Let's discuss 3 to 5 foot putts

Rory4Pres

3 to 5 foot putts seem to make or break my rounds and I'm sure the same goes for a lot of you.  Yes, I know I need to practice them more (and I will) but I find myself thinking about tiny details, like how I hit the ball, keeping my head still, etc... For those of you that don't struggle missing 1 or more of these a round, what are your secrets for success on these "I should make" putts?

PRACTICE!!!

Here is a drill for you

Set up 4 tees around the hole at 3 feet, do the say at 4 feet, and the same at 5 feet

Grab 3 golf balls 

Start at a 3 foot tee and try to make 3 in a row (if you do, pick up the tee, if you don't, leave the tee and rotate)

At 4 feet you have to make 2 in a row

At 5 feet you have to make 1 putt

Get rid of all the tees

On every putt stand behind the ball and verbally say "its okay to miss" and take a deep breath

Walk into the putt, look at your target, look back at the ball, close your eyes, take a deep breath and swing

(I understand there is alot going on there and to remember)

Give this a few trys 

Use the same 'process' on the course maybe minus closing your eyes

Good Luck!

If this doesn't help ... then there some more technical aspects of putting to look to understand why your misssing so many putts

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Buy Sieckmann’s book “your putting solution”. It has some skill tests that show which part of your game is hurting you it’s either - strike (square face, starting online), reading greens or speed control. I did them and realized I can read greens well from behind the ball but when I address it my eyes (subconscious) reads it different. The real read feels super left. So I just focused on my aim point two feet in front of the ball and didn’t look at the hole. I made everything and short putts which have been killing me were so easy because if I just focus on starting. The ball rolling over my aim point two feet in front of the ball, a three footer is almost just a foot. Same for 4 feet basically makes it a 2 footer. It seemed to free me up and I didn’t miss after only an hour of practice. 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Santiago Golf said:

PRACTICE!!!

Here is a drill for you

Set up 4 tees around the hole at 3 feet, do the say at 4 feet, and the same at 5 feet

Grab 3 golf balls 

Start at a 3 foot tee and try to make 3 in a row (if you do, pick up the tee, if you don't, leave the tee and rotate)

At 4 feet you have to make 2 in a row

At 5 feet you have to make 1 putt

Get rid of all the tees

On every putt stand behind the ball and verbally say "its okay to miss" and take a deep breath

Walk into the putt, look at your target, look back at the ball, close your eyes, take a deep breath and swing

(I understand there is alot going on there and to remember)

Give this a few trys 

Use the same 'process' on the course maybe minus closing your eyes

Good Luck!

If this doesn't help ... then there some more technical aspects of putting to look to understand why your misssing so many putts

that's interesting you say "it's okay to miss".  For me, I putt best when I think "I'm going to make this".  When putting, I try to only think positive/optimistic.  

It reminds me of Jack's famous interview where he said, I don't think I missed a short putt all week and the reporter said, you missed a short one on 12 to which Jack said, no, no I don't think I did.  haha.  Point was he blocked that out of his mind and kept positive thinking only.

I normally do putting drills like this one you mentioned but my course just aerated so there's no point for another couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

Experiment with looking at the hole on the short ones. Let your natural aim/shoot ability take over and replace those technical thoughts.  

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Ugh, yes. Short putts. The tried and true imperative of "combining practice with a solid mental approach to gain confidence" is always going to be key.

Like @Santiago Golf, I use a "round the world" drill at the beginning of every practice and pre-round warm up session. I also work with three balls. Instead of hitting three balls from the same point around the hole, I space them evenly on the arc around each of the four "quadrants" surrounding the hole. Each putt is on a slightly different and unique line and the complete drill adds up to 12 total putts. I usually do it twice for a total of 24 putts. My goal is to make every single one - and honestly we should. 

I also like the "ladder drill" for straight putts and distance control. I find a straight line to the hole, then space tees at 3', 5', 7' and 9' feet from the hole. You hit three putts from each of the distances, and I generally allow myself three misses total for the drill. Obviously the further away you get, the greater the chance you will miss, so it puts a lot of pressure on those 3' and 5' putts.

As far as mental approach is concerned, I ascribe to Dr. Joseph Parent's "Zen Putting" approach. In a nutshell, this approach focuses on what you can control - i.e. everything that happens up until the ball leaves the putter face. As a result, you don't even look at the ball going into the hole. You stroke it and wait for the sound of it falling in the cup. It all about making a good read, having confidence in your line, and stroking the ball in the center of the clubface. 

Now, having said all of this, I must admit that out on the course, I can become a total headcase over short, tricky putts. It's always a question of line and speed. Should I hit it firm? Should I hit it soft? Is my line correct? What if I miss and everyone laughs at me? etc. etc. etc. It is maddening. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Ok, what I am stating here may not get much agreement and I may get some harsh feedback but maybe it will ring true for some.  Practicing putting, and spending extra time before a round trying to find something magical doesn't work.  Don't waste your time with this, not only can it make your confidence worse when out on the course but it's not great for your back.  Here's what I mean, multiple successful tour players and experts over time have been heard saying "you are either a good putter or you're not".  There is no secret to this at all, you either have feel or you don't.  You can't teach feel. 

One thing you can get better at which will help significantly is learning how to read break and making sure you utilize a line on the ball to aim.  Get a feel for the speed of the green and work on the reads.  Putt some different lengths, but don't spend unnecessary time on short putts, you will just have diminishing return.  Setup the line on the ball where you want it to roll, get your putter square behind it, and then roll the rock.  The only thing keeping you from consistently making 3-4 footers is not having confidence in the read.

I literally never "practice putting", I spend maybe 15 minutes before a round just rolling some putts, but I do it with a purpose.  I line up everything and really try to simulate what I would do on the course.

Biggest thing to me is making sure you're hitting your start line with the putt. At that range, putts aren't going to move much except on really sloping greens or really fast greens.

Next is making your normal stroke. Timid strokes tend to be short and pushed.  Take the break out of it and it tends to be pulled.

• Like 2

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I tend to be hot/cold from this distance, and I can tell what type of day it's going to be as soon as I hit 2 or 3 putts on the putting green. It doesn't even matter if I make them, there's just a certain feel that sometimes isn't there. I assume that I would have more good days with more practice from this distance.

Edited by UAdamz

My own experience on missing from that distance is usually caused by not keeping the head down thru the stroke of the ball.  This is due to wanting to see the ball drop in the cup.  If I do not keep the head down & watch the putter head go thru the ball on the intended line, the chances of missing the putt greatly increased.  Again, this is my own experience.

#1 - get a pxg operator...lol (I'm serious tho)

#2 - hit putts with speed...take out some break

#3 - forget what the putter head is doing. I like the thought/feeling of putting the grip...move the grip and the putter head follows

#4 - toe in your toes. Keep the hips completely still

#5 - do a drill where you place an old empty wallet between your lead wrist and the grip. Keep that wrist locked and just move the putter grip. Do that 30 times a day

• Like 1

I feel bad even trying to give advice on these, not because I'm not good at them, but because of how little thought and practice I put into them.

This range of putts I've convinced myself are easy makes. I pick my spot, find my line and a point in front of the ball, get up to it and knock it that way. Ball goes into hole. Very little thought other than which way it's gonna break and very little time over the ball thinking about it. Doesn't need to be a perfect line because the hole is bigger than the ball.

I assume I'm going to easily make them before I even get over the ball. I believe my confidence helps me make a good carefree stroke.

• Like 1

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I find that people that struggle on these often don't putt "athletically" enough. They freeze over the ball and make a jerky stroke, whether it be stabby or a decel. Keep something moving before you putt, and allow the swing to "grow" if that makes sense. 

Bonus tip: these putts don't move too much in most cases. A line on the ball is really useful! 

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

33 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

get a metal yardstick or meterstick and roll putts on it. the hole looks huge from 3' away after you can do this regularly. start with a wider stick to build up your confidence. 

I use the Putt Pro Stick.  Any stick with proper width is going to help.  But this is the 100% true test.  If you can roll it down that stick, you'll become a much better putter.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BURKMI19 said:

Ok, what I am stating here may not get much agreement and I may get some harsh feedback but maybe it will ring true for some.  Practicing putting, and spending extra time before a round trying to find something magical doesn't work.  Don't waste your time with this, not only can it make your confidence worse when out on the course but it's not great for your back.  Here's what I mean, multiple successful tour players and experts over time have been heard saying "you are either a good putter or you're not".  There is no secret to this at all, you either have feel or you don't.  You can't teach feel. 

One thing you can get better at which will help significantly is learning how to read break and making sure you utilize a line on the ball to aim.  Get a feel for the speed of the green and work on the reads.  Putt some different lengths, but don't spend unnecessary time on short putts, you will just have diminishing return.  Setup the line on the ball where you want it to roll, get your putter square behind it, and then roll the rock.  The only thing keeping you from consistently making 3-4 footers is not having confidence in the read.

I literally never "practice putting", I spend maybe 15 minutes before a round just rolling some putts, but I do it with a purpose.  I line up everything and really try to simulate what I would do on the course.

Please nobody follow this advice. You can absolutely learn feel and improve putting through practice. 

• Like 2

I was struggling with my start line inside 10 feet so I have been experimenting with using a line on the ball only for putts 10 feet and in really. First hole I used it on I setup to the ball and I was lined up a degree or two right, just enough to maybe catch the inside edge but could also slide on by.  That was eye opening for me to see. 

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Film yourself putting. Take a look at just how things appear. Are you moving? Are you centered? Are you making too big/small a stroke? How's your tempo? 

Limit face rotation. The more rotation there is, the more you're subject to the inconsistencies of imperfect timing.

Check ball position. If it slides too far forward/back it can become a nightmare trying to keep the ball on line. 

Check fundamentals: quiet head, shaft in line with forearms, square alignment, flat lower back, etc. 

Ultimately, go out and practice. Outside of 2-3 feet putts really start to break. You have to develop touch which is marrying speed and line together. You can't do that without practice. 

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

There are generally two reasons why people miss short putts - 1) inability to putt straight (i.e. mainly putter face control) or 2) mental barriers (i.  performance anxiety, tension, etc. ) It has less to do with green reading, speed control like medium and longer range putts. 

As one person mentioned above, the ruler drill can help with putting straight. I'd start here first. Once you master this drill, then your ball will start on your intended line, which is key to making the short ones. Fixing mental barriers is much harder and should be tackled, in my opinion, only after any technical flaws are corrected. Once the technical side is improved, funny enough, the mental stuff usually goes away on its own.

One of the things that stuck with me from Rotella's "Putting Out of Your Mind" book was the idea of focusing on a target much smaller than the hole. It can be a scratch on the inside of the cup, or a discolored blade of grass on the lip...anything very very small and specific. 

We humans are very adept at focusing on a target and hitting it, if we can keep our conscious mind from taking over. Focusing on a tiny target focuses our nervous system even more and gives us more margin for error. 

Incredibly, this seems to work off the tee as well. Instead of aiming for "the fairway" most good players pick out a much smaller specific target. Even if you don't nail it on that line you'll probably end up okay. 

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

4 minutes ago, Luv2kruz said:

Fixing mental barriers is much harder and should be tackled, in my opinion, only after any technical flaws are corrected. Once the technical side is improved, funny enough, the mental stuff usually goes away on its own.

developing and sticking to a consistent pre-shot routine and building a consistent set-up and trigger can help a lot with this. e.g. focusing on process instead of focusing on outcome.

Buddy of mine just finished up a local Tournament.  I helped caddie and routine work out.  This came up 3-5ft putts.

I told him...... Get to the range before each round and POUND 3ft putts at least 10minutes straight 100+putts. Get the muscle memory locked, get the audible memory locked (hearing the ball fall) ,  get the body to automatically putt 3footers rather than give yourself a chance to mentally screw them up. 😃

He loved it and he felt that was a huge help to his game.

I told him 2 things.

1) Most people under stress make a 3ft putt go 6ft, due to tense muscles and natural reactions to a high stress situation

2) Most people just dont drill it enough to be muscle memory. More so the confidence is worn down overtime unless you drill it.

So for a guy that is scratch and entered a local tournament, he was appreciative of the advise.

For me on the other hand, I built a truth board.  its about 4ft long, with a hole just bigger than a golf ball.  it has an incline, I made it out of leftover flooring 2x4 as the elevation and Grass (carpet) from Lowes.  

I putt with this thing in front of the TV, it simulates about a 5ft putt and I just hit this all night in front of the TV drilling in the motion and feeling. Hours on end.

As realistically, muscle memory is better than any other trick I found to make 3ft putts!

GL OP! 

Edited by Exactice808

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Here are the PGA make stats for 3 ft, 4 ft, and 5 ft

3’ = 1-putt %=95% 2-putt%=5%
4’ = 1-putt %=85% 2-putt%=15%
5’ = 1-putt %=75% 2-putt%=25%

(note all of these have a small <0.05% probability of 3 putting that I have ignored because it is so small)

These are not the same at all. 3’ is missing 1 out of 20, most people would say they should make most of those.  5’ is missing 1 of 4, that’s a fair amount and these are good putters.

I don’t think amateurs should ever think a 5 footer is automatic or in the same degree of difficulty as a 0-3 footer

• Like 3

Make sure your putter style matches your stroke

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

4 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

developing and sticking to a consistent pre-shot routine and building a consistent set-up and trigger can help a lot with this. e.g. focusing on process instead of focusing on outcome.

Agreed 100% on the process mentality. I was simply pointing out the connectedness of good technique and resulting success with the mental state. It can be a downward spiral where poor confidence can lead to technical issues (i.e. steering putts), which then can lower success and affect mental state even further. Or it can be an upward spiral when better technique leads to more success, which increases confidence and trust in the technical stroke, which then leads to a more relaxed and confident attitude and stroke. They go hand in hand. 

• Like 1

If you can somehow take a little piece of many of these posts, you might be onto something.  Any one of these posts in their entirety are not going to help, except the metal yardstick or Putt Pro Stick....or something similar.  Even a snap line on a straight, level putt.

Get the Pelz putting clip or put some rubber bands around the ends of the face center.  If you cannot consistently, not perfectly every time as it was pointed out even the best putters miss 1 out of 4 from 5 feet, hit the center of the face and roll the ball straight for 2 - 3 feet, then don't bother with any of these other drills.

Muscle memory?  Pounding 100+ putts from 3 feet before the round.  Ya, good luck with that.  Pre-round you are trying to dial in speed based on your feel that day.  Roll long putts, not short putts.  As someone pointed out, you miss a few shorties on the practice green and on the way to the tee you feel like crap.

Consistent routine, yes.  Especially when you pull the trigger.  You don't have to take the same amount of time every time when reading putts, but when you step into it and line it up, if you are not making a stroke pretty much at the same time every time with the same pace, then you will be all over the place.

And keep that left hip STILL !!!

• Like 1