2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What’s the most nervous you’ve ever been playing golf?

SupSup99

Playing for 100 a hole last summer, my buddy roped me into it. 2 man teams, we were better than they were but it's too much money for me, it wasn't fun. The other 2 play for that much or more all the time, they are used to it. We won but I won't do it again, I was a nervous wreck.

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

Probably standing on the opening tee at my first LPGA pro-am back in 2002. There was always a crowd around the 1st and 10th tees. What made it worse is that they would announce each player, amateurs included. I don’t like being in front of any crowd, let alone one that’s about to watch me tee off. I remember all I could think was “don’t top the ball, don’t hit behind it, don’t slice it”. Basically all bad swing thoughts.

I did 12 more of them in the years after that, and while it got easier I can’t say that I was never not at least a little nervous over that first tee shot.

Edited by Roody
  • Like 3

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

10 hours ago, Roody said:

Probably standing on the opening tee at my first LPGA pro-am back in 2002. There was always a crowd around the 1st and 10th tees. What made it worse is that they would announce each player, amateurs included. I don’t like being in front of any crowd, let alone one that’s about to watch me tee off. I remember all I could think was “don’t top the ball, don’t hit behind it, don’t slice it”. Basically all bad swing thoughts.

I did 12 more of them in the years after that, and while it got easier I can’t say that I was never not at least a little nervous over that first tee shot.

Locust Hill? 

4 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Locust Hill? 

Yessir. What used to be the Rochester LPGA, then became the Wegmans LPGA, then the Wegmans LPGA Championship. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I tried a few times at the regional qualifying for the Open, years ago. The first time I went I was so nervous on the first tee even my eyeballs were shaking. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

First time on the tee box playing for my Varsity HS golf team.  We all had to hit in front of the whole team and coaches.  That moment is one the top of my Taylormade Burner driver will never forget 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I never get nervous golfing casually, not even teeing off in front of others. I think playing other sports competitively my whole life prepares you for that, and I also from the beginning had the understanding that golf is hard and I'm suppose to be bad at it! Lol

But I did experience real stress my first time playing in a city golf tournament! Woah competitive golf is a whole different animal! 

1st tee at The Old Course, it was lunchtime in the summer and must have been 20 golfers queuing and putting waiting to play, another 30 or 40 people milling about watching, played with 3 guys i didnt know, and we all had caddies!

I was nervous as hell for about 3 or 4 holes, and played like a dog, then birdied the 5th and played quite well for the rest of the round

Played it another 6 times over the years but never been as nervous as that day, and Still the best golfing day of my life

Probably the only time ive ever been nervous, although im playing in a 350 man comp at Carnoustie in May, id imagine that will change

Edited by Superbrit
  • Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

Got to play a private club I always wanted to play, first tee had the patio behind me and parking lot with all of those reserved parking spots a short 100 yard snap hook away. To add to that the lot was full due to a function so a pull shot under 200 was hitting a car. The host said aim left if anything, more space and if I slice goes onto 9th fairway, mind you I'm warmed up and swing felt good so I didn't go too far left. So what do I do? Have a nice easy swing and I hit the biggest draw of my life, I don't draw the ball but I did today. Luckily I avoided the parking lot and nerves were gone. 

16 hours ago, Blaiser said:

I asked my college crush to go hit balls at the driving range for our first "date" -- was shocked she said yes.

We get to the range, and before I hit the first ball she says "Okay Mr. Golfer, show me how it's done"

I've never been more nervous over a golf shot in my life.

Was there a second date? 

55 minutes ago, JunkerJorge said:

When I accidentally hit into a group of over-served good ole boys at a course in Utah. 

Duke's of Hazard theme starts playing 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

My first time I broke par on the 18th tee. I pared the first hole, birdied the second, and had 15 straight pars. I knew where I stood on the 18th, and one of my playing partners announced I would shoot under par if I pared 18. Our 18th is a par five with water right and left, and can be reached with 2 really good shots. I hit a 3 wood, and with a spasmy lunge, hit the fairway. After that, I settled down, and got my par.

• Like 1

Many years back first time playing in a Pro/Am with cameras nearby.

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

5 hours ago, Desert Golf said:

My most nervous round of golf was a casual round at a Palm Springs golf course.  I was paired up with another single who told me he was recently released from prison and was happy to be outside playing golf. 

He didn't tell me why he was in prison and I didn't ask, but I was pretty nervous with him riding next to me in the cart the first few holes.    

Was he part of the USGA's new "Fore-Fellons" golf initiative?  

I believe OJ is a charter member...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Played in a Tennessee Golf Association 1 day tournament at a private course in March 2020. I think warming up it was the 2nd time I’d hit balls since November. It was cold and I cannot stand playing in colder weather. I was also waiting to hear back from a job I applied to a month ago. 4 holes left, scrapping along and my phone rings. Thankfully we ran up on a tee box that we were waiting at. Pulled my head under my sweater, made an interview time and pulled and iron shot off. Posted a 77 somehow. Having never played the course was nerve racking alone. Cooler weather clothing made it worse. 

On the tee box on 18 knowing I had to get a bogey to break 80 for the first time. Blocked my drive right into the rough, but ended up with a great approach and saved the bogey.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

The first time I broke 80 I was on 18 tee trending to 78 if I par out. Our 18th is a tough hole - hard finish but a good drive helps. I’m on the tee and start thinking - bad idea- and literally start shaking, feeling kinda nauseous and wondering about the last time I may have crapped in my pants. Crazy.  Somehow managed to get the ball off the tee into the right rough, clean underwear intact - and wander to my shot. Second shot is about 175 to a back right pin protected by bunker in front and water behind of you get too feisty. Somehow manage to keep it together to bunt a survival hybrid to left middle of green. Facing a 55 foot putt I’m literally sweating bullets over the first putt - can’t see, eyes stinging - and of course blow it 10 feet by 😬 lining up the putt im shaking inside and again feeling kinda nauseous - make a mistake and remember I’m looking at a putt for 78. This was after we started keeping pins in the hole when on the green. And I’m seriously debating - in or out…. So I leave it in. Im

not sure I recall how I got the putter back but I did - and hit it wayyyy too hard. I can’t look - hits the stick, somehow drops for a par and a 78 - first sub 80 … Since then I have done sub 80 a dozen times but that first time was CRAZY unsettling for me. I was almost ready to give up the game - glad I didn’t 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Murphy76 said:

Was he part of the USGA's new "Fore-Fellons" golf initiative?  

I believe OJ is a charter member...

I heard of that program.   Instead of releasing them on parole to work at a diner or used car lot, they leap frog certain felons into higher society, setting them up with a golf membership, luxury condo and a starter art collection.   

It seems to be working. 

Edited by Ferguson
  • Like 1

The first time I beat my Dad and He played in a number of US AM and one Open.  Played Northwest Park and I had a one stroke lead going into the last hole. Hands were shaking and just wanted to make a par  He hit it 12 feet and missed the putt and I made a two putt par from 20' to win by a stroke.  Hour drive home an he said two blocks from the house "Good round" I did not want to tell him I beat him but was busting out inside. Shot 72 to his 73.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 5:35 PM, Roody said:

Probably standing on the opening tee at my first LPGA pro-am back in 2002. There was always a crowd around the 1st and 10th tees. What made it worse is that they would announce each player, amateurs included.

This was almost exactly my situation. It was a Senior tour pro-am where us amateurs played with a different pro or celebrity each day. I was pared with Duke Snyder the first day, then Bert Yancy and then Gale Sayers.

First tee was exactly as you described and when I stood over the ball my hands were shaking like I had palsy. Awful feeling.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs