2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

PXG Commercials are really really really bad - am I right?

2bGood

5 hours ago, bubbagump said:

Exactly.  At the very least I cant remember the most recent Ping or Callaway commercial let alone lines from it.  PXG hits the mark there on rental space in your mind with their commercials even if cringy, end of the day that is the point.  They make dope clubs not magic wands, that if fit will perform for you probably no different than any other club (some better than, some lesss than).    

I actually see far more PXG than I would think in the wild, and about 75% of it is full bag and usually sported by a guy that cant break 100 with the whole thread get up that youd assume.  The others are guys who are serious players and who came out of testing with PXG the winner.  Either way, PXG got paid.   

PXG to me is quality stuff, but as a company its more like an independent candidate running to grab as much market share and shake stuff up as much as they can.  They have been pretty good at doing so, and lasted longer than I would have thought.  Props.   

Edited 5 hours ago by bubbagump

I don't see too many in the wild round these parts; but, I don't really look at other's people's clubs.  I watch people's swing rather than what they're swinging. I have a set of irons (Gen 3 0311T Elevate Tour) and a 2 iron, and one of my playing partners has a set of irons (Gen 2 0311P some steel looking graphite shaft) and a 3 hybrid.  That thing hits very well by the way and I'm highly tempted .  So does the 2 iron.

At any rate, a set of irons (as least as I view a set 3-Gap) is going to be 75% of bag just by definition. 

Have never received a comment good or bad.  Maybe that is because I am an iron headcover guy.  I get tons of comments from the Jumbomax grips that are on them.  LOTS of people want to see how those feel and are like, "wow those feel really comfortable". 

I think your break 100 comment can be pretty much directed at most full-bag-down-to-the-towel types.  I run into a fair amount of Titleist, TM, Cally, Mizuno, etc only setups where they clearly wrote a check their swing couldn't cash.  Usually blades of some sort (not bagging on blades since the 0311T's are somewhat bladey).

Good post and I enjoyed the "dope wand" comment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edapp said:

To add to that, I have gotten calls from PXG throughout the year asking for feedback, if I like the clubs, making sure I am satisfied and whatnot. That is pretty cool. 

7 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Same here, I was surprised first time they called. 

7 hours ago, jgonz69 said:

Yup, called me too.

Worth noting that this is pretty awesome that PXG is following up with their customers to see if they’re enjoying the product. That is definitely something that builds loyalty.

I can’t see Titleist, TM, Callaway, or PING ever calling me after buying their products.

I’ll also say that being able to choose your own shafts, grips, lie angles, and lengths etc is very appealing too.

The biggest drawback as many have mentioned is not being able to see them in person and try them out before buying.

I don’t like the commercials, or what I’m hearing about the CEO/his family, but at the end of the day if I could hit them and they were clearly the best for my game I could at least consider them...without being able to do that, it’s a big leap of faith.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 2/13/2021 at 2:37 PM, Alan Douglas said:

It’s amazing that idiot doing the commercials is still doing them the same exact way years later! I don’t know who the hell brought him up in this world but call most any person “sweetheart” in the manner he does in every commercial, and he would end up on the floor! It’s an arrogant company with an arrogant leader.  Not to mention paying $500+ Per club is just plain laughable! No club is going to help you make that 12 footer! 

Agree.  Thanks for your service, but if you call me sweetheart  to my face, you're getting dropped like a two foot putt.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

What I find amusing is anyone that buys new clubs to replace properly fitted clubs in hopes it will buy them a better game.

Then they think PXG is going to somehow even give them yet a better game... It's hilarious!

I see buddies buying and trying new clubs annually and they're the same index they always were.  Why? Because it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 1:23 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

What I find amusing is anyone that buys new clubs to replace properly fitted clubs in hopes it will buy them a better game.

Then they think PXG is going to somehow even give them yet a better game... It's hilarious!

I see buddies buying and trying new clubs annually and they're the same index they always were.  Why? Because it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. 

30 minutes ago, starrman77 said:

PXG irons are for people that think the more they spend, the better they will play.

The above statements could be said about any manufacturer on these boards. I have a PXG hybrid, but I also have Callaway, Ping and Tour Edge in my bag. I never bought a club that I didn't think would contribute to at least a small improvement in my game, but unfortunately like BlackDiamondPar5 says above, "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian".

I wholeheartedly agree, but new stuff can be fun...for awhile.

We all work hard so we might as well enjoy things while we still can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, dlygrisse said:

It seems what Parsons has done, and I think it's really smart by the way.

1.  Burst on the scene, big wild claims about the best equipment, 

2.  Charge more, create a niche for people with high disposable income, oldest marketing trick in the world.  Perceived value.  

