Anyone go 50, 56, 60 for their wedges?

mjedwards409

Yes sir - I go 46 50 56 60.

I like the 46 and 50 for fuller shots but will occasionally use them around the green. The 56, with it’s fuller bounce is my bunker club and my 60 is my get out of jail club. I can’t say that I very often use the 56 nor the 60 for full shots.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Thanks for the feedback all!  Decided to go 50, 56, 60 with the three new wedges.  I feel like I lose 2-3+ strokes a round with that big gap between my PW and 52 deg, so looking forward to closing that gap.  I have a much easier time taking a bit off of my gap wedge and still getting some height where I don't with my PW.  I also like chipping with my 56 deg so wanted to keep that in the bag.

Thanks again everyone!  We'll see how she goes...

• Like 1

I play 50, 56, 60. I could really care less about gaps with a wedge. It's really about the shot I want to hit. 

• Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

2 hours ago, deep18 said:

Close. I go 50/55/60 (46* PW) and that covers all the gaps for me. 

I do the same.  I’ve been doing this combination for the last few years and have been very happy with it.  I like the closer gap to my PW at 45 degrees and have always been very versatile around the green with my 55 SW.  

Driver: Ping G410 LST, 9 degree, VA Composites Raijin Black 65 X

3 Wood: Sim Tour Issue, 14.5 degree, VA Composites Synystr 75 X

Utility: Ping iCrossover 3 iron, GD 95X 

Irons: Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo, TT X100

Wedges: Vokey 54/58, S300

Putter:  Lajosi, Bellum Winnmore, or Scotty 5.5......We'll see who wins!! 

Ball: Titleist ProV1

For the longest time I went 50 gap / 54 sand / 58 low bounce lob, but came to a few realizations:

- 90% of the time I was in a bunker I was short sided and needed more loft than the 54 but more bounce than the 58.

- I chip best with my 50 or a short iron, and am better off putting anything and everything from the fringe or fairway. 

- I preferred to hit almost every pitch from 90 yards and in with my 54, varying swing length but usually sticking to a square face. However, the 54 was a little too strong for pitches inside 50 yards, so I would be forced to use my 58 a few times a round for finesse pitch shots.

- I had zero distance control on full swings with the 58, so I never used it for that.

- while I was pretty good at laying the face of my 58 open and hitting flop shots, I almost never truly needed this shot. 

so when I bought new wedges this year I decided to switch it up a bit. I kept the 50 and swapped the 54 for a 56, both F grind. And I replaced the 58 with a 60/K/14 that is almost exclusively a bunker club, and a really awesome one at that. I don’t even practice pitches or chips with the 60 and would only hit a flop shot if I had enough grass to get under it. 

As a result of moving to the 56 my short range pitching game has really improved. High/low, dead/spinny im comfortable hitting a variety of shots with this club, but I’m also not tempted to try to muscle one with it to cover the gap between that and the 50. On those tweeners I’m better off controlling both distance and direction with a shorter swing using my 50.

So now I basically carry two gap wedges and a high lofted sand wedge. this combination really makes me stronger in an area of my game that I was already good at (30-110 yards) and limits my choices to my highest percentage options in areas that I need to improve (around the greens), and most importantly, avoid catastrophic mistakes. 

my favorite on course joke is now reserved for my playing partners: “I don’t always hit my sand wedge 150 yards, but when I do it’s from a greenside bunker.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of years ago I was trying to blend specialty wedges into a prior iron set with a 46* PW.

Did a rough Vokey fitting and came up with 50-56-60 as recommended lofts. I would have needed 56 to get enough separation from the 50.

Sometimes you'll get an odd loft break if the set PW has a hotter face than the specialty irons.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I am a poor wedge player but found a DCI LW that feels great with 12 deg. bounce which I'm going to use as a sand wedge and 80 yards in. It feels so balanced(more weight near the hosel) I ordered a used set of DCI irons to complement it and will be using my 49 deg. PW for anything up to 125 yards. I have more clubs at the top end of my bag for now but may change later. I feel like having only 2 wedges for now may help me develop more feel in the shorter half shots because as it is now I rarely get up and down if I'm more than 20 yards off the green.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

This season I’ve been experimenting with the 50, 54, 58 setup, and also the 52, 58 setup.

After testing wedges that were 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, and 60 over the last 2yrs these were my findings:

-Prefer using a 54* vs a 56* (or 52*)

-Prefer using a 60* over a 58*

So if the 54 and 60 are my preferred lofts for shots within 100yds, the only GW loft that makes sense alongside them is a 50. 

