Rory "not patriotic"??

tsecor

Rory declined to play the Rio Olympics proclaiming it was not an important event for the game of golf. I agree with him that an Olympic medal for golf is not prestigious like winning a Major. But, the golfers who competed at Rio seem to have enjoyed the experience.

My opinion is that the Olympic games should be track, swimming, weight lifting, gymnastics  etc..., the sports that don't get much attention at any time other than the Olympics. Those athletes have earned the right to have the spotlight.

Golf, tennis , basketball etc... is on a big stage all the time, and for that reason I think those sports should not be part of the Olympics.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

36 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

he also has ,or is enitled to ,an Irish Passport

“He supports an English football team” might be the greatest reason I have ever seen for why someone should play for a particular country 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 7/19/2021 at 9:57 AM, Pepperturbo said:

There are a lot of people that like Rory, but I am not one of them.  My dislike began years back when Tiger influenced him to dump his manager to switch to Tiger's mgt company, and it resulted in Rory's breaking an implied contract and big court battle.  Never followed it to see how it settled but haven't bothered with Rory since. 

So, what he said in that interview and another interview is sad but not surprising.  Rory is all about Rory, and I don't think there's much to him.

Aren’t most of us a little full of ourselves?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

13 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

i think the problem with Rory is that the expectations wore him down because he is ultra talented. That golf swing is absolutely perfect and success at an early age is a tough thing sometimes. 

It's not perfect because he moves his head up and down a good bit.  But it's pretty damn good.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

think about how much better Rory would be if he came on golf wrx and we were able to give him some tips

• Haha 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I'm a fan of Rory.  I feel he's made so much money that the "drive" to win isn't what it once was.  Yes, he clearly wants to win , but the absolute hunger isn't there anymore and it's a guess if he will get it back.  There is such a fine line between winning and not winning on most professional golf tours.

• Like 1

Driver:  Ping G430 LST 9.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

I was never a big Rory fan but I liked him as a spoiler who would get his fair share of big wins/majors. I miss the old bop he literally had in his step early on where he just walked with such confidence and intensity. He was destined for more than he has realized. I hope he drops the nice guy routine and gets back to winning more big ones. 

All I know is this after watching him: (per round) he is two drivers more in the fairway plus three more putts falling in from contending in the big events.. His total short game is getting better and has to if he wants to play the weekend!! I wish him well

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

Don't think it is about patriotism. A lot of athletes are not looking forward to these Olympics. They will go, (especially because, in the case of some sports, they've been training for four years for one event), but the conditions there are seriously not good. Heck, the majority of the Japanese population doesn't want them there (large protests in the streets).

Competitors from outside Japan must be tested for coronavirus twice, on different days, within 96 hours before their flights to Japan. They'll be tested again upon arrival.

They are expected to download an app that will monitor their location and be used for contact tracing, and to activate the app and location services when they land in Japan.

Any sort of socializing is severely limited. There's no tourism. They can travel only in Olympic vehicles. Unless they're eating, drinking, sleeping, training or competing, athletes are expected to be masked. 

At meal times, athletes are to keep two meters away from others – or eat by themselves.

Athletes staying in the Olympic Village are to eat there or at venues or other specially-permitted locations. Those staying elsewhere may only eat at catering facilities at Games venues, the restaurant at their hotel, or in their room using room service or food delivery.

Most will be competing in completely empty stadiums. You get tested. Daily. Which hasn't helped - growing numbers of athletes and support staff are testing positive. In fact, today (July 20) the US Gymnastics team decided to move out of the Olympic Village into a hotel - they want to better control their surroundings. 

There is a massive resurgence going on it Japan right now - it has declared a state of emergency through August. The guy running the Olympics in Japan right now had a press conference today - said there was still a slight possibility that the Games might have to be cancelled.

If Rory doesn't exactly sound excited about the Olympics, it isn't really surprising. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

23 hours ago, freeze16172002 said:

You are comparing Rory to Rory. The Rory now compared to a 3 year span that ended 7 years ago? You are still waiting for that to happen again? You should get a life and let things go. Since then he has won 10 times including two tour championships and a players. That is far from average, you are just trying to get attention by trolling Rory. You have proven yourself boring....As far as the olympics if he doesnt want to go to Japan and spend weeks away from home that his decision, respect it and move on

This is what you call "butt hurt"....sad since its an open discussion......

Edited by tsecor
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Don't think it is about patriotism. A lot of athletes are not looking forward to these Olympics. They will go, (especially because, in the case of some sports, they've been training for four years for one event), but the conditions there are seriously not good. Heck, the majority of the Japanese population doesn't want them there (large protests in the streets).

Competitors from outside Japan must be tested for coronavirus twice, on different days, within 96 hours before their flights to Japan. They'll be tested again upon arrival.

They are expected to download an app that will monitor their location and be used for contact tracing, and to activate the app and location services when they land in Japan.

Any sort of socializing is severely limited. There's no tourism. They can travel only in Olympic vehicles. Unless they're eating, drinking, sleeping, training or competing, athletes are expected to be masked. 

At meal times, athletes are to keep two meters away from others – or eat by themselves.

Athletes staying in the Olympic Village are to eat there or at venues or other specially-permitted locations. Those staying elsewhere may only eat at catering facilities at Games venues, the restaurant at their hotel, or in their room using room service or food delivery.

Most will be competing in completely empty stadiums. You get tested. Daily. Which hasn't helped - growing numbers of athletes and support staff are testing positive. In fact, today (July 20) the US Gymnastics team decided to move out of the Olympic Village into a hotel - they want to better control their surroundings. 

There is a massive resurgence going on it Japan right now - it has declared a state of emergency through August. The guy running the Olympics in Japan right now had a press conference today - said there was still a slight possibility that the Games might have to be cancelled.

If Rory doesn't exactly sound excited about the Olympics, it isn't really surprising. 

I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to go to other events, either. Doesn't sound like much fun.

5 minutes ago, pbuck said:

Sorry dude but Patty Reed has been a top contender for a while now. You're grasping for straws!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nobody cares.....its a discussion on Rory's Patriotism or lack therof.....people love to hijack threads....lets keep it on topic

Edited by tsecor

On 7/19/2021 at 8:02 PM, mikkav said:

Unless you have lived where Rory has its difficult to understand the politics. 

I don't care if he's British.  Him supporting a British team is utterly irrelevant.  Lots of Irish ( from the Republic) support English clubs.  

I live in the South and recently enough I had occasion to do business in the North.  I was asked " how are they all in the free state" which in itself can be derogatory. 

Do a bit of research and realise how much of a tightrope the chap has to cross.  

It's 

This 100%

Listen I'm American, I don't live there and I didn't grow up there, but my grandfather did and I still have family over there in County Down. These people shy away from the simplest questions if it involves with where they're from or their religion. When I visit I'm shocked that they tell me not to say anything about being Catholic going out in Belfast. Just as recently as the 2019 Open Championship when I visited, me and a cousin went to Dublin and they let me into a bar with a random USA ID but wouldn't let my cousin into the pub because his ID said he was from the north. The politics there are crazy and a lot of people will never understand. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Americans are weirdly patriotic, most people outside of America don't share that same level about their own country.  

Not true. I am retired from pro sports. Played in Germany and Finland. Both are extremely patriotic. Played mostly in America.

Edited by Big GG
Spelling

On 7/19/2021 at 12:03 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Rory lives mostly in the USA and married a US girl.  I don't think the participation, or lack there of, in the Olympics  is much about patriotism.

I still say Rory got lazy toward golf because he has a ton of money and has other things he likes better, but is struggling to come to terms with it.

Sounds like a good problem to have!

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

16 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Aren’t most of us a little full of ourselves?

A little, yes.  However, some people with distorted underlying bias may be too full.   ID leads to knee-jerk reactions and immaturity, EGO influences ID and deals with reality; and SuperEgo reflects our core character, and judgment.  How in balance each of those segments are is a testament to mental health. 

Us adults that are mature and exhibit self-control, know when acting like an adolescent and azz is NOT appropriate. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I still think that representing your country as an athlete in the Olympics has to be one of the greatest honors. The athletes should be more appreciative of the opportunity they are given. If they are not appreciative of the opportunity, they should bow out and give the spot to another athlete. Perhaps, the Olympics should only have amateurs and no pros involved and that might help solve this issue. 

13 hours ago, PZero said:

It all ended with a broken glass table.

Rory is lucky, that could have really been a dangerous situation, for multiple reasons.  🙂

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly