Ryder Cup - Do we even have a chance?

caeye0710

6 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

Why is there so much hate towards Daniel Berger?  Seriously.  The guy has big-time game.  Outside of Morikawa is probably the best iron player on the PGA Tour.  300 off the tee and usually in the fairway.  Hits the mid and long irons extremely well, which is going to be important at WS.  One of the best birdie machines on Tour.  He's exactly the type of player you want in a match play setting - someone who is always on the green in regulation and makes a lot of birdies.  Yet people continue to talk about him like he's some sort of scrub.

A team of Morikawa and Berger would be awfully tough to beat, either in 4-ball or alternate shot.  That's a pairing I would like to see.

I don't hate the dude ... but your write up is pretty much spot on. Great iron player, long off the tee. Makes a ton of birdies. Has won 4 times in 8 years. Somethings amiss. Yes, it's tough to win on Tour, but something is lacking from making this guy a top-tier, A-list player.

And that's why I would be shocked to see him play 4 matches. 

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

55 minutes ago, tatertot said:

I highly doubt Westwood is fit enough to play 5 matches,

That is, cut and paste, what you wrote. You're either a liar or have a poor memory.

And you "stated" that you thought "every match we need to put Cantlay up against Rahm."

You realize we can all go back and read what you wrote, right?

Westwood hasn't played 5 matches in a Ryder Cup since 2006. What makes you think a 48 year old Lee Westwood will go out and play every session?

1 hour ago, tatertot said:

I don't hate the dude ... but your write up is pretty much spot on. Great iron player, long off the tee. Makes a ton of birdies. Has won 4 times in 8 years. Somethings amiss. Yes, it's tough to win on Tour, but something is lacking from making this guy a top-tier, A-list player.

This isnt a 4-round, stroke play event.  This is match play.  And Berger has every exact quality you want - long, straight, GIR machine, birdie machine.  

Quite frankly, if there is someone who should be playing all 5 matches on the US side, its a guy like Berger.  He, Morikawa, and JT  - the best all-around ball strikers on the team - should be playing every session.

Edited by JaNelson38
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tatertot said:

You both are spot on, as he's got ALL of the physical tools and talent to dominate, much more than e has and more so than many of the guys who are ranked above him!!

I'll say it again as Berger is a prime example of what I constantly chirp about though it is rarely mentioned on this board, unless it's one of @rangersgoalie's or @isaacbm's posts, and that is that at this level, under the gun, it's 💯 MENTAL!!!

THAT is what separates the very top Champions from the Bergers of the Tour and THAT is what Berger is lacking.

One round, one shot, one putt, Under the gun, for all the marbles???

C'mon, would you lay you monthly mortgage on him????

Great posts and superb point Tates👊

Stay Well🍻

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

2 hours ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

Westwood hasn't played 5 matches in a Ryder Cup since 2006. What makes you think a 48 year old Lee Westwood will go out and play every session?

I don't ... YOU'RE THE ONE THAT WROTE IT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forged4ever said:

You both are spot on, as he's got ALL of the physical tools and talent to dominate, much more than e has and more so than many of the guys who are ranked above him!!

I'll say it again as Berger is a prime example of what I constantly chirp about though it is rarely mentioned on this board, unless it's one of @rangersgoalie's or @isaacbm's posts, and that is that at this level, under the gun, it's 💯 MENTAL!!!

THAT is what separates the very top Champions from the Bergers of the Tour and THAT is what Berger is lacking.

One round, one shot, one putt, Under the gun, for all the marbles???

C'mon, would you lay you monthly mortgage on him????

Great posts and superb point Tates👊

Stay Well🍻

RP

What I was saying ... just Richard said it better ... as usual.

• Thanks 1

This guy thinks not

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

1 hour ago, JaNelson38 said:

This isnt a 4-round, stroke play event.  This is match play.  And Berger has every exact quality you want - long, straight, GIR machine, birdie machine.  

