Using a staff bag (as a non-staffer)

Using Staff Bag as Non-Staff Player  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This reminds me of the old debate of playing blades and not being elite at striking, or... the forbidden iron covers. 

So a guy rolls up with a staff bag to place in a riding cart or push cart but obviously isn't a professional. Cardinal sin or who cares? 

Rogue ST Max LS | Ventus Black 6x

Rogue ST LS | Ventus Red 7x

Epic Speed | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

T200/T100 Combo | PX LZ 6.5

Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 58* | S400 Ti

PXG Brandon 

You're asking if someone else's type of golf bag would bother me? If so, there needs to be a poll response for "You gotta be kidding".

If the question is whether me using a staff bag would be a problem, I can't imagine wanting such a huge, bulky thing to deal with.

The only kind of golf bag I have a problem with someone else using is the kind with a Bluetooth speaker hanging on it blaring noise. 

• Like 4

You do you. Want a staff bag? Go for it. 

They are annoying as hell to use though. Heavy. Access is difficult when it’s on a cart. Often won’t fit well on a cart. 

I have one. It looks good in the corner of my office, and it has not moved in many a year. 

• Like 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

I own several and feel no shame in using them occasionally instead of my usual pencil bag. Nowadays they're mostly relegated to club storage duties however.

As long as your name's not emblazoned on it, use away, I say.

• Haha 1

Old Nike woods with blue shafts, 712Us and a bagful of 681s, two rusty old Vokey SM5s, an Eye 2 Gorge L wedge and an Anser 2

I find it more interesting that companies have turned people into walking banners for their logos on everything - hats, shirts, bags, gloves, etc.

I took a vow a few years ago to stop being a shill. It’s not about the money, but why should anyone pay $27 for a hat with a PING, Titleist, Srixon logo when the same hat from the same factory with no logo is $5.99?

Your choice, of course, but I had enough of being played.

It’s just more crap of life today . . .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Soloman1 said:

I find it more interesting that companies have turned people into walking banners for their logos on everything - hats, shirts, bags, gloves, etc.

I took a vow a few years ago to stop being a shill. It’s not about the money, but why should anyone pay $27 for a hat with a PING, Titleist, Srixon logo when the same hat from the same factory with no logo is $5.99?

The sane reason someone would wear a hat with their favorite baseball team or company logo they work for. They want to show who they like and represent with their products and support. 

• Thanks 1

I'd say it's stupid (for many of the practical reasons listed above), but it doesn't really bother me. I don't get angry over it. 

No answer in the poll to capture that sentiment. 

• Thanks 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Just now, jholz said:

I'd say it's stupid (for many of the practical reasons listed above), but it doesn't really bother me. I don't get angry over it. 

No answer in the poll to capture that sentiment. 

Completely agree with this.

Although I couldn't care less what type of bag someone has, I do find it a bit ridiculous when I see Joe Schmo walking around with a staff bag. Especially when he's struggling to even be able to get that monstrosity out of his trunk 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soloman1 said:

It's all a big nothing.   Just like it always has been and always will be.  No will care at our funerals if our hats had a logo or not.  The obituaries will say that we were avid golfers.  There will be no mention of our equipment affiliations.  

There's a part of me that thinks they look really cool and as a member of a private club, I always appreciate guys who go the extra mile to get that high-class look. 

There's also a part of me that knows from experience how impractical staff bags are for 1,000 reasons. So I always wonder whether someone is learning the hard way that staff bags aren't the way to go or if they're actually so conceited they're on like, their 5th staff bag and refuse to give up. 

SIM (10.5o) (Diamana Blueboard)
M6 (17o / 210) (Diamana Blueboard)

zX (4-5) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (6-P) (Nippon Modus3)
SM6 50-F / 56-F / 60-S
Odyssey 2-Ball

As has been pointed out, staff bags function as designed when they are carried (by somebody else). Cart bag is infinitely better for using a cart or a pushcart.  

One time a guy rolled up to the resort I've been a caddie at with a full size staff bag and refused to change it into a carry bag. We carry two bags, so 3 caddies had to be sent for that foursome because the staff bag was all that one caddie can carry. He didn't pay a dime extra and two caddies made half their normal day because of it. That's some nonsense. 

• Like 2

I've got 3 of them... they look cool in the basement... but they don't see the course. What a hassle

As far as the poll goes, I don't really care what kind of bag you roll up with

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

3 Iron: Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

Irons (5-PW): Srixon 765 w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Black, 60º Hand Ground Tour Issue Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I live about 20 seconds from my club and bought a golf cart a few years ago. Aside from traveling to tourneys or vacation I use a staff bag on the cart.

• Like 1

g410lst  KKXD 70TX

m4 17hl TZ6 M5 85

NLU01 18° VBHB 9X

u85 20° 23°  px 6.0 io

5-P iBlades S300 120g

52.5° Jaws Forged S300 120g

SM7 57.15F 61.11S S300

o works 7s

Staff bag evokes a mild eye roll. Just like iron covers or white pants.

But a much bigger offense is having your name on your bag, be it staff or otherwise. 

• Like 1

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I still use my 20 year old staff bag with my name on it. I always use a cart and honestly it's not that big of a deal. If someone has a problem with it then it's their issue not mine. 

• Haha 2

Driver:  Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei AV White 65 S

4 Wood: Titleist TSi2 16.5* Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

Utility: Titleist T-200 3 Iron PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Irons: Titleist T-100s Project X LZ 6.0 4-P

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50/08F SM8 54/10S, 58/14K

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5 33"

Ball: Pro V1

I must be "that guy".   I really enjoy the ease of extracting a club from my bag without shifting, prodding and pulling just to untangle my clubs.   Staff bags are good, my  choice, even one has my name on it.  🙂    Carry bags are the devil, Sunday bags are for 4 club setups.   And I used to play balata's.   I find that 'blades' slide so much easier in and out of a staff bag than any other bag that I won/own.  

Carry On!

• Haha 1

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

When I was in school and working at a club, a tour professional who started on the "Tommy Armour" tour gifted me a TA Tuffhorse staff bag complete with my name on it. Impractical to say the least for the many reasons above, it did serve me well for two years as a cart bag with the 845s I was playing. Fast forward 30 years later, it has held up well in my office and now in my house along with the TA 845 2 iron, driver with TA fuzzy headcover, and old Odyssey putter that currently reside in it. It was the grey, white and blue bag that Davis and Freddy had and it was a beast. The best thing about it was the 13" top that allowed plenty of room for your clubs. The worst thing about it was that is took up way too much room in the car. 

I haven't seen any staff bags that big in a long time, and I really don't care. I never used one after I worked at the club either as its just too big to be practical. The mini staff bags are not the same thing in my eyes, but again, I really don't care. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cobra LTDx 9* Tour AD XC-6 TX, Rad Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* EvenFlow White 6.0  

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, 58/10* S, S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, ProV1  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a staff bag being used out in the wild. 

I do sometimes run across someone with what looks like a rental club setup, with every club in the bag from the same generation of the same brand.  I guess that’s alright if it works. Chances are there’s at least one club from some other brand that would be a better fit for the player but whatever. 

Where I notice brand loyalty taken to extremes is in bluegrass picking circles. There are many out there who think anything but a Martin guitar or a Gibson mandolin is settling for less than the best. This hasn’t been true for decades but then most of these guys haven’t gone instrument shopping for decades either. 

Callaway Rogue Max LS 9.0/HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Epic Speed 4 wood

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon Z765 on Steelfiber FC115

Srixon 785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54/10 and 58/6

Cleveland Huntington Beach 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Ex caddie here. Carrying two bags was the way to make bank, and I worked some really rough setups, usually for customer golf, but almost never moved clubs out of a guest’s bag. A memorable exception was a guest using an ancient leather mini-staff with no strap. He had a length of rope 😳 in place of the strap. Zero chance I was packing that sack!

Double bagging two leather Burtons always sucked. Beast of a bag, and carrying two was no fun. I often had an 11” or even a 13” staff bag on one shoulder and a Ping L8 or OG Jones on the other. Never attempted two full staff bags, F that, though I did see it done a handful of times. Point is, staff bags suck. They are great advertising, look cool, and are great to collect, but I’ll never use one for play. 

I also recall those TA ruffhorse staff bags. Must have weighed over 25 lb. Empty. 😮

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

I purchased a full sized taylormade staff bag a few years ago and I have every intention of using it when riding on a cart.  However I couldn't bring myself to actually use it.  It was awesome and all the room was really nice, especially the lack of any club tangle.  That being said I felt like it was just going to be a hassle lugging it around and also didn't look like it'd fit on a cart well anyways.  I ended up selling it and never gaming it.  I have no issue with anyone else using one just wasn't for me.  Name on it without being a pro is a bit much but do you.

https://shop.sunmountain.com/2022-tour-series-cart-bag-detail

I just bought myself one of these since I will use my BatCaddy electric push cart or just throw on a cart (I haven't carried since the 3 weeks I played in college).  This is an odd kinda staff bag but made out of stand bag material.  I mostly want it because it looks like it will be more evenly weighted for the push cart so it doesn't track to one side like it does right now with my 3.5.

Stealth 9* - SIM2 15* - G425 4i & 5i (powerspec) - i525 6-U (6i 1* strong) - Glide 3.0 54*/58* - SM8 62* - F22

I'm still trying to figure out a 3h or 5w or DI but I hate them all so far...

I could care less if someone showed up and had them in a trash bag. Personal preference and play what you want, wear what you want according to the dress code and use what ever bag or carrying device you want.

Myself, I have ALWAYS had a staff bag. Just like the extra room and I never walk nor do I plan to ever walk. About 7 years ago I started playing the Jumbomax Ultralight XL grips. So luckily I like Staff Bags as it would be a PIA getting the clubs out of a regular or even a cart bag.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥

HYBRIDS-  PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 4 Xtreme Dark 0311XP 5 - GW | MMT 80 Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️
BAG -           Vessel Prime Staff Bag
BALLS -      Bridgestone BXS / Pro V1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, bnperrone said:

As has been pointed out, staff bags function as designed when they are carried (by somebody else). Cart bag is infinitely better for using a cart or a pushcart.  

One time a guy rolled up to the resort I've been a caddie at with a full size staff bag and refused to change it into a carry bag. We carry two bags, so 3 caddies had to be sent for that foursome because the staff bag was all that one caddie can carry. He didn't pay a dime extra and two caddies made half their normal day because of it. That's some nonsense. 

A friend of mine works at a top tier club in the area that is mainly walking with a caddy program.  Someone showed up with a staff bag loaded to the gills.  Caddiemaster said they would transfer his clubs into a walking bag for his round.  He stated he wanted to use his bag to which the caddy master asked if he wanted to play the golf course today and if he did he would be using the bag provided.