Ryder Cup - Do we even have a chance?

caeye0710

1 hour ago, Titleist99 said:

Yet when you dress them all in the same clothing.......They become the greatest putters in the world. All mentioned play in the US regularly so it a home game for Europe every RC. Some have more fans here than across the pond.

That is a point that many don't get. The European team plays here week in and week out. Occasionally they zip over to the continent to play in key events. US guys go to Dubai and Scotland/England prior to the Open and then the Open itself. I am sure none have played at Marco Simone Golf and Country Club. Of course that might be a US type of course. Short but looks pretty open.

The US can never replicate the Euros deep seated desire to beat the US.

The US sees it as their team vs the Euros

The Euros want, with every thread of being, not to beat our team. But to beat America.

They loathe us, they despise us. Even more so because they resent that that they love living here so much and enjoying the luscious fruits of our beautiful country. 

Here’s what DWillets brother called Americans, 

“fat, stupid, greedy, classless bastards" 

This, you’d better believe this is the rallying cry (and worse!) the Euros chant before they hit the course.

The US just can’t match that level of motivation; )

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

The Euros want, with every thread of being, not to beat our team. But to beat America.

They loathe us, they despise us. Even more so because they resent that that they love living here so much and enjoying the luscious fruits of our beautiful country. 

This, you’d better believe this is the rallying cry (and worse!) the Euros chant before they hit the course.

Yeah, I think this is really the crux of it.  The Euros just care a lot more.  I mean half the reason I watch is just to see if one of Poulter's eyes pop out.

Poulter.jpg

• Haha 3

1. Morikawa

2. DJ

3. Bryson "The Scientist" DeChambeau

4. Brooksy

5. JT

6. Xander

7. Reed

8. Spieth

9. Harris English's putter

10. Catlay's ballstriking 

11. Sheffler 

12. Finau's no putting butt

No phil! If phil gets picked then the US loses. No zalatoris. Next time, not yet. I like Berger only because he and brooks would pair up perfectly. Hard to leave off Simpson's all around game. But he's also only 4-4-1 in ryder cups. 

I take finau because he may be the best to pair with bryson.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:50 AM, grm24 said:

Here is why Stricker should take a hard pass on Zalatoris. That and his level of play on the PGA Tour has been very spotty recently. Nice Masters and PGA finishes but not so much after that. Can't see any way you can take him over a two time winner on tour this season like Harris English. WZ hasn't won anything on tour and at this time is not an actual PGA Tour member though he will become one at the start of the 2021/22 wrap around schedule when he gets his PGA tour card.

If missing a short putt is the standard. Each side may not be able to field a team

6 hours ago, Dave230 said:

If it was a Ryder Cup in Europe I think it’d be 50-50, but the strength of US plus home advantage makes them big favourites. Europe will always fight though.

US, big favorites😂😂😂????

Bro, you willing to lay $500 on that???

Fairways Greens & Fair Skies 4ever
RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Yeah, yeah Europe can talk all the crap it wants, but I have said from the beginning when the presidents cup came it would devalue the US ryder cup team no matter what you did. This is very much the case. 

when Europe is forced to play an event against the world like the presidents cup and they have to play it for 20 years, I guarantee that Europe will put a team out as discombobulated as the current US team.

Sorry Europe, your players are not better and more of a team, they are simply hungrier and more focused mostly due to the PGA tour money grab that the presidents cup has become.

The only good news is that the PGA tour bought a large chunk of the european golf tour...

10 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

US, big favorites😂😂😂????

Bro, you willing to lay $500 on that???

Fairways Greens & Fair Skies 4ever
RP

...no haha.

I think the quality of the US team and home advantage will matter. If you look at the last US Ryder Cups, US won in 2016, 2008 and lost in 2012. But 2012 was only in unusual circumstances, US really should have won that but for Poulter and Rose heroics. And I think this team is better than 2012.

As long as they don't pair Bryson-Koepka in foursomes together like Mickelson-Woods in 2004....

• Like 1

When college football starts I lose interest watching golf on tv. I'm sure I'm in the minority tho. As far as does the USA have a chance......of course. But doubt they get it done. 

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

On 7/21/2021 at 9:07 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

After his taking shots at Watson performance Phil was supposed to be part of a new process.  He makes this team it’s business as usual.  Other than lighting in a bottle he’s been terrible. 

I certainly wouldn't play him in foursomes, but none of the Americans seems to thrive there.  He had a few terrible years where he absolutely hurt the team, he has also had some nice years as well.  Being 8-6-1 in singles is certainly no disgrace.  

• Career Ryder Cup record (Wins, Losses, Halves): 18-22-7 
  • Years Played: 1995-97-99-2002-04-06-08-10-12-14-16-18
  • Total Matches: 47
  • Singles (W-L-H): 8-6-1
  • Foursomes (W-L-H): 5-8-4 
  • Four-balls (W-L-H): 8-8-2 
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

As a European fan i do fear for this ryder cup, European team is going through a bit of a transition, probably going to be the last ryder cup for the likes of rose, garcia, poulter, casey, westwood, if they all make it, then we have lost the likes of stenson and molinari, its going to be the weakest team that i can remember, well maybe the 2008 team

Also why do golfers who think the ryder cup is just an "exhibition" or say "i dont watch it anymore" or they "dont care who wins" feel the need to tell everyone in a ryder cup thread? Guess what us golfers who love the ryder cup dont give a **** what you think

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

What’s the word on the golf course? Is it going to be a pro-am set-up?

RPII - great stuff always!!

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

27 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

As a European fan i do fear for this ryder cup, European team is going through a bit of a transition, probably going to be the last ryder cup for the likes of rose, garcia, poulter, casey, westwood, if they all make it, then we have lost the likes of stenson and molinari, its going to be the weakest team that i can remember, well maybe the 2008 team

Also why do golfers who think the ryder cup is just an "exhibition" or say "i dont watch it anymore" or they "dont care who wins" feel the need to tell everyone in a ryder cup thread? Guess what us golfers who love the ryder cup dont give a **** what you think

Cause we always losin! 

So, we say we don’t care.

But then if we win we like, 🤣

968418DF-8FFA-4002-8599-6BB0983569F9.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 3

As of today, I'd take our top 11 in points: Morikawa, DJ, BDC, BK, JT, X, YJS, Captain America, English, Cantlay, Berger.

12 is a tough choice. I would only take Phil if he's going to be some kind of Bryson and Reed whisperer and make everyone else like them. His results this year have not been great (he won a major, but is 17th in points) and his Ryder Cup record is not what we need. He wouldn't be the first major winner left off, and won't be the last (poor JD and his two majors never made a squad).

Webb has experience, but similar to Phil, it isn't successful experience. Finau isn't a closer (sorry, but true). Scheffler is about as meh of a choice as you can have. Since I don't like any, I'll withhold judgement and go with whoever is the hottest the last three weeks of the season.

On paper this team is massive favorites, as they always are. I'm almost wondering if we should try the craziest approach yet and let the players treat it however they want to, individually. Some of them clearly dislike each other and I can't imagine forcing them into a room to do trust falls will do anything other than make them play worse. Let Brooks and Reed go get their own houses and be loners. Let the social guys get a few big houses right beside each other and have cookouts. Let the loners take their own cars and hit balls on the end of the range with just their caddies and coaches around. Basically, just let them prepare the way they always do since they're successful with their own approaches. The captain can send out an email every day with the next day's schedule and which shirt to wear.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, golfday said:

As of today, I'd take our top 11 in points: Morikawa, DJ, BDC, BK, JT, X, YJS, Captain America, English, Cantlay, Berger.

12 is a tough choice. I would only take Phil if he's going to be some kind of Bryson and Reed whisperer and make everyone else like them. His results this year have not been great (he won a major, but is 17th in points) and his Ryder Cup record is not what we need. He wouldn't be the first major winner left off, and won't be the last (poor JD and his two majors never made a squad).

Webb has experience, but similar to Phil, it isn't successful experience. Finau isn't a closer (sorry, but true). Scheffler is about as meh of a choice as you can have. Since I don't like any, I'll withhold judgement and go with whoever is the hottest the last three weeks of the season.

On paper this team is massive favorites, as they always are. I'm almost wondering if we should try the craziest approach yet and let the players treat it however they want to, individually. Some of them clearly dislike each other and I can't imagine forcing them into a room to do trust falls will do anything other than make them play worse. Let Brooks and Reed go get their own houses and be loners. Let the social guys get a few big houses right beside each other and have cookouts. Let the loners take their own cars and hit balls on the end of the range with just their caddies and coaches around. Basically, just let them prepare the way they always do since they're successful with their own approaches. The captain can send out an email every day with the next day's schedule and which shirt to wear.

Good analysis, me...I'd take Phil but rest him a bunch.  He would need to understand his role was that of a leader, no foursomes, a 4 ball match or two, then singles.  If Phil could finish 1-1-1 or 2-0-1 and be a positive influence in the locker room that would be perfect.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 7/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, bscinstnct said:

It’s funny. He was holding a mirror when he said that , so I’m told.  And  to make it worse he used an accent that makes Appalachian Americans sound like the queens speech therapist.  I mean he needs subtitles it’s so bad.  

• Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 7/21/2021 at 9:58 AM, johnseg said:

Phil 20 starts in 2021

T44

CUT

CUT

T55

CUT

T53

CUT

T35

T25

CUT

T21

CUT

CUT

T62

T61

T74

CUT

I just don't think that PGA offsets the rest of the season. That is 15 of 20 starts outside the top 50.

Yea. I’ve since changed my mind on phil.  He’s drinking too much koolaide for my tastes.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

27 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Good analysis, me...I'd take Phil but rest him a bunch.  He would need to understand his role was that of a leader, no foursomes, a 4 ball match or two, then singles.  If Phil could finish 1-1-1 or 2-0-1 and be a positive influence in the locker room that would be perfect.  

True, but he was rested 3/4 team matches and lost and lost singles in 2018 as a Captain's pick.  He's older, stranger and just don't think you rely on him to "turn it on" for these matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

It’s funny. He was holding a mirror when he said that , so I’m told.  And  to make it worse he used an accent that makes Appalachian Americans sound like the queens speech therapist.  I mean he needs subtitles it’s so bad.  

Well, 🤣 

But, what the US Players need to “get” is that for the Euros, it’s personal.

Even more so, it’s like a family vs family feud. 

It’s a war for them. 

They take pride in stomping on the Stars and Stripes. 

Until the US gets that and finds an equivalent level of motivation 

The Euros will find that extra gear, gain that extra focus, sink that putt that they never make in a tour event. 

Gotta get it on a personal level. 

Eyeball to eyeball

🤣

936ACA86-876B-4021-BE55-CA35025AAA73.jpeg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Well, 🤣 

But, what the US Players need to “get” is that for the Euros, it’s personal.

Even more so, it’s like a family vs family feud. 

It’s a war for them. 

They take pride in stomping on the Stars and Stripes. 

Until the US gets that and finds an equivalent level of motivation 

The Euros will find that extra gear, gain that extra focus, sink that putt that they never make in a tour event. 

Gotta get it on a personal level. 

Eyeball to eyeball

🤣

936ACA86-876B-4021-BE55-CA35025AAA73.jpeg

Oh I agree. And I get it. I subscribe to the idea that competition should be treated as war.  Mercy at times after a clear defeat , but none until then.  You must want to kill them.  You can’t be friends.  And you certainly can’t be their fans.  Reed gets it.  He only saluted Rory after Rory showed the same fire and that he understood that for that 18 holes they were enemies.  It wasn’t as some mistook.  They weren’t being chummy.  It was just a mutual respect show , snd then back to trying to scalp your opponent.  Floyd , Seve , they got it too.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 7/27/2021 at 12:59 AM, Forged4ever said:

That's a great question as knowing Patrick a lil, and I'm goin back to just prior to the last cup as Maddie and I were out with he and Justine and we were talking about the Cup, the team aspect of it and how, even though most of these guys would never wanna go out to dinner with Patrick(or Justine, as when Patrick said that, she chirped in, "or me," and it was funny as hell as it came out of left field, which she would do often. She's funny, witty and sharp. Don't believe everything that ya read😉), every one of them who wanted to win, and winning was their number one goal, would want him as a Partner. He flat out said "No one on that team is better than me at 'crunch time' in the Cup. NO ONE." He used "crunch time" as I use "under the gun."

You don't have to be a Mensa to know who his second emphasized "NO ONE" was referring to, lol. Bear in mind that he was also referring to the Ryder Cup. He also said that he loves the fans and that they are second only to his teammates, as far as who he's Playing for, which did not surprise me at all. He really does appreciate his fans and those that have stuck by him through all of the bullsh*t and noise. However, just as he uses those that cheer him on to pump himself up, I myself think that he feeds off of those that jeer him, boo him and shout obscenities at him to fire himself even more, focusing all of his energy on his next shot to shut their mouths and allow him to give his trademark "shhhh" gesture or hand to ear as in "I can't hear you," lol.

Please remember that we were having that talk pre-Cup though he spoke of "leaving the ego at the door" many times and said that winning was his only goal and that he didn't have to like his Partner, and he never once mentioned a particular name, nor did Justine. Looking into his eyes, he was serious, focused and honest. 

Say what you will about Patrick Reed however he put a collegiate team on his back and carried them to not one but TWO NCAA Championships and then he basically put the 2014 Ryder Cup team on his broad shoulders and did the same. His intensity and focus in his eyes is contagious and anyone sharing a locker room with him who would not kill to Partner with him is either absent a pulse, absent a competitive bone in their body or they are too insecure and shouldn't even be in the same locker room as Patrick Reed. 

He said a few times "if we leave our egos at the door, we will be fine, if not, the Euros certainly will and that will make for a long three days." The last time that he said that, he said, "if we leave our egos at the door, we will be fine, if not......," his voice trailed off as Madison and Justine arrived back at the Table and he didn't finish the statement, he smiled, took Justine's hand and said "let's go Play some pool."

The problem has never been Patrick Reed, Jordan Speith, Phil or any other Player that you'd care to mention. They are the Players and yes, this is a single Player's game however for three days it is a TEAM game, and having Played a true team sport for 17+ years, it starts at the top, with the Head Coach, or in this case, the Captains. No, he cannot go out and hit the shots for them, though as I've chirped ad nauseam on this board, as recently as that 4~ cap/British Open thread, that at this level, it not the world rankings, it is not the home track advantage and it is not the raucous fans. It is about the Captain & Asst. Captains who get their Players to check their egos at the door, focus on the task at hand and their next match and next shot, regardless of who their Partner or opponent is. At this level, regardless of the format, location or field, the difference between the Champion(s) and the rest comes down to ONE variable...

MENTAL!!!

In this area, the Euros OWN the US!!!

There is NO ONE who gets this more Patrick Reed. He has been here before. He, and only HE, has put teams on his back and carried them to Championships and Victories. In a competitive situation, and I do not care what the arena, Playing field or what the sport or activity is, you ALWAYS want the Guy/Gal who's "been there, done that" and walked away a Champion on your team, in your locker room and by your side.

Again, superb question Sambo!!

Hey, I've laid $500 on your boys and if Phil is chosen, I'm layin another five on em, lol😂😂

Fairways Greens & Fair Skies 4ever my Friend
RP

FB0ED9A1-9163-4F0B-BE11-265EB8A4D8F6.jpeg

1B0C51C0-5175-4B6E-AE29-103040A2113A.jpeg

072D0F6A-6799-4D51-A87F-EB3ABA4C4551.jpeg

6CC823C1-021F-4746-A98C-10004880C325.jpeg

6543D556-CD05-4166-B469-40F3DAFEB2D5.jpeg

People that tell long/detailed stories that seem too complicated to be lies are usually lying, especially if they do it frequently and seem to have a story about everyone. I know you are a regular on this site, but I’ve read most of the stories from you and I honestly don’t believe them. My instincts are telling me that you have a big imagination and enjoy making up tall tales. I know that’ll upset some people, but I know others that are thinking it but won’t ever say it. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, butterysnaphook said:

People that tell long/detailed stories that seem too complicated to be lies are usually lying, especially if they do it frequently and seem to have a story about everyone. I know you are a regular on this site, but I’ve read most of the stories from you and I honestly don’t believe them. My instincts are telling me that you have a big imagination and enjoy making up tall tales. I know that’ll upset some people, but I know others that are thinking it but won’t ever say it. 

image.jpeg.29eb4f1c1e9a65d3b9850522c8e2b768.jpeg

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Oh and keep telling your stories @Forged4ever, I and many others love them and the insight that they provide.

For what it’s worth, the US Team are going to kick our butt in September. Of that, I am sure.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023