Is PXG going out of business?

golfnhack

On 9/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, GoGoErky said:

It was and if anyone wants to understand more listen to the no putts given podcast where he was one of the hosts. He talks about how he does things and why

That podcast made me interested in PXG. I hadn't really considered them. I knew they came out and they were very expensive. I knew Bryson played them. I only knew one guy in our men's league who has them...though he absolutely loves them.

Bob prides himself on being an industry disruptor. And I can see where that can be frustrating to OEMs and companies alike. His business model gives him a lot more flexibility in pricing than other OEMs.  The lack of a middle man means he can discount clubs on a whim without it screwing the retailer. That's great for us as consumers. The flip side of that is we have expectations of how new equipment should depreciate. Nobody wants to see a club they paid X for heavily discounted a few months after release. It makes you feel like you wasted your money. For every customer who happily jumped on the summer sale, I'm sure there are golfers to feel they got screwed.

I'll admit that I'm a lot more willing to experiment when a driver is $299 and has a money back guarantee. As others have said, drivers haven't changed that much in the last few years.  Which makes it hard to drop $500+ on the latest and greatest.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I played a round with PXG irons a couple of years ago. (Just sort of wanted to see what the hype was about - a friend lent them to me). 

Found them - well, mediocre. Nothing really special that would justify the prices. Mind you, it isn't like they are terrible, just that I would take Mizuno, Titleist or Ping irons over PXG.

Just an individual preference. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I currently play the Gen 0311P irons and can say they are the best irons I have owned.  Previously I’ve played the Taylor Made P790’s and Srixon 585. The PXG has better dispersion and distance control than either of these. They feel better as well. At today’s price they are a bargain and anyone interested in new irons should give them a try. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GFish said:

I am really disappointed how PXG devalues their current generation of irons, drivers and Sugar Daddy wedges.  Really bad business practice and I doubt I will purchase their product again.   Makes you wonder if they have financial issues.  Premium companies like PXG once was, just don’t do that.  

I have a full set of everything current PXG and think I might be done with them.  I know most golf companies lower their prices, but not to the extent PXG has since Covid and it is even worse this year.   Sure operating like a company with financial issues and not one with the premium product.

I'm guessing that you paid more than what they're currently selling for?

• Haha 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

28 minutes ago, Lefty87 said:

Their premium products (irons and wedges) are still more expensive than almost anything else out there, even with the discount. 

More importantly…why obsess so much over their pricing??? Do the clubs perform for you? That’s all that matters. If you’re mad that you bought the clubs at a higher price, just wait for the price to come down before you make your next purchase. Their pricing structure has been pretty consistent the last couple generations. 

43 minutes ago, 4bees said:

PXG doesnt have financial issues.  Parsons is a multi billionaire.  This is literally a hobby to him.  As it was said before in this thread (which I don't think you actually read thru), because of COVID and supply chain issues with major brands, he is capitalizing on this.  Lowering prices and getting people to come to him is genius.  I can almost guarantee that in the future you will not see price drops every 6 months or less.  Will be a yearly thing and will not be as steep as 50% off.  

This is pure marketing at its finest.  Capture as much of the market when the other brands cannot sustain their supply chain management.  If people are complaining about clubs not being worth what they paid for them, they shouldn't be playing golf, or hell buying cars.  You buy sticks because they make you better or make you more confident.  You do not buy them to worry about resale value 6 months from now when you think you need another set because you suck that bad.  

Like Bob has said, he'll gladly take the high-end money from the boys who need the newest toys when they're first released... If you haven't realized that by now, that's the "premium" cost you're actually paying to have them right out of the chute...

Edited by snagy2000
  • Like 3

I got in on the August special and picked up a driver, my first in 5 yrs (Cobra Amp was my gamer) and got it 5 days after ordering.  The Gen 4 X has a more muted sound than the Amp but the shot dispersion seems tighter and runs out a little more (95 ss, 8.2 index, carry about 200).

I don't think PXG is going out of business, just trying to increase market share; give people a taste of the product, then pull back discounts.

Edited by qtlaw
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I played a round with PXG irons a couple of years ago. (Just sort of wanted to see what the hype was about - a friend lent them to me). 

Found them - well, mediocre. Nothing really special that would justify the prices. Mind you, it isn't like they are terrible, just that I would take Mizuno, Titleist or Ping irons over PXG.

Just an individual preference. 

One could copy and paste your comment and insert any manufacturer in any spot you mentioned "PXG" and it could be true as well.

It comes down to preference and fit. Obviously, the PXG's you played did not fit you nor were they your preference.

• Like 1

I've never really been able to optimize PXG to fit my game, can't find the right shaft/heads etc. I did give their fitting a shot in Northbrook, and was having some low driver flight issues at the time. The fitter told me to tee it up higher and hit up on it. Uh no thanks to that advice, also he could have just handed me a 10.5 head over the 9.

Did have some casual weekend golfers that I played with jump on their deal last fall when the 0211s dropped to dirt cheap and they loved the process and are now probably PXGers for life. They were looking for new clubs and I mentioned it to them.  So while I will probably never buy from them again, they gained 5 customers forever. 

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

14 hours ago, Precis1on said:

I've never really been able to optimize PXG to fit my game, can't find the right shaft/heads etc. I did give their fitting a shot in Northbrook, and was having some low driver flight issues at the time. The fitter told me to tee it up higher and hit up on it. Uh no thanks to that advice, also he could have just handed me a 10.5 head over the 9.

Did have some casual weekend golfers that I played with jump on their deal last fall when the 0211s dropped to dirt cheap and they loved the process and are now probably PXGers for life. They were looking for new clubs and I mentioned it to them.  So while I will probably never buy from them again, they gained 5 customers forever. 