Next move for me will probably be to get a 60* and test out the 50, 54, 60 setup…we’ll see how it goes.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I've used 50*/56*/60* for years but my 60* rarely gets used. Only on tight chip or bunker shots. I used to go with a 52* instead of a 50* but it left too much of a gap between my 46* PW. TBH I could get away with just using a 50* and 56*. Years ago I tried a 50*/54*/58* but I hated chipping with a 54* Much prefer using a 56*.

Edited by RH82

I've been using a 55/60 combination since putting my Golden Rams back in the bag (49* PW).  I'd been using 52/58 with my MP37s.

Its reminded me how much I like having a 55* wedge in the bag.  It tends to get a lot of use around the greens, and moderate range pitches; the 60* is used primarily as a specialty club for shorter chips and pitches, as well as bunker.

If it's of value, the 55* is a Ram TG898 56* bent 1* strong.  Decent amount of bounce.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I personally like the 50, 54, 60.  Used to be 52, 56, 60.  54° is mostly for partial shots, and I like the lower flight.  Also I feel like chips and pitches can stay low with a bit of shaft lean while maintaining bounce by opening the face a little. 

It doesn't take much to open a 54° wedge into 56°.  Here's a thread I posted last year...  Not that you'd replace wedges like this, but shows how much loft you get when opening (same decrease in loft when closing):

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 7/14/2021 at 4:58 PM, mjedwards409 said:

I've been hitting the same Acer XC wedges for going on 10 years now, so looking for a change.  Looking at the Maltby TSW DRM's.  Right now I have a 52, 56, and 60, which has worked pretty well.  My biggest issue is the gap between my PW (2007 Callaway X forged, 45 degrees,) and my 52 degree.  My stock PW goes between 140 and 145, and my stock 52 goes for about 117-120.  I find myself struggling in that 120 - 135 range, especially when I need to have it come in higher and softer.  (My knockdown PW, even if I pull it off, comes in a little lower and hotter than I'd like)  I want to put a 50 degree in the bag, as I find myself having a little more luck taking some off of my gap wedge than my PW, and hopefully I can shrink that gap a bit between gap and PW.

Anyone go with the 50, 56, 60 combination?  I was also thinking about 50, 54, 58, but I like the higher bounce options in the Maltby for the 56 and the 60, because I play mostly in softer conditions.  Thanks!

Are you sure your 2007 X Forged PW is 45*? I thought stock is 47* but maybe bent 2* strong? in anycase bending to 46* and going 50, 54 & 58 may work best yardage gap wise (that's what I'm going and I play 2007 X Forged also) have you got any more options other than Maltby to get the correct bounce?

I use a 46* PW. I would never play a set stronger than that. I have been using 50-8/56-10/60-6. I've been wanting to switch to 54/60 or drop a wedge and go 52/58 to add a club at top of bag. 

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

I don't like having a large gap between my PW and my gap wedge, for the reasons the OP stated (not enough height or spin with a "knockdown" PW on firm greens).  Also, I'd rather not have to routinely hit "partial" shots from that distance, as I have these distances a lot.

My wedges are 48* set PW, 53* set GW, 57* (high bounce) SW, and 60* (low bounce) LW.   The 5* between the PW and the GW still produces about a 12 yard gap on "full" swings.  I'd rather my "partials" be between the gap wedge and the sand wedge, since I don't really like hitting the 57* with a full swing, and I still seem to get good stopping power with a partial 53* GW.   Yep, that is 4 clubs between 48* and 60*.  For me, its about always having the optimal tool for the job around the green, so I carry both the 57* and 60*.  They do different things because of the different bounce/grinds.   

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

50-56-60

• 50 for 115-125 yds full shots and bump and runs 
  • 56 for 80-105 yds and some other half shots. 56 is my go-to wedge for chipping and bunkers. 
  • 60 for 40-75 yds, flops and spinners

I love this setup and have tried 52, 58 and some other configurations. 50,56,60 gives me the most shots and I think makes the game more fun. 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

46/51/57 works well for gapping for me. I hit all of them full as needed, no issues with the gap between the 51 and 57 for covering any distances that may fall between the two. Have also played 50/56 and 51/56, basically same story. More important for me to have the right gapping from pitch to gap wedge and then pretty easy to knock down my 51 to hit, say, a 110 yard shot. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

Just make it easy on yourself, go 45-50-55(bent)-60… you’ll see your distance control go through the roof. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

From what I gather the purpose of having multiple wedges is to have the lower yardages gaps consistently covered (say 80-130) and/or leading edge/bounce options depending on the type of lie.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Having a 6° gap between my GW through LW is a bit too much for my liking.  I wanted to maintain a 4° gap in all my irons from 6 iron on.  My wedge lofts from PW-LW are 46°, 50°, 54° and 58°.  My favorite wedge out of the bunch is my 58°.  It has been in my bag since 2016, still has plenty of life (and groove depth) left in it and is not going anywhere until the grooves are worn nearly smooth.  

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on