Any of you still hanging onto an older driver because you hit it straight?

Jhc09

On 2/24/2021 at 6:06 AM, Jhc09 said:

I bought my first and only driver when I started playing in 2011.  A 2011 Taylormade Burner.  I upgraded the shaft with a Adila NV in 2012 and have been hitting it 260-280 with a baby draw pretty consistently straight ever since.  

I'm having the hardest time dropping the cash on a new driver when I hit my old one fairly well.  Someone talk me into upgrading!

I wouldn’t risk changing what already works. Why fix something that’s not broken? Spend that money on ur wife so she’ll let u golf more often 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I tend to stick with a driver religiously when I like it and am never really tempted by the "latest and greatest". Unfortunately, I've had bad luck with them breaking. Had an i20 which was nice-face cracked. Loved the LTD pro-cracked 3 spaceports. Loved the 2017M1 and the face cracked. Now playing an M5 and hoping it stays in one piece! If it does, I plan to hold on to it for many years. 

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

On 2/26/2021 at 6:06 PM, pup142 said:

You probably still have your same car from 10 years ago too. There is no comparison of the technology.Yes it is a true statement. Better golf heads, golf shafts.and the golf balls of today make a big.difference for the average golfer.

I am, and always have been, an average golfer and disagree with your statement. The rules governing the tech of all those you mention have been set since 2005 at least. There have been tweaks, adjustability and better fitting systems but I have not seen any radical improvements in my distances or scores or those of the guys I play with. In fact we all hit the same distance more or less and shoot the same scores.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 2/24/2021 at 9:06 AM, Jhc09 said:

I bought my first and only driver when I started playing in 2011.  A 2011 Taylormade Burner.  I upgraded the shaft with a Adila NV in 2012 and have been hitting it 260-280 with a baby draw pretty consistently straight ever since.  

I'm having the hardest time dropping the cash on a new driver when I hit my old one fairly well.  Someone talk me into upgrading!

Nope not from me if you are hitting it that good

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 2/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Last I looked average amateur distance had topped out 15 years ago.  Makes no sense to me  to say current models give better performance on mishits since people obviously mishit the ball in 2005 pretty much like they do now.  Seems like it all goes into the distance average.

Irons have adapted to give some semblance of a good result to people who scoop the ball up.  Maybe drivers have adapted in the same way, that is, are designed for scoopy swings.  That would possibly explain why some people report better results, just like they do with new irons.

So us older guys aren't losing distance. I think that's important.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:06 PM, pup142 said:

You probably still have your same car from 10 years ago too. There is no comparison of the technology.Yes it is a true statement. Better golf heads, golf shafts.and the golf balls of today make a big.difference for the average golfer.

No matter how many ridiculous analogies you make and how many times you say it, it's still not true.

There is no governing body on car technology.

Saying "there is no comparison" to today's drivers and those from 5 years ago, is laughable.

Shiny and new is nice..nothing wrong with wanting the latest and greatest. But there hasn't been some break through technology tlin that time that is going to make much difference in performance.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:49 AM, jar59 said:

Well, you drive the ball as well as a lot of scratch players per your comment, but you have a 9.5 handicap.  I would suggest you take the cash that would cover a new driver and get some help with all the shots that need to hit when the ball is laying on the ground.  Maybe start with iron play, then fairway woods and hybrids, followed by pitching, chipping, sand play and putting.  

Your swing must be pretty good but things like ball position, non-flat lies could probably improve.

Hitting the long club from a flat lie with the ball off the ground is not a problem.

Ugh.  You really drove that realist nail deep into my heart.  You sound a lot like my wife, she'll cut through the bs and speak the truth often.  

But you're absolutely correct.  I don't have issues off the tee box with a driver.  Now long par 3's, and approach shots greater than 175...look out.  Maybe it's time to upgrade the irons instead?!?!?!? 😂

• Like 1

I still have my G400 MAX, truthfully i feel that i hit my Mav Max straighter, i've just used my G400 in so many competitive rounds i won't get rid of it because there's a confidence there. 

Actually my CC last year was the first time in 2+ years i didn't use it

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Stand by my statement. Technology for Golf Clubs and Golf Balls over the last 5 years has been a bonus for Golfers of every level. Playing my best golf that I have ever played and I am not a young guy. I still have my old golf  clubs and once in awhile I take them to the range to compare my newer clubs and there is no comparison. For me it is a game changer. Never thought at my age I would shoot mid70’s. The guy that started this forum who hits 260 with a baby draw is not your normal golfer. He should keep the club he has. I am not arguing with anyone on this forum but for me the new technology and the people I play with has really helped us.

Edited by pup142

Still have my G20.

G400 was ok but shorter. Cobra F7+ kept up with it but was less forgiving. Demoed drivers in the summer and nothing beat it out side-by-side on the monitor. 

Bottom line is get the right shaft/head combo from last 10 years and you’ll find negligible difference at most. 

I got lucky as I had an uncut x-stiff blueboard which went in the G20 when the other half put the roof down on the car despite being told not to. The mechanism chewed up the shafts of my driver and fairways that were loose in the trunk as that car was stupid small. The G20 driver turned into a weapon and the G15 fairways never felt right again. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pup142 said:

Stand by my statement. Technology for Golf Clubs and Golf Balls over the last 5 years has been a bonus for Golfers of every level. Playing my best golf that I have ever played and I am not a young guy. I still have my old golf  clubs and once in awhile I take them to the range to compare my newer clubs and there is no comparison. For me it is a game changer. Never thought at my age I would shoot mid70’s. The guy that started this forum who hits 260 with a baby draw is not your normal golfer. He should keep the club he has. I am not arguing with anyone on this forum but for me the new technology and the people I play with has really helped us.

This thread is about drivers.

Not one person spoke about ball technology, shaft technology, automobile technology...

The question at hand, is about switching out from a driver that's a few years old to something new and whether DRIVER technology has changed much, if at all in the last few years.  The answer is no.

Ask any well respected fitter, not some yahoo at your local chain golf shop trying to sell you something, if driver technology pretty much is maxed out years ago. 

6 hours ago, DaveMc82 said:

Still have my G20.

G400 was ok but shorter. Cobra F7+ kept up with it but was less forgiving. Demoed drivers in the summer and nothing beat it out side-by-side on the monitor. 

Bottom line is get the right shaft/head combo from last 10 years and you’ll find negligible difference at most. 

I got lucky as I had an uncut x-stiff blueboard which went in the G20 when the other half put the roof down on the car despite being told not to. The mechanism chewed up the shafts of my driver and fairways that were loose in the trunk as that car was stupid small. The G20 driver turned into a weapon and the G15 fairways never felt right again. 

Exactly

Old on WRX is the G400 MAX.  Yes, I still have mine.  Yes I still play it.  Yes I still try to replace it.

I probably should re-shaft it and stop looking, but that won't happen.  At least the stop trying to replace it part won't happen.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I’ve been using TM R5 TPs since about 2009.  I only changed the setup as I get older.  Originally started with a 9.5* stiff, moved to 10.5* stiff a few years later and have been using a 10.5* regular for past 5 years.  Am going to do a reshaft to regular of an R7 425 TP 10.5* I recently picked up.  Maybe someday I will switch to something “new,” but I just really like using designs from the late 1990s - 2000s.  I think that’s when clubs really looked good. 

TaylorMade r5 Dual TP 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 83 R
TaylorMade R7 TP 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 80 S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 19* w/ Fujikura Motore F3 80 HB S
TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP 22* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana H S
Titleist 735 CM 4 - PW with UST ProForce 115 RV2 Gold Tour R 
MacGregor MT Pro Gunmetal DW design 54* and 58* w/ DG S300
MacGregor Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings w/ BeCu insert

If a 2016 Callaway GBB is old, then yes. I went to a Cally Demo day last year dfor the fun of it and tried all the new stuff. Different heads, different shafts, everything. The GBB was the best fit on the Trackman, i love the sound, the look and the feel. I guess it will be in the bag for a few more years.

Before that I played the good ole Cleveland Launcher (the thing with the dent in the crown) from the year it came out (2009 I guess) until 2016. The progress in playabilitiy was noticeable, I hit the Cally 15 yards longer on the fly.

I think the jump in performance from a driver pre 2010 to 2015 is in most cases noticeable, 2015 to 2020 not so much.

Edited by Short Pete