Driver Fitting - Wowzer $$$$

Yoshimonster

9 minutes ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

I think at $360 you are paying for tipping, adaptor, and other services, etc. 

Those services are built into an MSRP. 

Keep in mind $360 is not what the building gets for the raw shaft. It is quite dramatically less than that. That’s with the expectation for the retailer to cover sales, hard, variable costs, etc. 

If the seller feels that their services warrant that and want to charge that said price, more power to them. Good for them! America!

I am just not going to be that guy. 

Not necessarily- there may be some that will include the adapter but not golfworks for instance.

https://www.golfworks.com/mitsubishi-diamana-tb-series-graphite-wood-shaft-70-s-flex/p/mr009370s/?gclid=CjwKCAjwuIWHBhBDEiwACXQYsTJTSCHVlkGBIVH9NbSicMLBGNHD_xuofohJbPOEl2ONrm-nKZVo4RoC0fAQAvD_BwE

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

9 minutes ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

Keep in mind $360 is not what the building gets for the raw shaft. It is quite dramatically less than that. That’s with the expectation for the retailer to cover sales, hard, variable costs, etc. 

If the seller feels that their services warrant that and want to charge that said price, more power to them. Good for them! America!

Not necessarily- there may be some that will include the adapter but not golfworks for instance.

https://www.golfworks.com/mitsubishi-diamana-tb-series-graphite-wood-shaft-70-s-flex/p/mr009370s/?gclid=CjwKCAjwuIWHBhBDEiwACXQYsTJTSCHVlkGBIVH9NbSicMLBGNHD_xuofohJbPOEl2ONrm-nKZVo4RoC0fAQAvD_BwE

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

None of the fitting fee was credited and they’re charging $50 to ship. Sorry I don’t care how good the build is, that’s a ripoff.  Oh and they decided to charge $15 for a $9 grip, which is nice. 

And to be clear, I’m all for Cool Clubs, Club Champion, etc charging what they charge. Something is worth what someone else will pay, so good for them and good for whoever pays what they ask.  I wouldn’t tell someone how to spend their money, I just wouldn’t spend that much.  End of rant, Happy 4th everyone. 

Edited by deep18
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, Yoshimonster said:

Appreciate everyone's perspective on this. 

I've decided to cancel the order and will try to build one on my own as I have the spec sheet from the fitting session. 

What I forgot to mention is that the shaft included the additional cost of puring and as someone mentioned here, also sprinkled with fairy dust.  😆  🤣

Jordan Klepper Cheers GIF by Comedy Central

Puring a $400 shaft? OK….

• Like 1

Golly gee, That my friend is like buying a car and losing a lot of the value when you drive off the lot. $1200 for a ping Driver that you probably would have gotten on here for $500 less. Oh well! Shafts are the most over priced things in the world. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I'm going to go a bit against the grain here, though I agree with what others are saying when looking at the cost breakdown. I had my driver fit by a local guy that used to work for one of the well known 'boutique' fitters prior to opening his own shop, I will say I wasn't charged the egregious markups for components. It was not cheap and I could have put it together cheaper on my own (would have been out the fitting fee though), but it is the best driver I have ever played and I have been playing it for nearly 5 years now. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Not sure how these places stay in buisness to be honest. 

they cater to the rich where money is no object 

same as a Lamborghini dealership 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

If they tell you up front what the prices are then its a case of "let the buyer beware".  The one thing that blatantly sticks out to me is they keep the stock shaft.  No way. You paid list price which includes head, shaft, and grip.  I would want those and the upgrade shaft which they charged over list price for. Or if its a case of them ordering just a head (not all manufacturers allow this) then the list price should be adjusted to reflect this. Either way you are getting jammed. ☹️

I've posted a couple times on this forum that what works well for me (both performance and price wise) is to simply go to a manufacturers demo day and try out all the combinations. I'm hitting outdoors on grass and they have a trackman (or other) device to also show me numbers.  I'm assured its all fair as they aren't set up to sell you anything - just give you the chance to see what works well for you.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cristphoto said:

If they tell you up front what the prices are then its a case of "let the buyer beware".  The one thing that blatantly sticks out to me is they keep the stock shaft.  No way. You paid list price which includes head, shaft, and grip.  I would want those and the upgrade shaft which they charged over list price for. Or if its a case of them ordering just a head (not all manufacturers allow this) then the list price should be adjusted to reflect this. Either way you are getting jammed. ☹️

I've posted a couple times on this forum that what works well for me (both performance and price wise) is to simply go to a manufacturers demo day and try out all the combinations. I'm hitting outdoors on grass and they have a trackman (or other) device to also show me numbers.  I'm assured its all fair as they aren't set up to sell you anything - just give you the chance to see what works well for you.  

