Ryder Cup - Do we even have a chance?

caeye0710

On 7/27/2021 at 4:47 PM, bscinstnct said:

Cause we always losin! 

So, we say we don’t care.

But then if we win we like, 🤣

968418DF-8FFA-4002-8599-6BB0983569F9.jpeg

Not everyone....When the US was winning most of the Ryder Cups it was still just an exhibition money grab and it's still the same today IMO. The President's Cup is the Same. The outcome in todays matches are a forgone conclusion....Europe wins the RC and the US win the PC......I'd rather watch the Father and son tournament......Just my opinion. 

As we get closer to the event, I am starting to like U.S. chances more and more.  Reed definitely has to be on the team, and if I am Stricker, I am thinking Harris English for sure because that guy makes a lot of long putts which is how you demoralize your match play opponent.  To that end, I also give a serious look at Kisner; another one who makes more than his fair share of long putts.

I wanted to like the post where it was mentioned, just let the U.S. team be themselves, don't try to force/manufacture team spirit.  Let them pal with who they want, live where they want, practice how they want...just like every other tour event.  But this is pretty risky and can blow up spectacularly; i.e. Hal Sutton in black cowboy hat.

@Forged4ever is right that it takes good leadership to win, so I am giving the nod to Stricker over Padraig.  And I am going to have to see an authenticated pic of your 300 notebooks or I am calling b.s. too!  KIDDING!!!!  Your posts are gold, only surpassed by two things, your class, and @nikegal posts.  Haha!  I know, flattery gets me nowhere!

@Superbrit has me most convinced.  It is a transition year for Euro team, they are looking fairly week.  And on top of that, it looks a bit like the old RC because there too many Englishman on the team!  That's a good sign for U.S.

@Go Cougs Stay tuned, this could be the year Poulter has to sit on the bench after an eye strain in his first match!

Edited by CasualLie
  • Haha 3

On 8/11/2021 at 4:09 PM, CasualLie said:

@Forged4ever is right that it takes good leadership to win, so I am giving the nod to Stricker over Padraig.  And I am going to have to see an authenticated pic of your 300 notebooks or I am calling b.s. too!  KIDDING!!!!  Your posts are gold, only surpassed by two things, your class, and @nikegal posts.  Haha!  I know, flattery gets me nowhere!

@Superbrit

@Go Cougs

Hi CL😊Thank you very much for the kind words, and in some regards I am as shallow as Richard, as flattery will indeed get you far, hahaha😂. Regarding his notebooks, while he does have 310+, those pictured below are his last two plus's  years in the game, late 2010/2011-2012. He did keep some notebooks early in his teens, but they only concerned the golf aspects, both practice and his money games and tournaments, but he did not begin playing in the inter-club swats until his 20's, the year before he won his first club. Pete told him that if he could not play and win money against the best players in the city in the Vegas games, that he had no chance at winning his club, which in his own words was previously like "trying to run through a brick wall." That all changed in 1986 when he won his first of four. 

He let me read his notebooks a few years ago, and I have to say that while I met him in 1997 and knew of him, was in his life as a playing partner from 2003 on, and then romantically from 2012 on, the detail that he went into in his notes was amazing to me. I remember a lot of the tournaments, but it was the off course experiences that left me shaking my head, and around the club, some of the stories are still talked about. He kept kept his books like a diary, so there were a lot of social and even professional stories included, and while his notes on his practice routines, SWATs and tournaments were really interesting, the off course escapades and personal notes recapping these times, encounters and stories with the guys that he ran around with, along with the pros that he's mentioned and a few that he has not, including from other sports, because two of his college roommates/teammates played in the NFL and one went on to pro wrestling fame, are platinum, including a lot of the stories that he's told here. I could tell that some of them were written while he was still "buzzed," as he and his BB partner who he's spoken of, "Chuckie," used to close after hours clubs, drive up to the club at 5:00-5:30am, roll down the windows of their cars, lie down in the back seats to catch some sleep, and one of the assistants would wake them around 6:45-7:00, on their way into the club, hahaha. It's all there. What's too bad is that there are some stories that due to those involved, he could never post them or say the names of the guys involved😂, hahaha. I heard quiet a few from Pete, who initially told me that while Richard was a gentleman, I should avoid he and Chuck off the course because they only knew one speed- pedal to the metal with no brake. Ironically, this is what Sam liked about Chuck on the course, where he said that Richard was his "brake," but Chuck could not curb his off course antics, and it's one thing to do that against club Players and Ams, it's another world against Pros and Players at your level or higher. Anyway, while I'm not sure of the exact number, I know that it's between 310-320, hahaha. It really would be a h*ll of a book😂 . Regarding Steve, he is one of the classiest and nicest players on tour. That does not always equate to being a leader, especially when one is dealing with as many entitled, self-centered divas as will be in the US locker room. Not to sound like Richard, but nice and classy ain't gonna get it done. Neither will Steve or the US🇺🇸😉.  Take care CL, and thanks again for the kind words🤗😊Madison

26D4B461-04AC-40F5-8F6B-E0FCB45A1D91.jpeg

Edited by nikegal
  • Like 1

Well we are now in mid-August and looking at the form of the US Ryder Cup guys is interesting at best.

2020/21 Season

Morikowa - 20 Starts, 2 wins and 11 Top 25's (last 10 - best 1, only 2 outside top 25) 

D. Johnson - 18 Starts, 1 win and 11 Top 25's (last 10 - best T8, 3 missed cuts)

DeChambeau - 19 starts, 2 wins and 10 Top 25's (last 10 - best T8, 5 outside top 25)

Koepka - 17 Starts, 1 win and 8 Top 25's (last 10 - best  T2, 3 missed cuts)

Thomas - 20 Starts, 1 win and 12 Top 25's (last 10 - best T13, 6 outside top 25)

Schauffele - 19 Starts, 0 wins and 14 Top 25's (last 10 - best T3, 3 outside top 25, + olympic gold)

So that is who is on the team for sure. Seems like Schauffele and Morikowa have good form but others not so much lately.

Of likely guys not in the Top 6 you have English and Spieth playing pretty well but this could be a hard year to pick. I said it before and will say it again if I was captain I would probably go chalk on the top 12.

One of Europe’s biggest stars Tommy Fleetwood even just lost his PGA Tour card for next season.🙄 I’d pick Kevin Kisner for sure to the US team. He is currently hot with a win under his belt, nicknamed the ”matchplay assassin”, great putter, and a true locker room guy everyone loves playing and being with. For once the Yanks could let go of their commercial and endorsement driven thinking and do what’s best for their team: pick Kiz instead of Phil.

Saying this as a Europe supporter because love to watch electric fights regardless of their outcome, aka Reed vs. Rory in 2016.

Edited by SamboRoll
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good stuff!  I don't know you but I love ya Richard.  And Maddie.  You two are the greatest.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I dont get the whole Kisner on the team deal. Look i am a huge fan if his but I know his limitations. He is a great match play player at the goofy short Austin CC. He is not in great form as people make him out to be. Outside of the win a month ago, he has been DFL or missed cuts too much. Whistling Straights is a horrible course for him. Look up his previous rounds there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

I dont get the whole Kisner on the team deal. Look i am a huge fan if his but I know his limitations. He is a great match play player at the goofy short Austin CC. He is not in great form as people make him out to be. Outside of the win a month ago, he has been DFL or missed cuts too much. Whistling Straights is a horrible course for him. Look up his previous rounds there. 

Kisner would be a fascinating and daring choice for the US Ryder Cup team.  It would answer the question of whether a gritty tough bulldog can win in match play on a course ill-suited to his game.  BTW, I think Ian Poulter has answered that question multiple times in favor of the bulldog, but Kisner (or Na) would go a long way towards confirming it. 

As a fan of Kisner but also a proponent of horses-for-courses, I don't know what the right choice is, but I would love to see him (and Na) on the Ryder Cup squad and wouldn't bet against him in any match if he were on the team.

I think Na has a better argument than Kisner but I wouldn't take either of them for this venue. I'd probably go 7-12 minus Reed due to health concerns and take Scheffler or Webb.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

7 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I think Na has a better argument than Kisner but I wouldn't take either of them for this venue. I'd probably go 7-12 minus Reed due to health concerns and take Scheffler or Webb.

Reed only if he is 100 pct healthy. Gotta agree. Nah to Na . 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Put in Na!

Never been on the RC team. Be a dream for him. Give him a shot, playing great golf now.

How great he do the Na walk in!

86B7884E-4DE2-46E8-A86C-BAE7803978CF.jpeg

Yeah, getting under their skin with those Na walk-ins.  Euros be like:

jennifer aniston stop GIF

Then Na be like:

top gun deal with it GIF

Edited by Go Cougs
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:58 PM, bscinstnct said:

The US can never replicate the Euros deep seated desire to beat the US.

The US sees it as their team vs the Euros

The Euros want, with every thread of being, not to beat our team. But to beat America.

They loathe us, they despise us. Even more so because they resent that that they love living here so much and enjoying the luscious fruits of our beautiful country. 

Here’s what DWillets brother called Americans, 

“fat, stupid, greedy, classless bastards" 

This, you’d better believe this is the rallying cry (and worse!) the Euros chant before they hit the course.

The US just can’t match that level of motivation; )

You're not wrong. Having a common "enemy" will always be a stronger motivator. It seems people tend to forget that the rest of the world really doesn't like America or stereotypical Americans very much and this is the 1 week these guys get a chance to stick it to us. It really isn't more complicated than that. 

• Like 1

Most of the US team members are NOT intense competitive winners; that's the problem.  Euro teammates act like team DAVID, wanting to take down Goliath.  I respect that.  Our guys talk the talk but don't know how to walk the walk.  Winning happens by accident for most American golfers.  They simply don't have the killer, I want to step on my opponent's throat, instinct. 

It's a mindset that was quite common in my generation.  I have had that instinct all my life, reason I don't play any games with close friends or family. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

The irony, of course, is that for all of their Continental sophistication, they all move to 

Florida!

And one day, no matter how much they resent it, find themselves at a Mickey Dee’s drive-through ordering McNuggets and cranking Free Bird 🤣

Tellin ya, This RC Euro obsession is nothing less than the desire to purge themselves of their love of living in America; )

Yep, Guilt for their love of Orlando And Jupiter.....LOL!

I am looking forward to seeing how our new guys perform. Frankly I had enough of Fowler, Phil, and Tiger playing all the time and stinking up the place. (Rickie played in 15 matches in 4 cups.) Hopefully Brooks and Reed are healthy, as they have winning records and we need some experience to go with Morikawa, Cantlay, Schaff, and whoever else. Thomas and Spieth have been solid before. They need Bryson to play well and DJ a little better. Can they bring an ‘A’ game. Or at least A- or B+? That would be a start!

Also interested to see how Stricker is going to set up the golf course. Justin Rose called Hazeltine a “pro-am” set up. Which you could say was sour grapes. But it was true and funny as well. It’s Wisconsin, so get the brats and beers ready. And a shot of Jagermeister to kick things off!

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

23 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

the rest of the world really doesn't like America or stereotypical Americans very much and this is the 1 week these guys get a chance to stick it to us. 

The rest of the world???

Very Much???

Hell, I can't stand the Americans IMMENSELY, lol!!

They're a bunch of self centered, primadonna entitled Me, Me, Me boys in the ultimate Team Match and not a one has done it successfully on the Ryder Cup stage!!

What, are they gonna rely on a pre-match pep talk from their fearless leader, Phil😂😂😂???? 

GTFOH😂😂😂

Pepper's all over it in that mentally, the vast vast majority of that US team is "soft." I'm not sayin that they don't want to win the Cup🏆. I mean, seriously, who DOESN'T want to win the Cup??? It's just that WANTING to win the Cup is a whoooooole nother level from knowing what it takes, having what it takes and then a world away from gettin it done! 

As bad as this European team may of may not be, they are Professionals, they are the current torch bearers🔥 to an incredible Legacy with a Champion's lineage which, trust me here, is worth 1/2-1 holes across a Sunday Match, which I am confident that they will come together, as the Euros do every two years, and hand the US their *sses in their own house.