Quite frankly, if there is someone who should be playing all 5 matches on the US side, its a guy like Berger.  He, Morikawa, and JT  - the best all-around ball strikers on the team - should be playing every session.

See ... I disagree. Match play is almost like a mini-tournament each round. You have that pressure building every match. Morikawa and JT have proven what they do with pressure. Berger, with all the tools, has proven what he does with pressure in 8 years. Maybe he'll show something different in this years event. That's why they play the matches on grass and not paper!

• Like 1

So who would be the opening fourball pairings for the US?

1. Spieth/JT is a given

My guess for the other 3

2. DJ & Bryson- dream pairing on long course, would humiliate Euro pairing off tee

3. Cantlay & Morikawa- precision meets precision, even if both are rookies

4. Koepka & Finau- had success as a pairing in 2018

• Like 1

birdiepercentage.png.c2e20924cbd5b49895563264f900acf5.png

I think birder percentage is important for match play. Here is the birdie percentage for the top 21 players on the PGA. US team has 12 in the top 21. Europe has 3 in the top 21. 5 other Americans in the top 21 not on the team. Only 1 international player in the top 21.

I wonder if we have data on who plays better under pressure situations?

3 hours ago, tatertot said:

LOL no his hands aren't wrecked.  He's just being dramatic.  What does worry me is that he's modifying his mechanics to go faster right before Ryder Cup.  Is he going to get lower scores or longer drives?  Maybe both?  Maybe only long drives.  

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

1 hour ago, khalespace said:

birdiepercentage.png.c2e20924cbd5b49895563264f900acf5.png

I think birder percentage is important for match play. Here is the birdie percentage for the top 21 players on the PGA. US team has 12 in the top 21. Europe has 3 in the top 21. 5 other Americans in the top 21 not on the team. Only 1 international player in the top 21.

I wonder if we have data on who plays better under pressure situations?

Thats all fantastic info but means absolutely squat for a Ryder cup, this has probably been the case for every Ryder cup for about 25 years

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

I have been a fully signed up to the US winning this one and winning it by some distance. The past few days though thanks to Bryson, Brooks and Azinger and their issues being raised or flagged up, has me thinking that there are definitely going to be some issues for the US. I still think that they will win but I am not sure it will be a wide margin.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

4 hours ago, Superbrit said:

Thats all fantastic info but means absolutely squat for a Ryder cup, this has probably been the case for every Ryder cup for about 25 years

It would be interesting to know how the percentage of Ryder Cup holes that are won with birdie vs won with par. Are more holes won or lost? Is it more important to be aggressive and take holes, or to not give your opponent holes. Lots of annedotal answers, but wonder what the numbers tell us.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tatertot said:

It would be interesting to know how the percentage of Ryder Cup holes that are won with birdie vs won with par. Are more holes won or lost? Is it more important to be aggressive and take holes, or to not give your opponent holes. Lots of annedotal answers, but wonder what the numbers tell us.

While certainly there are always risk reward situations that need to be considered, it is always about making the best score you can. I look at it this way... every hole won with a par would also have been won with a birdie but the opposite is most certainly not true 🙂

14 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

I have been a fully signed up to the US winning this one and winning it by some distance. The past few days though thanks to Bryson, Brooks and Azinger and their issues being raised or flagged up, has me thinking that there are definitely going to be some issues for the US. I still think that they will win but I am not sure it will be a wide margin.

Bro, I got $2,000 on the Euros counting my $500 with @CasualLie, and I'm definitely gonna put more down over the weekend😂😂😂

This is gonna be beautiful!!!! 

Greatest Ryder Cup of this century, though if Brooksy makes amends with the idiot golf savant and then gets to catch some mid morning, early afternoon 💤's, I'm probably screwed😜😂🤪

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/golf-world-reacts-to-brooks-koepkas-honest-admission/amp

Seriously Bro, we couldn't make this sh*t up if we pounded pints🍺at the pub and went brain dead🧠 😂😂

Stay Well🍻

RP

AFEC152F-9200-4306-B19C-41E369BF7C35.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

8 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

Seriously Bro, we couldn't make this sh*t up if we pounded pints🍺at the pub and went brain dead🧠 😂😂

Stay Well🍻

RP

I genuinely wonder if Brooks and Bryson have been doing just that for too much 😂

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 9/16/2021 at 12:37 AM, Tpfol said:

So who would be the opening fourball pairings for the US?

1. Spieth/JT is a given

My guess for the other 3

2. DJ & Bryson- dream pairing on long course, would humiliate Euro pairing off tee

3. Cantlay & Morikawa- precision meets precision, even if both are rookies

4. Koepka & Finau- had success as a pairing in 2018

What’s not to like there? But. . .

1. I could see 7 of the those playing in the first session in the morning foursomes. All but Bryson. I would leave him out because of the one ball issue and the desire to get him off to a good start playing his own ball. Less potential drama. Hopefully he will play good in the Fourball which could lead to participation in both sessions on day 2. I imagine Stricker will play all 12 players on day 1. (If they are healthy and hitting it decent.) If so, only 4 will play in both sessions on day 1. 

2. I would have a straight GIR machine with Bryson. The shorter player hits first and can relax and free up Bryson off the tee as well as into the greens. And then he can be slightly more aggressive than decade suggests on his approaches. 
3. But most important- partners should like each other. Stricker should have all potential partner pairings by now.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

I just want Stricks to go in and tell the guys before they tee off on Day 1…”I guess there’s only one thing left to do…what’s that?…win the whole f’in thing.”

Brooks had some dumb comments, yeah. Bryson is prepping for long drive, dumb. People are crying about players being left out, grow up. Put everything aside and play for your country. I just want there to be a full team of guys wanting to kick Europe to the curb. Simple as. I don’t understand why playing a Ryder Cup seems so unimportant to some. I’d be all about it. I’d want every bit of every match. People make the comment that it’s just one or two guys who aren’t bought in or whatever but that’s one or two too many. It can ruin a team’s chemistry in a heartbeat. 

Europe has had our number 9 of the last 12 and just look at their team culture. It’s almost bred into them. You’ve got guys like Fleetwood who would rather win the Ryder Cup than a Major. Crazy, I know but that’s their motivation. I think not having Reed might hurt but he had health issues so I get it. Billy Ho might have been the answer to Poults but who knows. Them having Mr. Ryder Cup is tough. I know there’s a chance he may be off this year but it is the Ryder Cup and Poulter is unbelievable. 

I honestly think the only way we win at Whistling this year is if we’re on fire on the greens. It’s going to come down to sinking putts. I hope we win on home soil. The one thing that is interesting to me is that I have a feeling the course won’t benefit either team. I think it’ll actually level the playing field instead of the usual setups here that suit our players.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

18 hours ago, mark m said:

What’s not to like there? But. . .

1. I could see 7 of the those playing in the first session in the morning foursomes. All but Bryson. I would leave him out because of the one ball issue and the desire to get him off to a good start playing his own ball. Less potential drama. Hopefully he will play good in the Fourball which could lead to participation in both sessions on day 2. I imagine Stricker will play all 12 players on day 1. (If they are healthy and hitting it decent.) If so, only 4 will play in both sessions on day 1. 

2. I would have a straight GIR machine with Bryson. The shorter player hits first and can relax and free up Bryson off the tee as well as into the greens. And then he can be slightly more aggressive than decade suggests on his approaches. 
3. But most important- partners should like each other. Stricker should have all potential partner pairings by now.

Dont they begin with fourball play though? 

5 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

Dont they begin with fourball play though? 

I believe it’s up to the home team and it’s going to be foursomes. (Europe chose Fourball in the past.) The US needs a good start. 

875BBD8F-D8A6-4F6B-873C-20E9FEE9D0BE.jpeg

Edited by mark m
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5