Not to mention, a lot of club pros now have trackman/grass range. Schedule a lesson, but try different equipment that the pro is sponsored by, or has access to. 

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

OT: Hyperinflation-like gouging from ludicrous money printing well under way. Not going to end well for the 99%.

Edited by Tdsjfb

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

On 7/1/2021 at 10:48 PM, tatertot said:

Good to hear you made the right choice ...

Honest questions ... what's best case scenerio for ROI on a $1,300 driver? Assuming you're not playing total junk with the wrong flex, wrong length and gripless shaft you might get, what - 3 extra yards a drive and 1 extra fairway a round?

well since you asked…

My $1300 would go like this:

1. driver head I liked off that site. 

2. about 8 high end shafts to try off that site. 

3. what I don’t get along with back on that site. 

$150 for a fitting seems legit. The quoted price on the club is just nuts. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 7/6/2021 at 9:45 AM, Kale_m said:

Not sure how these places stay in buisness to be honest. 

Mostly the fit shop customer base is naive consumers who don't know much about the game of golf but want to hit better shots. Consequently, this consumer is vulnerable to predatory fitters/sellers.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

• 3 months later...
On 7/1/2021 at 4:46 PM, Yoshimonster said:

I went in for a driver fitting for the first time in my life.

Loved the process and fully satisfied with the experience at the Club Fitter known nationally that starts with C. 

I'm just more curious about the whole economics for the fitter and the buyer.

I came out 1.3K poorer.  Here is the breakdown.

- $499.99 for the Driver (Ping G425 Max)

- $475.00 for the Shaft (Diamana TB 60 S)

- $15 Grip (CP2 Pro)

- $150 Fitting Fee

- $50 Shipping

- $95.29 Tax

Grand Total: $1,290.28

Wowzer.  😢

I'll be getting the driver in 6-8 weeks.  (That's a good chunk of this season)

Question:

Isn't $499 the cost of the head, shaft and the grip for G425 Max?  Does the club fitter keep the original shaft and the grip??  Can I request these original part to be sent to me? Or maybe this just isn't how this works.  Someone please enlighten me.

P.S. Don't tell my wife. Thanks.

UPDATE

fox 6 update GIF

As recommended by some members of this community, I reached out to Will People and placed an order for the same set up.  Below is the price comparison. 

TL;DR

I've saved a total of $362.08.

$ Savings by Part

Driver: $99.99

Shaft: $115.00 (Note: I'm not getting the shaft Pured but Peoples golf offers it for $35)

Grip: $15.00

Shipping: $36.80 (Note:  Savings on this is even after selecting 2-day shipment from Peoples Golf)

Tax: $95.29

Total: $362.08 (~32% savings vs. the premium club fitter)

Other Observations and Benefits ordering through The Peoples Clubs:

- People golf offers a free hot melting on new clubs. So, yep.  I'm getting my head hot melted for better feel and to dampen that Ping 425 Max head sound. (Huge win!!!)

- Grips are included

- Turnaround time is 2 weeks vs. 6-8 weeks.

In conclusion, here are my final thoughts having gone through this experience.

1. A consistent enough player will hugely benefit from a good fitting. $150 I spent at C* premium club fitter was 100% worth it. 

2. The premium club fitters serve the premium consumer segment who are less price sensitive.

3. Great experience with Will Peoples and they seem to offer one of the most competitive prices with added benefits.  (Free hotmelt, grip and a quick service)

4. Dear my golf buddies... get ready to be WOWED!  

Sport Golf GIF by Toby Keith

Cost like this is a big reason I have not had driver fitting. I don't mind paying $150 for fitting and then somewhere $500 for a driver. I definitely don't want to pay $1300. 

