How could anyone be a fan of Patrick Reed?

JermWRX

You’ll all be rooting for him during the Ryder cup; Captain America, don’t act like you won’t.  (Unless you’re not American of coarse).  

• Like 3

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

18 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

The problem I have with all of this is that the TV network and TGC controlled the narrative and are the ones who spun it out of control .  The Twitter storm that night, the coverage on TGC, the opening dialogue when they came on air and the continuous narrative throughout the telecast.  Finally the post game interview it was the question they most wanted to ask Reed after he won and everyone else in the field.   

Granted, they did show the entire scenario, they did show Rory's scenario, but then they just piled on Reed and gave Rory a 100% pass because Reed is their bogey man.  The entire thing was completely disgraceful.  I lost complete respect for these idiots.  Faldo, Chamblee, Nantz, Dottie.   Gannon didn't seem to pile on as much, but I may have dozed off and missed it.  It was a blatant smear campaign from my perspective.  

Don't look now but Golf.com is praising CBS sports for it's Reed coverage

https://golf.com/news/patrick-reed-controversy-cbs-broadcast-tone/

In other news, Nantz contract is coming up for negotiation and reportedly for millions more... Tony Romo type money!

https://larrybrownsports.com/media/cbs-preparing-for-jim-nantz-to-potentially-leave/572957

Maybe if they had fewer and less costly talking heads that incessantly babble we could have fewer commercials and more golf!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Well Brandel was one of the big instigators, and he works for TGC last time I checked.  His twitter feed didn't help things much, or in their opinion, they probably helped things quite a bit.  

No body ever watched Brandel play- so who knows what he did ?

Maybe the Shadow do ...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shawn Paul said:

You’ll all be rooting for him during the Ryder cup; Captain America, don’t act like you won’t.  (Unless you’re not American of coarse).  

There is no way I will root for him in the Ryder Cup.  Its an exhibition, not a war.  

• Like 4

Interesting to listen to the Max Homa/Shane Bacon podcast yesterday. They were not face to face as Bacon was in Ct. and Homa was in Phoenix, so that may have led to the discussion going the way it did. In essence, Homa was completely clear that he watched the Reed video and saw nothing he did that was wrong or different from what everyone else on Tour does/would do in that situation, and made the point that it was typical social media mob behavior that led to the uproar. He did not see the CBS hatchet job of course since he was on the course. Bacon began by starting out (perhaps hopefully) with a tone like he expected his buddy Max to be all over Reed, and had to backpedal furiously when that did not occur. Listen to it for as long as you can stand:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-53-at-homa-this-week/id1492360046?i=1000507464260

• Like 3

We're just seeing exhibit number whatever it is why folks like Tiger never really liked the media aside from a few certain people.  I think he saw all this coming years before anyone else did to the extent it's gotten to now.  Brandel's even came out and said "Not my job to be their friend", except he keeps forgetting the fact that it is his job to report things accurately and not 'leave things out' when they don't suite the narrative you are building.  Popularity and money has long sense passed the need to report the story for what it is and not spinning it into something else that suites you.  And yet, somehow 'integrity' gets brought into the story by the very same people that are guilty of it.

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

8 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I think if Brandel can assault players’ characters publicly and with no real opportunity for rebuttal he can handle being criticized on here. He was over the top on Saturday, made up another rules violation, and pretty much bulldozed Lerner. He’s done the same several times regarding Tiger whether rules or his famous he’ll never win again because of his “broken mind”, lol. He literally “made his bones” at GC starting in 2009 by being the loudest and harshest critic of Tiger in the golf world and accused Tiger of cheating more than once. And had to walk it back with a pretty public apology after going too far. 

I listened to GC at lunch today - it was all about no rules being violated and yep, walking back the little feeding frenzy from the weekend. Too little, too late but a very decided difference. 

GC hyped this for everything it could get out of it and only the Rory situation coming up led to some of those who had gone too far having to actually think about it.  

But, just like with Reed, I’d probably enjoy 18 holes with Brandel. 

+100

Rory has a very big sponsor and GC does not want any problems with that sponsor.  So if they say bad things about Reed and the rules then they need to talk about Rory too. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OgeecheeMac1 said:

Golf.com praising CBS coverage of The Farmers because they went 11 minutes without showing any golf. Praised them for “exposing Reed’s rules violation”. I wish he’d file a slander suit against them all.

Pathetic.   CBS and the media have no credibility and they spend more time showing ads and Jim Nantz stupid mug with his receding hairline then showing any golf.   At least Faldo played the game and he has aged a lot better than frat boy Nantz..   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Don't look now but Golf.com is praising CBS sports for it's Reed coverage

https://golf.com/news/patrick-reed-controversy-cbs-broadcast-tone/

In other news, Nantz contract is coming up for negotiation and reportedly for millions more... Tony Romo type money!

https://larrybrownsports.com/media/cbs-preparing-for-jim-nantz-to-potentially-leave/572957

Maybe if they had fewer and less costly talking heads that incessantly babble we could have fewer commercials and more golf!

They would be pretty stupid to pay Nantz big money.  Get Romo in the booth with Faldo or even bring Johnny Miller back.   Yeah Nantz is supposedly a color man but Johnny was a million times better than Nantz and Faldo.  I loved how Miller would say oh he is hitting a something cut and the avg Joe watching was like WTF?   CBS shows more commercials and BS than they show golf.   The Nantz fawning at Augusta is particularly sickening.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here is what Ben Alberstadt said about American Golfers on Sep 25th 2017 on Golfwrx quoting verbatim Arnold Palmer.

“For many, many years’ golfers have been establishing handicaps based upon scores achieved in recreational rounds of golf where the Rules of Golf have not been strictly followed.”

This was in support for legalising Callaway's ERC springface driver for use by amateurs 'who cheat, anyway'.

This being the case I cannot see for the life of me what you are all getting upset about. This is what you do to get your handicaps. This is waht Arnold himself said. No-one disputed this at the time and all the Americans I've met say, 'yeah, that's what we do'.

If your way of life or ingrained culture is to 'bend the Rules' casually on the golfcourse for handicap scores, like it doesn't matter why are you pillorying this guy for doing no worse?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FakeClubPro said:

They would be pretty stupid to pay Nantz big money.  Get Romo in the booth with Faldo or even bring Johnny Miller back.   Yeah Nantz is supposedly a color man but Johnny was a million times better than Nantz and Faldo.  I loved how Miller would say oh he is hitting a something cut and the avg Joe watching was like WTF?   CBS shows more commercials and BS than they show golf.   The Nantz fawning at Augusta is particularly sickening.

You are about as accurate here as many of the supposed rules experts on here. Nantz is not a "color man" and never has been. He is a host, an anchor in the main booth, not an analyst. That is Faldo's job. Comparing him to Miller is simply "pretty stupid", to use your phrase. And getting Romo to replace him? I have found myself hoping that CBS would replace Romo on NFL telecasts more and more this season, as he increasingly acts like a high-school fan with his "golly gee-whiz!" comments in overheated, excited tones. He actually seems to have regressed from his first year or two in the role now that he is feeling more comfortable and has his big contract. He could really use some coaching.

The worst thing I can say about Nantz is that his reaction to this past weekend's rules brouhaha was very much out of character for him and damaged my opinion of him. It was really the first time I have seen him make such a misstep. Part of that careful approach he usually takes explains what you see at Augusta,, where the ANGC demands it of their broadcast partners. You don't see the usual smartass SVP display that part of his persona there either, do you? And have you ever heard about Gary McCord and Jack Whitaker being told not to bother coming back next year? It has nothing to do with the broadcaster and everything to do with how ANGC wants the telecast to be done. It would be no different regardless of the network or the people calling it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FakeClubPro said:

When I hear people whining about commercials and CBS plays too many, I quit listening because they removed all credibility about their narrative.

2 hours ago, FakeClubPro said:

+100

Rory has a very big sponsor and GC does not want any problems with that sponsor.  So if they say bad things about Reed and the rules then they need to talk about Rory too. 

I agree, except I don't think either violated anything, and you may be saying that as well, and certainly ok to have a different opinion!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

You are about as accurate here as many of the supposed rules experts on here. Nantz is not a "color man" and never has been. He is a host, an anchor in the main booth, not an analyst. That is Faldo's job. Comparing him to Miller is simply "pretty stupid", to use your phrase. And getting Romo to replace him? I have found myself hoping that CBS would replace Romo on NFL telecasts more and more this season, as he increasingly acts like a high-school fan with his "golly gee-whiz!" comments in overheated, excited tones. He actually seems to have regressed from his first year or two in the role now that he is feeling more comfortable and has his big contract. He could really use some coaching.

The worst thing I can say about Nantz is that his reaction to this past weekend's rules brouhaha was very much out of character for him and damaged my opinion of him. It was really the first time I have seen him make such a misstep. Part of that careful approach he usually takes explains what you see at Augusta,, where the ANGC demands it of their broadcast partners. You don't see the usual smartass SVP display that part of his persona there either, do you? And have you ever heard about Gary McCord and Jack Whitaker being told not to bother coming back next year? It has nothing to do with the broadcaster and everything to do with how ANGC wants the telecast to be done. It would be no different regardless of the network or the people calling it.

I haven't made the same observation about Romo but I'll be honest unless it's the Bills or I have money on it or Superbowl I don't watch football, so I'm not the best observer of the broadcast crew.  🙂 

Anyway yeah so I like your assessment of Nantz--- He's very polished and some don't like that--- polish is why he's liked by AGNC.  With that said I was looking around on YouTube and I could only find a Sunday video of  Nantz talking to the new cbs rules official and saw nothing bad from Nantz.  I've seen a lot of critical commentary here about Nantz bashing Reed but didn't see any of that on YouTube.  Was it Saturday?

Also found a video of Amanda and Todd Lewis interview Reed and I didn't see anything untoward from either.  Good clean interviews giving Reed a chance to explain the scenario which is pretty normal.

Anyway would appreciate links if anyone has video of CBS bashing Reed.

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

Nantz and CBS literally walked on eggshells during the Tiger situation on 15 in '13 and got criticized for that by some, IMO quite a contrast to this situation and for sure, lots of reasons explaining that.  Golf Channel seems to always pour gasoline on any fire they can and spend days on the same issues on MD (in the past) and Golf Central.  Yawn, they aren't real journalists on the ground in a war zone, or a political convention, but have to get everybody's take, lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shawn Paul said:

How'd that work out?  😉

I watched every bit of it they broadcast!  Some guys are match play killers and some guys are match play victims. Still can't fathom why Tiger overall is such a match play dead fish (not trying to start the usual analysis or excuses, just a fact).  Rory absolutely took the wrong approach early, but hard to criticize since I'm sure he was trying to send a message through the crowd.  It was fun to watch.

• Like 1