Is 120-140 too high a score to be on a public course?

My wife shoots around that most of the time. But she moves along quickly, hits when it's her turn, doesn't take 5000 practice swings, etc. As Stuart said, it's more about the pace of play than the score. If anything, she'd be even faster if she didn't sometimes run into trouble getting out of bunkers. That eats up a bit of time, but the only way to improve it is to get out and play more.

I know good golfers who are slow as molasses, and vice versa.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

My youngest daughter's score approaching 120 the day we played The New Course last summer. We were a foursome, my wife probably shot a little over 100 that day, the other two of us below 90. We walked (had caddies), played in no more than 4 hours and never had anyone behind us waiting at any point. Just be efficient and know how to keep pace.

• Like 1

Its high in as far you'd likely annoy the group behind you (if they are better players), but who cares. Let them pass thru if they are, play "ready golf", play from the right tees for you, and continue to enjoy your game as best you can.

Some courses are hard for some people. Even public ones (Bethpage Black is public). Harder courses usually mean higher scores.

I'd say: Don't worry about it.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

> @"Lookout!" said:

> Hi everyone,

> I would like to go on a public golf course but if my score is roughly 120-140, is that too high a score for the course? What's an typical score for a weekend public golf course (that you have seen)?

> Thanks in advance.

As long as there isn't anybody behind you and you know how to keep pace, I see no issue.

The problem becomes when a) you have a faster group behind you of better players and/or b) the group you are with are a group of better players and you slow them down. It's best to learn to play fast in that case... I.e. if maybe you struggle off the tee, don't go taking breakfast balls or whatever you want to call them, don't search for obviously lost balls for too long, don't have a 60 second pre-shot routine, etc.

I normally like to play fast and I usually shoot mid 80s. I've recently played with a group of 2 people who Im guessing both struggled to break 120. I didn't really care that the guy only hit his driver 180 or so, but it did get a little frustrating when he took like 3-4 warm up swings before his inevitable 180 yard push slice. Luckily they otherwise played at a good pace and our round took about 4 hours. Little longer than I liked but I still had a good time. If you're not a jerk and you understand your (current) limitations, I'm guessing like 95% of people won't care what you shoot.

get some lessons and hit up executive courses -- hone the simple things before you take on a full regulation course.

• Like 2

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

You can also try playing just 9 holes on a regulation course. Fatigue is a part of playing golf and can cause your swing and attention to things to deteriorate quickly. Limiting yourself to 9 can mitigate that issue.

Take it from someone whose reaction to the Subject line was "that low, eh?": As someone else suggested, try Executive courses that have holes that are on the shorter side. The difference between playing that course and most public regulation courses is the ability to hit a hybrid/wood/long iron off the deck. Add one or two to the GIR for each hole and use that strategy.

But, again, on the golf course showing consideration for others is your best friend.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

I would not say 120-140 is too high, as long as you know how to play ready golf. I would, however, suggest playing executive/shorter courses until you have better control over your ball.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Got paired up with a really good stick - like really good. Shot like a 68 or something. After 5.5hrs of painstaking golf (like Furyk on the greens and DeShampoo everywhere else), I was ready to kick his Word not allowed. Dont be slow. Nobody cares what you shoot. Play ready golf. You will be fine.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

If you play it down, then yes....... Sorry it is real simple, keep moving forward & don't take it seriously.

Too many people shoot 80 and can take 5 hours to play a round. Take 140 shots for all I care, just move it along. Duff one and start a pre-shot routine again or dawdle over the 2'er and you'll drive me crazy.

I agree with everyone else that pace of play is the main issue. Figure out your club selection and shot choice while others are hitting, so you can be ready to hit your ball when it's your turn. If you've duffed the ball a bunch of times and you see the group behind you waiting, pick you ball up and drop it near the green.

Another thing to consider is playing at less busy times. When my kids were young, we'd go late in the day and often on week days. Weekend mornings are the busiest times on the course, so you're more like to irritate others on the course. Any slow play gums up the works on a fully packed course.

I'll be a contrarian here just for the sake of it.

Scores above 120 mean a golfer is _averaging worse than triple bogey_. In reality that means multiple 10's and a ton of lost balls. It means veering off into the rough/woods on _every hole_ with lots of trips back to the cart only to drive forward 50 yards. Maybe this is too harsh, but if a golfer can't sniff 100, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to count strokes. I definitely don't see the point of counting beyond 120.

For the sake of keeping it fun and being practical:

(1) Play from the most forward tees possible

(2a) Take drops in the fairway where the lie is good (not in the rough!)

(2b) Consider dropping alongside the drives of your playing partners (don't make them wait on you!)

(3) Don't chip (just putt it!)

(4) Pick up your ball after 2 putts (consider your 3rd putt to be conceded)

For the sake of pace of play:

(1) Play 9 holes

(2) Consider it lost if you can't find it in 20 seconds

(3) Count & record scores in between holes (not on the green!)

(4) If you must leave the cart bring 2 clubs (1 short & 1 long)

For the sake of etiquette:

(1) Don't talk (or walk around) while others are swinging/putting

(2) Be careful to avoid walking near your partners' putting lines

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I tend to agree with the advice that, if you're shooting in the 130's, you might be better off not bothering with a "score", per se. I'd recommend the following approach, which I've seen used by a friend of mine:

(1) Hit your tee shot from the tee box on every hole.

(2) If your tee shot is not a great one (and I mean a GREAT shot), pick up your ball and drop it next to the 150 yard marker. Play in to the green from there.

That should be fine for pace of play issues. If you run into any serious issues from there, just pick up your ball and put it on the green.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

When a buddy of mine wanted to learn to play I told him, 1. no one cares what you shoot, so don't worry about it and don't throw a tantrum, you aren't good enough. 2. Just keep up with the group, if you need to pick it up do so, but just play ready golf and don't screw around.

He normally shot in the 120's, but often played faster than people shooting in the 80's.

I see more people slowing groups around by using bad cart etiquette, spending more than the allotted time searching for balls than anything. You get 3 minutes, don't take forever, you will lose balls if you aren't good, keep an extra in your pocket. As far as taking an extra shot or two a hole, it only takes a few seconds to hit a shot, you aren't a tour pro trying to win the Masters on every shot, so don't pretend to be.

So no, it's not an issue as long as you observe proper etiquette, and play ready golf.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

As long as you are fast and not deliberating over every shot, not a big deal. Pace of play is everything, the issue that plagues most recreational golfers (regardless of score) is they have no idea how to keep pace.

1) Play ready golf. Start preparing your shot/club if you are waiting for others to hit, if you are ready, just hit it.

2) Always keep an extra ball (or two) in your pocket

3) Always bring extra clubs

4) Bring your putter if you are inside 50 yards with a wedge

5) Know your real distances so you know when to wait and when not to

6) Park your cart/push cart at the back of the green/closest to the next tee box as possible, survey your putt/line walking back to the hole

7) Pick up after double par/ESC max

8) Get up and hit the ball, practice swings aren't going to help you

After all that, get a few lessons. Golf is far more enjoyable when you can reasonably hit the ball and keep it in play.

as stated, its not the score that can be a problem but pace of place. Think about how long it would take you to make 140 swings (maybe 80 full swings and 60 with a putter), not that long if you stood in one place and made all 140 motions. Rounds take long bc people aren't ready when its there turn, take too long for their routine, and spend too long looking for balls.

> @Stuart_G said:

> It's a bit high but it's not really the score that matters - It's how long it takes to get through a round that matters - and understanding how to care for the course and interact with other players on the course - those are the important factors IMO.

Exactly. If you walk up to the ball and hit it, then that's all that matters. That said, if you are being paired with scratch golfers, I'm sure they'll be a little annoyed but, hey, it's a public course and you paid just like they did. That said, once we're talking about having a score of 8 or thereabouts and not near the green, probably time to pick up.

Also, when you say public course that could mean a lot of things. Any local muni is going to have guys scoring 120+ pretty consistently.

I'd recommend minimal practice swings, no mulligans, minimal searching for balls (assuming you are losing lots of balls), 1 chip max, 1 sand shot max, 2 putt max.

Just remember if it takes you 10 shots on a hole those 10 shots should take the same amount of time as the guys in your group taking 4. (Ready golf and don't waste time)

no reason you shouldn't get out and play the course no matter your ability....but in my opinion you shouldn't be keeping score and playing tee to hole. hit your tee shot, and if awful pick up and move to closer to your playing partner. basically, don't hack away when you're in trouble. at this level its about learning to hit better shots, etiquette, and pace of play.

limit your practice swings to 1 max. forget your score, have fun, and be willing to pick up and move the ball forward without actually hitting it to keep up with pace of play. use cheaper balls and limit looking for lost balls to 1-2 minutes.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Seriously ?

Can the person shoots 120-140 really enjoy the game on the golf course ?

They should start from the par 3 and executive golf course and progress to the regular length 18.

Even if these "golfers" insist that they could enjoy scoring 120-140 , do they realiz that thy might have spoiled many others day on the golf course ?

I'd played at some golf courses which won;t allow "golfers" on the golf course unless they can proof they have the ability to advance the golf golf ball reasonably. By providing either a handicap index or a few minutes on the driving range with the staff to witness.

It's fine. Gotta start somewhere and it's way more fun than the range.

1. Know when to just pick up. Max of 3 over par per hole.

2. Use cheap balls you don't have to search for, so you can just drop one on the edge of the fairway where the errant shot disappeared. Buy used balls on the internet in bulk. Money spent on $ balls in first year is a waste even for the well off.

3. Don't grind over it for now. Work on making a good turn, shifting weight, and just having fun.