spring70

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My $.02

I’m 56 and recently switched to regular. I think the true determining factor

should be ball flight. I started struggling with low ball flight. I tried lighter stiff flex first

but that disrupted my 40+yo muscle memory. Switched to same shaft but regular flex

and ball flight went back up without losing feel or accuracy.

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

I am 21 and have always played regular flex iron shafts. My driver SS is right around 100-105 and I also recently switched from a stiff to a regular flex shaft and noticed improvements.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

51 years old - just switched this year from KBS variants to a set of TT Tour Concepts in a new set of TM P770s. Love everything about them. About a club longer, easier to control flight, and feel great. Not sure how much is the heads and how much is the shafts, but I don't think I'll ever go back to stiff in the irons. Still using stiff in the driver, but irons are a different story. The only thing is I normally get along better with heavier shafts, and from what I've seen the softer the flex then generally weight goes down.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Went to regular (steel) around my 53rd birthday, then moved to graphite regular a year or two later.

My body is tired / worn out & age should be calculated in dog years.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

57, 80 mph SS with 6 iron.

I’ve tried to go regular flex a couple of time without success.

My results are decreased accuracy and more spin.

Currently playing Modus 105 stiff, but I have a set of Mizuno 919 Forged w/ PX LZ 5.5, which is really a pretty firm regular or soft stiff, from what I’ve read.

Mizzy shaft optimizer always puts me in stiff flex 105-115 gm shafts unless it a True Temper, then it spits out XP105 R ( I hit it outside and hated it)

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I'm 72 and thinking of switching to a sling shot. Seriously though, I am still a single digit HC. 6'- 200 lbs, Still work out regularly. I hit a 7 iron to 150 and drive about 225. I have a smooth transition and have played regular shafts since I was in my 50's. I golf 3 times a week, weather permitting and play the senior tees.

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

At 55 now, I can't recall a switch age as I currently mix & match 3 iron sets, and have for some time.

Currently, my heaviest irons have Modus 125 in R flex. Next set has Recoils 125 F4 which are S - but that is graphite. My awesome Callaway Razr MBs are in their original PX 5.0 F - which is the softest flex in that steel shaft possible.

My concern with iron shafts is weight, first. As a lefty playing right, my lead elbow gets sore and tender with lots of range time if I use too much of the heavy steel.

If I keep my steel shafts in R, I know that the impact of graphite in S is comparable as far as repeated divots/strikes.

Woods/hybrids - the flex is no matter to me for pain or golf results, but I don't even try the X flex here.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I am happy to play reg or stiff but the biggest factor for me is shaft weight. I first tried reg shafts about 57 years of age.

Prefer graphite now.

I can still play a 90 gram nspro stiff shaft quite happily with good height and distance but an S300 at about 124 grams is out of the question.

Even a dynamic gold R300 around 120 grams is not ideal. So it is the weight and not the stated flex that I look at.

I can play a stiff tipped graphite at 70 grams and have no problem at all. For reference my driver swing speed would be around 90 to 95 mph.

Just about 52, but with a clause! I only switched from stiff to regular with the irons and the regular I switched to was KBS Tour 110, which was explained to me to be either Stiff minus or Regular plus. All my wedges and woods are still stiff flex.

For me it was an issue of getting enough height with the 6 to 3 iron and the KBS offered an improvement over my DG 300S. The KBS was about 15 grams lighter and in testing and fitting really helped me get my ball flight up a bit.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

54 and am thinking it is almost time. SS is mid to high 70s with 7 iron. Usually 80 is the gen. line between R & S. Would depend on performance with whatever head your are pairing the shaft with and the feel. ;)

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Let's see if I can remember...

I switched from Regular to Stiff when I was 23. I had just gotten out of the service, and was about 20 pounds heavier (good shape) than when I had gotten my first full set of irons in high school.

At age 59 I then switched back from stiff to regular. I was losing distance, and was tending to scoop the ball (higher not lower flights) to try to compensate. "Fighting the shaft" as the fitter said. My tempo suffered.

Steel shafts at about 95-100 grams R.flex seem to work best for me. On occasion a rough fitting will recommend me for S-flex in the really light shafts, but I feel better with a slightly heavier R.flex. I may go to Recoils to lessen stress on my joints.

Moo, I really like the KBS Tour 90 shafts in my new irons. Lively without being spongy.

Went to regular (steel) around my 53rd birthday, then moved to graphite regular a year or two later. ...

A few years back, our bible Golf Digest ran an article that said age 53 is decision time for all male golfers. This is when GD recommends a refitting to see if it's time to dump Stiff for Regular. Can't remember the justification for it, but... it was in GD! :dntknw:

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Age 37, after a low back injury a few years ago I lost some distance. I finally went to regular in my irons last year. So far I'm happy with the change and feel that I don't have to work hard to hit my irons. Now I just focus on tempo and direction.

I do still play stiff in hybrids, fairway woods and driver.

Just about 52, but with a clause! I only switched from stiff to regular with the irons and the regular I switched to was KBS Tour 110, which was explained to me to be either Stiff minus or Regular plus. All my wedges and woods are still stiff flex.

For me it was an issue of getting enough height with the 6 to 3 iron and the KBS offered an improvement over my DG 300S. The KBS was about 15 grams lighter and in testing and fitting really helped me get my ball flight up a bit.

I got a good chuckle out of the disclaimer clause.

The golfing ego is a funny thing. Probably the biggest mistake made back in the day was using the terms regular and stiff. Most guys see it as questioning their manhood if they don't need a stiff shaft. And as Tom Wishon has shared, with no industry standard, it's really all over the board what is 'stiff' and what is regular.

Come to think of it, manufacturers have had big hits with really stiff stock shafts (early PING models) and softer flex stock shafts (early day Callaway stuff with a uniflex shaft.)

As others have said the thread, weight plays a big deal in fitting as well. It's a long way from when everybody was using heavy 120 gram+ shafts. There are so many options out there that shaft stiffness is just one variable to consider. Unless it's resale value where stiff shafted clubs are probably easier to sell. Or x-stiff shafts, because unwritten GolfWRX rules say you have to reference your extra shift shafts in your signature line.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I switched a couple years ago... I'm 42. I dropped down to a 8 from a 16 since the switch.

Driver:  Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max / Ventus Blue Velocore

3 Wood: Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max/ Ventus Blue Velocore

Hybrid:  Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid & Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max
Irons:  Ping G525 w/ Axiom 75s
Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw 52 & 58
Putter: Evnroll ER5vB
Bag: Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag (Black) & Vessel Lite Stand Bag (White)
Ball: Titleist AVX

Shoe: Nike or Jordans

I've been playing Hogan Apex 4 (stiff) in my FTX's and played around with KBS Tour 90's in stiff (and pretty soft to flex from a graph I saw in the clubmaking forum at one point), but I switched to Recoil 95's in regular this year at age 44. I'm short, 5'5", with short arms relative to my height (my wife is an inch shorter than me, but she can reach things on the kitchen shelves 2-3" higher), so I have a youth-sized swing arc. I play regularly with a 6'5" math teacher who hits the ball a mile. We broke out the tape measure and calculator this fall and he determined that if my arc was the same as his, my clubhead speed would actually be 2-3 mph faster. But as it is, I switched to regular shafts to help get a little more spin & carry on my irons.

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

I switched a couple years ago... I'm 42. I dropped down to a 8 from a 16 since the switch.

Don't ever change your avatar!

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

Don't ever change your avatar!

Never! They'll be back soon now that Hockey is coming to town.

Driver:  Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max / Ventus Blue Velocore

3 Wood: Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max/ Ventus Blue Velocore

Hybrid:  Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid & Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max
Irons:  Ping G525 w/ Axiom 75s
Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw 52 & 58
Putter: Evnroll ER5vB
Bag: Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag (Black) & Vessel Lite Stand Bag (White)
Ball: Titleist AVX

Shoe: Nike or Jordans

I’ve switched from S300 to Project-X LZ 5.5 in 2018, and turning 38 soon.

The biggest improvement I made was fighting of fatigue which translated to more range time or double header.

It did take me quite a while to feel comfortable and confident in going lighter and softer.

I still play stiff in the wedges, two iron (switched from steel to recoil 110), 3 wood and driver because of the control and optimized spin rates.

I'm 48 and really didn't switch flexes but switched to graphite a few years ago. In one set of clubs (Adams CMB) I have regular flex and in another set of irons (Adams CC1) I have stiff flex. After messing around with shaft flexes in these clubs this is what works best for me in each set. The stiff shaft are Aldila NV-3 and the regulars are Aldila NVS-2.

In my Adams MB2's I have Recoil F3 95 which are regular flex.

Basically the thing for me wasn't going from stiff flex to regular due to age but jumping to graphite due to elbow problems due to work/age.

Late 50's here. S300's all my life but felt the need to change a few months ago. Still have good speed so decided to go for a lighter shaft. The Ping AWT's seem to fit nicely.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Like the best Chev 57

Got some dgr300 mid last year plus found some royal precision rifles 114gram pw and 128 gram 3 iron.Sweet shafts cheers.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

While I have not yet moved all the way to "R", I have made changes to shaft weight over the past 10 years. I am currently 76 years old with driver swing speed in low 90's (down from upper 90's 3 years ago). I have moved from Flighted Rifle 6.0 to KBS Tour Stiff (120g) to KBS C Taper Lite Stiff (110g) to TT AMT Red S (95g) in my current set of AP3 which I have had for a little over a year. I am getting ready to reshaft these irons with Recoil 80 F4 soft stepped twice (should put me midway between R and S) for 5i thru PW and 48deg gap and Recoil 95 F4 8 iron shafts for 52 and 58 wedges.

I have stiff in both drivers - 917 D2 with Diamana Red (50g) and Srixon 785 with Miyazaki Kaula (65g). 3w and hybrids are both stiff.

I currently play to scratch from regular men's tees (6100 to 6600 yds). Played golf on the professional level (club pro, Senior PGA Tour).