How do you choose your grips?

Solidstrike

... I have never used a glove so tackiness is my first requirement, then size and comfort. Started the game with a tapered grip so I don't like the newer thicker bottom half grips like the Lamkin TS1. Currently playing Lamkin UTx and am happy with their tack and feel.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm different. I have been using Lamkin crosslines for 20 plus years. Saw a guy at the range have them thought they looked cool and put them on and have been using them ever since. Although the last year or two they feel different. I get my grips redone every 6 months. Maybe it's time to find a new one.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

Of course not as popular as the old standard Crosslines, but I absolutely love the UTx with 3 extra wraps under bottom hand. See a ton of positive posts for these things, so can't believe they are scaling these back (less colors - my Red:(), and still hanging on to the REL Ace in multiple colors.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

There are so many grips to choose from these days. It used to be standard or jumbo, regular or cord, then Winn came along and mixed it up. Then along came various materials and now various taper options. It can be confusing to stare at a wall of so many options.

How do you choose your grips? Do you stick do a staple like the tour velvets? Are they all good enough and does it really matter?

I typically go with tour velvets but I'll consider other quality grips provided I can buy them at 3 bucks or less.

Handicap:  3

Golf Pride MCC since they first came out about 15 years ago. I like the black and white "Whiteout" version.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Multi compounds for me. They are rough and give me callouses, that's how I know they're doing their job!!! Might have gotten a knockoff set on this last go around because the texture seems way more pronounced, but much to my liking, or maybe it's all in my head. Seemed like too good of a deal on the bay, come to think of it.... either way, they feel fantastic.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I like the feel of leather having gamed leather wrap grips for the most part of the 90s. Once these were difficult to get I went to rubber grips but never found one I really loved (and I tried a lot of them). When I found GripmasterUSA (on a Cameron Circa 1) I contacted Harry Sewill and I went back to leather, albeit a prewrapped slip on grip. When GripmasterUSA changed to BestGrips I followed them. Upon a visit to the BestGrip facility I saw a grip that Zach had on his clubs, the new Microperf slip on. His was a green version that would become the Augusta Microperf. I was converted from leather wrap to the Microperf. I have been gaming Microperfs now for the past 5 or 6 years and don't plan on changing. These grips feel great (not too hard or too soft) and have a nice amount of tackiness to them. When my hands sweat or become moist due to weather these grips produce a better grip due to the ProTac. In other words, the clubs don't slip at all due to the grip. They are in the higher price point but are definitely worth it and they last.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I put some Iomic grips on wedges a while ago. Meanwhile, played MCC+4 on the rest of the bag. But I practice a lot and they were hard on my hands and I realized these Iomics were getting better over time and wearing well. They are cheaper, last longer, and feel better. And a little lighter. Works for me, so I put them on my irons. Still have the MCC on driver, fw.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Been a long term UTx user. Recently Lamkin, for some reason, offered me a free TS1 or Sonar grip to try. Coming from UTx I wanted a non sponge type grip.

Don't sleep on the TS1. Have it on my driver and will be adding to my FW's and irons as soon as a Lamkin sale comes up. Great feel/grip and its been more than little humid here in SC, no issues. Bit pricey but you should put your hands one if you get a chance.

If budget is not in question then, personally I go by the feel and the texture of the grip, Material is important because I want the grip to last at least 80 rounds of golf. Hate those which will start to disintegrate after taken out of the package .

If I'm shopping with a budget, then, whichever is on sale that does not have a bad review from the other users.

I buy bulk if the price is right, some years ago I bought a case of grips which has high percentage of rubber compound in the material. These will last at least 40,000 miles like the radial tires .

They last very well in storage.

I go by what feels comfortable to me. I have been using whatever the current variation is of the Lamkin Performance Plus since they became available. The 3Gen version is much better than the original issue. I will be testing the Lamkin Rose grip as it seems to be the closest successor to the PP.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

When I finally got fitted, 5 years maybe 6 now ago, they suggested Iomic....I don't need or wear a glove, and grips are still like new, so I'm an Iomic Sticky 2.3 guy

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

• 2 months later...

Another vote for Iomics. I have tried many other grips before- TV's, MCCs, MCC 4+, but keep coming back to the Iomic Stickies 2.3 as they are grippy but soft, and are easy to wipe down after a couple of rounds. They are a bit pricey, but I figure I only change grips every year or so.

Putter wise trying, I have always been a super stroke (flatso 1.0/pistol GTR tour) guy, but trying out Flat Cat solution(svelte size) to help square the face at impact.

Ping G430 Max 10° VA composites Nemesys | Ping G425 LST 15°| Ping G430 Max 7w 21°
Mizuno Pro 225/223 combo 4-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95 s
Vokey SM7 52ºF / Vokey SM9 58ºT 
TM Spider X copper/ BGT Stability Tour shaft 

I liked the GP MCC for a bit but found that they needed to be replaced fairly quickly as they'd become slippery on me.

For the past few years I've been using GP TV midsize but after buying a used club with a regular sized TV I thought I'd go back to them. Something about the regular size just felt different...but better.

Well, after removing that regular TV to put on a new one I discovered that there were 3 wraps under the right hand. No wonder it felt different! Duh.

I tried doing that and it felt good but recently tried some clubs with the Lamkin Sonar and the GP MCC plus 4. Both felt really good and I've decided to go with the Lamkin Sonar. No need to build up the lower hand anymore! The Lamkin Sonar feel really soft imo....very comfortable.

For me it started with size. Having big hands and long fingers meant I ended up going midsize.

Then texture preference. Over time I learned that I prefer something with a variety of patterns under the hand, I feel like it reminds me where everything is. One consistent pattern across the whole grip and I began to feel like my hands could subtly shift position without me realizing as easily.

I have tried a lot of grips and I still want to try more, but I keep coming back to NDMC Midsizes. I want to try Iomic Stickies and perhaps some leather grips though.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

For me it is all about the perfect fit. I have big hands so midsize to start. Then I tried to find the perfect combination of feel, durability, and price and ended up with Lamkin 3Gens.

However, they are discontinuing them so I'm searching again. Might just go with boring old Crosslines.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

I look for a grip that has a semi soft feel and holds up to moisture.

I love the UTx from Lamkin.

I like the feel of Golf Pride G2 wraps and Pure tour wrap, but both a slippery with just a little sweat.

The UTx likes a moisture, and seems to get tackier if I wipe it with a damp towel and pat dry.

I hope the never quit making them.

I also found I like the MCC+4 on my driver only, no other club. Kinda weird, as I'm not sure why.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I'm pretty easy to please. I can use any grip as long as it is leather and the proper size and taper. I have both Gripmaster and Best Grips on my clubs.

I'm curious as to what everyone spends each year on grips for their playing set?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I'm pretty easy to please. I can use any grip as long as it is leather and the proper size and taper.

Given the second sentence limits your grips choice to about 1% of available grips I would say the first is not actually true ;)

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Whatever is cheapest. When the local Dicks was liquidating the Golf Pride Victory remakes for 79¢ a pop that became my grip. Then I found old Adam’s grips for $1.50 and got those. My personal belief, and perhaps my golf suffers for it, is that so long as the club doesn’t fly out of my hands, really any grip will do. (Except tour wraps feel weird and sizing beyond standard does as well)

So at the end of the day, price is my primary consideration, I have a few favorites abd some things I don’t like.

There are so many grips to choose from these days. It used to be standard or jumbo, regular or cord, then Winn came along and mixed it up. Then along came various materials and now various taper options. It can be confusing to stare at a wall of so many options.

How do you choose your grips? Do you stick do a staple like the tour velvets? Are they all good enough and does it really matter?

For as long as I can remember, I always used GP Tour Velvet grips. Whenever I buy clubs, I always replace the grips with Tour Velvet grips and for a putter, a Ping Man grip. I feel bad ripping out new and more expensive grips. Luckily, the Tour Velvets are the least expensive grips.

I started with whatever's on sale, but found that I prefer a grip with a good bit of taper. Goodyear made an MCC-type grip a few years back that I've been saving for only my most special clubs. When Premio gave out their samples, I tried them and loved them. I have probably 2 or 3 sets of those that I use on my woods since there are no overtly visible alignment aids, so they can rotate around when playing with settings. Also use them on wedges because of their really soft feel. I only tried Iomics when I found some X-Evolutions at a really good price. Love those as well! The New Decade MCCs are nice, but I only use them when they come on the club I bought -- just cost too much to buy. So price for me, then, if I like them, I'll keep buying as long as I can get them for a good price. Also bought 50 Black Widow grips from GolfWorks when they were clearing them out for $0.59/grip -- I offer them up to friends that need regrips. Great grip for a great price!

10.5* TI Cally Rogue ST TD S GD AD DI-6(x)
15* TI Cally Epic Speed GD AD IZ-7(x)

18* TI Cally Rogue ST  Matrix Code-7 (s) or 8M2 (x)

24* Cally 2014 Apex UT Matrix Altus (s)
5-PW Cally Apex Pro 19 Double Dot Raw Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)

50* Cleveland RTX Black Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)
54*/10 Cleveland RTX Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
58*/9 Cleveland RTX Full Face Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
34" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 * 35" Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

35"Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH * 35" Odyssey Works 7 CH (Schauffele treatment by Continental Golf)

Feel, looks, and price. Right now it's Lamkin Black Crossline Standard. Very similar to Tour Velvet, but cheaper. The also appear to be wear resistant. i've had the current set of grips on my clubs about 6 months and, even hitting balls at the range 2-3 times pe week, they still look brand new. No signs of wear even on clubs i hit most frequently at the rnge- 7I, 8I, driver. I regrip my clubs my self, and can't see paying $8-$10 per grip when i can get these for $4.