week somethijg like 15 times over the year as well.

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    Titleist T300  5-P KBS TGI 80 Shaft
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 
    TaylorMade Spider X Custom Blue

• 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

I am not sure why it should surprise you. Most people make major purchase at least in part by referral. I don't have the patience or bandwidth to properly test and evaluate every club option, so I have to narrow down my search somehow. Admittedly I pay more attention to what my club pro plays rather than a tour pro.

And If we are getting really real, I 'committed' to one brand a while back - just found it easier than messing around with everything on the market. If that brand does not offer something I like then I ask around with players who have similar games and try out what been good for them if something is is doing well on tour it may play a very tiny bit of influence .

Posted:
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members  1752WRX Points: 143Posts: 1,752 Platinum Tees

That is a good guess as it's more of a status symbol as it's no one else's business how people spend their money. Give me a free set of PXG irons or the PING G710's, TM P790 Ti, or Mizuno and I will compare them. I bet if the opportunity was ever given to people who want a free set irons PXG wouldn't be the set of choice. I would clearly look at some JDM equipment if money were no object. It's more of a status symbol not different than why people will drive expensive cars or wear expensive watches etc. It's also funny how PXG has slowly drifting away from all the 9 screws to the 0211's and even talking abut some blade coming out. Hype does a lot to sell but proven fact goes even farther.

The fact is No Major's and many big names jumping ship from PXG, go figure for yourself. The other fact is those big names are paid big money to play their equipment so look at the amateur's or PGA players who don't have contracts and what do they play. So go get yourself properly fit and that is one big area where PXG shines but you can get fitted at so many other places free. To fly out to get fitted for a set of PXG's is one expensive vacation for a very expensive set of irons. For people who have that kind of money that would be an awesome experience I'm sure of. The sad Truth of the whole conversation is they are not the Holy Grail of the Golf world as many pretend that they are.

I'm only ranting on because I have a chance to go over board in making a decision to get the perfect set for me....not you but me as all the other are every bit as good so no slamming on other brands as my decision wasn't all that easy for I really loved my last set I had but now this is my retirement set and no names but I want to PLAY my BEST! Good luck in your decision.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MUNIGRITMUNIGRIT Members  351WRX Points: 188Handicap: 7Posts: 351 Greens

Bob doesn't care about touring pros playing them. He knows they are a losing money business for him and he loses even more shelling out huge bucks for club contracts. Is think ZJ still plays them as he has known Bob since he scrubbed his clubs as a kid. PXG isn't after the wannabe touring pro or IG pro but middle to older aged gentlemen who have excess cash to play them. They also are the guys with the boats, planes Harleys etc and that is who he is after and the pretty women golfers.

Posted:
  • capkingcapking CanadaMembers  785WRX Points: 146Posts: 785 Golden Tee

Well they do have borderline pros and used to have Paige Spiranic so maybe they are...

Posted:
  • Crimson62185Crimson62185 Nashville, TNMembers, Paid BST  59WRX Points: 45Posts: 59 Bunkers

My opinion on PXG (irons specifically) is simple. Do I think they have significantly better performance compared to the other similar clubs out there?....no not necessarily. However, I personally really like the utilitarian look, the amazing feel, and of course the performance is just as good if not better for what I’m looking for with the PXGs (Gen3). I’m coming from the Callaway Apex 19/Pro combo set and they wonderful clubs. I simply prefer the looks of the PXGs, believe they are slightly more forgiving than the Apex, and the feel is much better for me. I don’t think PXG will ever catch on much with tour players because they are typically looking for something different in an iron than I am, and they also won’t be a major player for the average consumer because of price. I’m paying a significant premium for looks and feel basically, although I tend to overdraw (my miss) my Apex combo set much more than the PXGs. I’ll also note that I’ve hit Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3 and the first two generations definitely did not perform better than my gamers at the time and I passed on those. That all changed with the Gen 3. There was/is a difference across the board for me.

Posted:
  • MUNIGRITMUNIGRIT Members  351WRX Points: 188Handicap: 7Posts: 351 Greens

Not sure what she did to get fired but it was abrupt. He ia cool with women who are hot and IG influencers. He is not interested in the local mini tour player who is playing them and constantly asking for new stuff for free.. The guys that play PXG are the ones who play golf with him. If you notice ZJ(Iowa), PP(AZ andprobably his best PGA tour friend), Moore(gamed them first because he was one of the first to go no contract), James Hahn(Scottsdale), Dahmen(Scottsdale), Clark(Scottsdale). Just like joining Scottsdale National, you need to have a relationship with Bob and have him invite you to play them. His Harley shop right by PXG is ran as a non profit and it is one of the biggest ones around.

Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2874WRX Points: 1,019Posts: 2,874 Titanium Tees

She was on a 1 year contract, it expired and she moved on. She did a video on it

Posted:

Advertisement
  • eRod v1.0eRod v1.0 "In Rod We Trust" Members  1230WRX Points: 163Posts: 1,230 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    PXG 0811X Gen 2 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
    PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* - Aldila NV Green 75X
    PXG 0317X Gen 2 17* - Aldila NV Green 85X
    PXG 0317X Gen 2 22* - Aldila NV Green 85X
    PXG 0311P Gen 2 5-AW - Project X 6.5
    PXG 0311T "Sugar Daddy" Black 54* - Project X 6.0
    PXG 0311T "Sugar Daddy" Black 58* - Project X 6.0
    PXG Mini Gunboat
  • mgoblue83mgoblue83 Members  409WRX Points: 207Handicap: 2Posts: 409 Greens
    Posted:
  • jwes83jwes83 Members  11WRX Points: 10Posts: 11 Bunkers

What business becomes dominant (in a very traditional industry) where incumbents have the better part of a century of embedded brand loyalty? They are around what, maybe 5 years? And if they aren’t a predominant as Titleist in the first few years is that really a sign of a problem?

Golf is about as traditional of an industry as it gets. Give them maybe one decade.

Posted:
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members  1752WRX Points: 143Posts: 1,752 Platinum Tees

Look how long NIKE was around and where are they now. If Bob doesn't want to shell out any more of his money for big names like NIKE did it's just going to make it harder for PXG as he more interested now in the average golfer who has the money to burn as he did have some big names but they has been more leaving than joining. Don't buy these if you think they will become dominant on tour just look how people were rushing out to buy Honma when Rose left TaylorMade. If your looking for something different very unique with high tolerances excellent quality and money to burn then look toward a nice set of JDM equipment like Epon's or Ryoma, as there are some nice equipment in that market and I wish there were more opportunity here in the States to demo their stuff.

Posted:
  • miamistompmiamistomp Members  102WRX Points: 73Handicap: 13Posts: 102 Fairways

Probably when the owner loses interest or dies , the brand does too

Company is all about his personality

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MinaretsMinarets Nashville, TNMembers  4567WRX Points: 324Posts: 4,567 Titanium Tees

Sneds has been hitting pxg for sometime at a local fitter. The fitter told me he wouldn't be surprised if he made the switch whenever his Bridgestone contract was up. Take that for what it's worth.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5*
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-PW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, Taylormade Bigfoot Hi-Toe 60*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green) (something new is coming, cant decide.)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X
  • jwes83jwes83 Members  11WRX Points: 10Posts: 11 Bunkers

True. PXG hasn't even been in existence long enough for some tour contracts to expire.

Posted:
  • BigtimeHCBigtimeHC Members  23WRX Points: 30Handicap: +.1Posts: 23 Bunkers

I don't think it's a bad product but it is telling that FA's don't flock to them. Anyone know when the last time a full bag or even partially sponsored player won with PXG sticks?

Posted:

Taylormade SIM 9° - Accra FX 2.0 360 M5

Titleist 917 F2 15° - Aldila Rogue Max 75X

Mizuno HMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100 TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - C-Taper 120S

Mizuno T20 50° and 54° - DG TI S400

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58° - PING AWT

Toulon Las Vegas H7

Bridgestone Tour B X

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23810WRX Points: 7,670Posts: 23,810 Titanium Tees

Celine Boutier won the 2019 ISPS Handa. Celine and Anna Nordqvist were both members of the winning Solheim Cup team in 2019. Lydia Ko won the Mediheal in 2018.

