What Makes an Intimidating Bag of Clubs?

ashpga

Older bag, single strap sunday bag, with an old white hotel towel what is stained from all the range dirt. 

Fairly new driver with an upgraded shaft. 

old fairway wood with lots I’d wear 

2 or 3 iron. 

Forged Mb or CB irons that are chattered up and have wear spots in the middle. 

Well used gap and sand wedge with a freshly replaced 60*

older Scotty or oddesey putter with a standard grip. 

Non matching headcovers

Edited by Kale_m
  • Like 2

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

1 hour ago, Double Dodger said:

He didn’t say the most expensive bag….

But to play along, my radar goes up when I see some guy on the putting green with an ancient 8802 with rust on the shaft where their bag has rubbed the chrome off. 

This topic is so WRXer. 

LOL.... I'm far from the most expensive! 

this is kinda funny cause I play the most important amateur competitions in Italy, my bag (and my game) is old school, it happened more than once that 20yo guys reached up after the round telling they wouldn’t have given me 2 cents after a look at my clubs which may be olden then them…

Woods: it’s most about headcovers, can’t see what’s underneath…

-no brand knit or leather covers are intimidating, stealth/rogue/tsi headcovers are not.

-no more than 3 headcovers on the wood/hybrid side.

-as for the driver, 910/913 d3, r7 tp, ft tour, razr xtreme, xhot/xr pro, i15/i20…I play the r7 425tp with white/navy knit headcover.

-as for fairway woods, the same heads as drivers, with a heavy old graphite shaft..actually I’m playing the original launcher with hm40 as 3W and the 906 f2 with dg x100 as 5W..

Hybrids:

-everything in the first generation players hybrid, rescue tp, adams prototype, titleist 585…paired with a nv green, vs proto, pl red or v2.

Irons:

-the latest release of whichever forged blade / players cavity with brown spot is intimidating, that player must practice a lot.

-older forged are not.

-older cast can be very intimidating, especially if dci 990/962 which have conforming grooves, they last so long durability is not an issue.

After testing a lot of new irons, I keep going back to the 962s, I gave up the 2i for the 5W

Wedges:

-vokey or 588, not too old as they’re not conforming, from spin milled cc to the latest versions, ALWAYS raw with some rust spots, but not covered by rust.

Putter:

-for sure not scotty cameron or boutique brands.

Ping and odyssey are the brands (NOT milled and not with graphite shafts), no matter if blades or mallets. 

Bag:

-stand bag with a 2 wheeled pull cart.

Ball:

-pro v1 or pro v1x 

Apparel:

-pretty much average, no luxury brands

Shoes:

-no Footjoy classics or handmade shoes.

• Like 2

Driver: R7 425 tp 10,5* w/ px blue 6.5

3 Wood: 906 f2 15* w/ hm40 x

Irons: dci962 #2-pw w/ dg s400

Wedges: vokey sm4 raw S grind 56.11-60.07 w/ dg s400

Putter: B60 stainless 

On 2/6/2023 at 5:02 PM, BIG STU said:

Thanks man but I am not all that intimidating anymore. 65 Yoa with a broken back. I do not hit it that far any more about 225 or so with the driver. My home course I vary from like 75 to maybe 82 hitting from 5500 at sea level. I play what I play because that is basically what I have played all my life. 

Stu you’re my kind of guy…it sure sucks to get old. I hit the big 70 this year and I’m in the same boat as you. The body is giving out due to the riggers of my college hockey days and so much golf. I’m hitting it about the same distance as you and playing at 6300 at my club but still carrying under a 5 index and beating my kids which drives them nuts! Might be the year to drop another iron and add another hybrid! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

Iron headcovers!!!!, game over!!!!, won't play that guy for a penny...

• Haha 1

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Notwithstanding my prior post, the other day to my surprise, my Bag actually intimated a few guys. 

Two guys walked up towards the first tee as I stood on the tee looking down the hole.  They stopped at my bag on the cart... stood there for a few, walked up to me and asked me my handi.  I told them 4, why???  One guy said I like your clubs, but a 2 iron???  They looked at each other and one said, you're too good to play with us hacks.  I laughed and said, I got no problem playing with anyone as long you understand we play ready golf.  They kinda laughed and one of said, we understand it, but sometimes our balls don't...  We had a great round of golf, laughed a lot, nice guys.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

52 minutes ago, soulciccia said:

this is kinda funny cause I play the most important amateur competitions in Italy, my bag (and my game) is old school, it happened more than once that 20yo guys reached up after the round telling they wouldn’t have given me 2 cents after a look at my clubs which may be olden then them…

Woods: it’s most about headcovers, can’t see what’s underneath…

-no brand knit or leather covers are intimidating, stealth/rogue/tsi headcovers are not.

-no more than 3 headcovers on the wood/hybrid side.

-as for the driver, 910/913 d3, r7 tp, ft tour, razr xtreme, xhot/xr pro, i15/i20…I play the r7 425tp with white/navy knit headcover.

-as for fairway woods, the same heads as drivers, with a heavy old graphite shaft..actually I’m playing the original launcher with hm40 as 3W and the 906 f2 with dg x100 as 5W..

Hybrids:

-everything in the first generation players hybrid, rescue tp, adams prototype, titleist 585…paired with a nv green, vs proto, pl red or v2.

Irons:

-the latest release of whichever forged blade / players cavity with brown spot is intimidating, that player must practice a lot.

-older forged are not.

-older cast can be very intimidating, especially if dci 990/962 which have conforming grooves, they last so long durability is not an issue.

After testing a lot of new irons, I keep going back to the 962s, I gave up the 2i for the 5W

Wedges:

-vokey or 588, not too old as they’re not conforming, from spin milled cc to the latest versions, ALWAYS raw with some rust spots, but not covered by rust.

Putter:

-for sure not scotty cameron or boutique brands.

Ping and odyssey are the brands (NOT milled and not with graphite shafts), no matter if blades or mallets. 

Bag:

-stand bag with a 2 wheeled pull cart.

Ball:

-pro v1 or pro v1x 

Apparel:

-pretty much average, no luxury brands

Shoes:

-no Footjoy classics or handmade shoes.

What I gathered from this post is that you find yourself very intimidating 😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sparty4202 said:

Stu you’re my kind of guy…it sure sucks to get old. I hit the big 70 this year and I’m in the same boat as you. The body is giving out due to the riggers of my college hockey days and so much golf. I’m hitting it about the same distance as you and playing at 6300 at my club but still carrying under a 5 index and beating my kids which drives them nuts! Might be the year to drop another iron and add another hybrid! 

@BIG STU @Sparty4202 and I are in the same club; 70+yr old bodies that wreak havoc with our enjoyment.  I owe mine to crazy extreme training done in preparation for the rigors of in-country contractor adventures. LOL

Like Stu and you, I got enough game to make the youngsters wonder how the hell I still do it.  Recently, on a golf trip, wife and I teed it up at pvt club with a few members in their 40s.  Wind was blowing 2–4 clubs, I played the same blue tees, but didn't hit it as far; only I was always in the fairway and used 2 iron off many tees to bore though wind and carded 77, neither of them broke 80.  They bought lunch and drinks, and laughed as they questioned how I...  I couldn't tell them, their generation never learned how to set pain aside and enjoy running through hell to accomplish a goal.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

On 2/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, BIG STU said:

Look at my signature I am sorta close and yes I am Dr Lead Tape around here--- Now on the rusty Santa Fe I have a Superstroke 3 XL that is old and taped with medical tape. Towels can be tricky. I have so many I have won in club comps I use them but then again I have a bunch of blue stripe motel towels I buy by the pound at the local thrifts. I know someone is going to give me crap over the mini staff but it is one I carried years ago on the minis. I decided to use it again since I am not able to walk and got aggrevated with club tangle in my Jones or my old Hoofer riding a cart

Used to take towels from the hotels in High School, college, and minis. We always wondered what the maids thought about the old towels we'd swap out. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 3:42 PM, ashpga said:

Was having a discussion with a couple of my golfing buddies and we were trying to come up with the most “intimidating” bag setup. In other words, a bag to make you look like a scratch golfer. Here is what we came up with—curious to see what you guys think?

1. Ping Hoofer Bag. Bonus points if it is faded and has a T100 course logo on it.

2. Non-OEM Headcovers. Either leather or knit pom poms. Again, T100 course logo(s) are a bonus.

3. Season-Old Driver. Likely TaylorMade, Titleist or Callaway with an upgraded shaft.

4. Older Fairway Wood(s). Once you find one to trust, hard to knock out of the bag. Maybe a V Steel? 

5. Forged Cavity Back Irons. Mizuno is at the top of the list, followed by Titleist.

6. Vokey Wedges. Bonus points if they are raw finish and have S400 Tour Issue shafts.

7. Scotty Cameron. Controversial one. An older Newport or Newport 2 head with a well used PP58 or other pistol grip installed.

8. Towel. McArthur Wincraft Caddy towel draped over the irons with one side wet before the round.

*Checks my signature*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

I have rarely ever noticed a club that someone has played. My buddies make fun of me as they are heavy gearheads.

"Oh you notice he had a stealth 2 with a blibity booh shaft?!?"

"No but I noticed he made an easy birdie on one"

I can tell within a few swings if someone is gonna make my ego hurt out there lol. Usually its not dependent on the club he has or the headcover. 

I’m sorry but I think I disprove OPs point (and I have the stuff that’s not in my signature too) 😂

But also in my defence I have been playing for less than 12 months - so I choose to read this as I am destined for scratch!

Edited by iodje123
  • Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° w/ Ventus Red 6S
  • Ping G425 3H w/ Ventus HB Blue 7S
  • Srizon ZX MKII 3i w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 115 S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4i-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 115 S
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 - 50°12F 54°12D 58°12D w/ DG S200
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 2022

I don't find any bag intimidating. I do enjoy seeing what other people play with though, because I'm a club enthusiast. I guess it helps that I'm not going to play anybody for money.

• Like 4

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

AJGA Towel

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5LS MKII 9.5 degree- Graphite Design Tour ADI 6

Srixon ZX5 MKII 15 degree- Graphite Design Tour ADI 6

Srixon ZX MKII 19 degree- Graphite Design Tour ADI 75

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW- KBS Tour 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Tour Rack 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree- Dynamic TI Gold Spinner 115

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Select

Srixon Z Star XV

I played with a young man one time that had a bag full of irons and nothing else who could spank the ball 200+ yards. None of the rest matters because all I saw were irons.

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.

22 hours ago, southpaw72 said:

I haven’t been around as much and I’m so happy to see JP is still alive and well and the same JP

I check in here and there but not often these days. I saw a post last night where JP was still referring to himself in the third person and it just felt right somehow

• Like 1

These things are funny to read but some of them are tell tell signs a guy can score it. It’s not always the bag it can be the guy too. I hate golf clothing, golf hats, branded anything I’m as generic as it gets with those things. My clubs are a different story. Back 25 years ago when I was playing a ton of regional open tournaments as a club pro, I took a trip to Palm Springs to see my uncle. We went to play one day and I had my scruffy goatee with my denim shorts and t shirt on. We joined up with a twosome and on like the 5th hole after a nice drive on a very tough par 4, I just rifled a 4 iron from about 230 out to a couple feet. On the green the guys we were playing with came up and said they’d been trying to figure out what I did for a living. Construction? Factory work? The tan the rougher look. Then they said after watching that last shot it’s clearly evident you’ve played a ton of good golf. Still makes me laugh. Had a few of those reactions back then 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter