Why do we collectively continue to buy new drivers each year?

clinkinfo

9 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

FOMO is a big one. 

I'm playing a 2014 Cobra BioCell driver (that I bought new but one year old in 2015) and I tried to replace it with a Mavrik last year through a fitting at a demo day. Couldn't beat it. 

Now I'm going into 2021 with the same thought process- I need to go get fitted because these new drivers just HAVE to be a TON better than my 2014 Cobra... right? Based on the data I've seen... I doubt it. I mean, Rick Shiels just did a 5 year test with most major brands a year or two ago, he was swinging then around 111-112 and he's still swinging 111-112 in 2021, and the distances he's getting are really close to the same. And the BioCell was already known to have the weight low and back, so I doubt how much more forgiving/stable the new ones are. A little I'm sure... but $500-600 worth? 

I think the smartest thing you can do when shopping for drivers is to take your old one in with you and be sure to hit it alongside anything that catches your eye. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

When is someone going to offer a raw driver? Just saying.

• Haha 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Golfs most difficult hazard is the one between your ears.  

There have been advances these last few years that have allowed me to continue to drive the ball almost as far as I once did. 

I like to bet.  I feel more equal to the competition having at least equal equipment.  

Satisfying the itch to remain competitive seems ok to me. 

If a new toy upgrade helps your confidence then do it.   

• Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I don't buy new, heck my driver is about 10 years old now and I've had it for a year. I think it's a mixture of things, mostly just plain "I want to and I can afford it so I'm going to." Then for me it's wondering if this piece of equipment will fit my game better, and retail therapy.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Maybe spend that money on lessons or short game fitting (wedge and putter).

Most people who continue to buy drivers are just looking for something to make them hit it longer or straighter but the fact is, it's probably your technique. I mean if you have the money go for it, but you could better spend your money to lower your scores with a few lessons and proper club fitting. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:52 PM, clinkinfo said:

So as golf enthusiasts we likely realize that driver technology is maxed out, and every new driver right now is simply a different color and shape, and really doesn’t offer performance differences from the prior model.  Somewhere inside I think we know that’s true, especially those of us that objectively test on launch monitors a lot. 

Yet, we as a community keep spending money buying up the newest ones.

Why?  Why aren’t we changing our buying behaviors when we know the newest model isn’t going to give us anything new in performance? 

Why we do that? Because THEY told us we're better players when we do. As for me, I play for over 30 years. If I bought the newest driver that hits it 15 yards further and is x % more precise I would be hitting 116% of the fairways and I would be driving it around 520 Yards on average with 90mph swing speed.  The truth is that in the 30 years i had a few developping steps in driver use. In 1998 I switched from my trusty Louisville Persimmon to a Great Big Bertha, that thing had a wayyyy bigger hitting area. In 2007 I switched to the Cleveland HiBore (with the dent in the crown, even more forgiving and a tad longer) and played that until I got hold of a 2016 Great Big Bertha. With this change I recognized a significant jump in distance. But everything I tested since then didn't feel better, didn't hit easier and didn't go longer. No plans to switch in 2021.

But hey, using new stuff can be fun. I play the drums, and i have around 15 snares at home. Do I need all that stuff? No! Is it fun tweaking around with it.Yes!

My buddy is an 18 hdcp that plays a nice 3 year old set of Callaway GI irons. They are not holding him back, he is holding himself back. He tells me one day, after being frustrated on the range, ‘I’m going to get some new irons, any advice?’ I thought to myself, that’s not going to help you, you’re equipment is fine. 

Later that week, I was out testing new clubs, knowing it was my missing link. Then it hit me like lightning out of the clear blue sky!
New clubs only work for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do it so I can gain 10-15 yards each time, at 62 I should be driving Par 4's now and some Par 5's but nope still just trying to get 250 yds consistently.

Maybe this time, with the Max LS and this shaft and grip with new shoes and glove it will happen. Or I will just have fun and buy the Max LS TD when it comes out because IT could be the one. 

• Haha 2

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

On 3/14/2021 at 9:13 AM, The Mad Bomber said:

I've been pretty staunch on picking up every other release from Titleist, which is already on a 2 year release cycle, so every 4 years. The only exception has been TS3 to TSi3, so only 2 years there. But if you've hit those two drivers side by side, you know that the new driver is not a giant leap in performance, but the look, the sound (oh my gawd, the sound) and feel of the TSi have literally made me never want to hit my TS3 again. It's for sale as of right now.

Damn you!

• Haha 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

On 3/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, BallerNate said:

Man, so frustrating!! I lost an average of 40-50+ yards with my Driver, and can’t keep the Driver or 3-Wood straight. Brutal!!

My exact sentiments.......however I believe I've recouped some of it with the reincarnation of my all-time favorite driver the R510 non-tp 330cc!  

The Epic Speed has been that driver I've looked for in 10.5* for the past 15yrs......looks, feel/sound and flight are spot on except head is bigger, more forgiving and more stable.......I found my unicorn and hopefully remove myself from the carousel mentioned.  

BTW,  I'm lefty so selection has been slim pickins'

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

My exact sentiments.......however I believe I've recouped some of it with the reincarnation of my all-time favorite driver the R510 non-tp 330cc!  

The Epic Speed has been that driver I've looked for in 10.5* for the past 15yrs......looks, feel/sound and flight are spot on except head is bigger, more forgiving and more stable.......I found my unicorn and hopefully remove myself from the carousel mentioned.  

BTW,  I'm lefty so selection has been slim pickins'

Nice, enjoy!

Well, I sold my SIM Max D today and went back to Callaway. My best Driver results so far have been with the Cally Rogue, so going to try the Mavrik w/ a Tensei AV Blue shaft to get the magic touch back!

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 minute ago, BallerNate said:

Nice, enjoy!

Well, I sold my SIM Max D today and went back to Callaway. My best Driver results so far have been with the Cally Rogue, so going to try the Mavrik w/ a Tensei AV Blue shaft to get the magic touch back!

That's the Shaft! Tensei Blue AV 65R 💙

In my Speed head......

24 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

That's the Shaft! Tensei Blue AV 65R 💙

In my Speed head......

Awesome! Yeah, I’ve heard it’s a great one and hopefully will lead to excellent results...can’t wait to get it out on the range/course!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Well, I’m on my 4th Driver in the last year...so 1 per year would actually be a major improvement for me!! 🤣

Edited by BallerNate
  • Haha 3

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 3/14/2021 at 12:36 PM, Forged4ever said:

I'd be curious as to how long the Plus Players Play their drivers. From 1992-2013(+2.8 to +3.6), I Played 3 drivers and 4 sets of irons(I Played a set for two years and just replaced with same irons, the Mizzy 14's, 33's, 68's & Staff 59's, with my last two sets, the 68's & Staff 59's, coming in a 3 year period, 2010-1013).

Most of the guys that I Played against/with were of a similar mentality as when we found something that felt good and worked, we stuck with it. 

Maddie is still Playin her Nike VR Pro LE Forged Driver and that stick's about a decade old. Though she's a Mizzy staffer, it's a 12 club contract. 

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends
RP

I'm a plus player and I like to change things up alot.... if it works.  Just got a new driver this week.. went from the Epic Flash to the Epic Max.. got fit by a Callaway rep, outside, with Trackman and Prov1s.. Distance was almost identical, but flight was higher with the max and dispersion was much better!  That is using the same shaft in both on identical settings.. In reality I probably would shoot the same scores with any of the irons or driver I use but it's fun to change.

• Like 4

The Max LS is turning out to be a good purchase, so far I am consistently longer than the PXG proto was on the same Courses and even absolute crap swings stay in play. Its not 20 yds longer all the time, but in the right conditions (downwind) I have seen 20 more yards and set at 10.5* N with the weight out towards the toe it is straight or a slight cut and launches nice and high with any sort of a good swing.

We don't get much rollout here in Central Florida but a few times it has kicked ahead for a few more yards which is a bonus.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

We fall for the advertising hype. They have been saying the same things for years. Longer, more accurate, more forgiving. They never tell what it's longer, more accurate and more forgiving than. Their previous model, or any other driver?

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

On 3/15/2021 at 10:28 AM, me05501 said:

I think the smartest thing you can do when shopping for drivers is to take your old one in with you and be sure to hit it alongside anything that catches your eye. 

Jackpot!! Great point...wish I had done this before getting rid of my Cally Rogue over the Winter...

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 3/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, cgasucks said:

Because some people with more money than brains like to buy shiny new things and play what the pros play on TV.

I bet you're a blast to get paired up with....

First of all anyone can spend their money however they want, after all it's their money. 

I buy a new driver when I want to buy one, sometimes it's 1 year sometimes its 4. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Simmer7 said:

I bet you're a blast to get paired up with....

First of all anyone can spend their money however they want, after all it's their money

I buy a new driver when I want to buy one, sometimes it's 1 year sometimes its 4. 

Yeah.  That's right.

Hypothetically speaking, I've heard stories on this site of hackers with $2k+ clubs custom fitted at their local Club Champion being paired up with total strangers shooting par or better with clubs that look like it came out of a Goodwill.   Wouldn't you feel the least intimidated by them?

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

27 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Yeah.  That's right.

Hypothetically speaking, I've heard stories on this site of hackers with $2k+ clubs custom fitted at their local Club Champion being paired up with total strangers shooting par or better with clubs that look like it came out of a Goodwill.   Wouldn't you feel the least intimidated by them?

No I do my best to not feel intimidated by anyone. We all put our pants on 1 leg at a time.

Personally I don't care if someone drives up in a Porsche, wears a Patek Phillipe watch, has the latest set of PXG's and shoots 153 as long as they are enjoyable to play with and are a decent human being...Same applies for the person that shows up in a 1986 Chevette, with a Casio and a set of blades and persimmon woods that shoots 66.

I enjoy the game along with spending time with and meeting good people..

Edited by Simmer7
  • Like 4