LW for chipping from the rough

KIllerswing1

my Home course has small Greens and rough just a few meters from the Greens.

i use the Ping eye 2 XG ( 60”) but i cannot stop Chips from the rough with this club.

Which lw would you recommend for these kind of shots, that still has some forgiveness ?

i have been thinking about the glide 3,0.

will the wide sole be bad from the rough compared to the standard sole ?

Do you have other better solutions ?

Cleveland Smart Sole SW is good for greenside rough pitch shots. Chip shots are played from fairway lies with 9-iron-8, 7, 6 etc... 

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I would get something with a good amount of bounce. The thing is the wedge you have should be a pretty good tool for the job, although some fresh grooves may help a smidge. 

I would consider two things. 1.  Your technique, if you can’t hold the green with a Eye2 60 then you must be playing the ball way back in your stance and delofting it or something.  2. Try a 64* wedge. They aren’t for everyone but maybe in your circumstances it would be a good fit. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Depending on how the rough is and how the ball is sitting in the rough, adequate spin may not be possible. Also, if you are truly looking to “chip” and not fly it over a bunker, to a short sided pin for example, a 60 may not be a great choice. For certain touch chips around the green, the ball can slide more up the face of a 60 so experiment with lofting down, using more of the toe instead of center of club face, and using more of a putting stroke. Obviously these things are all situationally dependent based on how the ball is sitting, slope of greens, and where the pin is 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ball is typically going to spin less, a lot less out of the rough so your expectations may be somewhat unrealistic.  Going to require landing it in the right spot and hoping it doesn't roll out too far.  I would say a wide sole wedge will be best for getting the club through the thick stuff, though.  Vokey K grind, the Ping WS...  they will help get the ball out but you'll have to create some real speed and catch it just right to get a ball to spin back or even check up.  It's not impossible but more often than not, its going to move forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

2 hours ago, KIllerswing1 said:

i use the Ping eye 2 XG ( 60”) but i cannot stop Chips from the rough with this club.

Which lw would you recommend for these kind of shots, that still has some forgiveness ?

Spin will always be reduced from the rough. Bounce is “generally” your friend, but I find getting more launch is better from rough since you can’t rely on spin to stop the ball. For most people, a bigger wider sole wedge gets caught up more in heavy rough. I would actually recommend a smaller, thinner sole wedge with less bounce. A glide 3.0 60* in TS or SS, Vokey in S grind, or Zipcore in mid grind would be good options. As far as technique, use your same swing, but open the face at address. This will do two things, 1 it adds loft so the shot will land softer and 2 it adds a little bounce to stop it from digging too much. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

*Generally* chips from around 10 yards only create 1000-1400 RPM’s of spin, which isn’t enough to stop any ball dead with any legal club. The only way is an open face lob shot, which may or may not be possible, though usually high risk at any rate.

That said, some clubs are better than others. If your conditions tend to be damp, a Glide3 will give you much more spin. If your impacts aren’t always perfect, Zipcore’s maintain spin very well and also do well in damp conditions. Your Eye2’s are mostly intended as sand wedges, and have a great deal of bounce. A lower bounce may also help.

• Like 2

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Glide 3.0 is a good choice if you want some forgiveness. I have the Eye2 grind in 54, 56, 60 and swap them depending on the details. I find it a versatile grind, great out of sand and works for me from the rough. 

Of course it depends on how much you practice a given shot. I don’t play rounds that often but pitch/chip/putt most every day and that has lowered my bad chip ratio way down. I also had CBX 2, prefer the G3, ymmv.

more into on the G3 grinds 

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Me tinks you’re really talking about a small pitch that’s low than a chip. 
CONSISTENT speed (IMO) will always net a consistent result(spin) in this case. Is your set up correct? Are you looking up to watch the results? Watching the club face get on the ball before you go to your follow through?

feel where the sole bottoms (bounce)out before you address the ball then hit? Lol 

a new wedge can help tbh but a consistent and active technique will always trump any club in your hand. 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Another vote for a Glide 3 Eye2 58 or 60. I use the 58 all around the greens and it is great coming out of the dense Florida rough. I feel it provides maximum spin and forgiveness although as others have said, coming out of the rough is gonna drag that spin down. 

I love the 58* Eye 2 for full swings. Great club for 80 yards and under. 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

If you're only a meter or two off the green and trying to chip it only a few meters from in the rough, I don't know that getting much spin is possible.

If sitting in greenside rough and short sided (which is what it sounds like you are describing, I'm playing to just get it out of the deep stuff and let the ball roll out. 

• Like 1

Like others have said if you are in reasonably thick rough generating enough spin to stop the ball may be just not possible.  When approaching any chip shot the lie is going to dictate what shot is possible.  In thick rough where I don’t have a good lie, spin is not in the equation that I use.  If I can play it back in my stance and let it run out then that is what I choose (not how I prefer to hit chip shots but if you have a bad lie then this may be the best option possible).  If I need to stop the ball quickly then I’m likely to have to use height to stop it.  In bad rough this means playing it almost like a bunker shot/short flop shot.  I prefer not to this one as it is highly punitive if you don’t execute it perfectly and much more difficult to judge, in my opinion.
 Unless it is sitting really nicely, and I can hit it without grass between the club and the ball, I am not trying to get it to check or spin.  It seems very unlikely that the club is the limiting factor (although I’m always a fan of buying a new club so do that because it is fun, just don’t expect miracles)

14 minutes ago, billybaroo said:

trying to chip it only a few meters from in the rough, I don't know that getting much spin is possible.

Two things help stop a ball landing on the green: backspin and descent angle. As bb said, supershort shots just don't spin that much. Next thing is to get the ball up high, but many golfers find it scary to launch a ball above head-high for a 15-yard shot. A shot with steep descent angle rolls less than one with a shallower angle. (That's why in drivers, too steep a descent angle can cost you rollout yardage, which you want.

And, @KIllerswing1, you say you are chipping the ball. By classic definition, a chip shot goes airborne to get onto the green, but then rolls most of the way to the cup. A chip shot requires a lower takeaway, and a pitch shot requires a higher, hinged takeaway. 

2 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Spin will always be reduced from the rough. Bounce is “generally” your friend, but I find getting more launch is better from rough since you can’t rely on spin to stop the ball. For most people, a bigger wider sole wedge gets caught up more in heavy rough. I would actually recommend a smaller, thinner sole wedge with less bounce.

Not all rough is created equal. For me, greenside LW works best from first-cut or so rough with fairly smooth texture. If it's 6 inches thick and uneven, you may do better with a lower-lofted SW. This lessens the chance you will hit under the ball, or get a high-face shot with low spin. Also revisit @hurley999s, above.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 8/8/2021 at 5:12 AM, KIllerswing1 said:

If you’re in the rough, you’re going to have to stop the ball more with trajectory, rather than spin. 

Personally when there’s thick green side rough I try to swing with 90% rotation so I can power through rough with flatter angle of attack and try to pop the ball up high. Alternatively you can come into the ball with a steeper angle of attack. I rarely use this method, but will go with it if I really need some spin. 

I think a higher bounce glide 3.0 will work with both techniques: as it’s what I have. My guess something with a little more preworn leading edge would be easier with the first technique. Also, shorter blade length wedges will go through the rough easier. 

Edited by Fairways_and_Greens
  • Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

As ChipnRun states, not all rough is created equal. This is one thing that is personal, a combination of your own technique and how the club reacts (design, grind,bounce).

I am in the NE where we tend to have thick bent grass, not super firm ground. Bounce works bit it also can sit up resulting in higher face strikes. I have been very happy with the high toe PM Grind where if you hit the ball up on the face a bit when opening the club, there still is sufficient mass to get the ball going.

Other 60's I have used before a high strike felt dead, producing a very weak shot.

Lots of great wedges out there you just have to assess how you play the shot and what would work best for you to help elevate the pitch a bit more. 

Generally people aren't looking to 'stop' chip shots out of the greenside rough, but more playing a landing spot and judging roll out like a putt.  

Then comes in user ability to manipulate the club to hit a variety of shots depending on what is needed.

For getting it out of the crap, I've been quite happy with the TM Hi-Toe as the large face is certainly more forgiving than a "regular" wedge profile and will save more strikes out on the toe with open faces.

A Revolving Door

21 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Generally people aren't looking to 'stop' chip shots out of the greenside rough, but more playing a landing spot and judging roll out like a putt.  

Then comes in user ability to manipulate the club to hit a variety of shots depending on what is needed.

For getting it out of the crap, I've been quite happy with the TM Hi-Toe as the large face is certainly more forgiving than a "regular" wedge profile and will save more strikes out on the toe with open faces.

One of my friends is this way…doesn’t really register with him that rough = lower spin, whether a chip or an approach iron. 

His understanding of chipping and bounce is flawed. He watched Phil’s hinge and hold movies, but his interpretation of it is really exaggerated. He sets up to chips with a ton of shaft lean, hinges, then stabs down at the ball while completely holding off the wrists on the way down and comes into the ball with leading edge…he’ll hit a line drive a foot off the ground that lands pin high, and rolls off the green, but he is adamant that he’s just not getting enough spin to stop it. 😂

• Like 1

ProV1x has no issues spinning around the green, so unless your wedge is completely worn the lie will dictate how much spin you can put on it. If you can't get the club cleanly on the back of the ball you need to play for some release. You can open the face more to get some more trajectory on it. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Not even close for me--the Callaway PM grind 60 degree is easily the best wedge I've ever hit from greenside rough. I know the looks of this club aren't for everyone, but I've had all three iterations and they've all made short work of short game challenges, especially sand or greenside rough (just open it up, play it like a bunker shot, and the PM grind does the rest)...

• Thanks 1

sounds like you play my course. 

for my short sided things I open the wedge and swing so that the head is releasing at the ball as my hands arrive, a little short sided lob thing.  This requires bit of practice or purchasing a Cleveland rtx mid 60º raw with the Spinner shaft one or the other.

I did both and can get close far more often than the old bump run just hard enough to clear the rough.  It's rare to get the bounce I play for when landing in the fringe.   

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.