The Mavrik Max is the greatest driver ever

MtlJeff

On 8/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I was in need of spin reduction, so I went with the Sub Zero in 9.0.  Hit about a dozen balls with it in the stock setting.  Was worried I made a mistake.  Spin was down but so were the drives.  Like 175 yard duck hooks.  So I decided to begin tinkering.  Starting with it in the +2 D mode.  

First drive with that high and a slight draw down the middle 221.  Next half dozen alternates between straight or a 3 to 5 yard fade.  My standard shot is about a 5 yard fade.  So it was right on.  Distance remained between 215 to 226.  

My previous driver TS1 was maybe 200 to 210.  But I got way too much spin out of it.  Usually 2900 to 3400.   The SZ has been in the 2300 to 2600. 

Low and wild to the draw side is the downside of very low spin. Must avoid that shot at all costs. It goes (on the course) exactly as the launch monitor shows.

High launch plus low spin = big distance. For the longest time I hit the driver with a negative AoA and 3500-4000 spin rate was my distance killer. The ONLY downside to the Ping MAX was the "high" (about 2800 for me) spin. Hard to believe the Mav MAX could be any more forgiving though.

6 or 7 years ago a teacher/salesman noticed I was sliding toward the target and that's what was causing the trailing club head and the negative AoA. Fixed that and now have about a 3* positive AoA and am driving the ball farther and much more consistently.

18 months ago bought the Epic Flash SZ with a Hzrdus Yellow. Surprisingly(?) (for a SZ head) it was very forgiving and I got a spin rate right around 2,000 while launching it around 16*. Just about perfect.

Being that I try just about everything anyway, 2 weeks ago I picked up the Mavrik SZ and hit it. Felt very solid and sounded better than my EFSZ but I could barely get my spin up to 1600. Too low. Tried the regular MAV head. A bit better spin-wise but still had trouble getting to 2000.

Didn't bother with the Mav MAX but next time I try a driver I'll give it a look.

Glad you guys found your stick. :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

37 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Low and wild to the draw side is the downside of very low spin. Must avoid that shot at all costs. It goes (on the course) exactly as the launch monitor shows.

High launch plus low spin = big distance. For the longest time I hit the driver with a negative AoA and 3500-4000 spin rate was my distance killer. The ONLY downside to the Ping MAX was the "high" (about 2800 for me) spin. Hard to believe the Mav MAX could be any more forgiving though.

6 or 7 years ago a teacher/salesman noticed I was sliding toward the target and that's what was causing the trailing club head and the negative AoA. Fixed that and now have about a 3* positive AoA and am driving the ball farther and much more consistently.

18 months ago bought the Epic Flash SZ with a Hzrdus Yellow. Surprisingly(?) (for a SZ head) it was very forgiving and I got a spin rate right around 2,000 while launching it around 16*. Just about perfect.

Being that I try just about everything anyway, 2 weeks ago I picked up the Mavrik SZ and hit it. Felt very solid and sounded better than my EFSZ but I could barely get my spin up to 1600. Too low. Tried the regular MAV head. A bit better spin-wise but still had trouble getting to 2000.

Didn't bother with the Mav MAX but next time I try a driver I'll give it a look.

Glad you guys found your stick. :classic_wink:

Thanks for the good info! 

Yes, since i lofted it up, haven’t killed any more ducks.   Am i hitting it perfectly everytime?  No, but my misses seem to be a high push to the right with not a lot of distance loss.   

i have found it for now.  But i am interested in the new TSi3 upon release.  

The hunt is part of the fun. ?

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I went for a Mavrik Max fitting, 30min free fitting, started of by warming up before the session. I hit the baseline with my fitted SIM Max and hit about 3 perfect strikes and one OK, they were optimized ASF.

Mav Max couldn't compete, we threw everything the fitter had on it, he even went to his car to get his own shaft but nah, nothing could beat the SIM Max in that fitting.

Edited by Hedgehog
  • Like 1

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

9 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

My mavrik regular is very forgiving. The max must be a touch more. I just wonder if it goes higher then the regular.

I went with the regular over the max because of this reason - and more. It's plenty forgiving as it is, and the 'cyclone shape' of the mavrik line is ONLY included in the mav standard, not the max. For me the lower spin of the standard was more important then the slightly higher MOI of the max which spun more.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

6 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

I went for a Mavrik Max fitting, 30min free fitting, started of by warming up before the session. I hit the baseline with my fitted SIM Max and hit about 3 perfect strikes and one OK, they were optimized ASF.

Mav Max couldn't compete, we threw everything the fitter had it on it, he even went to his car to get his own shaft but nah, nothing could beat the SIM Max in that fitting.

What aspect couldnt compete? Spin? Distance? Both? Accentuate a miss?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I picked up a Mav. Max about 3 weeks ago.  I wasn't hitting my TS3 consistently in the short grass so decided to change it up.  My SS is right at the 100 MPH mark, so I went with the Riptide 5.5.  I hit it decent for a few rounds, then started to struggle with it.  This weekend I went from struggling with it to missing most every FW.  In the past going with a little shorter shaft has helped my dispersion, so after a really poor shot OB on the 15th hole I decided to adjust the length.  

After snapping it over my knee I was left with about 24 inches which proved to be a little short, so I finished the round with a 3 wood off the tee.

Last night I threw a 6.0 Hazrdus Smoke into it and took that combo to the range today.  Man, I hit it way better than I ever did with the 5.5 Riptide.  

With my club championship this weekend, I need some short grass :-).

• Haha 4

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

15 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I went with the regular over the max because of this reason - and more. It's plenty forgiving as it is, and the 'cyclone shape' of the mavrik line is ONLY included in the mav standard, not the max. For me the lower spin of the standard was more important then the slightly higher MOI of the max which spun more.

I had the same reasons. Great driver. 

On 9/8/2020 at 9:36 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

What aspect couldnt compete? Spin? Distance? Both? Accentuate a miss?

Yeah, Mavrik standard was the beast for me. Definitely better than SIM for me on accuracy. Also easier to swing it faster and square it. Maybe the cyclone shape and lower MOI really does help. Sounds excellent. 

Edited by dmeeksDC

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

spacer.png

But the Mavrik line is good just not something I'd buy blind or advise others to buy blind as well. 

Edited by MattM97

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I was at the driving range with my girlfriend who has taken up the game this year.  She has a pre-bundled set that is good enough to learn from.  Hits the ball relatively consistently now, which is big progress from June.  

She loves hitting driver but they always go right. Maybe 1/5 go more or less straight, the others are 120-160yrds with about 30yrds right.  So wayyyy right. 

The range/club was dead so I built up a maverick max from the demo cart for her to try (12*, 1 up and neutral).  She hit about 10 straight ones in a row. Not a touch of right, I swear I may have even seen a baby draw in there.  Everyone wouldve been not only in play but in the fairway. 

The distance was about the same to my eye, it is a slow swing speed, but if I didn't personally see the difference in dispersion, I would've never believed it.  

Be it honeymoon phase or a 500 dollar driver vs a 500 dollar combo set or the driver themselves I couldn't tell you. 

All I know is this driver seems to fly extremely straight and is really forgiving.  

51 minutes ago, Doyouevenblade said:

I was at the driving range with my girlfriend who has taken up the game this year.  She has a pre-bundled set that is good enough to learn from.  Hits the ball relatively consistently now, which is big progress from June.  

She loves hitting driver but they always go right. Maybe 1/5 go more or less straight, the others are 120-160yrds with about 30yrds right.  So wayyyy right. 

The range/club was dead so I built up a maverick max from the demo cart for her to try (12*, 1 up and neutral).  She hit about 10 straight ones in a row. Not a touch of right, I swear I may have even seen a baby draw in there.  Everyone wouldve been not only in play but in the fairway. 

The distance was about the same to my eye, it is a slow swing speed, but if I didn't personally see the difference in dispersion, I would've never believed it.  

Be it honeymoon phase or a 500 dollar driver vs a 500 dollar combo set or the driver themselves I couldn't tell you. 

All I know is this driver seems to fly extremely straight and is really forgiving.  

30 yards seems to be quite a bit but who knows what kind of "bundled" driver she had.

That said, correction WORKS. Not often 30 yards but then the previous driver was,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Max MAX s/b be square-to-closed face, max forgiveness and draw bias. Net-net, in your GF's case an excellent improvement. Good for her. ?

Titleist Pro V1X

@MtlJeff The Mav MAX driver promo says it offers either slight draw or MAX draw for trajectory. Can you hit a fade if necessary?

The reason I ask: I play a draw, but get it with a slightly closed stance. On my Calla XR16 Pro, I played +1 degree on loft, had N(eutral) lie angle, had the grip adjusted so head lined up about 1* open. This produced a nice, smooth draw. I can also hit a fade (usually) from an open stance.

Have you had any experience with the base Mav (slight draw) or the SubZero (neutral)?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

5 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

@MtlJeff The Mav MAX driver promo says it offers either slight draw or MAX draw for trajectory. Can you hit a fade if necessary?

The reason I ask: I play a draw, but get it with a slightly closed stance. On my Calla XR16 Pro, I played +1 degree on loft, had N(eutral) lie angle, had the grip adjusted so head lined up about 1* open. This produced a nice, smooth draw. I can also hit a fade (usually) from an open stance.

Have you had any experience with the base Mav (slight draw) or the SubZero (neutral)?

I haven't hit a fade since aught 6. Just can't do it with my grip and setup,  so im a bad advisor on this one

My "fade" is a 5yd draw

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Tried the MAX just was not as impressed as I was with my TM SIM. Now for the biggest surprise was when I picked up the new Big Bertha B21 10.5 stiff as this has to be the easiest driver to hit straight. Took it to the range and out of 20 plus shots I only had one pull as my normal slice turn out to be a baby fade and in the fairway. Next day played 18 as there were a couple of shots directly into the sun as it felt great sound just as good but wasn't sure how well it turned out as I was partially blinded by the sun. Then I noticed, right down the middle 270 yds out. I had my best driving hole of the day only missed one fairway by only 3 yards. Even on 2 holes I used the driver where it is tight as I usually lay up but no more as Callaway just made their best driver. At least give it a try as it may not be for everyone but for a majority of us amateurs its a driver you will want in your bag

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 9/8/2020 at 5:07 PM, rxk9fan said:

I picked up a Mav. Max about 3 weeks ago.  I wasn't hitting my TS3 consistently in the short grass so decided to change it up.  My SS is right at the 100 MPH mark, so I went with the Riptide 5.5.  I hit it decent for a few rounds, then started to struggle with it.  This weekend I went from struggling with it to missing most every FW.  In the past going with a little shorter shaft has helped my dispersion, so after a really poor shot OB on the 15th hole I decided to adjust the length.  

After snapping it over my knee I was left with about 24 inches which proved to be a little short, so I finished the round with a 3 wood off the tee.

Last night I threw a 6.0 Hazrdus Smoke into it and took that combo to the range today.  Man, I hit it way better than I ever did with the 5.5 Riptide.  

With my club championship this weekend, I need some short grass :-).

FWIW, I find all the Evenflow shafts to be unstable and squirlly.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

12 hours ago, RainShadow said:

FWIW, I find all the Evenflow shafts to be unstable and squirlly.

Have you hit the Evenflow White?

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

No. But I've kinda written off the EvenFlow line up. 

Currently playing a Atmos Blue TS 6s and HZRDUS Yellow 75 5.5 in my G400.

Atmos launches higher and spins about the same, feels a bit more alive, but the HZRDUS seems to be consistently longer overall.

I'm interested in the HZRDUS Yellow Smoke in the 60gm class to seee if I can pick up a little speed with the lighter version.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

To play the Evenflows I go to a 6.5 flex

instead of my usual 6.0. Once fit I didn’t find much difference between an Evenflow blue 6.5 vs an Atmos TS blue 6S. Both have a moderate amount of action. I do prefer the Atmos In a driver because it feels a bit more stable to me (am playing Atmos Red TS in my driver) but I find the Evenflows very good in fairways. They have a nice feel, don’t feel like a telephone pole. Hit an Evenflow green in an Epic Flash 13.5 3 wood and it was a very good combo. And Evenflow blue 6.5 in a Rogue 4 wood was quite stable and very long. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 9/17/2020 at 11:38 AM, Tiptx1122 said:

Tried the MAX just was not as impressed as I was with my TM SIM. Now for the biggest surprise was when I picked up the new Big Bertha B21 10.5 stiff as this has to be the easiest driver to hit straight. Took it to the range and out of 20 plus shots I only had one pull as my normal slice turn out to be a baby fade and in the fairway. Next day played 18 as there were a couple of shots directly into the sun as it felt great sound just as good but wasn't sure how well it turned out as I was partially blinded by the sun. Then I noticed, right down the middle 270 yds out. I had my best driving hole of the day only missed one fairway by only 3 yards. Even on 2 holes I used the driver where it is tight as I usually lay up but no more as Callaway just made their best driver. At least give it a try as it may not be for everyone but for a majority of us amateurs its a driver you will want in your bag

Exactly what the Bertha B21 was designed for. Glad you found your stick !!! :classic_wink:

Titleist Pro V1X

On 9/18/2020 at 8:33 AM, Wooderson said:

That's because they are soft in the butt like...well you know.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

18 hours ago, elwhippy said:

Looking in bags at my club SIM and G410 have the Mavrik well and truly licked. Hybrids and fairways are great but the drivers feel like an empty box on a stick and cannot match their distance claims. 

I dunno what club you belong to but I golf alot and all the public courses and private courses I've been to it looks like mavrik is dominating the market.  Very very few g410 ...I see more g400 than g410.  I see a decent amt of sim in people's bag but mavrik are freaking everywhere.   I still see alot of people with relic bags with all old clubs but if you see a bag with new clubs it seems damn near everybody has something mavrik in their bag.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:46 AM, elwhippy said:

Looking in bags at my club SIM and G410 have the Mavrik well and truly licked. Hybrids and fairways are great but the drivers feel like an empty box on a stick and cannot match their distance claims. 

I love Ping clubs and still have the G400 max and may end up buying the G410 just because. 

I'm surprised you didn't think the Max felt good though. I am past the honeymoon phase on it, and i still feel like it's one of the best sounding drivers i've hit recently. It's like right in between muted and loud. A nice thwack that lets you know you hit it, but isn't obnoxious....perfect i feel. 

I still hit a ton of fairways with it. I've probably used it like 20 straight rounds now. That is very rare for me with drivers

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

On 9/19/2020 at 9:33 AM, RxGolf1 said:

The Mav max was not quite as hot as the Epic Flash lineup. But couldn't see any difference in dispersion.

I still think the original Epic is as long as anything i've ever hit. To me the Max feels like a bit more forgiving version of the Epic Subzero i own, and with improved sound. The original Epic was a bit dull for me

Deschamps Crisp Antique