Club champion acquires TXG (merged)

Damn I watched the TM videos and then blinked and find out Matt is leaving?

Nope, I'm out.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Exactly this, while this and other forums represent the most passionate and informed golfer base, it is litterally like 1% of the gofl buying public.  CC relies on it's heavy advertising and the consumer who is coming in off the street (yes offten from lofty CC's) for

fittings. 

I am on record as thinking the CC fitters there are great. I had a driver fitting there a few years ago where I learned a TON and made a huge, very successful change to my setup - going all the way to a 12* head, turned down one notch, combined with a lighter X flex shaft. I would absolutely do it again - while knowing I would never buy from them.

But their sales practices blow. I was fit into - at the time - a no upcharge shaft from TM...that they wanted full retail for in my quote. In other words it wasn't $500 for the driver plus what would be a free shaft from TM - it was $500 for the head and $250 for the shaft. From what I posted on here about my experience, mine was not unusual. So whatever, I knew most of that going in and I certainly know that now.

But Joe Public off the street doesnt care, he will buy whats put in front of him.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

16 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Damn I watched the TM videos and then blinked and find out Matt is leaving?

Nope, I'm out.

I am on record as thinking the CC fitters there are great. I had a driver fitting there a few years ago where I learned a TON and made a huge, very successful change to my setup - going all the way to a 12* head, turned down one notch, combined with a lighter X flex shaft. I would absolutely do it again - while knowing I would never buy from them.

But their sales practices blow. I was fit into - at the time - a no upcharge shaft from TM...that they wanted full retail for in my quote. In other words it wasn't $500 for the driver plus what would be a free shaft from TM - it was $500 for the head and $250 for the shaft. From what I posted on here about my experience, mine was not unusual. So whatever, I knew most of that going in and I certainly know that now.

But Joe Public off the street doesnt care, he will buy whats put in front of him.

If you went to the one in Rockville, I had a great fitting there a few years with Buddah.  He didn't bother with giving me a quote as I was upfront with him and told him I was getting the club for testing for a golf fourm and would happily pay the fitting fee.  I feel like he gave the fitting 100% effort knowing I wasn't goting to buy and evne commeting my swing seemed a bit off that day, as he had fit me before for another test...and told me I could coem back in a day or two if I wanted to double check the specs.  Just an absolute great experience fitting.

Contrast that to a fitting in the Baltimore store just 1 year ago, where I kind of had to ask to hit certain shaft combos. This time I was actually open to buying form them if everything was good to go.   In the end, I didn't feel comborable with the fitting results, thinking he was just trying to get me into something, and then the hard sale on the upgrded shafts came.   That's the CC that we all hear about and despise. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 hour ago, dalehead said:

It’s not just the lost subscribers, it’s guys who stay subscribed who no longer watch the channel. That’s likely a much bigger number than those who unsub. You might watch the number of views going forward compared to the Matt/Ian days.

Yep. It's the views that matter. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

slow to the news and just catching up. was odd seeing that new vid out today without Matt.  

sucks for those of us who are more intelligent than the average joe off the street just looking to be fit into something with a deep credit card.... cant say i was ever really happy with CC when i did a full bag fitting a few years ago...sure they set me up in a good setup but HATED the continual pressure to buy from them....why I wont be going back anytime soon and tell people to watch out if going there. Also hated how CC says they dont carry certain shafts "because of all the fakes on the market" well if ur supplier is legit then why wont you carry em? oh thats right probably not paid to carry em. hard to say you got a fair fitting if they dont carry one of the best shafts out there (Graphite Design). Luckily i was in there for an iron set fitting, but even then i wasnt thrilled i had to ask to test a couple irons out because it wasnt on their push list. 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:33 AM, jj9000 said:

Looks like TXG is going to have an overnight epiphany that Oban iron shafts and VA Composite wood shafts are... and have been... the best shafts players across the board...for years.

Guy I play with got the exact setup. With PXG heads no less. 

• Haha 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

So long unbiased reviews that aren’t pure Pollyanna. 

🤑🤮😓

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

9 hours ago, KBong said:

1000/179000 = 0.0056

You stated in both posts in a percentage (%).....therefore you have to multiple by 100 to get a percentage.

Therefore the drop is 0.56%.

EDIT....just saw the above post while I was typing my post.

I'm slow at typing....2 finger chicken plucking...even though I took typing in grade 9...but I didn't pay any attention to actual typing in class because I just looked at the teacher....she was a SMOKESHOW and the only reason I registered for the class.🤣

ya , math-doin, two finger-plucker you. 

• Haha 1

Matt leaving TXG reminds me A LOT of the time when Eben Britton left Mike Tyson's Youtube Channel.  When Eben was with him, the synergy between them was very similar to Matt and Ian.  Both had something to offer in an entertaining way.  He left in early 2021.  Now a year later, Tyson's channel hasn't been the same, in fact, he hasn't posted a new video in 3 months.  Don't think it will happen to TXG that fast but it will be a slow decline I think, especially if Ian's sidekick Mike is co-hosting.  He is hard to watch and listen to.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I just checked CC's YouTube channel. They have 2k subscribers. They clearly don't give two (bleeps) about YouTube. I'm certain all they wanted from TXG was an inroad into Canada for fitting and pushing over priced gear on poutine eating rubes.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-15-at-10_39.45-AM.jpg.25aea04561ec07175b6250865db18575.jpg

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, cgasucks said:

Matt leaving TXG reminds me A LOT of the time when Eben Britton left Mike Tyson's Youtube Channel.  When Eben was with him, the synergy between them was very similar to Matt and Ian.  Both had something to offer in an entertaining way.  He left in early 2021.  Now a year later, Tyson's channel hasn't been the same, in fact, he hasn't posted a new video in 3 months.  Don't think it will happen to TXG that fast but it will be a slow decline I think, especially if Ian's sidekick Mike is co-hosting.  He is hard to watch and listen to.