Posted:
    • Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
    • TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
    • Ping G400 7wd 20.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff 43"
    • Ping G400 9wd 23.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff
    • Ping G400 26 and 30 hybrids - Alta CB 70 Stiff
    • Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
    • Ping Glide 2.0 52 SS, 56 WS, and 60 WS AWT 2.0 Wedge
    • Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Thats sad as I can see that happening. Doesn't he have any family members who would be willing to take over the business if that were to happen?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • miamistompmiamistomp Members  102WRX Points: 73Handicap: 13Posts: 102 Fairways

The son who was convicted of choking his girlfriend ...

Posted:
  • BigtimeHCBigtimeHC Members  23WRX Points: 30Handicap: +.1Posts: 23 Bunkers

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I wonder what the disparity is from the LPGA to the PGA tour then? Seems to be a lot more success/wins on the LPGA that hasn't translated to the PGA. Could be higher level LPGA pros on staff versus middle of the pack PGA pros? I confess I'm not up to date on the LPGA so please forgive my ignorance.

One example that sticks out to me is the solid golf Zach Johnson was playing up until he switched over and since then, nothing of note. Heck, Kokrak was playing lights out and has fallen off the map since his full switch as well. Makes zero sense to me.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM 9° - Accra FX 2.0 360 M5

Titleist 917 F2 15° - Aldila Rogue Max 75X

Mizuno HMB 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100 TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - C-Taper 120S

Mizuno T20 50° and 54° - DG TI S400

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58° - PING AWT

Toulon Las Vegas H7

Bridgestone Tour B X

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23810WRX Points: 7,670Posts: 23,810 Titanium Tees

I attribute it to the simple fact that the major brands pay a decent amount to sponsored male professionals. My understanding is that PXG doesn't do that. Since there are far fewer equipment deals available on the LPGA, the players have more leeway in selecting clubs. I have a hunch that PXG gives their clubs away to any player who wants them, so you see more (non-sponsored) players with a handful of clubs in their bags.

Posted:
    • Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
    • TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
    • Ping G400 7wd 20.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff 43"
    • Ping G400 9wd 23.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff
    • Ping G400 26 and 30 hybrids - Alta CB 70 Stiff
    • Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
    • Ping Glide 2.0 52 SS, 56 WS, and 60 WS AWT 2.0 Wedge
    • Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"
  • J13J13 Dad golf MarylandMembers  16625WRX Points: 1,625Handicap: +1.6Posts: 16,625 Titanium Tees

Where did i say the part you "quoted" from me about Titleist? Also do you have the driver count from each tourney this year? Would love to see those numbers.

On another note when players go free agent they typically go with TM woods as they get a nice check plus good equipment. Hard to argue as they are being paid to play golf and are there to make money.

Posted:
    Driver     -     Cobra SZ Xtreme 9* w/ Aldila RIPX 75TX
    3W         -     Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
    Hybrid   -      Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* w/ Project X evnflow black 85X
    Utility     -     Callaway Xforged 24* / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Irons      -      Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Wedges -      Callaway MD5 50S, 54S, MD4 60C
    Putter    -      Odyssey Versa 6
    Ball        -      Srixon Zstar XV

WITB & Content - 
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1108083/j13s-witb-2020-irons-podcast-pics-added-pg-101/p1

Instagram
    On -, @Jminis13

• Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9677WRX Points: 610Posts: 9,677 Titanium Tees

LOL...You didn't I was going to tag on your comment about the 15-20 handicappers hitting close to home with a smiley face. Then I got distracted and forgot to finish the post, it saved in my quote box or something when I went to reply to the guy who said Titleist is getting "some play" in drivers. I have the numbers on a week to week basis, but not as a whole, I can put them together to share with you in the next day or so when I have time.

Sorry for the misquote !

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    Titleist T300  5-P KBS TGI 80 Shaft
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 
    TaylorMade Spider X Custom Blue

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.