Meaningless Club Feature That Annoys You

Bad9

4 hours ago, aenemated said:

Any sort of alignment guides on grips be it a brand logo - looking at you, GolfPride - or overdone patterns. I just don't even get why they're necessary - I'm opening/closing the clubface at setup just as often if not more often than squaring it so they're actually detrimental as it just messes with my OCDness. 

This is my only issue with JMX Ultralites (their wraps are just WAY too heavy) but I'm tolerating it for now. 

This is what I came to say. Most visual club stuff I can either get used to or learn to ignore e.g. graphics/colorways as long as they don't mess with visual alignment TOO much, but overly busy grips with fancy color schemes and alignment sensitive graphics just drive me absolutely nuts. Everything about the Tour Velvet Align on paper is something I would put in the bag straight away, but the obnoxious red accents combined with the "Golf Pride" logo emblazoned on the top basically ensures that I will never use them. I like reminder ribs slightly off centered and doing this with a TV Align puts the "Golf Pride" logo in a closed position at address and I can not stand that. PLEASE just give me a TV Align 360 with subtle or zero colorway shenanigans and NO logo on the top. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Anything thinner, lighter, or that repositions  the weight low and to the the rear for ultimate whatever...

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

7 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Having to stamp "forged" of part of it is forged. Or "tungsten" if there is tungsten. Or "laser beams" if their are laser beams... 

A great example is callaways new apex pro 21 that says tungsten on it... if they had not had to put that i feel it would have looked much cleaner and less cheaper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacobanderson123 said:

Don't really understand your issue. Even if you're using standard always then at the very least you have the option to change loft and shafts with ease, and even if you don't ever use it I don't see the downside.

If I prefer not having an extra apparatus on my shafts and on the club that's the way it is, lol.  I'll decide what I'm annoyed about!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Haha 3

I really hate how '21 is stamped on the hosel of the most recent X-Forged Irons.  Looks completely out of place.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

11 hours ago, Valtiel said:

This is what I came to say. Most visual club stuff I can either get used to or learn to ignore e.g. graphics/colorways as long as they don't mess with visual alignment TOO much, but overly busy grips with fancy color schemes and alignment sensitive graphics just drive me absolutely nuts. Everything about the Tour Velvet Align on paper is something I would put in the bag straight away, but the obnoxious red accents combined with the "Golf Pride" logo emblazoned on the top basically ensures that I will never use them. I like reminder ribs slightly off centered and doing this with a TV Align puts the "Golf Pride" logo in a closed position at address and I can not stand that. PLEASE just give me a TV Align 360 with subtle or zero colorway shenanigans and NO logo on the top. 

Yeah I gave the align grips a try as well, then forgot how much I hate seeing the logo up on the grip. 

Offset and/or closed face. 

Why the hell does every club wedge to driver sit closed or have visible offset unless I crank the loft down via an adjustable hosel.

I get that most golfers slice the ball but visible offset on wedges and blades? Really? Closed face with an LST driver on standard setting? Really?

IMO the biggest equipment benefit that tour players have is the ability to cherry pick woods that sit square/open at a specific loft AND get iron sets made with zero offset. 

Drives me absolutely nuts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EddieEdwards said:

Agree with most of these.  I'll add tight fitting rainhood that comes stock with every bag.  If you have 10 mins to put it on standing in the rain, and plan on packing it in for the day and not pulling another club, it's fine.  Otherwise, its rubbish.

Yeah, this is the only thing I could think of. Have yet to find a rain hood that doesn't fit like an XXXL condom. 

• Haha 3

I'm not one for overdone adornment of club heads visible at address.   Interestingly turbulators don't bother me, but the dragonfly stuff does... although Ping hides it now, initially they felt the need to expose it.

And any club with brown, orange, green, or purple on the head is disqualified from my bag.  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 12:56 PM, golfday said:

This and the headcovers that only cover the head. With graphite shafts I want my wood and hybrid covers to protect the shaft some too to keep it from getting nicked.

That is exactly why every time I get a new wood, I go online and purchase a generic headcover with the sock looking graphite protector.

21 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I end up "standard" on all my adjustable drivers/fairways/hybrids ---- would LOVE an option for a head you just have a shaft glued into.  I really miss that.

Just play old clubs.  Other than incremental forgiveness advantages in drivers you're not giving up a thing going back probably 10 years

• Like 3

On 2/16/2021 at 11:26 AM, irvnasty said:

One of my favorite drivers of all time, the Cobra King LTD series, had this hairbrained manhole cover on the bottom that you could unscrew. It was however very useful for removing the debris that had gotten in there only due to its existence in the first place.

Does anyone remember if they sold different weights or something? I think the point was that it somehow helped them get the center of gravity lower. It was truly stupid, and of course I lost the tool for it immediately, so once it started to get loose I had to scour Ebay for a replacement.

One minor feature that I do quite enjoy is when irons or wedges have a different color paint-fill on the bottom groove. No idea if it helps me in any way, but I like it.

this post made me realize that i really like the different colored bottom groove too. I never consciously knew it, but i love it for some reason.

• Like 1

Shafts with tons of high- contrast branding that look weird if you play them at any setting other than the stock one.  I usually end up up pulling tips and re-gluing them so I don't have to see half of a brand name. 

I fully understand that shaft companies like to be able to have their product easily ID'ed on tv, but it's annoying on my clubs lol

How about PXG comes out with 9 screws then 7 now 4 screws and one large one, can't they make up they mind as they are so desperate to keep up that they are becoming expensive knock off. They serve very little difference if any

• Haha 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I miss buying a driver at the loft I want that I can sole to the ground with a square face.

I hate adjustable loft woods. This was just a way for OEMs to cut manufacturing costs and really doesn't benefit me. If I want a 10* driver I either have to buy one with less loft and set it to a closed setting where it looks terrible at address / I can't sole it and have to guess where square is while holding it in the air OR I can buy one with more loft and do the opposite of this.

5 minutes ago, golfday said:

I miss buying a driver at the loft I want that I can sole to the ground with a square face.

I hate adjustable loft woods. This was just a way for OEMs to cut manufacturing costs and really doesn't benefit me. If I want a 10* driver I either have to buy one with less loft and set it to a closed setting where it looks terrible at address / I can't sole it and have to guess where square is while holding it in the air OR I can buy one with more loft and do the opposite of this.

Go JDM, it's not cheap but there's a lot of choices. 

• Like 1

Tungsten in irons do indeed help move the CG and get the ball into the air more easily.  But I can't stand "faux" tungsten on irons that are purely there for cosmetics.  What I mean is, I don't like it when on the iron head itself, there may be an area that's sandblasted or PVD'd to make the consumer think that's where the Tungsten is at.  

titleist-718-tmb.jpg

king-mim-tour-irn-3-min.jpg

15 hours ago, biffstix said:

Any sort of plastic on a club.

Idiot underscore markings on the 6 or 9 iron.

Every modern headcover that doesn’t protect the shaft.

Overbranding.

Wingtips on EVERY damn pair of foot joys, get with the times fj.

lol...I can only seem to tell when I've grabbed the wrong one when I address the ball.

The Cobra RadSpeed irons are solid.  But it feels like they are putting carbon fiber on the topline simply to get some more visible tech onto it and to say there's carbon fiber there.  If they really wanted to save maximum weight, they can leave that notch where the carbon fiber goes empty.  Because you know what weighs even less than carbon fiber?...........air.........

21SS_Social_IG_GO_Clubs_RadSpeed_Built_For_Speed_Carousel3_1080x1350-819x1024.jpg.fc78b47915c12158d58525806ebcf870.jpg

• Haha 2