Before they leave Europe, I would have a Team dinner in which I would invite EVERY former Team Member, Captain, Asst Captain and the damn team dog if they had one, from the 2002-2018 Teams and I would put together a greatest shots/greatest moments video along with a clip from every post-cup celebration. Then I would have Ian stand and speak of what it's like to be the lowest ranked Player on either team, never once being in the World's Top-10, ranked #34 in 2004, #26 in 2008 and #THIRTY FRIGGIN NINE IN 2018, yet he KNOWS that Match Play is not about skill, it is about heart , balls & survival as he has NEVER lost on Sunday(5-0-2) and trust me, when he's finished talkin, that Team will leave every last ounce of their being on that course later this month!!

Just as an aside, If the Euros have time post-match before their flight home, they should introduce themselves to the US Team's women too😂😂!!

The Ladies always love a Winner!!

And those accents😜???

As the Cup usually comes down to Sunday's matches, please remember that match play at the highest levels has much much more to do with a Man's intestinal fortitude and testicular size than it does talent level, word ranking and how far one hits a golf ball😉

It ain't about the Golfer..

It's about the Man!!

I can't believe that you guys from across the pond are conceding ANYTHING to this US team.

I wouldn't concede an 8" putt to anyone of em cept Patrick, lol

They haven't done sh*t to deserve anything, cept for a tee time to get their *sses kicked later this month.

Bottom line, The Euro Team "Gets It!!"

The US???

GTFOH😂😂

Full disclosure, I gotta grand on em🇬🇧 

As always, just my .03

Stay Well My Friends👊
RP

8A2BC938-6279-4275-BF55-6960475886E0.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

And Bryson better get off the Schneid ASAP or hecklers will call him Goose (for Goose Egg) instead of Brooksie.

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

18 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

As the Cup usually comes down to Sunday's matches, please remember that match play at the highest levels has much much more to do with a Man's intestinal fortitude and testicular size than it does talent level, word ranking and how far one hits a golf ball😉

It ain't about the Golfer..

It's about the Man!!

Damn, you said that so well. 👋  Especially, "the Man"  These whinny, spoiled tour boys know nothing about stomping on the throats of the competitor, till they whimper.  

I read this AM, Reed, the only one with NADS and will to win, is out.  God, please don't let it be a blow out...

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

The Euros haven't even hit a shot, sank a putt or put a point on the board and they are breathing a huge sigh of relief, lololol.

Sticker's not selecting Patrick as a Captain's pick has got to have the boy's across the pond raising pints and whoopin it up already, lolol. My $1000 is lookin safer everyday and the USA hasn't even sprayed a drive or yanked a putt yet😂😂🤙

Seriously, I haven't been this excited for a RC in years, lol!!

Had Patrick been selected, I would have tempered my enthusiasm for the Euros and laid something down on the US side.

The least Stricker could've done was contact Patrick to see how he's feeling(He's feeling fine BTW). As THE most RC point winning current US Player not named Tiger, he deserved at least that courtesy. 

Even if he's not 💯, his intensity, tenacity, drive and grit would help a team sorely lacking in these traits and leadership. This is a pack of talented sheep🐑. There ain't a sheep dog🐕 amongst em, so the wolves are gonna have a feast😂😂

Now, it's pedal to the metal Gents🤙

Starting with Strick, who's as Classy as they come, this is a US team begggggggin for a beating😜!!!

And we all know the twelve guys who will gladly administer that beating in short order😂😂!!

Hey, it ain't football🏈, but it's as close as ya can come without gettin arrested😜

As always, just my .03 worth😊

Have a Great Weekend My Friends👊
RP

https://nypost.com/2021/09/10/patrick-reed-likes-tweets-ripping-coward-ryder-cup-captain-after-snub/amp/

885BCD78-F3AF-4C24-ABC2-E158AA24D135.jpeg

B15E76C5-A697-4038-8FDF-157C5DBFF0B3.jpeg

37739806-3998-460D-A0C8-99C0FE0B01B6.jpeg

61473BA8-CFF3-4B83-B2AD-394F9F0F2BA2.jpeg

B169D4A5-E9A1-44B1-9D30-1DA3FFF825F3.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24