Not to go too off topic, but there was a recent industry study that showed teeing it up higher does increase carry and height. Just an FYI. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, FredZollner said:

One could copy and paste your comment and insert any manufacturer in any spot you mentioned "PXG" and it could be true as well.

It comes down to preference and fit. Obviously, the PXG's you played did not fit you nor were they your preference.

Don't get your feelings hurt as not everyone will like PXG as I was fitted and I just thought they were ok, now maybe after the 5th or 6th round with them I may have adjusted into them better but seriously they are no better or no worse than your other leading brands out there. I'm not expecting the honeymoon phase with any set but the best set I have found is what I'm playing now as my Srixon ZX5's are safe. 

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Recommendations on a forgiving set from PXG? Thinking I'd like to try some out.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

On 9/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, newportbeach said:

Gen3 or Gen4 XP.  I recently was fit and the difference in yardage was 5 yards (Gen4 getting more becuase the lofts are slightly stronger).  If I were buying right now it would be the Gen3's.  The difference in yardage is not something I care about, since I was hitting a 7 iron 180 (which is ridiculous).  Not to mention the savings of about $1100 was also a no brainer.

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5*

Stealth+ 3W

Stealth+ 5W

Honma TR20V 5-GW

Edel SMS 54/58

Custom Built Putter by Myself

On 9/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, newportbeach said:

I have 0311 Gen3 Ps and they are at least as forgiving as anything I have ever played which were mostly i seris Pings or Mizuno JPX Tours lines.

My son has the 0211 DC and they are even more forgiving, however if you order those I would get the lofts decreased one or two degrees, they are stupid strong.  Unless you need stupid strong lofts that is.

I haven't hit the XP but I am sure they are incredibly forgiving.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

23 minutes ago, Hstead said:

I have 0311 Gen3 Ps and they are at least as forgiving as anything I have ever played which were mostly i seris Pings or Mizuno JPX Tours lines.

My son has the 0211 DC and they are even more forgiving, however if you order those I would get the lofts decreased one or two degrees, they are stupid strong.  Unless you need stupid strong lofts that is.

I haven't hit the XP but I am sure they are incredibly forgiving.

Would the P be comparable to the i series and the T be comparable to Ping’s S series or iBlades?

4 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Would the P be comparable to the i series and the T be comparable to Ping’s S series or iBlades?

I have the P in 4-PW and bought the T Gap Wedge.  The T is definitely smaller.  The P is very very similar to the Ping i series.  I replaced i210s with this set and was primarily an i Series player having played five sets of them.  The 0311 P is better, but a lot IMHO.  My buddy has the Ping Blue Prints and I have hit them.  They are significantly smaller than the P, and probably a little smaller than the T.  I would say the S series though is slightly larger than the Blue Prints and similar to the T.

If I had it to do over, I would have bought the P in the Gap.  I just like them a little better.  I am around scratch most of the time.  So I can hit the T, but I just don't see the need when the P is so forgiving and so good.  They are slightly larger, but you get used to the look real fast and the long irons are stupid easy to elevate and hit long.

Edited by Hstead

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

14 minutes ago, Hstead said:

I have the P in 4-PW and bought the T Gap Wedge.  The T is definitely smaller.  The P is very very similar to the Ping i series.  I replaced i210s with this set and was primarily an i Series player having played five sets of them.  The 0311 P is better, but a lot IMHO.  My buddy has the Ping Blue Prints and I have hit them.  They are significantly smaller than the P, and probably a little smaller than the T.  I would say the S series though is slightly larger than the Blue Prints and similar to the T.

If I had it to do over, I would have bought the P in the Gap.  I just like them a little better.  I am around scratch most of the time.  So I can hit the T, but I just don't see the need when the P is so forgiving and so good.  They are slightly larger, but you get used to the look real fast and the long irons are stupid easy to elevate and hit long.

Thanks. I was thinking of going 4-6 in P and the rest of the set (7-GW) in T. 

Edited by ilikegolf26
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Thanks. I was thinking of going 4-6 in P and the rest of the set (7-GW) in T. 

I didn't get fit and bought the 0311's sight unseen.  That made me a little nervous.  I googled images and searched for any comparison to Pings I could find.  I wore the tech guy out a PXG with questions because I just didn't know if I wanted the P or T.  I am glad I went P and wished I had the whole set in P instead of the T gap wedge.  Hope that helps.  If you played i series, you won't be disappointed in the P short irons.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

9 minutes ago, Hstead said:

I didn't get fit and bought the 0311's sight unseen.  That made me a little nervous.  I googled images and searched for any comparison to Pings I could find.  I wore the tech guy out a PXG with questions because I just didn't know if I wanted the P or T.  I am glad I went P and wished I had the whole set in P instead of the T gap wedge.  Hope that helps.  If you played i series, you won't be disappointed in the P short irons.

I’d be moving from s55s to these and played s56s before those so all I’ve played for the last ~10-11 years are Ping s series. 

43 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

I’d be moving from s55s to these and played s56s before those so all I’ve played for the last ~10-11 years are Ping s series. 

Tough call for you.  The P will be a little larger with a thicker top line and more bounce than the S series.  You may want to go T.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

I have 0311P Gen3s (6-P). I previously had Ping i200s. The Pings were more forgiving than the Ps. Missing the Ps on the toe can easily lose 10 to 15 yds. The i200s were generally 5 to 10 yds. 

The Ps look much smaller at address obviously. I ordered an XP 6 iron. I'll see how it stacks up to the P shortly. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0