Is feel all that important or looks

Tiptx1122

We all know what we play has to perform up to our expectations but this is about feel and looks. PING has been making some progress but from what I've read the Blueprints as the one that have the best feel to the whole PING line up. The G line up look way too busy but all PING do perform well as that is why so many people play them.  Most who play them don't complain about the feel.

Well when it comes to feel PXG's has it going on as they started out so ugly to starting to get decent thats if your ok with a bunch of screws as it gives off a mixed feeling, and Srixon's are pretty soft with excellent turf interaction for some it's a hate or like relationship.  Srixon have been making a name for themselves especially since Hideki won a Master and Brooks switch to them but don't forget he was using Mizuno's when he won his 4 Majors.  

Now I'm not sure how Mizuno does it but nothing feels like a Mizuno as it doesn't matter if it's cast iron or forged they have perfected what a pure shot should feels like. What's amazing is how their cast irons feel much better than most forged irons. Mizuno blades have always held their own as being the premier looking blades as the JPX line finally caught up and have been making some very nice looking irons as well.  I'm sure other brands such as Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist etc owners have much to say about their clubs. So without this being a flaming war chime right in and let's hear what your thoughts are about what you think about your set.

Good Vibes Smile GIF by Dylan Morang

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I CANNOT play an ugly club. I hit Ping drivers well, but have never been able to get over the look. Irons with offset, no way. Grey or raw irons, get outta here. Polished or satin chrome with very little offset is all I seem to be happy with. I play Mizunos, but also like Cobra, Titleist, Callaway and other irons with the before mentioned characteristics. I like the feel of my MP5s, but it's not an absolute necessity. I played with a rented set of T100 irons and they were fine.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

IMO, you can play an ugly club that feels right, but not a good looking club that feels bad. But, we human males are visual creatures and like shiny things.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I play the New Level 623-M and technically, they are forged blades but way more forgiving with longer heel to toe length and more offset.  Think Z-forged.  They feel more solid like Miura's but still plenty soft.  Reasonably priced, looks and feels good and performance is up to par with anything the OEM's put out. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

guess your definition of ugly is what matters, I have never been repulsed by Ping irons and played multiple G series and the i5's as well. It take something along the lines of the Cleveland VAS for me to say absolutely not. In my life there have been blades, GI and  SGI sets and have grown to accept thicker top lines but other then the VAS and Jerry Barber no shanks any club that helps the score can make the bag. I may be forgetting a few models but those two went to the front of my "ugly" line that made them unplayable. JMHO

Edited by fred faldo
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5

Callaway Steelhead XR   5 wood

Callaway GBB            20 degree hybrid

Callaway  B 21           4-PW

CBX Zipcore       48-54-58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white

It's both looks and feel but I would absolutely default to feel and performance before looks because if something feels good and performs well you will absolutely come to LOVE the look of the club. So absolutely try a club even if it's "ugly".... but I can't stand folks making up their minds about looks without seeing a pic at address or looking at address. I couldn't care less about all the screws/weights on pxg irons cause they're on the back of the club, it doesn't matter whatsoever what the back of a club looks like, you judge looks by the at address look.

I play jpx 919 tours, they feel good enough and look great but perform really well for me. Srixon has come a long way on feel and the zx7 feel better then the 919s, can't stand the v sole tho, just didn't perform as well. 

Edited by Mp14forlife

Some like the firm deep dense feel of the Tiger blade; some like the marshmellow softness of the PXG hollow iron; some like the crispness of a cavity back.  

Some like offset; others no offset...some like large heads; others small.

Take your pick plenty to choose from!

For me its looks, feel, sound first then the best performing iron.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I could care less how a club looks and all that matter is that it talks to my mind's eye and I can feel it tracking around me while I swing it.  If it happens to be visually appealing, great, but I care about a club's weight, swing weight, and turf interaction more than looks.  I have a set of Cleveland 588 Altitude irons  and also a set of Miura irons and I hated the Miruras until I got them set up like my 588s in regards to weighting, swing weighting, etc.

My 588s may be "ugly" but I absolutely love them and will play them until I beat the faces off them!! I suppose if I did it all over again I would get a hollow body iron like the Titleist TMB and weight them up and I would have the best of both worlds but they came out after I already had my other irons but in today's markets you can have both so there is no real reason to compromise on either looks or feel. 

It would probably be a little easier for me to play the Titleist CNCPT CP-04s, but they were a little chunky, so I went with the Titleist CNCPT CP-03s because I liked the look much better.

Edited by Joepa324

Titleist TSR2 10* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 16.5* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 18* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 21* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist CNCPT CP-04 5-7 CP-03 8-48 Aerotech Steelfiber i80cw
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* 10 S Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM9 60* T Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Pathfinder Mainstay Bag

For 15+ years I thought feel & sound was overrated. But once you get into some clubs that sound terrible it becomes a big deal. At least it did for me. The first "problem" club for me was my G425 irons. I thought they sounded/felt way worse than my G15/G400 irons. The second club that was a problem for me was the PXG Gen 4 driver - just horrible sound. 

• Like 2

It makes a huge difference to me.   While they don't have to be sleek and sexy, they do need to visually appeal to me.  I mean I played PING ISIs for years, those are definitely not good looking clubs by traditional standards. In the best fitting session I had, he told me upfront to be brutally honest if I didn't like a club at address. It was his experience that if you didn't like how the club looked, you'd always have that doubt if it was the best fit.

I experienced it recently with the 923 HMs. I thought I could get over the larger size because the numbers were good.  (didn't listen to the advice in the other fitting session.)

I didn't like them from day one and never played well with them.  They felt really good, especially for a cast club. But I never felt comfortable swinging it.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Looks have to play a good portion of this thought.  I was a long time I20 user and figured with all the rave reviews of the G25s, they might be a good option as I play and practice less and supposedly still had a good look.  Finally picked up a set and couldn't even take them to the range, hated how they looked and couldn't be bothered.  I don't mind a bigger top line and offset, but it was too much for me.

I'm sure they perform well, or tons of people are just blowing the typing honeymoon smoke with new gear, but I couldn't do it. 

I have also loved the feel of some irons, but they weren't going to perform as well as other options (for me) that aren't as 'pretty'.  So they never get a real look again.

A Revolving Door

I lean toward performance. If I hit it well I don’t care what it looks like or how it feels.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Club has to look right to my eye in the address position, if it doesn’t seem to sit right I’m not interested. Next hurdle it has to feel right as I swing/make contact. If a club is cosmetically pleasing in the bag after passing those first two hurdles that’s a bonus.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I’d say looks probably hold more weight for me, sad to admit.  At least every club purchase starts that way for me.  I have to like what I see when I look down at it, and that includes the cosmetic look as well as the shape and the way it sits.  When it comes to feel, I think the shaft is what I notice more than clubheads.  

Jdm Sonartec tin can sounding driver i had 6 years ago....ahh..sold fast... all my Bridgestones eg J33cb and nice Mizunos feel good look good . Have sold mp58 that were just average. I have more sensitive hearing than many people so The Tone eg at Impact matters more to me than many others. 

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I could play a club I didn’t like the looks of if it felt good and performed. However, I won’t play a club that looks good, performs, but feels/sounds bad.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Going through this exact issue... Trying to decide if I should trade in my honma tr20b for Mizuno pro 221... 

Both feel great but something about these honmas just looks special.

Miz pro look great also... But it feels almost a bit generic? Feel is butter squishy soft while tr20b is a dense soft. 

Any input on this would be appreciated Also!

13 hours ago, Milfordlefty said:

IMO, you can play an ugly club that feels right, but not a good looking club that feels bad. But, we human males are visual creatures and like shiny things.

Looks are make or break for me as well. Although I wouldn't say I could play a club that feels bad. But could play a good looking club that feels kind of blah. 

As far as looks go, I'm sensitive to top line and offset. Like something that appears thinner and the less offset, the better. I do think mfgs these days have gotten really good at making top lines seem smaller. Switched to some Callaway Rogue ST Pros from a 15+ year old set of Snake Eyes 600B blades. And while the ST Pro's top line is larger on paper, it really doesn't look all that much different at address. Or, maybe I'm just not as sensitive as I once was to top line appearance.

I’ll play whatever club gives me results. The sound and feel of taking money from my playing partners matters more.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

21 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

We all know what we play has to perform up to our expectations but this is about feel and looks. PING has been making some progress but from what I've read the Blueprints as the one that have the best feel to the whole PING line up. The G line up look way too busy but all PING do perform well as that is why so many people play them.  Most who play them don't complain about the feel.

Well when it comes to feel PXG's has it going on as they started out so ugly to starting to get decent thats if your ok with a bunch of screws as it gives off a mixed feeling, and Srixon's are pretty soft with excellent turf interaction for some it's a hate or like relationship.  Srixon have been making a name for themselves especially since Hideki won a Master and Brooks switch to them but don't forget he was using Mizuno's when he won his 4 Majors.  

Now I'm not sure how Mizuno does it but nothing feels like a Mizuno as it doesn't matter if it's cast iron or forged they have perfected what a pure shot should feels like. What's amazing is how their cast irons feel much better than most forged irons. Mizuno blades have always held their own as being the premier looking blades as the JPX line finally caught up and have been making some very nice looking irons as well.  I'm sure other brands such as Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist etc owners have much to say about their clubs. So without this being a flaming war chime right in and let's hear what your thoughts are about what you think about your set.

Good Vibes Smile GIF by Dylan Morang

I'm of the camp that I will hit anything as long as it works well for me.  I spent the past month demoing drivers and it came down 3: TSR2, G430 Max, and Paradym.  I wanted consistency.  The TSR2 looked the best but it had a tendency to get a loose on mishits.  Feel and sound were top notch.  The G430 was super straight and I was just about to pull out my wallet when I decided to give the Paradym a try.  It had everything the Ping had + an extra gear the Ping lacked (probably because of the heavier head on the Ping).  I hit around 5 balls that were in the exact middle of the head, no more than 10 yards either side of the middle (so a fwy hit every time), and with ball speed that netted me an extra 5-7 yards total consistently over the Ping.  It just so happened that the feel on this driver was the best of the bunch (probably because it was middled every time).

On the flip side, I am playing irons that are well regarded as some of the worst feeling in the industry when it comes to forged.  I would also agree with that statement.  However, they launch high, straight, and like the Paradym driver, gave me an extra gear at the same loft.  I can't argue with results, so in the bag they went.  The way I approach it is that we use a bag of tools to help us achieve the lowest score possible.  It shouldn't matter what they look like or feel like as long as work.

To round it out more scientifically, feel will always trump looks.  Feel is the only thing we have connecting us to the golf ball.  If the shaft doesn't feel good, our timing will be off and subsequently we will not be able to make a good pass at the ball.  I can look down at a club that doesn't fit my eye, but if the shaft feels terrible, there is no way I am going to be able to hit the thing straight.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I'm talking irons but Looks are important when it comes to size, don't care for a lot fat soles or thick top line. Something with a little offset is ok but performance matters the most I agree. Don't care for colorful badges. Performance, looks, feel, and sound are how I judge my irons as most sets have 3 out of the 4 going for them. My other distraction would be the price as money is really not the subject but by spending more does not make them any better when it comes to performance.

Some big name company's have great marketing as it does sell also I never cared for who on tour plays what. Over 90% of them play because they are paid to play a certain brand. Actually some of them not under a contract plays some of the ugliest clubs ever as I mean some look so beat up with so much lead tape. Here we are like to go thru 3-4 sets of irons in a year 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Mostly for me it is what inspires the most confidence. Typically if a club looks great it inspires confidence as well. But if I can't hit the thing for crap it doesn't matter how good it looks anymore. 

I can't personally get into SGI that are more like a slim hybrid. But I have played some of the more "clicky" players irons and didn't care when the ball was going where I wanted it too. 

Callaway Mavrik 9* Kai'li White 70X

Cobra King LTDx LS 17.5* 5 Wood Motore F1 X-Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18* Hybrid HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Callaway X Forged CB 5-9 KBS $-Taper Stiff 120g

Jaws Raw 46* S, Vokey 50* F, Vokey 56* D

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball Stroke Lab

Titleist Prov1x

I need looks, feel and sound, but if there was a club that magically put me inside of 10 feet on every approach shot I’d take it and run. 

Since no club can do that for me, I’m good with my 923 Tours/223s.

I played with P790s for about a year. I could never get over that clicky sound. The fliers weren’t helping either, but as soon as I heard that sound, I was already looking. 

I liked the performance of the G425 driver but couldn’t take it home because of that PBR sound.

So yes, it bothers me.

Edited by SollyinGA

Looks > Feel. Feel happens after the ball is struck so it doesn't really affect anything until after the ball is gone. Of course feel is an important buying factor but if it looks good and performs well that's the main thing.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Yes Looks will inspire confidence as that is why I like a more compact looking head with my irons. I hope I never have to end up playing golf with some SGI that look like a slim down hybrid. I hope I didn't just jinx myself Lol!