Why do we collectively continue to buy new drivers each year?

clinkinfo

So as golf enthusiasts we likely realize that driver technology is maxed out, and every new driver right now is simply a different color and shape, and really doesn’t offer performance differences from the prior model.  Somewhere inside I think we know that’s true, especially those of us that objectively test on launch monitors a lot.  

Plus, With YouTube comparisons all over the place, you’d THINK we would easily see and understand that there’s nothing in the new models.  I think Rick shields has said “well, there’s nothing really in it” about a hundred times already this pre-season in his comparison reviews.  Callaway, cobra, ping.....it doesn’t matter.  Every comparison video shows the same thing, the exact same performance between the old and new models.  

Yet, we as a community keep spending money buying up the newest ones.

Why?  Why aren’t we changing our buying behaviors when we know the newest model isn’t going to give us anything new in performance? 

• Like 1

I can't afford to buy new, let alone every year. I upgraded from my Nike Sumo driver to an adjustable Taylormade M3 for a change this year. Would have gone with the R1 I bought, but it had issues.

Spending more than $100 for a single club is beyond my comfort level. I have way better things to do with my fun money than to chase technology. Considering how little has been gained in the last decade, it's hard for me personally to justify it.

• Like 4

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I've been pretty staunch on picking up every other release from Titleist, which is already on a 2 year release cycle, so every 4 years. The only exception has been TS3 to TSi3, so only 2 years there. But if you've hit those two drivers side by side, you know that the new driver is not a giant leap in performance, but the look, the sound (oh my gawd, the sound) and feel of the TSi have literally made me never want to hit my TS3 again. It's for sale as of right now.

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I buy new “used” so that I can sell last years model hopefully before the price drops too much.  Similar to phones.  I buy outright every year and sell my previous Gen iPhone even though it does everything I need just fine.

I lose a bit on these types of transactions but when you spread the cost over the year it really is a minimal cost to play/use what I want for the year.

I just like new things for the year to get me excited about the coming season.

• Like 3

If I hadn’t cracked the face of my Ping G30 ls tec, I’d still be playing it. My driver before that was a Titleist 905r which I loved, but swing changes and age made me change to the Ping. The 905r  I keep in my car for times I can hit the range on the way home from work in the winter ( I cracked the G30 face last winter) 

i can’t see the Ping G410 lst leaving the bag any time soon. My numbers are optimized and I like everything about the driver. I’ll have it for the next 3-5 years most likely unless the face cracks. Once you find a set up that produces optimum numbers for your swing, why change ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Typo
  • Like 2

Great question. I’m regretting selling my Cally Rogue Driver and 3-Wood right now.

Had great consistency and distance from them, but figured I could do even better with newer clubs.

Sold them and bought a SIM Max D Driver and 3-Wood, and went from those 2 being my best 2 clubs in the bag to my worst 2.

I’m sure it’s probably a shaft issue, being rusty from the Winter, or just have to get used to them...but man I sure wish I had my Rogues right now and regret “upgrading”.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I fell into this when I was in high school and college. Was always trying to buy a better game. 

Once I figured out it wast the equipment and fixed my game, the scores started going down. 

Just recently picked up a ts4 to replace my 905t that I’ve had since it was new. I will say that the miss hits are a bit better  with the ts4 than the old 905t.  But when I hit it on the screws it’s pretty much the same. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Great question. I’m regretting selling my Cally Rogue Driver and 3-Wood right now.

Had great consistency and distance from them, but figured I could do even better with newer clubs.

Sold them and bought a SIM Max D Driver and 3-Wood, and went from those 2 being my best 2 clubs in the bag to my worst 2.

I’m sure it’s probably a shaft issue, being rusty from the Winter, or just have to get used to them...but man I sure wish I had my Rogues right now and regret “upgrading”.

Isn't it fun coming out of hibernation every winter and seeing what your swing is going to look like for the summer? lol

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I'd be curious as to how long the Plus Players Play their drivers. From 1992-2013(+2.8 to +3.6), I Played 3 drivers and 4 sets of irons(I Played a set for two years and just replaced with same irons, the Mizzy 14's, 33's, 68's & Staff 59's, with my last two sets, the 68's & Staff 59's, coming in a 3 year period, 2010-1013).

Most of the guys that I Played against/with were of a similar mentality as when we found something that felt good and worked, we stuck with it. 

Maddie is still Playin her Nike VR Pro LE Forged Driver and that stick's about a decade old. Though she's a Mizzy staffer, it's a 12 club contract. 

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Because most folks are never satisfied with their performance. For most, it's easier to change the club(s) vs having the patience and determination to implement a tweak to your swing.

• Thanks 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

6 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

Isn't it fun coming out of hibernation every winter and seeing what your swing is going to look like for the summer? lol

Man, so frustrating!! I lost an average of 40-50+ yards with my Driver, and can’t keep the Driver or 3-Wood straight. Brutal!!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I'm slow to change on Drivers... my history.. Titleist 983...TM R7...Titliest D910.... Callaway EPIC SZ.  I've tried the new drivers, and there is no improvement. Hence... no changes. 

I have looked at a shaft change this year, as I'm getting older and swing is not as aggressive. But... bought a used shaft to make the change.

Driver prices are crazy. The EPIC SZ was the first driver I ever purchased new. The improvement with the EPIC was dramatic, but I'm not inclined to buy new again. Last years model should be good.

• Like 1

Only if it looks better, feels better or sounds better and now perhaps more forgiving compared to the past drivers.

So...yes there is a reason!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

6 minutes ago, L29 said:

The answer to the OP’s question is because golf and golf equipment can be one’s passionate hobby just like collecting stamps, tweaking out muscle cars, or fly fishing.

In terms of practicality, did you really need that upgraded tranny or 1000$ fly fishing reel?  Of course not,  but as long as it’s your disposable income and you gain enjoyment from it, then more power to you.  I think most everyone on this board knows by now you can’t buy a competent golf game through equipment alone. 

Agree.  It’s a hobby. I upgrade annually.   This year I’m excited because I am hoping the forgiveness aspect built into the Sim2 will help.  Keep in mind it’s not just the driver head upgrade that is part of the hobby, it’s the shaft upgrades annually too! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

What can i get you for Xmas i love you...the bonus cheque... or its 4/6/8 years old for god sake....or the 2 year old one is Half Price,thats when i bought a 917 d2 30 months ago..its all when do you deserve the upgrade in Your Mind!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Because some people enjoy getting a new driver every year.  Others don’t get enjoyment from getting a new driver so they don’t.  I think people who don’t switch often think that everyone that does has been brainwashed into thinking they can buy a better game.  I think most are smart enough to know any improvement will be slight, but that doesn’t make it wrong to upgrade.  Equipment is fun.  For me, and my finances it is hard to justify, but to many who play golf, $600 a year for a new driver is not that much.  If it was a negligible expense for me I would probably try new things regularly (I mean I do, but have to choose carefully on high dollar th8ngs like drivers).

• Like 1

Because some people with more money than brains like to buy shiny new things and play what the pros play on TV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I don’t.  Every three years for me 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

3 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

So as golf enthusiasts we likely realize that driver technology is maxed out, and every new driver right now is simply a different color and shape, and really doesn’t offer performance differences from the prior model.  Somewhere inside I think we know that’s true, especially those of us that objectively test on launch monitors a lot.  

Plus, With YouTube comparisons all over the place, you’d THINK we would easily see and understand that there’s nothing in the new models.  I think Rick shields has said “well, there’s nothing really in it” about a hundred times already this pre-season in his comparison reviews.  Callaway, cobra, ping.....it doesn’t matter.  Every comparison video shows the same thing, the exact same performance between the old and new models.  

Yet, we as a community keep spending money buying up the newest ones.

Why?  Why aren’t we changing our buying behaviors when we know the newest model isn’t going to give us anything new in performance? 

Because we are social people and we want to impress out friends. Also, placebo effect is real... sometimes its just gives you confidence, or *hope* 😭

• Like 1

Because we hope next season will be better than the last.....and we get excited that new club is going to be better than our old one.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

For me it’s always the one. I have but it’s been pricey with lots of shafts, various brands loft sleeves, and custom weighted heads. It’s been more than optimizing launch monitor numbers as three set ups I recently purchased...almost identical performance. The trial over the past two years allowed me to understand what is my preference on sound, look at address to aid my set up and take away, and ultimately adjustability for future tweaking as needed after fit. Lastly it’s spendy but fun like a hobby. I used to say I got it and I’m done but no fooling anyone with that. 

• Haha 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I don’t feel the need to buy one every year, but if there’s one I want I’m not going to come up with some reason to buy it. If Its something I want that’s enough of a reason to buy it. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I changed drivers probably every two years through the first part of '0's. Once I put the M2 in the bag its stayed. Still there. I am starting the process of looking now. I don't want it to break and be forced to grab something. 

To your point. Forged4ever. I put the Titleist 710mb's in play as soon as they came out. I tried a few other irons but always went back to them. I bought the 919 tours last year and can finally say. They are retired.

4 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

Because we like the new shiny stuff!

As somebody who has changed drivers every year for the last few years sometimes it's because the look / sound of the new driver is better than the old one. Sometimes your swing changes (did for me) and you need a different spec.

Up here Golftown has a trade-in event which essentially let's you pick up the new model for about $150 CDN if you trade in last year's model. Not a terrible burden financially.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"