I plan to go to Roger Dunn where they have around 20 used Taylormade Sim2 drivers (for $350 to $390) in a bin and try various lofts and shafts on their launch monitor. I may lose 5 yards compared to a fitted driver but I could save $900.

Edited by khalespace

Anytime I do this I try to pay for the fitting only. Make note of the shaft, profile etc. IMO many heads are the same, differing in loft. 
Tons of options for the OP in this thread. 
Also, I’ll hit everything in the used barrel and make some notes on shafts. 
Ive talked to many good golfers and they’ll check the used barrel for anything they can hit, all manufacturers.

Thats a lot of money, far too much. 

On 7/4/2021 at 9:39 PM, farmer said:

It seems to me that in one of these fitting threads, a rep said that Ping does not sell components.  Everyone has to buy the whole club, but what CC does with the stock shafts is unknown.

Very few of the large golf companies sell heads alone and those that do have set very high standards for those they sell to. Some cutter/gluer in his cellar will not get a whiff of them. Best some will do is  the club(s) uncut and ungripped.

My SIM cracked in the weight track and a new SIM2 is on the way. Felt like I had been fighting the SIM. I am trying to play a draw after many years of a hold off fade. I find I strike my irons better that way and want to play one ball flight most of the time. The SIM family is more fade biased. I have been building my own stuff for 19 years. I had been doing mostly component stuff (Snake Eyes and now Maltby) and then buying used stuff as the component wood heads just don't suit me. Had never been fit, but knew what I liked to see. I wanted to go try some drivers and shafts to see what was out there.

I debated on club champion (fitting only) as there is a highly regarded guy there, PGA SS (afraid I was only going to get stock shafts and limited X flex options), and a local fitter who TXG had mentioned. I chose the local fitter.

I told him what I was looking to do and why I was there. I also explained that I have been building my own equipment for 19 years and been a sub 5 handicap for probably 35. We tried a ton of shafts in a SIM2 because that would be my cheapest option and we couldn't get anything to work. I actually had to tell him we needed to move on as I could tell he was really trying to make a SIM2 work. Ended up in a TSI3. He sold me the head and adapter ($549, just like anywhere else, as I believe they are bound to sell at a certain price, shaft or no, just speculation there).  He told me to use the Xcaliber shaft I have for now. We discussed some different options on how to set things up and some things he didn't like in my current setup and how he would change them. He told me to come back in a few weeks to test against the HZRDOUS Smoke IM10 that performed best at no charge. I could then decide to buy the shaft. He charged me the $100 fitting fee (spent well more than an hour with me). I gladly paid for club, adapter, and his time.

I easily could have paid the fitting fee and then left and bought a used driver and popped my shaft on there. However,  he took the risk of opening his shop, has bills to pay, and a family to feed. So, I chose to buy new from him. I could find that shaft at Golfworks or somewhere used for less. However,  if I choose that shaft, I will get it from him, again for the reasons above. Also, he quoted me market price for the shaft, not $150 over market.

I can only imagine the investment he has made - GC Quad and projection system, monitors, hundreds of shafts on the wall, tons of club heads, the time to put the universal adapters on, the equipment and supplies he has bought, plus the time they have spent marketing everything. As a small business owner myself, I treated him as if I would have wanted someone to treat me. 

I played it yesterday and hit 9 of 11 fairways with it. Hit it every bit as long as my SIM. Straight to nice draw all except the one I tried to kill on a wide open par 5.

If I had gone to CC, would have been $175 fitting fee and would have bought my stuff elsewhere. Just be smart, and remember the local guys took a big risk to start their business. No dog in the hunt, just wanted to relay my experience. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

3 hours ago, KMo23 said:

This thread is about Cool Clubs

Didn’t think there was another place that did the same as club champion with regards to costs of items as most people are always complaining about club champion. This is interesting to hear about cool clubs so how come people go to these types of places if people are able to get the same components for cheaper. I don’t get it. 

I can see places charging for a fitting if you don't buy clubs. They're entitled to be paid for their services. But if you buy clubs from them then the fitting should be no extra charge. It's not like they don't make a profit on the club sale. As for buying raw heads, just about every maker offers a wide enough choice of shafts that at least one of them will have specs that are close enough to ideal to work for you. Still, you can find raw heads. eBay is the best source for them, usually sold by pro shops who pulled a shaft off a club for a customer, leaving them with a head.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

9 hours ago, Billfitz said:

They're entitled to be paid for their services. But if you buy clubs from them then the fitting should be no extra charge. It's not like they don't make a profit on the club sale.

They're entitled to be paid for their service, but if you buy something, their time and service should be free?

A fitting is an independent service, separate from the purchase of the club.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

2 hours ago, Ger21 said:

They're entitled to be paid for their service, but if you buy something, their time and service should be free?

Their time and service should be paid for by the profit they make on the sale. This business of charging for fitting began when internet sales took off. When that happened it wasn't long before people took advantage of free fittings and then bought the clubs on line for a lower price. Charging for fittings addressed that issue.

It is now, for the reason stated above, but it doesn't have to be. Places that make their money selling clubs would have greater sales volume if they waived fitting fees with a sale. Places that make their money doing fittings are losing money on sales to internet sellers. It all comes down to philosophy, do you use fitting tools to make more money on sales, or do you use them make money on fitting?

Callaway Supersoft

Do fitters in the US still charge the fitting fee if you order the club or clubs?  

In the UK it's common place to wave the fee if you're paying full retail for the clubs and getting custom specs.  

I've been fitted for irons, wedges and driver shafts, every time the fitting fee is waved.  The same shop does stuff for mini tour guys so it's not a am show.  

• Like 1

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

In the US at least it seems to mirror what's happened here with respect to auto diagnostics. Auto diagnostic tools that plug in to the car were originally intended to make it easier for mechanics to diagnose and fix problems, cutting down on the time and cost of diagnosis, which should have been reflected in a commensurate reduction in labor costs. It hasn't worked out that way. It's commonplace for dealer repair shops to do a diagnostic check, which takes all of thirty seconds, charging from $100 to $200 on top of the actual parts and labor to do the repairs, if there are any. If there's nothing found you still pay the diagnostic fee. Backyard mechanics like myself get around this by spending the equivalent of one diagnostic fee on our own diagnostic tool. Mine has paid for itself ten times over. 😁

Callaway Supersoft

On 7/4/2021 at 1:05 PM, drumdude96 said:

We're talking about the other fitting place with the initials "CC".  And the cost of that build definitely is a joke.  Especially charging $475 for a $360 shaft.  

On 7/4/2021 at 6:00 PM, AtlantaGolf3 said:

I agree with this.  The MSRP price of the shaft doesn't include the prep to install the shaft.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:40 PM, deep18 said:

None of the fitting fee was credited and they’re charging $50 to ship. Sorry I don’t care how good the build is, that’s a ripoff.  Oh and they decided to charge $15 for a $9 grip, which is nice. 

And to be clear, I’m all for Cool Clubs, Club Champion, etc charging what they charge. Something is worth what someone else will pay, so good for them and good for whoever pays what they ask.  I wouldn’t tell someone how to spend their money, I just wouldn’t spend that much.  End of rant, Happy 4th everyone. 

That price includes installation.

3 hours ago, Ger21 said:

I agree that you should have to pay for the fitting even if you buy something.

As an earlier poster said:

I can only imagine the investment he has made - GC Quad and projection system, monitors, hundreds of shafts on the wall, tons of club heads, the time to put the universal adapters on, the equipment and supplies he has bought, plus the time they have spent marketing everything. As a small business owner myself, I treated him as if I would have wanted someone to treat me.

Most of those on here pissing and moaning about price overlook this. Some say pay for it with a fitting alone fee. Maybe at a $350 fitting fee.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 1:57 PM, JCAG said:

As an earlier poster said:

Most of those on here pissing and moaning about price overlook this. Some say pay for it with a fitting alone fee. Maybe at a $350 fitting fee.

As a business owner myself, that is why I gladly paid the fitting fee plus the club. His time is money and he spent the time with me. Why should we cut out his profit when HE is the one who made the investment to provide a legit service? That was me who said the above. Glad someone agrees with me at least. Maybe not everyone, but someone.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X