3.  Create a brand that is brash, bold and high perceived value.  Some hate it for the same reason they hate Rolex or Vineyard Vines.    

4.  Give great discounts to the veterans, a little warm and fuzzy with the bombast.

5.  Covid hits and bam!  drop prices, offer products for the masses.  Collect those stimulus checks.  

6.  Direct to consumer products, custom fit over the phone, at a better price than any OEM>

7.  He makes more money at a lower price because he cut out the middle man.

8.  Genius part is big box is dead, he is on-line and killing it with a perceived premium product that in some cases is cheaper than the big boys.  He is ahead of the curve against the Callaways and Taylor Mades of the world.  Delivered to your door.  

9.  Like it or not, PXG is the new normal, those that don't move this direction are going to lose market share rapidly.  

10.  While many are hating him he is out smarting them with marketing genius.  

I don't have any of their clubs yet, but if I could get a premium driver for $250 less than the other brands, why wouldn't I?  

I remember when Ping did just the opposite, you could only get the Eye2's through a club pro, no big box.  Custom fit only, no off the rack and they cost a little more.  It created brand loyalty, mystique, and a air of quality.  Over time they lost share, but they had created a brand based on quality, now they are in the box boxes.  They need to look at their cross town rival and pay attention.  

I was willing to buy a generation or two older model to get a custom fitted driver when PXG offered their Gen1s for $125 through their vets deal. No brainer. As far as I am concerned ALL of the big OEMs charge too much for their clubs. But at least PXG gave me an option to try their products and I wasn't disappointed. When I look at some of the other OEMs who are still charging $250 and up for their drivers that are 2 or even 3 generations old I think THAT is ridiculous. 

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

On 5/14/2017 at 4:53 AM, 2bGood said:

Is it just me or are the PXG TV commercials just way off the mark? The voice over guy sounds like he should be doing 'tongue and cheek' underwear commercials.

Given the price point of these clubs I really expected a more elegant campaign, but the current one makes them sound like value clubs.

I could not AGREE with you more. I thought it was only me. At the price point it’s crazy to use the most aggravating, grating voice one could find. Understand reading the thread it’s the CEO. Ego driven.
if I could afford to hit them, I would not. Simply because of the marketing. 
lf you want to discuss marketing let’s compare Apple to a regular PC. Apple products are far more expensive, but the sell is soft. 
w

Edited by woodriff

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2017 at 9:31 AM, Jagpilotohio said:

It is insulting. Bob wanting you to spend $3000+ on hollow pings filled with magic goo and studded in hideous dirt gathering screws is definitely insulting.

But apparently a lot of people like being insulted. He's selling lots of them. Kudos to him. He's obviously found a niche market nearly everyone else was ignoring.

they sell a lot of them because many people focus on performance, not nonsense hate like "hollow pings filled with magic goo and studded in hideous dirt gathering screws"

As for the commercials, show me a good golf commercial.  They are all stupid in their own unique manufacturer's ways. Phil running around telling people about tech, tailormade with their 100 paid pro's showing up on a single hole, titleist pretending they are the only quality golf ball on the market.  Come on....it's advertising, it's bound to be stupid.   Maybe they should get a marble and quietly run it around the iron head like Lexus used to do lol.

Edited by clinkinfo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAM01 said:

Love the hate, ordered a few to try at low prices - $99 for and iron, $289 for a driver - built and on the way in a week. 

Me too and every club got shipped back for a refund.  Very underwhelmed with PXG clubs. However, I do like a PXG putter that I picked up on ebay.

Edited by kuch

All Parsons and PXG are doing is this:

It's worked for a long time - especially if you have unlimited time, money, and cocaine. 

• Haha 3

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

10 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

They refunded me within 3 days of return delivery day. 

They have had my clubs for 4 days now and no refund yet. They told me over the phone 5-7 business days to issue the refund. The sales person was not nearly as happy to set up the return as they were to make the original sale. 

Keep in mind that they ship their woods in large boxes that trigger a size exception that will more than double the shipping cost if you send them back in the original box.

Edited by kuch

I think all the “‘it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian” references are tired and very misguided.  

I doubt that any archer marksmen, Indian or otherwise, would tell you the quality of the arrow isn’t a significant contributing factor to their overall ability to be accurate. 

Edited by clinkinfo

10 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

I think all the “‘it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian” references are tired and very misguided.  

I doubt that any archer marksmen, Indian or otherwise, would tell you the quality of the arrow isn’t a significant contributing factor to their overall ability to be accurate. 

Is that why most PXG staffers play worse with their clubs?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna