Anyone using a 60+ degree wedge?

chipa

My home course is very hilly with elevated greens as well as adjacent drop offs. Plus the greens are small and hard and if you don't have the right trajectory or spin it will bounce right off. It's hard to hit the ball short and bounce it up because again most are elevated.

Taking this into account and my inability to make a decent flop shot by opening the face I've ordered an off brand 68 degree wedge to see if I can pick up 5-6 lost strokes(at least) a round to missing it where I shouldn't.

I wonder if anyone else out these is using 60+ degree wedges?

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I recently made the switch from a 58 to a 60 because I was losing strokes around the green.  It took me some getting dialed in from 95-100 with the 54 but now I'm much more effective around the greens and one of the things I didn't anticipate was I'm much better from 95 yards with the 54 because it hits and stops rather than generating tons of spin.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chipa said:

My home course is very hilly with elevated greens as well as adjacent drop offs. Plus the greens are small and hard and if you don't have the right trajectory or spin it will bounce right off. It's hard to hit the ball short and bounce it up because again most are elevated.

Taking this into account and my inability to make a decent flop shot by opening the face I've ordered an off brand 68 degree wedge to see if I can pick up 5-6 lost strokes(at least) a round to missing it where I shouldn't.

I wonder if anyone else out these is using 60+ degree wedges?

The higher the loft the more likely you will get a "glancing blow" from less than perfect contact. It's worth a try, but hitting a 68° wedge requires precision and a very confident swing. So when you do start practicing it, just remember you cannot be timid with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1Mordrid1 said:

The higher the loft the more likely you will get a "glancing blow" from less than perfect contact. It's worth a try, but hitting a 68° wedge requires precision and a very confident swing. So when you do start practicing it, just remember you cannot be timid with it.

I realize now that all the greens at my home course have a side that drops off, and most are on the left where I miss it with my draw. I am losing tons of strokes and I need to do something. I don't have a problem making an aggressive swing, I just don't like doing it with the face open because inevitably the toe sticks up because I'm only 5'6'. I think I'm going to cut the 68d to 35" to make sure I'm sufficiently upright.

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

My home course small, fast and sloping greens. When I play there I carry a 64 degree wedge to help pop it up out of the thick rough around the greens, but when I play other courses I drop the 64

• Like 2

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Cleveland RTX 64* wedge. Good for 50 to 70 yard carry shots.

Edited by Fairway14
  • Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I always have a 60* in the bag, and use it a fair amount, but that's as much for the fact that it has low bounce (4*) as it is for its loft. I like options for bounce depending on turf/sand conditions.

I used to carry a 64* wedge when I regularly played a course where every green is both elevated and surrounded by berms. That club was my "rescue" club for that course when I short sided myself. But, I don't play there as much these days, so the 64* sits in the garage.

• Like 1

Carry a 64 degree Callaway PM grind. Use 56 for most shots but 64 is nice when you need it. 

• Like 3

PING G430 MAX 10K DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

PING G430 MAX 3W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 MAX 7W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 5H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA 105i

LAB LINK.1 w/LAB x ACCRA

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM (Just in case) 

I still carry Callaway original PM Grind 64* for those shots and short side bunkers.  I can’t live without my 64* wedge! You can close it little bit to get more spins. I never need to play it open , just straight or close it.

Edited by Phil Major
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

Thanks for all of the insight, I don't feel so bad getting a 68 degree. If it proves too much I'll try the 64 degree.

Notes:

On 10/21/2020 at 4:21 AM, Phil Major said:

I still carry Callaway original PM Grind 64* for those shots and short side bunkers.  I can’t live without my 64* wedge! You can close it little bit to get more spins. I never need to play it open , just straight or close it.

Me too! Although mine is definitely due for replacement.

I often play it with a full swing but I love playing with the face so a full swing might just be 30 metres over a bunker to a tightly tucked pin, or whatever. The course I usually play is pretty hilly and the rough is kind of tight but fluffy in places - if I'm on the side of a hill behind a green (say I've overshot) I can open the face right up, play off the down-hill, and still get the ball to stop. And out of sand... magic. I keep a 6 degree gap between pitching (46), 52, 58 (PM), and 64 (PM) and don't feel as though I've got yardage gaps because I rarely use the loft on the 58 or 64 for full approach shots, only special shots from weird locations. Flops, bunkers, hills, etc.

I don't know if I'd get the same versatility from just the 58. Maybe. Dunno.

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

I love me some loft. Use my 60 a ton around the greens. 68 seems pretty crazy to me though. Seems like you'd have to play it square all the time, whereas I like being able to open the face for different turf conditions. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

A buddy of mine found a ... 70° or 72° or something in the used rack at Roger Dunn for like $20. Brought it out for a round and we all played it on a short par 3.

Thing was impossible to not just slide under the ball and send it maybe 20 yards. Kinda fun and funny buuuuuut pretty sure I wouldn't waste space in the bag on one.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

@chipa Years back I had a 68* Vega I toyed with off and on for a season for that 10-20 yd shot I needed to elevate and couldn't make the 58 work. I eventually ended up dropping it and the 58 for a 60 bent to 61 and have been happy ever since. This wedge and the others 63-77* have a function and your reasoning for getting one is a valid one IMHO. But you're gonna have to practice with it and play it pretty well "straight up".  As previously mentioned, you can't be timid with it. It will surprise you how firm you have to squarely strike the ball for it to go 25 yards in your intended direction. Be sure to play it in the center-back of your stance with a little positive shaft lean. 

Let us know how it goes and I wish you luck my friend.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

When you hit the shot perfectly with a high lofted club I can imagine doing some fabulous things. But the higher the loft the more difficult the shot is to pull off in my opinion. I suspect most people will see negative results with too high of a loft on their lob wedge. Rather than saving you five or six strokes I can see a club like a 68 degree lob wedge costing you five or six strokes .

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Hi toe 60 for me. Works wonders out of sand or when I’m short sided. Most of the time if there is green to work with I use a PW

• Like 1

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

I have a 64* Hi-Toe but that only goes in the bag when I play the local short course. Few of the par 3’s are under 80 yards. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS- Ventus Red TR 7X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3W- GD DI 8TX

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 2HY- GD DI 105X

TaylorMade P770 3i MMT 125TX

TaylorMade P7MB- 4-PW MMT 125TX

TaylorMade MG4 54/60- MMT 125 TX

Phantom X 7.5/9.5

34 minutes ago, nitram said:

@chipa Years back I had a 68* Vega I toyed with off and on for a season for that 10-20 yd shot I needed to elevate and couldn't make the 58 work. I eventually ended up dropping it and the 58 for a 60 bent to 61 and have been happy ever since. This wedge and the others 63-77* have a function and your reasoning for getting one is a valid one IMHO. But you're gonna have to practice with it and play it pretty well "straight up".  As previously mentioned, you can't be timid with it. It will surprise you how firm you have to squarely strike the ball for it to go 25 yards in your intended direction. Be sure to play it in the center-back of your stance with a little positive shaft lean. 

Let us know how it goes and I wish you luck my friend.

Thanks bud. I'm going to give this a 68 a try to save some strokes when I'm way below the green mostly. Maybe when I get the hang of it and some confidence I'll get a 64 degree. My wedge play and putting have always cost me strokes but I hope to change that - the putting is already better after I saw that people here were using round grips. One guy said he had too many "lines" to line up, the grip and the face etc. and honestly I think he was right. I improved with the round grip then got a half mallet and now I only have one "line" to line up and I have never putted so well.

• Like 2

Notes:

Simpler is almost always better for me, especially in putting. On your new wedge, just remember to not play it forward of center or you're talking chili-dip city. Start by playing it in the center and progress to your back foot. it'll fly plenty high. 

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I gave a 64 degree a go a couple years back. I found I wasn't using it enough to justify a place in the bag. If your home course favors a 64 I would say you would need to generally practice more with this club than a regular lob or sand wedge. Contact is glancing and speed needs to be kept up. But honestly at nearly all courses you don't need a 64 if you are good with 60.

• Like 1

I've played a 64° PM Grind since February, and it's like cheating out of the bunker. Also extremely easy to use around the greens, but I can't seem to hit a full shot with it, so it's not extremely versatile.

Came across a 62° JAWS wedge for a good price and put it in the bag yesterday. Much easier to hit full shots with, and is still nice around the greens. Further testing is necessary, particularly out of bunkers, which I didn't get to do yesterday (always a good problem to have). 

I would rather a specialty club like a wedge of this sort in my bag than something else at the top of the bag that I won't use very often at all.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

I use a 60 here and there and before that only a 58... i chip much better with lower lofts but obviously there are some situations that call for a high lob shot. I use it maybe once or twice a round... i also like chipping with it in the summer because its a c grind 8 bounce and it does well in firm/medium turf over soft or soggy. The lobs require practice for sure.

• Like 1

Carry a 60. Always have.

Great for chipping to elevated greens, deep bunkers and flop shots. Probably use it 4-5 times per round. 

Very rarely do I hit full shots with it. 

• Like 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

Against all "Amateur" recommendations, I carry a RTX4 62 and use it routinely.  I feel very confident using it and have not found a club to replace it with in my bag.  

• Like 2

Stealth w/ Oban Airburst Cobalt -or-
Paradym w/ Vanquish 

Srixon MKII ZX7/5 combo w/ Axioms!
Taylormade P770 w/ MMT stiff -or-
Adams Tour-issue CB5 Satin DG S300
Paradym 16.5 4-wood Ventus Blue 7s
Miura Tour 52, 56, 60 w/ MMT 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 33" 350g 

My 68 degree wedge just arrived and it looks like a spatula it's too big. I need to find something a lot smaller and I expect it will be 60-64 degrees.

• Haha 1

Notes: