Do you look like a golfer - off the course?

2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit I own suits and dress clothes for work and golf clothes for golf with little non-golf casual clothes outside a few t-shirts and one pair of jeans.

As a result if I have to wear 'smart casual' I look like I am about to play 18.

Am I the only one?

Now I have to admit, I have recently grabbed a few non golf tops to wear on weekends to switch it up, but I noticed if it is sunny out and I want to wear a hat, I have 20 to choose from, but they are all golf related.

Comments

• j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outside of my suits/dress clothes, I do look like Im on the way to the course. Even on the more casual days at work, I could easily be at home on the course. It helps/hurts that a lot of brands like Peter Millar, RLX, etc work for the office/dinner/course.

• JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Never wear any of my golf stuff off the course. Dark jeans and button down casual dress shirt 90% of the time, t-shirt the other 10%. Have dressier stuff and suits for occasions that require it but hate polo's outside of golf.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP EF 54.11 - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I’m carrying my golf bag with me I do.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 604 ClubWRX

Most of my work/ casual attire looks like what I typically wear on the course... No dress code at work so I can even wear shorts

WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wear polo shirts and slacks to work. I wear polo shirts and slacks or shorts off the course. I wear polo shirts and slacks or shorts to play golf.

About the only time I dress down is to mow the yard, go fishing or work on a vehicle.

• MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Probably. I wear adidas ultimate pants with a golf shirt most days and everyone I come in contact knows I play golf, so most likely.

Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • M44km44kM44km44k Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2019 1:08am #8

Man this couldn't be more true. I have 4 options. Suit and tie, golf shirts, athletic/workout gear, or resort casual. (Wife requires a steady stream of beach vacations to make up for all the golf) I really need to get an in between look in the wardrobe.

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used to always wear golf shirts. At one point the only shirts I had that weren’t golf shirts or dress shirts were workout shirts. These days, I rarely wear a golf shirt (or any kind of collared shirt) if I’m not on the course. I very rarely wear dress shirts (only when absolutely necessary). In most situations not involving golf these days, I’m wearing with jeans and a t-shirt or shorts and a t-shirt, including at work (jeans, not shorts unfortunately).

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I occasionally wear a golf polo and slacks to the office, but not usually and only during warm weather months.
    I do have some casual cotton non golf style polos I wear as well. I don’t like to look like I am getting ready to play golf even if I am. I keep golf clothes in my car with my clubs if needed.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

When I'm sitting at the desk and conducting sales screen time for the whole day, I wear golf pants always along with golf polos.
    In fact, I wore the same 3 pairs of pants (dark blue, black, grey) on 5 day rotation for 4 years running...golf pants are supreme!!! Only a perma-single man like myself could pull this off without shame.

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Summertime, when I’m hanging around the house, or running errands, it’s muscle shirts, gym shorts, and flips. More formal events (like a casual lunch date with my wife and kid), it’s usually cotton-poly blend tees and decent shorts. Winter, it’s jeans and a tee shirt, long- or short-sleeved, and a jacket as required.

So I guess I don’t really look like much of a golfer off the course. But then, come to think of it, I don’t really look like much of a golfer on the course either. 🤔

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

guess I'm fortunate being in the midwest and work in a casual environment.
    from spring to fall, it looks like I'm ready to go hit on any weekday. soft slacks, collared polos, maybe a lightweight pullover.
    winter is when the long sleeves and sweaters come out of hibernation.
    I even wear FJ casuals to the office.

currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

I went to the chiropractor some time last year and wasn't wearing any golf related clothing, just gym clothes. The chiro asked if I golfed. So I guess I look like a golfer.

Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • BM5DBM5D Members Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

@j.b.newton said:
    Outside of my suits/dress clothes, I do look like Im on the way to the course. Even on the more casual days at work, I could easily be at home on the course. It helps/hurts that a lot of brands like Peter Millar, RLX, etc work for the office/dinner/course.

Those sheeny golf shirts only look good on guys with less than 15% body fat lol. Otherwise every mole, pimple or fat cell you have will be on display.

• rufus manglerrufus mangler Members Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

other than a copper Sabona on my wrist... no.

TM 2016 M2 9.5º
    TM RBZ 17 HL3º
    TM FCT Rescue 21º
    Srixon Z745 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6, 52.10, 56.14, 60.12
    Cleveland HB Soft 11
    Srixon ZStar
    Hdcp 7
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Paunch hanging over belt? Check.
    Uneven reddish "tan" which is always worst on Mondays? Check.
    Man ****? Check.
    Callus on last knuckle of ring finger on one hand? Check.
    Stopping to look at reflection in window, then bending over with hands in front of waist? Check.

Bottom line is yes, I do look like a golfer even when I'm at work.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Im 40 so I think I'm old but guess Im still young?? Grew up a sneaker head but also playing golf so my of off course style is a bit more "urban" I guess you'd say. Skinny jeans, Jordans/Adidas Ultra Boosts or a Nike flyknit of some sort. But usually with a boutique golf T such as Malbon Golf or Electric Golf etc.. I do have a lot of the Nike Golf logo T's I wear and I'm usually wearing some sort of boutique golf brand hat whether it's a flat bill or dad cap. Only time I wear a polo off the course is to work or if I'm going out to dinner and then its usually a slim fit Bonobos polo or something to that effect. I guess eventually I'll start dressing a bit more age appropriate off of the course but I hate flip flops soo.... That seems to be the go to for middle aged men who aren't super trendy ha.

Long story short I don't necessarily look like a golfer off of the course but if you were into the trendy boutique golf brands you'd recognize what I had on and would know I played. Funny thing is on course I'm a bit more traditional. I collect the Jordan Golf shoes but don't wear them except for the trainers and the ADG's. I grew up playing in the late 80's and 90's and I love a pair of FJ Icons. It's hard to argue with the comfort and style of the new Nike crossover stuff though especially the Air Max, Roshe Tour and Premier.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura EVO IV 661x 
    Ping G400 14.5 Fujikura EVO IV 757x 
    Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    Ping iBlade DG TI X-100 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 DG TI S400
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one in Socal (LA area) looks like a golfer off the course unless they are over 45. On the course, majority looks like tour pros.

• jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2019 3:18pm #22

For work - definitely, we used to be "business casual" which would be golf polo's/golf slacks, then moved to jeans allowed, so now golf shirt/pullover/jeans.
    Going out on the town - try to avoid this if possible, but definitely golf attire may be worn depending on where we are going.
    Otherwise - sports attire.
    really don't have any reason to get nattily attired anymore, so I just wear whatever golf stuff I find, since the closest thing I have to going to a clothing store is a pro shop!

• kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada. Members Posts: 335 ✭✭✭✭

Nope, my golf clothes are really the only name brand/nice clothes I have, otherwise its the typical big guy outfit of shorts and a short sleeve button up shirt (usually a floral print) or jeans and a hoodie in the winter. Most stuff from walmart, cheap junk shoes and a snapback hat. Not a guy to spend money on clothes, and only because I'm a big guy I have to buy my golf stuff from the big mans store, and thats likely the only reason its higher end stuff. I would just look like a big slob to most of you guys hahahaha But I've got no women dressing me or buying me clothes so.

TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • DFW SnowmanDFW Snowman Members Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

No, but the only real difference between my on course wear vs off course wear is the material of the clothes. Once I entered the professional working world 20 years ago, I began wearing polos with jeans/khakis/shorts 90% of the time but only cotton. Once I got into golf in my 30s, I built up my golf wardrobe which is pretty much the same types of clothing except entirely synthetic materials. I also have a pretty bland style in general, so I don't have to update my wardrobe much since it's never on trend.

• DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stanks said:
    Flip flops, adidas shorts, tank top, mesh / button back / fitted baseball cap...I look like a local in California. And I play golf like that too.
    The worst thing is when your boss comes in saying he is taking off early when you know he is going to play 18 with the directors and ya in those sheeny collared golf shirts (which look terrible) or his mock turtle neck.

ROFL

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,800 ClubWRX

Fridays are casual for our office staff. I'll be in a polo and shorts and the first question is what time am I leaving to play...even though I don't leave to play. So I guess that answers the question.

• Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Id say that I do. My average casual wear is polos and shorts. I could easily wear any of my casual clothes to the course and not look out of place.

• cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wear grey Old Navy Go-Dry pants and a black polo to work every single day. Go hit balls on my lunch break probably once a week without needing to change anything but my shoes.

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TIM929 said:
    No one in Socal (LA area) looks like a golfer off the course unless they are over 45. On the course, majority looks like tour pros.

Where are you golfing? Yesterday, a hot day, I saw a dude playing topless with jean cutoffs!
    Come to think of it, JD does that too...so I guess your right...people in LA do dress like tour pros :)

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

my __white _______belt is a give away. _____

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file