Interesting development - $3000 pay to caddy from a $1.3 million winners check? (MOD EDIT - NO POLIT

Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 829 ✭✭
edited Jan 12, 2019 4:15pm in The Cooler - "Heated Topics" #1
3k for a win with a local caddy. Can only think off one guy who had that happen

Comments

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,902 ✭✭
    Oh wow. $3k goodness. That’s $750 a day or around $62 hour if we’re talking a 12 hour day start to finish. Not much for someone on TV coverage for 5-6 of those hours ....maybe he threw him a couple putters or something else.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,372 ✭✭
    And now we have confirmed neither Henley or Gillis will ever teach English

Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • TateTate Members Posts: 274 ✭✭
    M2 9.5
    M2 15
    MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3
    MP18 SC 4-5
    MP18 6-PW
    SM6 52.8
    SM6 56.10
    SM6 60.4
    2016 Select Newport 2
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members Posts: 474 ✭✭
    That’s weak as **** if he paid that amount. Hopefully there is more to it.
  • GnomesteelGnomesteel Members Posts: 976 ✭✭
    ****. Seems like Kuch is known for being stingy. This is an awful look for someone with $45M in earnings.

• WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,828 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 5:33pm #8
    My first guess was Kuch who had the local caddy in Mexico. Is Kuch still seen as the fun loving guy that everybody likes? If he had paid the guy even 5% (isn’t 10 standard?) it would have changed his life. Real d***head move.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • buckeyevalleybuckeyevalley Members Posts: 371 ✭✭
    Not agreeing or disagreeing , but what if that was the agreed to price for the week.
  • FrostfieldFrostfield Members Posts: 920 ✭✭
    So it ain’t so Matt. So freakin weak if true.
  • FrostfieldFrostfield Members Posts: 920 ✭✭

Not agreeing or disagreeing , but what if that was the agreed to price for the week.

The multi millionaire does the right thing, pays the man 10%, and changes his and his children’s life forever.
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Members Posts: 18,062 ✭✭
    Before cruicifying him, let's find out if it's true.

But if true, it's awful.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • OutBackHackOutBackHack Members Posts: 910 ✭✭
    It was reported that the caddie received a pair of Sketchers also... So he's got that going for him.
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    $3k might be the public number.

Word gets out that he got 10%, his wife or kids may go missing.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is a real concern for high profile / wealth individuals south of the border.
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    p3ga wrote:

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is a real concern for high profile / wealth individuals south of the border.

I was about to post the same thing. Guy turns up dead in the caddie yard pretty easily there.
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,803 ✭✭
    p3ga wrote:

Thank you for chiming in. Too many of us jump to quick conclusions without having the facts or knowledge to make such conclusions.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Members Posts: 1,769 ✭✭

My first guess was Kuch who had the local caddy in Mexico. Is Kuch still seen as the fun loving guy that everybody likes? If he had paid the guy even 5% (isn’t 10 standard?) it would have changed his life. Real d***head move.

Not defending anything, but in my early career, I finished 2nd in a tournament in Asia. I took a local caddy set up by the host course.

Guy was very nice, spoke little to no English, but never made a mistake which was all I hoped for.

I had NO idea what to pay him, and went in to the pro shop to ask what I should pay.

They were very nice all week, and told me the standard fee was the equivalent of 25-30 US dollars per day (6 days).

I said that it seemed awfully low, but they insisted it was enough. I went to the tournament office to cash a check and asked them, and was told the same fee, but a tip would be plenty.

I gave him the equivalent of US $1200. When I handed it to him he smiled and started to tear up. We shook hands and he about ran down the road

The pro shop guy asked what I paid him, and he got mad at me saying; “That’s too much! You ruined his life!” The caddy’s reaction made me feel like I felt like I should give him more, but I was pretty clueless about the culture or what to do.

Never went back there, hope I didn’t ruin the guy, but his reaction sure seemed like he needed it
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,463 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 6:43pm #18
    We had talked about non-regular caddies and their pay when the Mayakoba concluded http://www.golfwrx.c...c/page__st__90. Sounds like it's not uncommon for a fill-in or local caddie to not get the standard percentages given to regular caddies. A member here said he caddied at a Tour event this summer, his guy made the cut and won $44,500, and he took home less than a grand.

Maybe there's something to the idea that Kuch didn't want to publicly let out how much his caddie got, but then how did word get out that his caddie might have gotten stiffed? But Tron from NLU hears that this wouldn't be the first time that Kuch was cheap.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,404 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 6:49pm #19
    Couple things.

First, if the guy consistently makes 200-day as a caddie (according to the link below, "averaging about six loops a week and $200 a day") he is prolly making 50k/year or more. Its not like hes making 5 grand a year and living in a hut.

Second, Im pretty sure that while poverty in Mexico is greater than the US...

They have plenty of people who make good livings, own homes, and they

Have banks.

Its not like if Kuch paid him the 130k, hed have it stuffed under his mattress and all of a sudden his family gets kidnapped or he fighting armed intruders all day.

That said, it would have been wise to keep the amount, if large, under wraps.

Here is what he said before he knew what hed be paid,

11. Asked if he made more money than Favela last week, Ortiz said, “I hope so!” He had not yet received or discussed his pay with Kuchar. He knows the standard caddie bonus is 10 percent of the winner’s share. Kuchar earned $1.3 million for his win, his first since 2014.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/11/13/matt-kuchar-mayakoba-caddie-18-things-to-know-el-tucan/amp/
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Members Posts: 18,062 ✭✭
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    Can’t believe how tired I am of Twitter rumors and big mouths who don’t have the backbone, or anything else, to name names. Call someone out by name or shut up. Having been a 12 year old girl at one point, I can tell you it had a lot in common with Twitter.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,901 ✭✭
    I’ll reserve judgement until I hear all the facts but I will say that I once almost spent $3k in Mexico and lived like a king. That kind of action at the shoe show would have cost me at least $30k in the US.
    Why is it anyone's concerm what an independent contractor paid a short term employee who presumably agreed to the wage anyway?

Sounds like Kuchar is a great negotiator.

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,404 ✭✭

I’ll reserve judgement until I hear all the facts but I will say that I once almost spent $3k in Mexico and lived like a king. That kind of action at the shoe show would have cost me at least $30k in the US.

Per the article I posted. This caddie makes 50k/year.

So, I guess thats the equivalent of 500k here and he doesnt need Kuchs money anyways ; )

Can’t believe how tired I am of Twitter rumors and big mouths who don’t have the backbone, or anything else, to name names. Call someone out by name or shut up. Having been a 12 year old girl at one point, I can tell you it had a lot in common with Twitter.

See that's what it was, Tom Gillis was just "identifying" as a 12 yr old girl when he posted that

Now it makes sense
  • Creedo77Creedo77 Members Posts: 738 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

We had talked about non-regular caddies and their pay when the Mayakoba concluded [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1711504-2018-mayakoba-golf-classic/page__st__90."]http://www.golfwrx.c...c/page__st__90.[/url] Sounds like it's not uncommon for a fill-in or local caddie to not get the standard percentages given to regular caddies. A member here said he caddied at a Tour event this summer, his guy made the cut and won $44,500, and he took home less than a grand.

Maybe there's something to the idea that Kuch didn't want to publicly let out how much his caddie got, but then how did word get out that his caddie might have gotten stiffed? But Tron from NLU hears that this wouldn't be the first time that Kuch was cheap.

That was my own fault though, as I didn’t talk percentages before the tournament. I was just happy to be out there getting the experience and networking. Sure, I should have been paid more but the inexperience of knowing what to do/say cost me.

And now I’ve found myself working the first two weeks in the Bahamas on the web tour!
    PING G30 9*- Tour 65X
    PING G30 14.5*- Tour 65X
    PING i25 3-PW- CFS X
    PING Glide (SS) 50, 54, 58
    PING Anser
    Good luck, Creedo77!
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,712 ClubWRX
    MtlJeff wrote:

Why is it anyone's concerm what an independent contractor paid a short term employee who presumably agreed to the wage anyway?

That's why Canada is in the top 10 around the world in economic freedom of the economy!
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    So no one knows what exactly happened.

Thanks.
    iBanesto wrote:

So no one knows what exactly happened.

Thanks.

No rumors allowed here!
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
    edited Jan 12, 2019 8:22pm #31
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

That's why Canada is in the top 10 around the world in economic freedom of the economy!

I can only speak for myself, our elected officials might have different views than me. Canada might not be like the US, where everyone agrees on policies

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />