Cavity back or blade type wedge?

jjfcpa

So I was watching a video posted by 2nd Swing on wedges and they mentioned that most people that are playing cavity back irons should probably be playing cavity back wedges, such as, the Cleveland CBX 2 or the Callaway CB wedges.

I've been playing the Callaway MD wedges (currently the Jaws MD5) and feel very confident with them... in fact, I've often said, I wish they made irons that felt as good.  I guess these would be considered blade type wedges?

I currently play the Apex CF21's and I'm guessing these are cavity back irons.  I tired the CB wedges that Callaway offers and I thought they felt clunky.  Couldn't really manipulate them like I can the MD5's and just did not add any confidence behind the ball.  Reminded me very much of the kind of wedges that are included in a "set" of irons and I've never been happy or successful with them.

How many of you are playing cavity back irons and blade type wedges?

• Like 2

All blade style wedges unless they are set CB wedges.  Never given a thought to "CB wedges" as I don't think they would "help" that much if any appreciable amount.  To me it is just a marketing thing to try and get you to try something else out.

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei 1K Pro White 60 TX

Titleist TS2 16.5* Tensei 1K Pro White 80 TX

Titleist TS3 19* AV Raw Blue 75X

TM P760 4-P TI S400 

TM MG 50/54/58 TI S400

Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line 35"

7 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

So I was watching a video posted by 2nd Swing on wedges and they mentioned that most people that are playing cavity back irons should probably be playing cavity back wedges, such as, the Cleveland CBX 2 or the Callaway CB wedges.

I've been playing the Callaway MD wedges (currently the Jaws MD5) and feel very confident with them... in fact, I've often said, I wish they made irons that felt as good.  I guess these would be considered blade type wedges?

I currently play the Apex CF21's and I'm guessing these are cavity back irons.  I tired the CB wedges that Callaway offers and I thought they felt clunky.  Couldn't really manipulate them like I can the MD5's and just did not add any confidence behind the ball.  Reminded me very much of the kind of wedges that are included in a "set" of irons and I've never been happy or successful with them.

There have been posts by people who I believe ought to know that above 40* a cavity offers little-to-no additional benefit.

Always wondered about that myself. An equal misshit with a wedge (at least as much as I could determine) always seemed to get closer to the intended distance I expected than the same miss would've been had it been a mid or even sometimes a short CB iron.

Possibly the reason why Titleist, Cobra, TM and Callaway either haven't offered CB wedges, or at least not pushed them very much. Even Cleveland markets their blade wedges more so that the CBs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 3

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus Yellow HC 6.0 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrids 17*, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Cally PM Grind 56 KBS Tour 115

Odyssey V-Line (Today)

Titleist ProV1 (Yellow)

I play blade wedges personally.  I don't see any benefit from CB style wedges around the green or on partial wedge shots.  I guess they could provide some help on full swing mis-hits, but I've never seen an improvement in overall scores when playing CB's throughout the bag.  The addition of CB wedges is unlikely to produce any scoring benefits for me over time as well.  

• Like 1

Sun Mountain C130-S / Titleist TSi4 9* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 TX / Titleist TSi3 15* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 TX / New Level NLU-01 18* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5 / New Level 902 Forged 4-PW DG TI X100 / Vokey SM8 50,54,58 DG S200 / Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven

When it came to wedges, your strategy and practice habits can help answer this question.

Bear with me. Some 14 years ago, I got my first real club fittings in more than a decade. One of the challenges was selecting a wedge mix from the big explosion in specialty (non-set) wedges.

I was playing 91-to-88 golf at the time. In regards to more aggressive wedges, my pro told me "Go ahead and use blades. You practice carefully, and can handle them." 

Another factor: what is your wedge strategy? If you hit mainly square-face wedges and vary your backswing to control distance, the CB high-bounce wedges will work. But if you cash in on hand and shaft lean manipulation, the blades may help you more.

And, another approach is the "engage the bounce" philosophy. Bouncers have mid-high to very high bounce wedges, and skim the club along the ground to make contact with the ball. Bouncers do not engage the leading edge, nor take long beaver pelt divots. The idea is that bouncers get a margin of error. If the shot is hit a little fat, it will have less backspin and roll out toward pin. If the shot is picked clean, it will carry farther in the air and bite more (less rollout). The big-divot crowd tends to have a good shot or a bad shot.

Edited by ChipNRun
typo
  • Like 2

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

CB wedges IMO only help the beginner.  Wedges are more about accuracy as opposed to needing the assist of forgiveness to hit a given club 160yds.  Picking the right wedge grind/specs that fit your skill level is as important to your sanity as picking the right irons.  It's NOT about which is best, but what works in your hands.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

The best wedge players that I play with don't have anything special for equipment.  One scratch guy uses the set wedge that came with his box set of clubs.  I go back and forth between my set SW and a blade SW.  The older Cleveland CG14 and CG16 are a good compromise between blade and CB.  

Edited by LeoLeo99

6 hours ago, CactusGolf said:

I can shank, thin, or fat any wedge.  I'm just that good.

I've played both CB wedges (CBX-type) and now my Callaway MD3s since they came out.  I really haven't noticed a noticeable benefit to playing one over the other as long as the bounce is right for the type of course and how I deliver the club to the ball.

It's funny you say that.. i feel i can do that with gi irons or blades... so i just play blades... i like it.

• 2 months later...

I was just looking into this. I settled on a 50 degree GW CBX2 for pitch shots and bump and run and heavy grass. I have vokey 54/58 for the "finesse" Lob and high soft shots. Of course I blade the crap out of most of those so I use my cbx more and more.

I think the CBX has a higher swingweight? It definitely feels like it, I don't feel as flippy with it. 

On 4/13/2021 at 10:33 AM, nsxguy said:

There have been posts by people who I believe ought to know that above 40* a cavity offers little-to-no additional benefit.

Always wondered about that myself. An equal misshit with a wedge (at least as much as I could determine) always seemed to get closer to the intended distance I expected than the same miss would've been had it been a mid or even sometimes a short CB iron.

Possibly the reason why Titleist, Cobra, TM and Callaway either haven't offered CB wedges, or at least not pushed them very much. Even Cleveland markets their blade wedges more so that the CBs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Agree.  When it gets down to wedges, they have such large sweet spots, that it would matter very little at that point in terms of forgiveness IMO. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

https://www.golfwrx.com/648020/the-wedge-guy-in-defense-of-blade-irons/

I honestly agree with the above linked article in that for many golfers the lower cog and heel/toe forgiveness loses its effectiveness in short irons and wedges.  In fact the lower cog actually makes them less effective for me personally.  I need more mass up high in the face for shots from the rough for instance.  

TS3 9.5 @ 10.25 Hzrdus smoke black 60g 6.5 (C4 setting)

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 (A1 setting)
TS3 18 degree @ 17.25 hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 (D1 setting)
P790 UDI 18* (KBS tour 130x)

818h2 19* @ 20* (ck blue 80x at 39.5) 16g neutral, c3 setting

TS3 21* 23* KBS Tour 130x at 38.5" (A3 setting)
Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4) (KBS tour 130x)

Vokey sm8 50/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm8 56/14 at 55, 60/8 KBS $ taper HT 125
1995 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"/ Cameron Futura 6m

I've been in a transition to anything that will make golf easier for me. Instead of trying to get clubs at the very edge of what I can get away with. I switched to the CBX2 from Mack Daddy 4's about 2 months ago in 54 and 58. My proximity to the hole has improved greatly and chunking the ball has went to effectively zero. Do they feel as good when you hit the ball? Absolutely not. Are they confidence inspiring, absolutely yes. The bounce is not much different but the width of the sole helps my swing on my home course drastically. 

I play around a 9 - 10. I just holed a 93 yarder with SW at Pinehurst 2 weeks ago, missed a bounce in the next round from 55. I have had 2 more within 3 feet from 60 - 80 yards in the past 2 rounds. I went from really struggling to it being the most fun part of my game. They are just as easy out of the sand and no trouble from a tight lie. I got used to them really quick. 

If you want to make golf easier and wedges are a point of contention with your confidence and execution I'd advise you to give them a try. 

On 7/1/2021 at 9:57 AM, texas_tom said:

I was just looking into this. I settled on a 50 degree GW CBX2 for pitch shots and bump and run and heavy grass. I have vokey 54/58 for the "finesse" Lob and high soft shots. Of course I blade the crap out of most of those so I use my cbx more and more.

I think the CBX has a higher swingweight? It definitely feels like it, I don't feel as flippy with it. 

Maybe stock they do, but I changed to KBS 610's and it took around 10g of brass to get the 58 to D5 and 14g of brass and 3g of lead tape to get the 54 to D4.5. 

I've used Ping wedges for about 20 years. They have all had some form of cavity back. I'm sure I could use a Vokey or Cleveland and get the same results, but Ping irons and wedges just look good to me.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Max Driver
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i200 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Odyssey OG #7

I think Ping Glides are a perfect balance. They also blend well with my i210s. 

For me, weight is the biggest factor. Whenever I pick up a Vokey, it feels like a sledgehammer. If I were to go to a blade, I'd probably do so with my 58...but my Ping Glide 58 is my favorite club in the bag, so that ain't happening. 

If you look at Ping staffers, it's fairly common that they use a 60 degree Vokey and Glide everything else. 

CBXs go too far, in my opinion, and I wouldn't want to play them....but I have seen them work well for others. 

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I actually just experimented with this when I got the matching gap wedge to go with my new 0311T set. After playing my 5th round, I’m in love with every club but the gap. 

It’s good on full swings, but lacks in precision and control on every other shot. I’ll be switching to back to a traditional 50 to go along with my 54 and 58. 

I have always played blade style wedges because that was what was available, unless your set had a GAP wedge and SW.

Over the last few years I have played SM7’s, switching the MD 4’s. Read the article about how most CB irons should probably play CB wedges.

I currently play the Ping G25’s, so switched to CBX2‘s of 50/54/58, replacing my set GAP

Love the forgiveness of these clubs. I hit lots of full shots with all my clubs, so having a 58 that I can swing full has an appeal to me.

The feel is not that of the SM7’s or MD4, but no different then the feel of my current irons

I’ve not seen any evidence that blade wedges are more accurate than cavity back wedges. I’d say it is more about blade size — can be a bit more precise with a smaller face. I have a Vokey 54 sm6 and a CBX2 58. Both are needed. The 54 is super, no doubt, but the CBX2 truly is a get out of jail card from deep grass, sand, hard pan — anything — and that’s why I carry it. But I also have hit numerous typical shots with it from the fairway to kick-in putts. It’s accurate if I am. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

I’ve not seen any evidence that blade wedges are more accurate than cavity back wedges. I’d say it is more about blade size — can be a bit more precise with a smaller face. I have a Vokey 54 sm6 and a CBX2 58. Both are needed. The 54 is super, no doubt, but the CBX2 truly is a get out of jail card from deep grass, sand, hard pan — anything — and that’s why I carry it. But I also have hit numerous typical shots with it from the fairway to kick-in putts. It’s accurate if I am. 

This is what I was going to mention and the direction I'm thinking.

Not a problem to carry both a blade and CB as each club serves a different purpose, and visually you can want a specific look for the shot at hand.

I have OG CBXs - 54 and 60.  60 is like magic for me with its big head and hitting area.  For the 54 I'm thinking of going back to a more compact head, which can be a blade or a smaller CB.  For GW I prefer a set CB head.

D1 Adams XTD, NL60TX D2 Titleist TS2, D+72X 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4I Mizuno MP-H4 6I-PW MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54, 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

I play Cleveland CBX wedges in 52, 56 and 60. I use all 3 for full shots and the 60 out of bunkers and around the green also. I have holed out several shots with each of the wedges from full shots and quite a few from the bunker with the 60. I personally love a CB in a wedge.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood

Titleist 910H 19*
Ping i-e1 5-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

On 4/13/2021 at 12:16 PM, jjfcpa said:

CB Irons and Blade Wedges.

It's easier to hit a blade with shorter length shafts and less swing speed than longer clubs. But some also like CB Wedges - I like the Ping Glides, too. Some people like the Cleveland CB wedges - a little too big for me. Manufacturers are making blade wedges more friendly - moving the COG more towards the center, etc. Find what works for you.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9/TPT Golf Shaft ● Mizuno STZ 3, 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● Ping G425 20.5 HY/TPT Golf Shaft ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 ● Odyssey 10S 2Ball ● Options: Epic Speed 4, 7 wd/Riptide 60/70, Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges and Mizuno ST-G22 Driver - From THP-MIzuno 2021 Experience