Seems like Mike lacks the confidence to say much with Ian there bit too much respect if you like.Easier for Matt being a bit more independent?

On 1/11/2022 at 9:43 PM, borloryau said:

Actually Matt was an expert.  He has his own production business, that was his job.

He was far from an expert on filming and audio,,production values were ok for amateurs, but not professional. Constant  audio, focus and colour issues. In fairness to Ian, they’ve obviously realised that they need to push values  the Taylormade video they put out last night has much better quality. They’ve clearly brought in professionals, colour, lighting, focus, audio, graphics and editing much improved over anything they’ve done. 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

20 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

If you went to the one in Rockville, I had a great fitting there a few years with Buddah.  He didn't bother with giving me a quote as I was upfront with him and told him I was getting the club for testing for a golf fourm and would happily pay the fitting fee.  I feel like he gave the fitting 100% effort knowing I wasn't goting to buy and evne commeting my swing seemed a bit off that day, as he had fit me before for another test...and told me I could coem back in a day or two if I wanted to double check the specs.  Just an absolute great experience fitting.

Contrast that to a fitting in the Baltimore store just 1 year ago, where I kind of had to ask to hit certain shaft combos. This time I was actually open to buying form them if everything was good to go.   In the end, I didn't feel comborable with the fitting results, thinking he was just trying to get me into something, and then the hard sale on the upgrded shafts came.   That's the CC that we all hear about and despise. 

Buddha was great.  Nick at CC Rockville store is awesome. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I guess all good things come to an end and I hope Matt finds success going forward.

Don't write Mike off yet. If you watch TXG's early videos, Matt was pretty awkward before he grew into his role.

Mike seemed to talk more and be a little more comfortable in the new OG SIM, Sim2, and Stealth video. 

• Like 1

Obviously the departure of Matt is a tough one and from what we can tell, a bit abrupt.  It does sound like he realizes that he had a pretty good gig with TXG where he could take on a bunch of other projects while running TXG youtube channel.  Unfortunately, when you are basically a contractor, that freedom can come at a cost and an acquisition can change quickly change your situation.  Hopefully it works out for all.

I have to disagree with the comments saying this is the beginning of the end for TXG youtube.  Those expecting Mike to jump in and fill the spot right away are being completely unrealistic.  They have also said they're not going to try and fill the role with a single person.  Pieces of it, such as video production can easily be replaced.  They need to get some other people hitting balls, Ian is best when he's behind the desk.  Matt and Ian had great chemistry and that will take time to build with other people.  The one thing in TXG that is not replaceable is the deep knowledge that Ian brings to every basically every subject they touch.  As long as that is still there I think they will figure out ways to make it work.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

So long unbiased reviews that aren’t pure Pollyanna. 

🤑🤮😓

I fear this is true as well.  I don't think they are gonna outright lie, but it's how you tell the story of why new product is better than old.  Their pressure from boss company will be to entice people to get fitted and buy new product. 

Again I don't think that means they lie, just need to take everything with a grain of salt as they will pick and choose what to focus on.  Sure one video dispersion will be why you should by new club A, and next video it's the extra distance even though dispersion was worse with new club B compared to last years model, etc. 

These things never happen where big parent company lets small acquired company keep operating the way they are. It's why In 1-2 years you'll see TXG using trackman for fittings but it'll be spun that the new Titleist ball makes it a superior product. The promise of no change is to get signatures on contracts. 

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

5 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Buddha was great.  Nick at CC Rockville store is awesome. 

Yeah I believe it was Nick I talked to also once when I was there.   Great guy. That is one location I never had a bad experience with. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

7 hours ago, casey_0507 said:

I fear this is true as well.  I don't think they are gonna outright lie, but it's how you tell the story of why new product is better than old.  Their pressure from boss company will be to entice people to get fitted and buy new product. 

Again I don't think that means they lie, just need to take everything with a grain of salt as they will pick and choose what to focus on.  Sure one video dispersion will be why you should by new club A, and next video it's the extra distance even though dispersion was worse with new club B compared to last years model, etc. 

These things never happen where big parent company lets small acquired company keep operating the way they are. It's why In 1-2 years you'll see TXG using trackman for fittings but it'll be spun that the new Titleist ball makes it a superior product. The promise of no change is to get signatures on contracts. 

Yah. You gotta take a lot of what you see there with a grain of salt anyways.  Even the Quad data they show on screen is just averages, and can be easily manipulated by picking and choosing which shots are counted.  I've seen some posts out there that show that club A was far superior to club B, but when you look into the individual shot data for Club B, there's clearly some outliers in there skewing the data.

Don't take everything you see on the internet at face value.  Just understand what you're looking at 

• Like 3

Mike adds nothing and with Ian hitting balls, you quickly realize it's just two salesmen reading the OEM's marketing notes while hitting into a net. 

Also, their Quad is glitching again. On the latest Srixon ball "review" they're getting 292y carry and 316y total on a 165mph ball speed. Plugging those numbers into Flightscope I get 270y carry, 281y total. 

Screenshot 2022-01-16 104603.png

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

7 hours ago, RCGA said:

Mike adds nothing and with Ian hitting balls, you quickly realize it's just two salesmen reading the OEM's marketing notes while hitting into a net. 

Also, their Quad is glitching again. On the latest Srixon ball "review" they're getting 292y carry and 316y total on a 165mph ball speed. Plugging those numbers into Flightscope I get 270y carry, 281y total. 

Screenshot 2022-01-16 104603.png

They are definitely setting the elevation and temperature high. 

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar